• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

Saw this indie game released recently: Celestian Tales: Old North

header.jpg

Any impressions from you guys? I haven't played a JRPG in ages, but this randomly caught my eye. Kinda feels Suikoden-esque. Or maybe I'm just in a nostalgic mood.

Arthea

It might have already been discussed but are there any noteworthy games in the "Japanese Indie Game Festival" sale on Steam atm?

If you like VNs, all on sale are good.

Most games on that sale are good, you can safely buy every playism game too if you don't have those yet.

This Friday we are playing Killing Floor 2 on Euro game night, murricans are welcome too.

It only has up to 6 player coop so seats will be limited, but I'm not sure how many people will actually have the game.

header.jpg

1 - NingenJanai
2 -
3 -
4 -
5 -
6 -

t1439578800z0.png

Can't say I am too surprised. Secret World killed them. I remember them somehow getting an E3 trailer for it and then it launched as a $50 not counting the sub. Despite most of the marketing being online, it looked like it was a lot of money.

The Secret World still interests me and I'd like to pick it up someday, but in absolutely no rush.

I'm part of the problem.

Maniac

Banned
This Friday we are playing Killing Floor 2 on Euro game night, murricans are welcome too.

It only has up to 6 player coop so seats will be limited, but I'm not sure how many people will actually have the game.

header.jpg

1 - NingenJanai
2 -
3 -
4 -
5 -
6 -

t1439578800z0.png
I'd totally join; I should be getting KF2 later today! :3
Does Shadow play impart any measurable lag or performance loss on a system?

Not really. It's negligible at best. Even when streaming there's very little loss, only a tiny handful of single-digit frames.

derExperte

I should play Secret World before they turn off the servers which will happen eventually even if they find a buyer.

Doesn't matter, I'm the only one you need.

rtcn63

Shadowplay would cause my desktop icons to refresh too frequently. Not sure if it's detrimental in any way, but it was annoying.

yuraya

So Original Sin 2 will be a 2017 title most likely since they are doing KS. So maybe early access next year and release following year.

Whenever it releases it will win SteamGAF GOTY just like the first one ;) no doubt.

header.jpg

1 - NingenJanai
2 - Maniac
3 - derExperte
4 - corrosivefrost
5 - ricochetguro
6 - Spirited
7 - freshveggie
8 - Roboleon
9 - Se7enSword
10 -
11 -
12 -

t1439578800z0.png

Dr Dogg

Does Shadow play impart any measurable lag or performance loss on a system?

Latency? Not that I'm aware of and certainly none that you'd notice unless you are superhuman but obviously comes with a performances hit that has fluctuated between a couple of % to about 5% throughout its lifetime. Might be a different performance hit depending on GPU but to be fair unless you're right at the limit of your GPU it's not something I tend to notice. At one point there was a huge hit for SLI setups where you'd pretty much lose a GPUs worth of performance (which oddly wasn't the case in the beta and initial release) but that got patched ages ago. Regardless applications that use NVEC (ShadowPlay, OBS etc) have a performance hit that is way, way, way less than other methods of recording or encoding video on the fly.

Arthea

yesterday's update screwed steam in many ways, most annoying are false item count (it's doubled for some reason at times) and double login yet again. I thought it was fixed for good but it's back.

Deques

Seems like a 2-3 frame difference for the most part.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7492/the-geforce-gtx-780-ti-review/3

tbh, 2-3 fps difference isn't that much. Other video recorders that I have used are much worse than ShadowPlay, even the very popular fraps has much higher frame drops than ShadowPlay

There are two modes in ShadowPlay. The Shadow Mode that saves the last 20 minutes gameplay and the Manual mode that records your gameplay live. Both I haven't seen any significant performance drop

Marow

Been playing Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming but I'm not really feeling it. Unlike its predecessor, this one is a straightforward RPG with clichés... exactly what it once made fun of. Add tons of dialogue, grinding and it's just... ehhh. I've reached the part where you get a giant castle which to me is nothing but a huge turnoff :'<

The map editor is rather crazy, though, and the community maps are fun.

I still need to play Original Sin a bit more. Only made it an hour or two in. Unfortunately, the type of game it is isn't very conducive to my shorter play sessions. I feel like you really need to dedicate some time to really get into the game.

Dsyndrome

Have you tried VMWare Workstation or Player?
I have some virtual machines working great on Windows 10 including Kali Linux, Elementary OS and OS X Yosemite.

Might give that a look this weekend, thanks!

I'm all for D: OS II, I don't have a problem with folks returning to the Kickstarter well if they've proven to deliver an engaging experience already (HBS, inXile). If the alternative is that they have to kowtow to publishers and the date will be way later because of it, then I'm for Kickstarter all the way.

Dr Dogg

I still need to play Original Sin a bit more. Only made it an hour or two in. Unfortunately, the type of game it is isn't very conducive to my shorter play sessions. I feel like you really need to dedicate some time to really get into the game.

I've got to the stage right now that unless a game has gripped me by the unmentionables that I usually mange a fleeting 30 mins before losing interest and pop something else on but my game time has dropped off a cliff for a while now. Then again I've been like that for the last 10 or so years and it took me like 5 years to finish Halo 3 which I remember folks moaning about at the time for having a short campaign.

Pachimari

I must say, that I am super happy about my Razor Tartarus. Especially after having used it with Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. It just feels very nice. Though, I wish it didn't slip too much on my table.

Milamber

header.jpg

1 - NingenJanai
2 - Maniac
3 - derExperte
4 -
5 -
6 -

t1439578800z0.png

It should be pretty simple to automate this with Modbot right?

Dr Dogg

If I was feeling really fastidious/bureaucratic I would suggest maybe setting up a 2v2 Rocket League League but the game is a bit shit at tracking that so might be a bit more work than I'd be willing to do and still have a blast. I've already got works' Fantasy Football to update and keep me busy as is.

Milamber

I must say, that I am super happy about my Razor Tartarus. Especially after having used it with Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. It just feels very nice. Though, I wish it didn't slip too much on my table.

Is your table made of astroglide?

Just take a damp cloth to your huge rubber feet and wipe them clean. Table too.

Pachimari

Heh, it's just a cheap dinner table made of wood.
Which reminds me that I need to get a bigger computer table someday, but surely not this year.

Aaron D.

Stupid Steam Question Hour

OR

Steam For Dummies

I purchased a new gaming laptop (Yea!) and installed a few Steam games last night from my 700+ library. Mostly the stuff I knew would likely not be deleted for the life of the hardware (EU4, CK2, Farming Sim 15).

I started downloading GTA V (60 GB!) before leaving for work today and noticed from my desktop at work that the download is now complete. However, the game is obviously not installed.

Should I wait until I actually get home and install GTA V before downloading anymore games? I have the option to download more titles remotely from work, but am wondering if it will screw up HDD file placement. I.E. GTA will need more space on the HDD to unpack & install so dropping more downloads on top of it before unpacking will unoptimize/fragment my HDD.

What do you guys think? I'm not in a huge rush to install 20 games or anything, but given the option to do it remotely worry-free, I'd keep downloading.

Thanks!

Dr Dogg

spiderphobe is not a word -__-

Of course it is. Spiderphobia would be the condition of a fear of spiders where as a spiderphobe is a person who is due to phobe being a person who is afraid or has a fear of what is specified by the prefix word in this case spider.

Milamber

Heh, it's just a cheap dinner table made of wood.
Which reminds me that I need to get a bigger computer table someday, but surely not this year.

Madre de Dios Madridista! Don't you have an IKEA nearby? Just buy a TORNLIDEN table top and four ADILS legs and you're done. Costs about the same price as a full priced game.

header.jpg

1 - NingenJanai
2 - Maniac
3 - derExperte
4 - corrosivefrost
5 - ricochetguro
6 -
* -
* -
* -

t1439578800z0.png
I will play, although I am a dirty American

Pachimari

Madre de Dios Madridista! Don't you have an IKEA nearby? Just buy a TORNLIDEN table top and four ADILS legs and you're done. Costs about the same price as a full priced game.
Yeah I got an Ikea, though the TORNLIDEN table tops I'm seeing on their website aren't particularly big - they actually looks smaller than the one I already got. I might go there just to take a look at what they got, and the cheapest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom