• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Weird multiplayer horror game The Flock, with it's "each time a player dies, the population decreases and eventually the game will just end", is offering a deal if you pre-order on Humble Store. Pre-order and get a second copy to give away.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Of course due to insufficient heat removal (and ambient temp being ungodly high right now), my CPU idles at 50C and shows top temperature at workload of 68C so far.
Which is a tad higher than maximum working temp Intel suggests...
No gaming today, it seems (well, maybe a few minutes of Witcher 3 to see if I can do 1080p60). And I need to buy either another cooler or a thermal paste tomorrow.
Will see if the PSU handles load as well.
Thanks for all suggestions guys. Going to try W3 and will go to sleep - I'm starting my shift in 5 hours, will probably still be in full zombie mode for the next day.

68° is fine. My 2600K hits ~90° when running at 4.4GHz because I lost a thumb screw while installing the DeepCool Maelstrom 240 and so it's not quite seated properly.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Weird multiplayer horror game The Flock, with it's "each time a player dies, the population decreases and eventually the game will cease working online", is offering a deal if you pre-order on Humble Store. Pre-order and get a second copy to give away.

They're pushing a much higher price point than I imagined they would for a game with such a limited lifespan.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Steam Idle Master 1.2 has been released. This version should automatically update for those that already have 1.1 installed within the next 24 hours.

Here is a list of changes made in this release:
  • Added checks in Idle Master to see if the user’s authentication details had expired. This previously caused some users’ badge information not to load correctly.
  • Fixed a bug that would cause Steam Guard codes not to be properly recognized by the system. This was due to a change Valve made for clients using IE7 Standards rendering mode.
  • Fixed a bug that could sometimes cause Idle Master to get stuck while displaying “Idle Master is saving your information” after logging in.
  • Fixed a bug where “Idling Complete” would not be visible to the user under certain circumstances. This caused some confusion because the program otherwise appeared to be functioning normally although nothing was happening.
A "portable" version is also available for download from http://www.steamidlemaster.com. If you are currently running the portable version of Idle Master, simply download the new portable version and extract the files over the top of your existing ones to update.

You can also force the update by re-running the setup program from the website.

If you encounter any issues, please use the Idle Master discussion board or this thread and I'll do my best to help. Happy Idling!

EDIT: wow someone actually posted this announcement before me! I'm impressed you guys!

68° is fine. My 2600K hits ~90° when running at 4.4GHz because I lost a thumb screw while installing the DeepCool Maelstrom 240 and so it's not quite seated properly.
90°C? That can't be good for your CPU.
Also, I was just joking with your Divinity post. No hard feelings :)

JaseC

90°C? That can't be good for your CPU.
Also, I was just joking with your Divinity post. No hard feelings :)

Probably not, but five months have passed and it still works. ;) I should clarify that <70° is ideal territory and doesn't simply look good because it compares well to my situation.

derExperte

Probably not, but five months have passed and it still works. ;) I should clarify that <70° is ideal territory in absolute terms and not just compared to my situation.

It will shorten the lifespan of the CPU and is well beyond the official limits. I also don't understand why you'd buy such an expensive cooler and then not bother fixing this rather minor issue to get the most out of it. I mean the manufacturer would probably send you replacement screws if asked.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
header.jpg

i put the steamgaf room back up for anyone interested in playing.

right now i'm spectating cause i have some stuff to do

How do I join this?

Uzzy

Playing some more NaissanceE, and it kinda feels like my graphics card is just crashing and spitting out whatever random objects it wants, but forming into some amazing pattern. It reminds me of the movie Pi, but just like that movie, the game's driving me insane.

Knurek

Bah, my CPU is the limiting factor now.
Can't really seem to reach 1080p60 in Witcher 3 - it's hovering at that range, but streaming any assets plummets the framerate to 40-55 fps. Will need to try and move the game to SSD, maybe that helps.
(And of course, not play the game when Steam, Origin and GOG Galaxy download updates for games).

JaseC

It will shorten the lifespan of the CPU and is well beyond the official limits. I also don't understand why you'd buy such an expensive cooler and then not bother fixing this rather minor issue to get the most out of it. I mean the manufacturer would probably send you replacement screws if asked.

I like to live on the edge. The edge of irresponsibility.

Corpekata

Banned
Bah, my CPU is the limiting factor now.
Can't really seem to reach 1080p60 in Witcher 3 - it's hovering at that range, but streaming any assets plummets the framerate to 40-55 fps. Will need to try and move the game to SSD, maybe that helps.
(And of course, not play the game when Steam, Origin and GOG Galaxy download updates for games).

Surprised at this, I've found Witcher 3 one of the more CPU friendly open world type games. Rarely find it using more than 50 - 60 percent of my cores.

They still haven't fixed that? Fan started already revving up when only in the menu so I figured it's a fixable bug. I could test myself but then I'd need to hook up my PS4. Nah. Need it on Steam.
It was loud last night but I haven't tried it with the new patch. Hopefully it's fixed but I'd still like a new sacrifice for my 970.

Salsa

ive had my i5 2500k at 4.4ghz for more than like 4 years now and it surely reaches 85-90 with the bigger games. its been fine

same with the OCed 980

hot and steamy

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
ah, ok. I was a bit confused about the "Buy Now" menu option that came with the update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom