• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm inclined to agree, I can game for hours but can only sex for about 20-30 seconds at a time, it's just basic numbers game.

blacklaughingman.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't have an idea specific to your problem, but I want to add a +1 to eventually upgrading your PSU. Even if, as the link derExperte posted shows, you'd only need maybe 300W at full load, that would put a fair amount of stress on your 430W PSU having to run that close to capacity for extended periods. A PSU at 600W or higher would handle the same load with much less effort, meaning it runs cooler and quieter and ultimately lives a lot longer.

I can't remember, is an 80% efficient (bronze) 430W PSU a PSU that draws 535W and outputs 430W or a PSU that draws 430W and outputs 344W? Because if it's the latter, we're much closer to overloading the PSU, no?

Amazon are willing to refund my monitor :)

Anyone got any suggestions for good monitors? I'm looking at 27" 2560x1440 resolution

I have the Dell UltraSharp U2715H, which is exactly that (27", 1440P). Love the IPS colors (which come factory-tuned to be pretty accurate), love the tiny bezel, the thing is great as long as you don't need to go above 60FPS.

derExperte

I can't remember, is an 80% efficient (bronze) 430W PSU a PSU that draws 535W and outputs 430W or a PSU that draws 430W and outputs 344W? Because if it's the latter, we're much closer to overloading the PSU, no?

this

Though the efficiency depends on the power draw, the 80% will only be reached in a certain range.

madjoki

It would be pretty stupid to not take "free" money from Kickstarter.

I imagine that should you replace your motherboard after the free upgrade offer has expired, you'll no longer be able to jump from 7 to 10 for free.

Yup. Sucks, since I have tons of Win7/8/8.1 keys.

If it's good PSU, it's rated by output.

Just watched it. That is so cool! You can now play all your 3DS games on your monitor or even the big screen. So nice.
250 bucks to get one's 3DS is pretty hefty, I agree with you. But hey, I am happy you did it :) Gives me a chance to see some 3DS reviews of you.
Another slightly off-topic question. I only ever used a DS-Lite once and it felt not very well ergonomically. Buttons and Dpad were tiny and generally holding it in my two hands felt not good. Worst were the shoulder buttons. How does a 3DS XL fare in that part?
I think that you'll find it much more comfortable to hold. I had a DS Lite from 2007 to 2012, which is when I got my 3DS XL, and I wondered how I ever used that small thing. I've got big hands so the bigger size makes it more comfortable to play.
SteamGAF, halp!

I put my new 970 into mobo, put up 8 pin PCI-Express power cord (in correct orientation).
Booting the computer, both CPU and GPU fans spin, but it hangs on the BIOS screen.
Switched back to 750 TI, no problem - so I didn't fry anything, luckily.

The card is getting juice from PSU, since the fans spin.
Question - is it getting enough juice? I have 430W PSU, which should be enough to drive the card (according to Gigabyte 400W minimum when coupled with i7).
Or is this a mobo issue? Should I try upgrading BIOS, or would new PSU be a better choice here?

Gigabyte B75M-D3V mobo, Gigabyte 970 MiniITX, Corsair CX430M.
Tried both the PSU 8-pin connecter and the one supplied with the card (2 molex->8 pin), no dice.
Tried unplugging two HDDs, no dice.

Anyone have some idea?
I have a Gigabyte motherboard and I had to update its BIOS when I installed my MSI 970. The PC would eventually boot but it spent ages on the splash screen.
Speaking of Vita, here's one Vita game I'd like to see on Steam, seeing as we get a lot of Vita ports anyways :V
250px-Lost_Dimension_boxart.png

Framerate is atrocious at various parts of the game, but it plays like Valkyria Chronicles somewhat, so playing it with a better framerate would make the experience better.

Would also be a good chance for Furyu to start on Steam if they haven't already :p
The frame rate is much better on the PS3 but I'd still like to see it on PC as well.
FuRyu game on pc?
uGndp54.gif
Who is the woman on the left? For science
<_<
>_>
That too, the Vita's battery is fantastic. you could press the PS Button to 'pause' a game, leave it for like a week and then come back to see it still has like 50% charge left.
My problems with the battery come when I'm actually using the Vita. I don't get more than a few hours of play time before it has to charge. Sadly, it's been in my drawer for over a year so this is kind of moot.
Neat, but I hope Capcom looks elsewhere for a game to remaster after Resident Evil 2...

latest
How do I get spoiler images to work? Clicking does nothing.
header.jpg

i put the steamgaf room back up for anyone interested in playing.

right now i'm spectating cause i have some stuff to do
I'm on my way!

Edit: I can't seem to join. It's steamgaf for the name and password, right?

Tizoc

OH SHIT
OH SHIT
OH SHIT!

THE BEST DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS COMIC SERIES IS ON HUMBLEBUNDLE.COM!
https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Just get Tier 1, John Rogers' run (the 3 volumes) is among the best and funniest comics I've read in years, and I'm not even a D&D fan.

Seriously get at least tier 1 those comics are fantastic.

i closed it.

i have to be heading out again soon
Ah well, I'll go back to The Witcher...
...I'll make my own Rocket League. With blackjack. And hoookers. In fact, forget the blackjack.
duty calls

if it means anything, Rocket League is tonight on the Alienware Twitch stream!

http://www.twitch.tv/alienware
Excellent. I knew that taking a nap instead of going to the gym was a good idea :p My PS4 gets annoyingly loud when playing it so getting the PC version would be great.

duty calls

if it means anything, Rocket League is tonight on the Alienware Twitch stream!

http://www.twitch.tv/alienware
Thanks for heads up.
Daaang, the dedication :eek: When will your thirst for +1s ever be satiated buddy???
I think that you'll find it much more comfortable to hold. I had a DS Lite from 2007 to 2012, which is when I got my 3DS XL, and I wondered how I ever used that small thing. I've got big hands so the bigger size makes it more comfortable to play.
Exactly! I felt DS-Lite was made only for children palms. I got big extremities, I can't help it.

zkylon

zkylewd
i gotta get on the rocket league business i think

tho probably not, feels like it's one of those games i'll play like 2 times with salsa and never play again

Microsoft's Win10 upgrade page states:

I imagine that should you replace your motherboard after the free upgrade offer has expired, you'll no longer be able to jump from 7 to 10 for free.
my question is in a year or whatever, i've been using win10 for all this time and everything breaks down again because im cursed and i have to replace motherboard and other parts, will i be able to keep using win10 or will it roll me back to 8.1

like, it'd be nice if it just upgraded your key, that'd be so much simpler...

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
my question is in a year or whatever, i've been using win10 for all this time and everything breaks down again because im cursed and i have to replace motherboard and other parts, will i be able to keep using win10 or will it roll me back to 8.1

Can you use a freeware key finder to get the key on your current machine though?
Did that for a fresh reinstall of my brothers laptop with 8.1

madjoki

Yup, you won't be able to activate Windows 10, if you change your hardware. Even if your previous license allows transfers.
So you'd have to return to W8.1.

Can you use a freeware key finder to get the key on your current machine though?
Did that for a fresh reinstall of my brothers laptop with 8.1

All Windows 10 upgrades will use same generic key and activation is based on "hardware hash".

derExperte

Excellent. I knew that taking a nap instead of going to the gym was a good idea :p My PS4 gets annoyingly loud when playing it so getting the PC version would be great.

They still haven't fixed that? Fan started already revving up when only in the menu so I figured it's a fixable bug. I could test myself but then I'd need to hook up my PS4. Nah. Need it on Steam.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Yup, you won't be able to activate Windows 10, if you change your hardware. Even if your previous license allows transfers.
So you'd have to return to W8.1.

All Windows 10 upgrades will use same generic key and activation is based on "hardware hash".

ah hell.

Caerith

some positive news today for achievements hunters out there. thanks steam, it took 2 years too long to fix it but you did it!

Still, would be nice if the offending devs would fix their games.

(Having played TF2, CSS, and Day of Defeat for summer/winter sale achievements, I'll pretty much never reach 100% anyway.)

zkylon

zkylewd
i mean dont get me wrong, i've got no issues with doing what every other argie does and just pirating the thing, but i wanted to try the experience of legit windows for once i guess.

sucks that they came up with such a convoluted and shitty system, i know a lot of people that were actually buying windows for the first time in their lives because of this move and sadly i'll just have to advice them against it

AHA-Lambda

I have the Dell UltraSharp U2715H, which is exactly that (27", 1440P). Love the IPS colors (which come factory-tuned to be pretty accurate), love the tiny bezel, the thing is great as long as you don't need to go above 60FPS.

Hmm, I'm a little wary just cos my now broken one is also a Dell Ultrasharp :p

How long you had it?

In the meantime, anyone got any impressions on this? I admit I'm not sure what to look for in a monitor but it ticks my boxes, plus good reviews and price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H51Q4MK/

Knurek

It turns out that it was indeed a mobo BIOS issue.
After flashing the system POSTed.
And than BSODed while loading Windows.
Repeatedly. Also when in safe mode. All the time.

If only I checked Google before trying to debug the problem, I would be up two hours ago.
Alas...
Tried switching back to 750 TI. POST ok, BSOD as well.
Ohshi...
Tried switching back to onboard GPU (did I fry PCI-Express?). POST ok, BSOD.
Ohshi^3...
Okay, bad BIOS flash, obviously. I had a spare mobo (don't ask), so I quickly gutted the whole system, all the cables, CPU etc..
Ohshi... I don't have a thermal paste to reapply... Oh well, I'll have to make do without for today, let's reassemble everything.
POST ok, BSOD while booting.
Okay, let's google the shit out of the BSOD error.
What do you mean INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE?
Wait, didn't I have the same situation a few years back? Quick google...
Yea, BIOS flash -> default CMOS settings -> AHCI reverted to IDE mode.
Let's change it back, and let's put 970 to see if it'll work.
It works.
Yayifications.
Of course due to insufficient heat removal (and ambient temp being ungodly high right now), my CPU idles at 50C and shows top temperature at workload of 68C so far.
Which is a tad higher than maximum working temp Intel suggests...
No gaming today, it seems (well, maybe a few minutes of Witcher 3 to see if I can do 1080p60). And I need to buy either another cooler or a thermal paste tomorrow.
Will see if the PSU handles load as well.
Thanks for all suggestions guys. Going to try W3 and will go to sleep - I'm starting my shift in 5 hours, will probably still be in full zombie mode for the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom