• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khronico

Who on earth plays games like the Hotline Miamis for the story?

Or the Souls games for that matter

Hey now.

I spent almost the same amount of hours watching DS1 lore videos and studying the wiki as I did playing the game.

I also got deep into the story of HM2.

There's a ton of people who did that.

RightThickLamprey.gif

i feel like the people who dug deep into the Hotline Miami story are probably the same people who could bore you for a hour with the hidden lore in Five Nights at Freddy's

zkylon

zkylewd

i play games for everything

hotline miami and dark souls are two series that interwined story and meaning with gameplay particularly well

thats a very narrow view on videogames u have there buddy :>

Hello internet friends that I haven't spoken to in a while

ModBot said:
Instructions for Widdly Scuds:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Widdly Scuds, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Not A Hero -- MB-FEB67D914A6A7B6D - Taken by Dongs Macabre. 72 entrants total.
One of my favorite games of 2015. I hope it becomes one of yours too. Nice giveaway, btw =)

t1439578827z1.png

Shepard

Tell me more here. I genuinely want to know how Beyond Earth as a standalone matches up to Civ V vanilla, and then Civ V complete.

Vanilla Civ V was kinda bad compared to IV. No religion, no tourism, over-aggressive AI, bad diplomatic system, buggy, really barebones. Beyond Earth actually has a nice, nonlinear tech-web system, better ways to upgrade your troops (all at once), interesting (although under-developed) quest system to spice things up a bit and also the affinity traits that gives a few extra ways tro reach victory. It's still barebones compared to CIV V Complete, but I have no doubt it will be much better after expansions (Rising Tide looks awesome, judging by some videos I saw.)

Hektor

Hello internet friends that I haven't spoken to in a while

Awesome giveaway, awesome game. I hope the winner will value it.

The story from HM is actually very good for what it is, since the ending...

i feel like the people who dug deep into the Hotline Miami story are probably the same people who could bore you for a hour with the hidden lore in Five Nights at Freddy's

...oh, ok. Ill stop.
330x192

ExoSoul

Banned

Nah, just thought about what was happening and the meaning of the cutscenes
and the multiple endings/sequences

HM has a very rich story for what people give it credit.

The story from HM is actually very good for what it is, since the ending...

...oh, ok. Ill stop.

Never back down!

i play games for everything

hotline miami and dark souls are two series that interwined story and meaning with gameplay particularly well

You play games for Spiders?

Sometimes, just sometimes, the music is really good.

I've only ever done Guitar Hero credits because there was a final song. Through the Fire and the Flames - Dragonforce or something.

That song is faaaantastic.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I guess for me the pure joy of playing HM and Dark Souls completely overshadowed all elements of lore/story - especially in Dark Souls. The story/lore played about as a big part in my enjoyment of Dark Souls as it played for me playing Doom back in the days.

You're tossed into an interesting world/setting - now go kill everything. There isn't really any story to speak of as you progress in the game either, all though there's plenty of lore if you bother to read item descriptions etc (lol). Until this day I have no idea why I killed anyone or anything in neither Doom nor Dark Souls, I just know it was extremely interesting doing so.

For Hotline Miami, it's a bit different. There's a vague story being told, and I admit, in an interesting and opaque way as the game progress during cut scenes. But man those trails of story vapors away quickly as you get into the combo groove, at least for me. I replayed levels shitloads of times, never re-watched a single cut scene.

But hey! It's nice to know we're all different etc.

It's just my view on those particular games. I highly appreciate the story in a lot of other games.

Corpekata

Banned
Akiba's Strip appears to be borked on Windows 10. Only works after installing the game, and only until you sleep or shutdown your PC. After that it'll crash around the main menu. Can only reinstall to play again, which obviously would be a big hassle.

Discovered this via the demo but seeing many people echoing the same on the forums with the full game.

Khronico

For Hotline Miami, it's a bit different. There's a vague story being told, and I admit, in an interesting and opaque way as the game progress during cut scenes. But man those trails of story vapors away quickly as you get into the combo groove, at least for me. I replayed levels shitloads of times, never re-watched a single cut scene.

But hey! It's nice to know we're all different etc.

Strangely enough I played through Hotline Miami 1 and didn't care at all about the story.

For some reason Hotline Miami 2 made me realize A) Hotline Miami 1 had a story and B) Both games have really interesting, albeit extremely confusing stories.

Annubis

I'm at home, currently on vacation, with a Skype call to a meeting service to listen to what is supposed to be a very important corporate meeting (hahaha...) and messing around in Sakura Clicker while waiting for it to start.

I dare any of you to try and bring less to humanity than I am right now.

I guess for me the pure joy of playing HM and Dark Souls completely overshadowed all elements of lore/story - especially in Dark Souls. The story/lore played about as a big part in my enjoyment of Dark Souls as it played for me playing Doom back in the days.

You're tossed into an interesting world/setting - now go kill everything. There isn't really any story to speak of as you progress in the game either, all though there's plenty of lore if you bother to read item descriptions etc (lol). Until this day I have no idea why I killed anyone or anything in neither Doom nor Dark Souls, I just know it was extremely interesting doing so.

Did you not pay attention to any dialogue?

Specifically Dark Souls 2, the Maiden tells you a fair bit about the story and why you're doing what you're doing.

It's been a while since Dark Souls 1, but most of the NPC dialogue provides the story.

Corpekata

Banned
I don't know if the "story" in those games is great in terms of plot but I do like the way they are told, the atmosphere, etc. I don't think I'd have finished Hotline Miami if not for the weird ass fever dream of a story. They do a good job of selling the moods of their games.

ExoSoul

Banned
Did you not pay attention to any dialogue?

Specifically Dark Souls 2, the Maiden tells you a fair bit about the story and why you're doing what you're doing.

It's been a while since Dark Souls 1, but most of the NPC dialogue provides the story.

Been playing through Dark Souls 1, can confirm that there's plot in dialog.

Who plays games for story?
I rarely realize while playing a game how great a story is but I almost always realize when a story in a game is shit and it drags the enjoyment a lot. So yeah, story is important, even if just to not realize there is a shitty one.
You play games to watch the credits?
I always watch the full credits for games I finish. It's just feels like the icing on the success of finishing the game.

Give Beyond Earth a shot. It was flawed on release and I would argue it's been made better with patching. You should also own Civ V complete if you don't already.

lol, Civ V vanilla all over again.

"Should I try Civ V"

"No, it will kill your interest in the series, play Civ IV instead"

It wasn't until Gods & Kings people stopped universally hating on Civ V and even then it took Brave New World to make Civ V a classic.

Beyond Earth's espionage system is better than Civ V's period. It's so much more involved and fun to game because you're actually doing things as opposed to just sending an operative to a city and gettign infrequent automated updates. The espionage system is one thing I hope they lift from BE for Civ VI.

Beyond that they're two different games with different philosophies driving their design. With Civ more things are fixed, with BE, more things are mutable. In some ways this is good, in others it's not. Civs have hard bonuses, defined playstyles. Factions are light bonuses, payload load outs another set of light bonuses, the playstyles are amorphous and can be whatever the player decides.
I actually really enjoyed Civ V vanilla. I sunk a lot of time into it between summer 2012 and whichever Seal had Gods & Kings at 75% off. I was hooked on vanilla after just the demo but Beyond Earth hasn't grabbed me in the same way so I don't feel like playing it over V Complete.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of The_Super_Inframan, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 62 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sky Mercenaries -- MB-2C7142ED9F2A577A - Taken by Deques. 5 entrants total.
Vanguard Princess Hilda Rize -- MB-ED71D517C65E48B1 - Taken by ExoSoul. 3 entrants total.
Fake Colours -- MB-959DA415ED544877 - Taken by bobnowhere. 3 entrants total.
War of the Human Tanks -- MB-3905BD67432D5289 - Taken by salazar547. 3 entrants total.
Vangers -- MB-0B3BA9CE3F930F1C - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 3 entrants total.
7th Legion -- MB-F394507A5D3892C5 - Taken by KainXVIII. 2 entrants total.
CT Special Forces Fire for Effect -- MB-3B1402DEC2E749A8 - Taken by Javier23. 2 entrants total.
Across The Rhine -- MB-D73D1663CF6B35A3 - Taken by Eila. 1 entrants total.
F-19 Stealth Fighter -- MB-46A271F0AA47CE4A - Taken by Kuroyume. 4 entrants total.
Brilliant Bob -- MB-292C5EF7CF51CC2E - Taken by nightstorm. 1 entrants total.
Not without my donuts -- MB-DC8C6CB0F54BFA74 - Taken by Belgarion. 3 entrants total.
Dark Raid -- MB-1B4B7A73E0366D43 - Taken by Kifimbo. 2 entrants total.
Deadly 30 -- MB-4EE7C4A47BACB038 - Taken by XDDX. 1 entrants total.
Silent Service II -- MB-318BBE0345D7C195 - Taken by FiveElementNinja. 1 entrants total.
Coin Crypt -- MB-11EC86F0DD707B4B - Taken by Leafhopper. 5 entrants total.
Greed Black Border -- MB-9AEE8677121C122B - Taken by lindarasta. 1 entrants total.
Super Cyborg -- MB-A5D666683CFBCFFA - Taken by KingKong. 10 entrants total.
B-17 Flying Fortress The Mighty 8th -- MB-33196C377F51E898 - Taken by Benedict. 3 entrants total.
xheRJRF.gif
Bad Rats -- MB-69AE892A5B575731 - Taken by SalsaShark - Taken by Jawmuncher
Town Craft -- MB-7DE50A3B70C1E4FA - Taken by Sammichu. 3 entrants total.
Make it Indie -- MB-E9B4461CFE6B94A5 - Taken by Belgarion. 3 entrants total.
Power-Up -- MB-2ED544FAF82AB9B1 - Taken by Mixed2k. 1 entrants total.
The UnderGarden -- MB-C6F2C84766C2C255 - Taken by Haunted. 2 entrants total.
Predator Simulator -- MB-8225E64EAABE2347 - Taken by Ozium. 3 entrants total.
Bridge Constructor Medieval -- MB-AA8AE48D05C484BB - Taken by darkchewie. 4 entrants total.
Flix The Flea -- MB-F512BDFF920C952E - Taken by gurm3n. 2 entrants total.
Organ Biker -- MB-C060340F0288403D - Taken by Undead Bokun. 1 entrants total.
Wimp Who Stole My Pants? -- MB-471B90642E7E6441 - Taken by Blu(e). 2 entrants total.

Dead Bits -- MB-36E9492D055405CB
xheRJRF.gif
One Day for Ched -- MB-31567B7F9E0FF98D - Taken by drakaenae. 2 entrants total.
In Exilium -- MB-12D79A51EA944D6B - Taken by Kifimbo. 5 entrants total.
Strategic War in Europe -- MB-1C9A3E48AF59D537 - Taken by xGreg. 2 entrants total.
Vanguard Princess Lilith -- MB-432373389C0216CA - Taken by Mavromatis. 1 entrants total.
Bionic Heart 2 -- MB-EF64AF4416568D59 - Taken by dot. 1 entrants total.
Chernobyl Commando -- MB-2437C6F306B88B5F - Taken by NingenJanai. 2 entrants total.
Super Star Path -- MB-65CF632ED3A3B3FF - Taken by rainking187. 6 entrants total.

Project Root -- MB-8FF2CA15F45CF18A - Taken by xGreg. 2 entrants total.
Metrocide -- MB-726641A403650734 - Taken by pantsattack. 2 entrants total.
Sentinel -- MB-65F4182241C474C7 - Taken by Vuze. 2 entrants total.
Crystal Catacombs -- MB-8D26E16679698B55 - Taken by Haunted. 3 entrants total.
BANZAI PECAN The Last Hope For the Young Century -- MB-54A975F95E3382A8 - Taken by Hektor. 3 entrants total.
Shiny the Firefly -- MB-5F40BECEDCF53236 - Taken by Blu(e). 1 entrants total.
Ravensword Shadowlands -- MB-A59618E4C819982F - Taken by Tenrius
Storm over the Pacific -- MB-F3F8C5581802DFAE - Taken by Belgarion
Hyper Fighters -- MB-9BC3A21B6D258A94 - Taken by xGreg. 4 entrants total.
Desert Thunder -- MB-D6A64898D75604D9 - Taken by jgalat. 2 entrants total.
Incognito -- MB-991A18350F6C27CF - Taken by fuzzy123. 3 entrants total.
Cloud Knights -- MB-7E0AA4CB25843E3F - Taken by Bayonetta. 2 entrants total.
Gun Monkeys -- MB-C77185B3CA869C7C
East Tower Akio -- MB-726A617B272ACBAA - Taken by redlacs. 1 entrants total.
Cold Contract -- MB-2FD44503BC8CE7BD - Taken by Eila. 2 entrants total.
Undead Shadows -- MB-98CC49B6B636AB84 - Taken by nightstorm. 1 entrants total.
Vanguard Princess -- MB-0C144C1B8A22C2F2 - Taken by fertygo. 1 entrants total.
xheRJRF.gif
Chicken Shoot Gold -- MB-73262B4934C03AAF - Taken by anastef
Hook -- MB-F063DED8709238D3 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 3 entrants total.
xheRJRF.gif
Bad Rats #2 -- MB-2472AC6070AD3D72 - Taken by fertygo
Incandescent -- MB-148E96DDEB904AB1 - Taken by fuzzy123. 1 entrants total.
Cargo 3 -- MB-753E3D0F89C51CBC - Taken by LordCommanderNooooo. 1 entrants total.
Real Warfare 1242 -- MB-6184C733EEDE87B6 - Taken by Haunted. 1 entrants total.
AIR GUARDIANS -- MB-1B54D96A865BABEB - Taken by Hektor
Freedom Planet -- MB-D1F30ACD40A358C8 - Taken by Faabulous. 5 entrants total.
Not the Robots -- MB-1064CBAC2DC193E7 - Taken by Stronghammer22. 1 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Fake Colours was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Vangers was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for CT Special Forces Fire for Effect was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Not without my donuts was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Bad Rats was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Make it Indie was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for The UnderGarden was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Dead Bits was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for One Day for Ched was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Strategic War in Europe was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Chernobyl Commando was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Project Root was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Sentinel was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Crystal Catacombs was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for BANZAI PECAN The Last Hope For the Young Century was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Ravensword Shadowlands was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Storm over the Pacific was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Hyper Fighters was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Desert Thunder was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Gun Monkeys was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Cold Contract was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Undead Shadows was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Chicken Shoot Gold was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Bad Rats #2 was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Real Warfare 1242 was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for AIR GUARDIANS was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1439498907z1.png

Parsnip

huniepop devs said:
New game reveal next Saturday! We'll have a trailer and Greenlight page up. No Kickstarter, we can afford to fund this one ourselves.
That's almost too respectable.

I played huniepop for the story.

I actually haven't played huniepop.

75%!

How is Beyond holding up against Civ5 anyway?

Now I am sad.

Beyond Earth is basically Civ V vanilla and it looks like Rising Tide might be Gods & Kings.

Beyond Earth was pretty flawed at launch but it's gotten better with patches. The gameplay focus shifted from managing trade routes literally every other turn to having espionage move more to the forefront of systems you will interact with frequently. There was also a Wonder pass which changed or tweaked the functions of many wonders and also tied them to strategic resources, which was a really good move.

It looks like a number of other things are being addressed in Rising Tide, namely more Factions, more biomes, more aliens, more units, Diplomacy and Hybrid Affinity overhauls.

I actually really enjoyed Civ V vanilla. I sunk a lot of time into it between summer 2012 and whichever Seal had Gods & Kings at 75% off. I was hooked on vanilla after just the demo but Beyond Earth hasn't grabbed me in the same way so I don't feel like playing it over V Complete.

I bought Civ V vanilla and some of its DLC in a sale and sunk 300 hours into it by the time Gods & Kings was released. I was hooked after my first game of Civ V Vanilla. Being a fan of Civ Beyond Earth feels an awful lot like being a fan of Civ V vanilla, I feel like I'm saying "it's not THAT bad" an awful lot.

I get it, I didn't like BE at launch either. Part of it was its design at launch, Intergalactic Trade Route Simulator 2014 kinda sucked. I played it for 50 hours and stopped. SInce it's been patched I've added on another 200 hours to that and play Beyond Earth more now than I do Civ V.

There are still people who devoutly dislike Civ V, even after Gods & Kings and Brave New World addressed so much. 1UPT. One unit per tile drives so many people batty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom