• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd

Played several solid hours Space Marine today again. It continues to impress.

Jetpack was so fun. Shame it was only a short level. Look at all them chievo thingies popping up :D

Grenade launcher definitely was a positive surprise in that the delayed and numerous explosions give some neat strategic options in combat.

While devastating, grenade throw animation and trajectory is one of the most unusual I have seen in games.

Energized shotgun or whatever it is, is up there with the best shotguns in gaming. Brutal!

Shining beacon among all the other goodness still is the extremely weighty, gruesome and ultimately so satisfying melee combat. Look at that gorgeous animations, the face of the Ork, the different lighting. Brilliant.

this would've set my pc on fire if i hadn't bought my videocard

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
jshackles:
Enhanced Steam Feature suggestion

"Hide Movies"

I was thinking this earlier while browsing the Devolver sale.

What a mess that page is.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So I was thinking to myself: "Self - maybe Mozilla's signing process for Firefox extensions isn't as bad as you think. Maybe I'll get the current version signed so that at least people can continue using version 7.3 with Firefox 41+. Maybe if this really is a hassle-free experience, I'll considering going back to developing the Firefox version".

uNqIXPt.png

I'm posting this for posterity - feel free to direct people to this single post when they say "Man, that guy that makes Enhanced Steam is such an idiot for dropping support, all he has to do is upload the file to Mozilla and go through an automated process to get the extension signed!"

Nope.

MUnited83

For you.
Those are the same thing though. Just imgur's special snowflake container.

That said though embrace the webm life.

Oh, I know, just saying that because he used imgur to upload his gifs and he can convert them by just putting .gifv instead of .gif at the end of the link :p

I'm posting this for posterity - feel free to direct people to this single post when they say "Man, that guy that makes Enhanced Steam is such an idiot for dropping support, all he has to do is upload the file to Mozilla and go through an automated process to get the extension signed!"

Nope.

Unfortunate but not surprising. Do you have any insight into why Mozilla is enforcing this requirement? Was there a sudden spike of people getting their browsers hijacked by unsigned addons and then blaming Firefox/Mozilla for it?

I updated to FF40 the other day and had a look at my addons page. There are about 5 addons I have that they caution me about and will stop working with the next release. Every once in a while I check to see if Chrome has the addons that would make me comfortable in switching over from Firefox but there's always something missing. But now that they're going to stop working in FF as well there hardly seems to be any reason to keep it as my default browser.

I have that one, actually. Bought it for a dollar and waited for that Steam key like a champ.

Played 10 minutes, died 11 times.

You can always gift me. c;

When it's at least 40% off again, I'll think about it.

You better get WotS 4 when it's on sale then.

Play more Sky Rogue, when you die you can upgrade stuff with the money you get from blowing up stuff. I'm not shilling it because I like to shill stuff, it's good for real.

jshackles

Unfortunate but not surprising. Do you have any insight into why Mozilla is enforcing this requirement? Was there a sudden spike of people getting their browsers hijacked by unsigned addons and then blaming Firefox/Mozilla for it?

I updated to FF40 the other day and had a look at my addons page. There are about 5 addons I have that they caution me about and will stop working with the next release. Every once in a while I check to see if Chrome has the addons that would make me comfortable in switching over from Firefox but there's always something missing. But now that they're going to stop working in FF as well there hardly seems to be any reason to keep it as my default browser.

I think that (like most things Mozilla creates) it's a good idea in theory but their execution is downright terrible. I have no doubt that the other extensions you mention (assuming they're still being actively developed/maintained) are going through the same sorts of troubles with the signing process. And considering my position in the "Review Queue" is much higher than it ever was when I was publishing through AMO, I'm guessing they have quite a few of these non-automated signing requests to get to. Assuming their process still runs at the same glacial speed, we'll be lucky if the extension gets signed at all (or outright rejected) before Firefox 41 leaves beta.

Every extension developer I've spoken to, even some that were already publishing through AMO, has not been happy about this change. I know that Mozilla's carrying through with this simply because they want to be able to remotely disable any Firefox addon, but in the process they're putting a stranglehold on the free and open source philosophy they were founded on. Sadly, they're sacrificing freedom for security. Like the old adage goes, they now deserve neither.

I really do wish that their process was quick and painless as advertised. It would have been one more step to me starting to update the Firefox extension code again because I know there is a huge fanbase there and I hate to let them down. But the reason I stopped was because I knew this was coming, and I knew it was going to be a hassle. Such a shame.

I'm still waiting patiently for Edge extension support, because I think that'll be the next big thing. Windows 10 adoption has been pretty good so far, and if the packed-in browser can support Enhanced Steam then I think that's pretty cool. I hope Microsoft doesn't fuck things up.

Sch1sm

Yes.

I don't know how to teach it to you other than saying "get used to the controls by memorizing them while dying a lot at first and then figuratively bang your head against the keyboard until you win."

They just feel sort of awkward. The transitions between heights, especially dropping downward. And then when you're in a room filled with things out to kill you that can move freely. I end up something like: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I'm going to keep at it, but I may just give up and go for a controller - Exo said that'll prob be better.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
They just feel sort of awkward. The transitions between heights, especially dropping downward. And then when you're in a room filled with things out to kill you that can move freely. I end up something like: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I'm going to keep at it, but I may just give up and go for a controller - Exo said that'll prob be better.

The unlockable double jump and dash runes really help with dropping down. It took me longer than I care to admit to get used to the down attack activated platforms, though.

Using a controller would probably be for the best.

Annubis

Sadly, they're sacrificing freedom for security. Like the old adage goes, they now deserve neither.

This is the life cycle of anything internet it seems.

Becoming mainstream is pretty much a death warrant as you are forced to over-secure and dumbify to meet the common lowest denominator.

The effort continues until you're so secure (to the point of bad user experience) and simple (almost no customization or options) that people move on to something else.

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Flying Bundle

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Abandoned -- MB-14040977C52A0391 - Taken by crazyrabbits
Dreamscape -- MB-E896C34468BE0254 - Taken by texhnolyze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom