• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

abracadaver

spares:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (abracadaver, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

TinyKeep -- MB-79C7F6F8DBF968DC - Taken by rainking187. 2 entrants total.
Monster Loves You! -- MB-B5EDFA05C07AF334 - Taken by Kuroyume. 3 entrants total.
Crowntakers -- MB-F482085207DC42BF - Taken by dirtywhirlwind. 2 entrants total.

t1440056694z1.png

Anteater

damn, there might be some inconsistencies with the witcher 3's lighting here and there (which game doesn't tho), but I find the game to be awesome looking majority of the time, and you travel through some really cool looking environments, there are a few closed off non open areas that look great, but open map areas like Skellige looks awesome for being open world and how big it is.

NPC models are surprisingly good and for the amount of them I think they're unique looking enough without looking like they're random generated from an awful character creator.

Game loads pretty fast too, there are probably some glitches and stuff like most other open world games, but I find the game to be the most consistent experience overall with the amount of content it has.

zkylon

zkylewd
it's gorgeous

i just realized i can set most of the post-processing things on (i had everything but ao off) and get low 50s fps during gameplay, so i think i'm gonna play like that

i think i'd enjoy this game like 5x more if the menu transitions were instant, going from map to quests to map again etc. is just so slow and you do it so fucking often, it's super annoying..

mrgone

I'd really like to see AMD get their shit together again. They don't have to be on top, they only have to be strong enough keep the rest in line and moving foward. It's the beginning of the darkest timeline when both Intel and Nvidia have no real competition on the desktop.

Dr Dogg

AMD's issues over the past few years have been fingers in too many pies and resources spread way too thin. For every marginal success they have they then end up getting trampled on in countless other sectors. They really do need to regroup and refocus on a smaller set of markets which they seem to be doing but at a snails pace sadly.

Eila

So, yeah, remember when everyone was dissing on Neverending Nightmares?

Humble Bundle redeemed.
Game's still pretty bad, though.

Good luck selling it, I can never get foils that cost more than 50 cents to sell anymore. I did sell like two when trading cards were new.
I guess people realized there's no point in getting them, with new games with cards dropping every day :p

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I will say what I've been saying for years, I don't want huge worlds, I want reasonably sized open worlds where there's plenty stuffed into each area to do, immerse yourself in, and explore.

A square mile of things worth exploring is worth a lot more than a 100-square miles of mostly empty dull wastelands.

Dr Dogg

You know the worlds of GTA and Sleepy Dawgs are nice and all that but what's the one big issues both (and most open worlds too) have? Next to none of the buildings are anything but set dressing. Sure that kind of makes sense in a large sprawling metropolis where it would be a nightmare to make even a quarter of GTA's buildings show pieces plus has the problem of becoming a bit samey. Elder Scrolls and to a lesser extent Red Dead did it well as you have the majority of the buildings sparsely populated and serve more than just set dressing as they are key points for quests, world economy or even thematically part of the world. Unity had the promise of interior environments but they did come across as samey (although they looked gorgeous) and half the time you wander down some ran down back street only to pop through a window and end up in some opulent mansion that not only was out of place but have 20 random people all stood around in a room with no entrance or exit other than the window you stumbled in from. Really out of place and seemed to be there for the sake of a bullet point on the back of the box. I'll take meaningful density over grandiose scale for the sake of bigger numbers any day.

I will say what I've been saying for years, I don't want huge worlds, I want reasonably sized open worlds where there's plenty stuffed into each area to do, immerse yourself in, and explore.

A square mile of things worth exploring is worth a lot more than a 100-square miles of mostly empty dull wastelands.
Open world is the new modern military shooter. Expect Ubisoft-ish games this entire gen.

Ozium

Anyone else besides Bernardo ready for the Humble Digital Homicide Weekly?

Also I finished Neverending Nightmares and it is quite enjoyable. Played with headphones and the sound design is marvelous. So is the artstyle employed. It's not so much a vidya gaem as much as it is an experience, a piece of interactive art. It is good in that regard, but I am cultured and enjoy museums and such so I understand how it wouldn't appeal to the baser gaming audience.

Milamber

But do it too much and I kinda get burned out on the sheer number of it all.

Dr Dogg

But do it too much and I kinda get burned out on the sheer number of it all.

That's because you did the silly thing and chained together two AssCreeds back to back. Now we all know I love my AssCreed but I don't think even I could take that amount of Ubi-jank in such a concentrated dose.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Dead Realm publisher disregards FTC disclosure guidelines for YouTubers

The rise of YouTubers has definitely affected how many developers make games, but Dead Realm is a special case: it's published by 3BlackDot, the "influencer-driven" entertainment startup founded last year by ex-Machinima staffers in conjunction with YouTubers Tom "Syndicate" Cassell and Adam "SeaNanners" Montoya.

This is important because both Syndicate and SeaNanners have published multiple videos of themselves excitedly playing Dead Realm without clearly disclosing their financial ties to the game's publisher, seemingly defying the FTC's strict guidelines for how YouTubers should disclose paid endorsements (coincidentally, the UK Committee of Advertising Practices published a similar set of revised guidelines this week in an effort to enforce transparency among YouTubers producing advertorial videos.)

Anyone else besides Bernardo ready for the Humble Digital Homicide Weekly?

Also I finished Neverending Nightmares and it is quite enjoyable. Played with headphones and the sound design is marvelous. So is the artstyle employed. It's not so much a vidya gaem as much as it is an experience, a piece of interactive art. It is good in that regard, but I am cultured and enjoy museums and such so I understand how it wouldn't appeal to the baser gaming audience.
I'm looking forward to the DRAGON Weekly Humble Bundle featuring DRAGON: THE GAME.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Do you know if that's 10 actual days or is it game days? Article isn't explicit about that.

The Article says 240 hours, so 10 real time days on a earth sized planet

And btw, the time progression in the game is real time anyway :)

derExperte

Jim, 88% of the reviews are positive. That is not "absolutely filled" with negative reviews. Sure, Steam highlights most helpful reviews, but that is in no way representative of the mainstream opinion, merely the most vocal opinion.

He wrote "filling up with negative reviews" and that's correct if you look at the recent review-tab which is the most relevant for EA games. Add to that a bunch of threads about the issues and it has become a serious problem which I'm sure is affecting their sales. Put me off from buying at first but I still did based on the latest patch, many others won't.

Dr Dogg

I can remember doing one of the 24 Hour races in GT3 on the oval circuit by elastic banding the controller sticks and wedging down the accelerator with a matchstick whilst I was out all day.

Sarcasm

If you're on Windows 10 it is a common thing. There are some workarounds in the steam forums but not ideal.

Saw some but I don't understand I played the intro and got to control my character. I had to leave so I exited.

Now it just doesn't work. But I ain't got time for the workarounds =O

Corpekata

Banned
Saw some but I don't understand I played the intro and got to control my character. I had to leave so I exited.

Now it just doesn't work. But I ain't got time for the workarounds =O

It's related to sleeping / shutting down your computer. It borks something with the game on Windows 10. Only clean installs will work, so the workaround is basically to back the game up, delete game, restore from back up.

Dr Dogg

That's like the clicker of racing games, why even play that mode?

Except I wasn't doing anything. That like getting one of your mates to play a game for you and reap the rewards afterwards without having to waste 24 fucking hours going round in circles. It's like 'playing' a clicker game but using a drinking bird to hit the mouse button whilst you go do something that is actually entertaining and come back to a whole host of achievements.

derExperte

But GT3 doesn't even have achievements. Not playing Gran Turismo yourself is in general a good decision though. Never got the appeal and I usually like racers, for some reason every time I tried it felt like work. The devs probably feel the same and nod away frequently which explains no GT since I don't know.

Dr Dogg

You're a genious.

It's not quite on the mouse trap style contraptions the likes of Ben Heck have come up with to solve an 'issue' but it's quite an old trick. Plus Playstation controllers are easy to elastic band the sticks in a set position thanks to the handles.

Dogg, go buy Contradiction.

I agree with Ozium, buy the game and try it out Dogg.

By the time I would probably finish downloading it the Seal would have rolled around. Plus I'm stacking my plate pretty high with games at the mo so I'd rather be clearing that than adding to it. Don't worry I'll pick it up at some point before the year is out.

But GT3 doesn't even have achievements. Not playing Gran Turismo yourself is in general a good decision though. Never got the appeal and I usually like racers, for some reason every time I tried it felt like work. The devs probably feel the same and nod away frequently which explains no GT since I don't know.

No but for my 'troubles' I was rewarded with a sweet F1 style car that was actually fun to use in tracks that have more than 4 left hand corners and didn't take up an entire day to finish.

L.O.R.D

i wasn't interested in neptunia series , but then i saw someone made NSFW patch for rebirth 1
maybe i will get it when it hit $5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom