• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Civ games give me so many hours of enjoyment that I'll happily pay more to play them as soon as possible. I've got over 250 hours out of Civ V and I'm sure that I'll get my money's worth out of Rising Tide, especially for less than £7.

what I had in mind, it's not that Civs aren't worth the price, but that we shouldn't condone punishing early adopters policies that 2K is so deeply fond of, when buying a game four times in different collections is always cheaper than buying dlcs and expansions, I opt out of early birds, enough is enough.

Popstar

It depends what kind of stories you like. A VN is like a book. There are lots of genres to choose from and, compared to books, even the amount of gameplay they offer. Some are just "books with images and sounds" you read. Others have actual gameplay like the Eushully or alicesoft Games (though they are hentai-games ;))
Well there are all types of VNs split up by genre (horror, mystery, love sim, historic, etc...), gameplay elements, branching paths etc... Ones without choices are Kinetic or Sound Novels.

So tell me what kinda of genre do you normally like in things and we can go from there!
Long Live the Queen is a VN, just because a game is good doesn't mean it can't be VN too, seriously...

edited: I wouldn't recommend LLTQ to someone completely new to the genre, tho, can be a tad too much, I also think Narcissu is good way to try it out, being good and free.
Okay, I'll start with Narcissu first and report back.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Is there a good website for monthly game releases? I know I want Until Dawn on the 25th but I'm not sure if anything else comes out this month.

2379004-jeff_headshake.gif

Uzzy

That bad huh?

Yup.

I mean, it's free this weekend, so the only thing you'll lose is time if you give it a try, and some of the issues that I had with the game you might not have if you've not played much Civ before. So it might work for you.

Personally, I thought the most interesting part of Beyond Earth was the intro cutscene. That's full of feeling and emotion and makes me think that maybe the game will be some sweeping sci-fi epic of colonising a new world and the trials faced by humanity on foreign soil. But alas, it's a soulless husk of a game, with dull, characterless factions, who seem designed to annoy you through diplomacy and those damn statements they make everytime they get in contact with you. You'll learn to hate hearing 'As Adam Smith said..' and 'No village was ever ruined by trade.' No village was ruined by trade, but the game sure is. You'll spend most of your time renewing trade routes every turn.

The building of a Wonder, which should, you know, be wondrous, is heralded by a short snippet of text and a few pictures of some blueprints, letting you sit there confused as you wonder 'well, what the hell is a Markov Eclipse anyway?'. The tech web is shockingly poorly designed and confusing to look at, and research itself turns into a rush for affinity points, as those are the only things that matter at all in terms of progress.

It's a real misstep for the Civ franchise, especially with other fantastic games in the same genre available, like Endless Legend. Maybe the expansion will improve things a little, but I'm not holding out any hope.

Khronico

Yessss steam marines and starmade

Good 1 dollar tier

Edit: Everyone stop buying Beyond Erf and save your money for Endless Legend instead.

Benedict

Yup.

Personally, I thought the most interesting part of Beyond Earth was the intro cutscene. That's full of feeling and emotion and makes me think that maybe the game will be some sweeping sci-fi epic of colonising a new world and the trials faced by humanity on foreign soil. But alas, it's a soulless husk of a game, with dull, characterless factions, who seem designed to annoy you through diplomacy and those damn statements they make everytime they get in contact with you.

The intro cutscene is one of the best imo. Put my hopes up so high the first times I saw it, until I started playing the game... :(

zkylon

zkylewd
i actually think it's kind of a disservice to dark souls 2

dks2 had some glaring issues (the biggest being having a fucking spider level), but the core souls thing still shined through

hm2 was a frustrating mess that might as well not existed that felt like it didn't get its own success at all

well no game retroactively makes its predecessor any worse.
i mean, you can still play hm1 and have fun i guess but it just shifted the story in a shitty direction that ruined hm1's story for me

it's probably been the biggest 180 i've had from defending a game to starting to think that maybe ppl weren't so wrong when they criticized the first one

so is hotline miami 2 the True Detective Season 2 of gaming?
that's a good way of putting it

you know, cos true detective season 2 is awful

The only thing Dark Souls 2 lacked was that lovely Dark Souls 1-esque overworld design, where everything flowed together. On a scene-to-scene basis, the superb level design was still present, as tricky and dangerous as ever. And, of course, it did a much better job with the online, especially regarding Soul Memory. (Twinking for no-threat PvP ganks is bad and people championing it should feel bad.)

And that port. Man, so good.

Ozium

apparently I have intergalactic planetary, planetary intergalactic in my steam library however but I've no idea how it got there...

The only thing Dark Souls 2 lacked was that lovely Dark Souls 1-esque overworld design, where everything flowed together. On a scene-to-scene basis, the superb level design was still present, as tricky and dangerous as ever. And, of course, it did a much better job with the online, especially regarding Soul Memory. (Twinking for no-threat PvP ganks is bad and people championing it should feel bad.)

And that port. Man, so good.

There we go, completely agree. I loved Firelink Shrine and the intertwined pathes that branched off of it, DK2's Majula didn't do that for me.

Disagree about Soul Memory. Soul Memory was (is?) a dumpster fire. Should have at least increased in by Souls spent, not Souls gained.

apparently I have intergalactic planetary, planetary intergalactic in my steam library however but I've no idea how it got there...

I understand this reference.

Uzzy

The intro cutscene is one of the best imo. Put my hopes up so high the first times I saw it, until I started playing the game... :(

Yeah, it's genuinely beautiful. Firaxis make some damn good cutscenes. Brave New World's intro was pretty damn moving too.

Sch1sm

I thought Beyond Earth was suppose to be great.

It might be, but it'd be dumb to purchase now since it has an expansion coming this fall that'll destroy the wallets of early buyers. Only reason I haven't picked it up yet, really; one day it'll hit complete territory (and if I bought it) the complete will be cheaper than the DLC during a sale and Valve won't put the extra copy in my inventory. :|

Reassembly is more than it looks. Building your ship from parts is a bunch of fun.

I thought the same thing about Besiege, but I'm really terrible at putting things together.

Missed the Rising Tide price mistake, now I'm sad. :(
Also, BE>Civ V
base game

Tell me more here. I genuinely want to know how Beyond Earth as a standalone matches up to Civ V vanilla, and then Civ V complete.

Is Beyond Earth worth trying out if you have a passing interest in the Civilization games?

Give Beyond Earth a shot. It was flawed on release and I would argue it's been made better with patching. You should also own Civ V complete if you don't already.

I'd recommend diving into Civ V Complete instead.

It might kill your interest in the Civilisation games. Look to Endless Legend or Civ 5 instead.

lol, Civ V vanilla all over again.

"Should I try Civ V"

"No, it will kill your interest in the series, play Civ IV instead"

It wasn't until Gods & Kings people stopped universally hating on Civ V and even then it took Brave New World to make Civ V a classic.

Tell me more here. I genuinely want to know how Beyond Earth as a standalone matches up to Civ V vanilla, and then Civ V complete.

Beyond Earth's espionage system is better than Civ V's period. It's so much more involved and fun to game because you're actually doing things as opposed to just sending an operative to a city and gettign infrequent automated updates. The espionage system is one thing I hope they lift from BE for Civ VI.

Beyond that they're two different games with different philosophies driving their design. With Civ more things are fixed, with BE, more things are mutable. In some ways this is good, in others it's not. Civs have hard bonuses, defined playstyles. Factions are light bonuses, payload load outs another set of light bonuses, the playstyles are amorphous and can be whatever the player decides.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Who on earth plays games like the Hotline Miamis for the story?

Or the Souls games for that matter

Vlad

It's not my cup of tea...

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Steam Marines -- MB-3A6551E3D6D2D30B - Taken by derExperte. 9 entrants total.

t1439502447z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom