• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

new RL DLC is amazing

airb1s8r.png

dat ntiro boost

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Did you not pay attention to any dialogue?

Specifically Dark Souls 2, the Maiden tells you a fair bit about the story and why you're doing what you're doing.

It's been a while since Dark Souls 1, but most of the NPC dialogue provides the story.

I admit I paid too little attention to it. That actually led to some hilarious situations, like trying to clear New Londo Ruins before clearing Anor Londo etc. :D

I guess I have a particularly hard time getting immersed in fantasy stories, sadly.

What I will say though, is that the atmosphere, setting and mood of both Hotline Miami and Dark Souls is fantastic!

zkylon

zkylewd
You play games for Spiders?
i don't play games because of spiders

It's just my view on those particular games. I highly appreciate the story in a lot of other games.
hehe was just poking fun :p

to me games with stories/lore that aren't readily apparent are way more interesting and keep me hooked because progression means u not only get to understand a bit more on how to play the game and be good at it but also make sense of its world and characters

Jawmuncher

From the Remake 2 announcement thread, people were consistently ranking RE6 low in the entire series. Revelations 2 was actually her well received, will have to take a look at that after discounting the series from my impressions of the first game.

It's all about being open minded. I will say if you play ever RE game expecting it to be scary/tense like REmake or in the vain of 4 you're going to come out disappointed. Every game has its strong and low points.

But I will say every canon game I think is worth playing at least once.

Dr Dogg

From the Remake 2 announcement thread, people were consistently ranking RE6 low in the entire series. Revelations 2 was actually her well received, will have to take a look at that after discounting the series from my impressions of the first game.

And you "believe" them on their ability of being able to order and rank things in lists?

Come on you know things don't work that way and one man's junk is another man's treasure. If someone can't be bothered to offer up some reasons why they didn't like something or why they prefer another title than another then from a purely informational point it's worthless as are most lists that folks do love to do for games.

Let's try this properly shall we. Resident Evil is a bit of a weird series, starting out as a more exploritary games with survival on minimal resources and puzzle solving for progression for the first handful of games before switching to a more action and shooter focus from 4 onwards. It has a fan base that either like the earlier efforts but dislike the more modern direction, garnered a new set of fans after the change in direction but they're still not keen on the earlier entries and also has folks like myself who like both styles on their own respective terms (I even like the light gun games!). Seeing as REmake 2 is more the earlier style I'm not surprised of the general 6 hate.

Now I can see why some folks don't like 6. There are those who aren't keen on the action and coop focus of the newer titles. When the game initially came out you really could bounce around the campaigns like you can now and had to progress through long chapters that don't have very good story flow (see Riposte's UnOT OP for a good recommended order). There might even be people with genuine gripes for the game based on mechanics and story but what you have is one of the most mechanically deep third person shooters ever. Lots of the games core systems have been streamlined so you're not pissing about in menus, juggling inventory space and bogging the pace of the game down. Granted I can see why that doesn't appeal to some but that doesn't automatically make it a bad game just one that some folks might not like.

In terms of mechanics you have a robust melee system that is a little different from 4 & 5 where you had to incapacitate your foe to setup melee outside the knife (with 5 adding chain attacks). You have melee dedicated on the fire button now but you can conter an opponent and stagger then melee to execute a special but you have a bit more choice. You can now light stagger, headshot stagger, back stagger and heavy stagger (which you can then perform your characters signature melee move or their Coup de Grace). These are also helped by a new gun mechanic the quick shot which links into the new stamian guage and differs depending what type of gun you are using and has a different effect. Shotguns will stun several opponents infront of you while something like a pistol will only hit the nears opponent but have massive critical hit damage. Plus each character has a unique quick shot skill for certain weapons (Leon with his pistol, Chris his knife, Sherry her stun rod etc). Of course you also have Jake who being Wesker's son and all is a bit tasty when it comes to melee and he has some god like combos you can chain together over various stances provided you got the stamina left.

Then you have lots of extra mobility mechanics not only the series hasn't offered before but is way above the stop and pop cover shooters that saturated last gen. So you can slide whilst dashing ala Vanquish but you can also place remote mines while doing this. You can roll forwards as well as backwards and then lie prone which chains into sideways rolling. You can also dodge and dash melee attack too. while you may have a cover system the game is at its best when you're constantly on the move.

I've pretty much skimmed over this but you can see there's quite a bit of depth there plus for further reading check out Neiteio's thread on the things the game doesn't teach you.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494812

And that's forgetting coop which really takes a step up in RE6, with Chris's campaign being a shining example of coop balance between the two characters and their skill sets. Plus Mercenaries in 6 is by far and away the best version of this mode.

So in short (otherwise I'd go on for hours) no RE6 isn't a bad game just one that some don't like.

Salsa

AgreeableSpectacularCrab.gif

been contacting Psyonix about a NeoGAF community flag

not much of a stretch to make it happen I think, but tweet at them or something brojans

AHA-Lambda

Urgh, Thief 2's later levels have fallen into the same folly that the first game did; a relance on you finding secrets that are never told to you.

Example
The last level I played has you in a 3 floor mansion where you're objective is to discover a secret passageway. Now through necessity you have no idea where it is from the start. Fair enough, I can buy that.

Overhearing some guards in one room of the mansion (which I didn't reach for some time through my fumbling) I discover that the passageway is opened by a clockface, only problem is it's broken.

So now I have to explore this huge mansion to find a clockface of which there are multiple and find some missing clock parts too, both of which I have no clues where they are >_<

Some may disagree with me, as it is a classic after all, but I find this sort of thing very infuriating, and I then have resort to walkthroughs. Earlier levels were much more enjoyable and didn't pull this shit.

I admit it's been a long time but I don't remember having this bother with the 3rd game, and it's probably my favourite. Still better than the 2014 one :p

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Same devs / game universe. Shares some mechanics in the hero control too.

There's even a whole section in Van Helsing 1 that plays like a Deathtrap demo.

I'm sure the high praises from the GAF community have contributed to some sales. Might as well give us a flag!

Never blindly buy into gaf hype.

Some may disagree with me, as it is a classic after all, but I find this sort of thing very infuriating, and I then have resort to walkthroughs.

Still better than the 2014 one :p

Classic is an opinion and this subjective. So who cares if some consider it classic.

And you "believe" them on their ability of being able to order and rank things in lists?

Come on you know things don't work that way and one man's junk is another man's treasure. If someone can't be bothered to offer up some reasons why they didn't like something or why they prefer another title than another then from a purely informational point it's worthless as are most lists that folks do love to do for games.

Let's try this properly shall we. Resident Evil is a bit of a weird series, starting out as a more exploritary games with survival on minimal resources and puzzle solving for progression for the first handful of games before switching to a more action and shooter focus from 4 onwards. It has a fan base that either like the earlier efforts but dislike the more modern direction, garnered a new set of fans after the change in direction but they're still not keen on the earlier entries and also has folks like myself who like both styles on their own respective terms (I even like the light gun games!). Seeing as REmake 2 is more the earlier style I'm not surprised of the general 6 hate.

Now I can see why some folks don't like 6. There are those who aren't keen on the action and coop focus of the newer titles. When the game initially came out you really could bounce around the campaigns like you can now and had to progress through long chapters that don't have very good story flow (see Riposte's UnOT OP for a good recommended order). There might even be people with genuine gripes for the game based on mechanics and story but what you have is one of the most mechanically deep third person shooters ever. Lot's of the games core systems have been streamlined so you're not pissing about in menus, juggling inventory space and bogging the pace of the game down. Granted I can see why that doesn't appeal to some but that doesn't automatically make it a bad game just one that some folks might not like.

In terms of mechanics you have a robust melee system that is a little different from 4 & 5 where you had to incapacitate your foe to setup melee outside the knife (with 5 adding chain attacks). You have melee dedicated on the fire button now but you can conter an opponent and stagger then melee to execute a special but you have a bit more choice. You can now light stagger, headshot stagger, back stagger and heavy stagger (which you can then perform your characters signature melee move or their Coup de Grace). These are also helped by a new gun mechanic the quick shot which links into the new stamian guage and differs depending what type of gun you are using and has a different effect. Shotguns will stun several opponents infront of you while something like a pistol will only hit the nears opponent but have massive critical hit damage. Plus each character has a unique quick shot skill for certain weapons (Leon with his pistol, Chris his knife, Sherry her stun rod etc). Of course you also have Jake who being Wesker's son and all is a bit tasty when it comes to melee and he has some god like combos you can chain together over various stances provided you got the stamina left.

Then you have lots of extra mobility mechanics not only the series hasn't offered before but is way above the stop and pop cover shooters that saturated last gen. So you can slide whilst dashing ala Vanquish but you can also place remote mines while doing this. You can roll forwards as well as backwards and then lie prone which chains into sideways rolling. You can also dodge and dash melee attack too. while you may have a cover system the game is at its best when you're constantly on the move.

I've pretty much skimmed over this but you can see there's quite a bit of depth there plus for further reading check out Neiteio's thread on the things the game doesn't teach you.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494812

And that's forgetting coop which really takes a step up in RE6, with Chris's campaign being a shining example of coop balance between the two characters and their skill sets. Plus Mercenaries in 6 is by far and away the best version of this mode.

So in short (otherwise I'd go on for hours) no RE6 isn't a bad game just one that some don't like.

Have I ever told you that I like you sometimes? ;)

Grief.exe

That wasn't just based on lists. There was some significant discussion on the title, and the majority conceded just how well the game plays mechanically. I'm interested in playing the game from that perspective alone.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1093044

this thread bums me out

I want Viva Piñata on Steam badly

Viva Pinata was so awesome. I think it would do quite well on Steam as well.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Resident Evil 6 is a game i dread getting into because I sense that I'll totally play it wrong. Like playing a fighting game but never blocking

Storymode is shit but Mercenaries is kinda fun. If you play the story download a trainer to beat the story quicker and play Mercenaries.

Dr Dogg

Have I ever told you that I like you sometimes? ;)

Once or twice :p

That wasn't just based on lists. There was some significant discussion on the title, and the majority conceded just how well the game plays mechanically. I'm interested in playing the game from that perspective alone.

But that's not what you said to Veggie. You essential tarred 6 and said it was ranked lower by some peeps but offering up no perspective as to why. For someone that gives IGN shit there's a lot of irony there :p. At least I tried to give some perspective other than say no more than some other folks rank it as the series low point for 'reasons'.

Coldsun

Banned
How does that game begging work by the way? The dude adds you on steam and starts spamming messages begging for the game? Or you mean on this site?

You mean to say that you haven't been subjected to it yet?

As you stated, people add you on Steam (typically because you have a lot of games) and then hits you up for a game. Some may try to 'get to know you first' so that you're more likely to feel their plight.

I once won a game in one of the Game Giveaway Group Steam Chat Rooms. Was very excited since there were close to 200 people in that room.

Mystery prize I got was Gun Monkeys. Freaking Gun Monkeys.

Once revealed I was the winner people in the chat were going crazy, asking what I won and group officers were like "now now, that's a surprise and you all should be excited in the prospect you'll win" and I just said f* it and said "it was Gun Monkeys".
People lol'ed and whatnot but the absolute weird thing was immediately afterwards several people send me PMs saying "please, give game". I repeated what it was and all answered the same "that's a bad game. but i still want it. give it to me". Was baffling. Gave it to one of them.

Phawx

I once won a game in one of the Game Giveaway Group Steam Chat Rooms. Was very excited since there were close to 200 people in that room.

Mystery prize I got was Gun Monkeys. Freaking Gun Monkeys.

Once revealed I was the winner people in the chat were going crazy, asking what I won and group officers were like "now now, that's a surprise and you all should be excited in the prospect you'll win" and I just said f* it and said "it was Gun Monkeys".
People lol'ed and whatnot but the absolute weird thing was immediately afterwards several people send me PMs saying "please, give game". I repeated what it was and all answered the same "that's a bad game. but i still want it. give it to me". Was baffling. Gave it to one of them.

hahaha

Grief.exe

But that's not what you said to Veggie. You essential tarred 6 and said it was ranked lower by some peeps but offering up no perspective as to why. For someone that gives IGN shit there's a lot of irony there :p. At least I tried to give some perspective other than say no more than some other folks rank it as the series low point for 'reasons'.

How can I possibly defend an opinion that is not my own? I listed a consistent pattern I noticed, then cited the source. If someone is interested, then they can check in on the discussion there.

Merely meant as a one off observation, rather than an argument.

How does that game begging work by the way? The dude adds you on steam and starts spamming messages begging for the game? Or you mean on this site?

According to our groups in common I must have added him through Steamgifts to gift him something previously and I guess he saw that as a sign that I'm made of games and don't know what to do with them

I like the look of this

L.O.R.D

need some ori help

hi
i am stuck at those areas and can't find a way to crack an object or grab it
1-

F8AB91D2BDA7E3D13F56D7AA81E793C4FFF2FDE0

how to get that ? i tried the feather , but can't reach it

2-
also this

BEA12B60847965A899414BCF44D4741299F8788E

this is open area with no monster to projectile from it else the rhino