• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you ever post in a thread and then see that there are other people from this Steam thread here and wonder to yourself if they know who you are and vice versa?

for instance I see Atraveller or mmbostones or DrDogg or JaseC in a thread I posted with and I wonder if they know it is me.

does this make sense?

im kind of high

When are you not? ;P

The store page seems to have very positive reviews. Usually the Steam community tears a game apart if its a shit port.

Well, there's still a good game there, but it seems to have a ton of issues and there's none of the stuff you'd expect to see like widescreen support.
UI/2D assets are untouched, game is alergic to controllers, 30fps (original had battles running at 60), there are a ton of bugs like out of sync audio.

Knurek

If anyone's expecting Rocket League sales for their games, they may as well go out of business.
The fact that the price being asked by many of the higher tier indies went up 100% (from €9.99 to €14.99 to €19.99) and we all have backlogs that will last us dozens of year... We really might be nearing indiepocalypse.
Especially since most of sequels released recently (Grimrock 2, Hotline 2, Trine 3, Avernum 2) underperformed.

Maniac

Banned
If anyone's expecting Rocket League sales for their games, they may as well go out of business.
The fact that the price being asked by many of the higher tier indies went up 100% (from €9.99 to €14.99 to €19.99) and we all have backlogs that will last us dozens of year... We really might be nearing indiepocalypse.
Especially since most of sequels released recently (Grimrock 2, Hotline 2, Trine 3, Avernum 2) underperformed.

I think sequels and what we expect from indie developers are two entirely clashing concepts, though. A lot of us expect, or atleast want new, innovative, thinking and / or unique games from indies; not marginally improved sequels. So it's not surprising to me, really.

Arthea

I think that many somewhat famous indie games are way too expansive to enter into impulse buy territory day one, but then again maybe those inflated prices are needed for them to survive, I wouldn't know.

OTOH, after steamspy guy wrote that article about how many steam users are actually buying games at all, I'm sure indiepocalypse is coming, there are simply not enough interested people for amount of games we are getting, not even close, actually.

edited: let's not forget that it's not only steam, indie games have to compete with thousands of free games and mobile games too.

With Dark Souls down and MGS in less than I week, need some short to run through.

Or I'll just play idle Clicker Heroes some more.

I go hang out with my friends for a few hours and miss a GMG coupon and a Mega Man giveaway.

texas-fan-f-bomb_medium.gif

Did her contact fall out?

Knurek

OTOH, after steamspy guy wrote that article about how many steam users are actually buying games at all, I'm sure indiepocalypse is coming, there are simply not enough interested people for amount of games we are getting, not even close, actually.

edited: let's not forget that it's not only steam, indie games have to compete with thousands of free games and mobile games too.

I made a thread about it with some additional data for comparison.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Carmageddon: Reincarnation Post Launch Update #1 - v1.1.0.7470

Update v1.1.0.7470 is here! Please read below for a list of what’s changed.

Performance Improvements
The techies have been beavering away, and we’ve been diligently testing the results of their labours. So without further ado, here’s the average results that we’re seeing by testing the Career Mode in normal gameplay conditions:

Minimum Spec
20-25% increase across the board on 720p, standard settings
25-30% increase across the board on 1080p, standard settings

Recommended Spec
25-30% increase across the board on 720p, standard settings
20-25% increase across the board on 1080p, standard settings

Note that these gains have come from a whole lot of general optimisations and bug fixes. Work is continuing on fundamental changes/improvements to our core engine tech, and the very significant performance benefits of these changes will be seen in future updates.

Multiplayer
The performance improvements above combined with significant changes to the underlying MP code means that multiplayer is now far more stable.

OPTIMISATION

• Further optimisation on car damage code
  • Added SLI/Crossfire support
  • Improved game performance for machines with low RAM
  • Fixed an issue with loading times when you have vsync turned on in the visual options
  • Reduced stuttering on low spec machines resulting in a much smoother experience
  • Improved performance when Pinball Mode PowerUp is in effect
  • The game no longer needs the KB2670838 Windows update when using Windows 7

GENERAL

• Localisation fixes
  • Number of laps required on long routes have been reduced
  • Players should now be able to switch between APO using either the arrow keys or A and D when upgrading vehicles
  • Fixed an issue with mines exploding twice when not making contact with a target when using the Mine Shitting PowerUp
  • Cop vehicles now return to their static state on event restart and do not remain active
  • APO slots now show the correct amount available
  • Fixed caps on momentary PowerUps
  • Death Race mode would show players in the lead when they’re not
  • ‘Menage a Trois’ achievement is now unlockable
  • ‘Filled er up!’ achievement is now unlockable
  • Fixed an issue when scrolling through leaderboards
  • Fixed the ‘Car Tart’ challenge to correctly display 24 cars instead of 25
  • Fixed the ‘Hotwiring Hotstuff’ challenge to correctly display 24 cars instead of 25
  • Sound effects volume now no longer effects the engine volume which has its own slider
  • New animation effects now present on the bloody hand cursor (still not bloody though!)
  • Fixed APO bars incorrectly appearing in the garage when pressing the RT/LT triggers on a controller
  • Fixed a bug with the tutorial which meant you could get stuck when being told to go to the Stadium
  • Wheelspin is now only available when the car is travelling below 5mph
  • The game will now choose desktop resolution as the default game resolution for fresh installs (except on low end machines)

CAREER

• Fixed a checkpoint spawn issue in the ‘Got Gas?’ Checkpoint Stampede event

MULTIPLAYER

• Further improvements in reducing multiplayer desync and network interruption issues
  • Fixed a bug that resulted in showing no available lobbies when filtering for games with PowerUp purchasing off
  • Fixed an issue where clients can crash if the host uses the Kickstarter Eagle skin
  • The crusher on Landing Pads now correctly continues to work after a network interruption
  • Players should no longer get spawned under the crusher on the Landing Pads arena
  • PowerUp gift timer no longer counts into negative numbers
  • Fixed playlist to correctly show the current event to be played for clients

AI

• During Fox N Hounds the AI will now correctly run away from other opponents when they have the Fox instead of continuing to chase the player.
  • AI APO now correctly reflects the players progress

ACTION REPLAY

• Pressing NumPad 0 now correctly toggles playback direction
  • Left mouse button is now used to freely move the camera orientation when using the Placeable Cam mode
  • Unlocked camera is now default when using the Placeable Cam mode

ENVIRONMENTS

• Fixed a gap in the geometry in the Bleak City Business District level
  • Fixed collision issue with a ramp in the Bleak City Business District which caused you to get trapped inside
  • Fixed a hole in the geometry in the Dusty Trails National Park level
  • Fixed geometry gaps in the stadium on the Bleak City Business District level
  • Audio fixed when inside caves and tunnels
  • Storm light on Grey's Mall now made more "magnificent"
  • Fixed missing reverb audio in the lower parts of the ship on Magnuchem Reprocessor level
  • Fixed floating peds across all levels
  • Pedestrians no longer spawn under the crusher on Landing Pads arena
  • Fixed a floating sign on the Bleak City Business District level
  • Fixed glass particle effects on the Bleak City Business District level
  • Fixed the balance of negative PowerUps on the lower level of the Berg Blaster route
  • Fixed ped behaviour in the Bleak City Business District level

CARS

• Siamese Dream offensiveness reduced
  • Damage textures appearance tweaked
  • Fixed an issue with your car being damaged if stationary when getting the Mutant Tail PowerUp
  • Manual recover when on slopes is now possible
  • Tez Eagle blade animation now correct
  • Skins can now be previewed first before being applied to your car
  • Tropi-kill no longer maintains collision body on roof after roof items removed
  • Fixed collision body on the rear of the Plow
  • Fixed collision body on spinning blade on The Bear after it’s been removed
  • Frozen opponents effect now applies to cop cars
  • Tropi-kills turbine visual effects now longer continue to play once the turbines are detached
  • Rim choice now also transfers to multiplayer games
  • Razorbill no longer maintains collision body when it’s wheels have been removed
  • The windows of The Plow now correctly smash
  • Fixed an issue with some Kickstarter backers not unlocking the Kickstarter exclusive skins and rims correctly
  • Improved the ability for the Subpressor to chase you
  • Improved the brightness of vehicle headlights so they are not too bright

CARMODGEDDON

• Mods for CarMODgeddon now use the extension .ZIP rather than .ZAD
  • .TDX files are now working correctly for mods when using CarMODgeddon

To see a list of our known issues please visit our support site.

Me and my mate did some theory-crafting on MGSV. It goes like this:

07:25 PM - Phantomrave: the ending will be kojima just saying
07:25 PM - Phantomrave: "do you rike it?"
07:25 PM - Phantomrave: then taking off his face to reveal he was actually big boss
07:25 PM - Phantomrave: and you played as a stray testicle all along
07:25 PM - Maniac: Then taking that off to reveal he was skullface
07:26 PM - Maniac: TAKING THAT OFF TO REVEAL HE IS IN FACT QUIET, AFTER WHICH HE TAKES OFF THAT FACE TO REVEAL HE IS IN FACT DIAMOND DOG, DUN DUN DUUUNNNN!

I'm pretty sure I'm right, mind you.

Mind = Blown rite guiss
You forgot to add V has come but overall its a solid theory

Red Amazon Is A Free Four-Minute Thriller

Now do I count this for the 52 games challenge?
Count ittt im counting episode duscue or whatever is called as a game

Kyougar

Yeah, i feel the same.

If we want to classify indies into their own categories, We have

A Indies: (pick one or more) Low effort, very small budget, Jim Sterling Fodder, Shovelware, Standard Unity assets, Walking Simulators, etc. guys like Digital Homicide, Galctic Cafe (Stanley parable, sory that I lump them together ;) )

AA Indies: some started there, others had a Big Hit and got bigger (in Headcount or budget), One-Hit Wonders, several small Kickstarter projects, small teams with a big project, that needs funding from a publisher (Studios, that are dependent on Paradox Publishing or other midsize Publishers like Deep Silver or nordic games), guys like ReLogic (Terraria), Ageod (Dark Souls games of Grand Strategy), Colossal Order Ltd. (Cities: Skyline), etc.

AAA Indies: some indipendeant Studios with big headcounts for such studio that needs either crowdfunding other Publishers for Marketing (Paradox, Deeps Silver) or a Console exclusive deal, guys like InExile, Larian, Egosoft, Obsidian etc.

I would say, if a mass extinction happens, it willbe in the AA indie sphere. One Flop and you could lose your Publisher Funding if you aimed too high for the next game. Or Kickstarter backlash if your customers dont think you "deserve" another million funding after you go for Kickstarter for every tiny thing you do and then you have the audacity to do an early access game on the side! Or you just ask too much for your next game, or ask the same for the next game but it is too short. Or you were riding that tiny little nostalgia niche and it was satisfied with just that one game. Or your game sucked.

A indies have such a low budget and thousands of newcomers, that we dont need to "fear" their downfall.

AAA Indies could do a "dirty job" for a publisher if they are in dire needs. Yes, some could go under, but they are not in danger like AA indies.

Dr Dogg

Larian are going to make me poor I guess.

Also just trying to get DirectX up to date and fuck me does Microsoft nag you to 'try' their shit these days. First on the download screen they ask if I want to download a load of nonsense I don't need and then upon installation they ask if I want to install the Bing search bar. I expect this from going to the seedy side of the internet and downloading malware infected, unoffical fixes for stuff. Even Google aren't this bad.

Nope. I doubt they are, though.

Would be funny to see the lengths people would go to for the sake of increasing their game count. I'm sure there will be some bonkers $4,000+ Digital Storm Steam Machine at some point.

I intend to since the controller should be the solution to so many issues I have and have a whole lot of flexibility. If it proves to be a struggle for me by November since I get it in October and I assume I've spent plenty of time with it, chances are it will gather dust or make a trip to ebay. It will be a fun month of experimenting regardless

I don't know, even if it isn't 'The One' (and it probably won't be) it's nice to have options. Right now I've got a Dual Shock 2 via USB adapter, Dual Shock 3, wired and wireless 360 pads, USB Gamecube adapter, MayFlash adapter for the WiiU Pro Controller as my control pad selection and I find something good about all of them for certain things. The Pro Controller is a couple of analog triggers short of replacing most of those but I still use a Dual Shock 2 with PCSX2.

Arthea

Yeah, i feel the same.

If we want to classify indies into their own categories, We have

A Indies: (pick one or more) Low effort, very small budget, Jim Sterling Fodder, Shovelware, Standard Unity assets, Walking Simulators, etc. guys like Digital Homicide, Galctic Cafe (Stanley parable, sory that I lump them together ;) )

AA Indies: some started there, others had a Big Hit and got bigger (in Headcount or budget), One-Hit Wonders, several small Kickstarter projects, small teams with a big project, that needs funding from a publisher (Studios, that are dependent on Paradox Publishing or other midsize Publishers like Deep Silver or nordic games), guys like ReLogic (Terraria), Ageod (Dark Souls games of Grand Strategy), Colossal Order Ltd. (Cities: Skyline), etc.

AAA Indies: some indipendeant Studios with big headcounts for such studio that needs either crowdfunding other Publishers for Marketing (Paradox, Deeps Silver) or a Console exclusive deal, guys like InExile, Larian, Egosoft, Obsidian etc.

I would say, if a mass extinction happens, it willbe in the AA indie sphere. One Flop and you could lose your Publisher Funding if you aimed too high for the next game. Or Kickstarter backlash if your customers dont think you "deserve" another million funding after you go for Kickstarter for every tiny thing you do and then you have the audacity to do an early access game on the side! Or you just ask too much for your next game, or ask the same for the next game but it is too short. Or you were riding that tiny little nostalgia niche and it was satisfied with just that one game. Or your game sucked.

A indies have such a low budget and thousands of newcomers, that we dont need to "fear" their downfall.

AAA Indies could do a "dirty job" for a publisher if they are in dire needs. Yes, some could go under, but they are not in danger like AA indies.

you are oversimplifying it. There are much more than 3 categories of indies, in fact there are countless categories and I'm not a fan of all unpopular (even good niche game devs) thrown into shovelware category.
Indies doesn't have to sell millions to be successful or good devs, an indie dev that finds niche that is unfilled even if it's a game only 2K people will play and enjoy is much more valuable in my eyes than AA dev that will make a good game there are already hundreds good games like this.
We have AAA gaming for being bland, safe and uninspired, but making millions, don't we?

AHA-Lambda

I wonder which game will be No1. on September 8th. If Mad Max ends up on the first place and MGS V on second it will be interesting :D

Will never happen.

Grimrock underperformed?

Kyougar

you are oversimplifying it. There are much more than 3 categories of indies, in fact there are countless categories and I'm not a fan of all unpopular (even good niche game devs) thrown into shovelware category.
Indies doesn't have to sell millions to be successful or good devs, an indie dev that finds niche that is unfilled even if it's a game only 2K people will play and enjoy is much more valuable in my eyes than AA dev that will make a good game there are already hundreds good games like this.
We have AAA gaming for being bland, safe and uninspired, but making millions, don't we?

This has NOTHING to do with value and how much you, me or any other LIKE or HATE a game.

It is about survivability in regards to Budget, Headcount and ... Consumer goodwill.

"A" Indie games are still being made if an Indipocalypse happened. Our 1 hour masterpiece or a standard unity asset sh*t. Thats why its A Indie, There will always be someone who will try to make a quick buck with a shitty game or someone who pours his heart in his first project or his own magna opus that will be profitable with 2k Sales.

The "AA" or midbudget Indie sphere is at risk here.

This has NOTHING to do with value and how much you, me or any other LIKE or HATE a game.

It is about survivability in regards to Budget, Headcount and ... Consumer goodwill.

"A" Indie games are still being made if an Indipocalypse happened. Our 1 hour masterpiece or a standard unity asset sh*t. Thats why its A Indie, There will always be someone who will try to make a quick buck with a shitty game or someone who pours his heart in his first project or his own magna opus that will be profitable with 2k Sales.

The "AA" or midbudget Indie sphere is at risk here.

Risk for whom? Are we at risk of games not being made, or that studios will not survive beyond one or two releases?

Even at the triple A level, there is this endless cycle of studios forming, building up, releasing a title or two, and then disbanding. As long as a few games hit it big, there will always be someone who will take a chance and forming a group to develop something. I don't foresee any change in the number or quality of games we are getting. The only thing that has really changed is the big publishers aren't absorbing the bigger indies like they use to.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Do you ever post in a thread and then see that there are other people from this Steam thread here and wonder to yourself if they know who you are and vice versa?

for instance I see Atraveller or mmbostones or DrDogg or JaseC in a thread I posted with and I wonder if they know it is me.

does this make sense?
Yes, I was actually thinking about that earlier this morning. That also happens to me with people not from SteamGAF. I don't think people know who I am, especially because this year I've rarely been in this thread (not that I don't want to, it's just I've been out for so long that every time I come here, I feel utterly lost because I have no idea what you guys are talking about).

Red Amazon Is A Free Four-Minute Thriller

Now do I count this for the 52 games challenge?
Yeah, why not? It's a free +1 :p

Yes, I was actually thinking about that earlier this morning. That also happens to me with people not from SteamGAF. I don't think people know who I am, especially because this year I've rarely been in this thread (not that I don't want to, it's just I've been out for so long that every time I come here, I feel utterly lost because I have no idea what you guys are talking about).

That's ok. We don't know what we're talking about either.

I played some of The Swapper last night.

so it's a puzzle focused metroid-like? I gotta say, there were a couple of rooms that left me wondering if I was just too stupid to figure them out lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgears...n_update_steam_post_repost_first_fob_is_free/

Did someone post this? It looks like a F2P title, first FOB is free, but you need currency to develop it. And you can get those coins by logging daily? It will end to be something similar to "Spend 1000 coins to extend your FOB", 2 daily coins, 1 coin each mission you S rank. Lol :l
I hope Konami won't fuck up this.

I'm not clicking that shit, but is that the IGN stuff? I thought it was posted and debunked already.

so it's a puzzle focused metroid-like? I gotta say, there were a couple of rooms that left me wondering if I was just too stupid to figure them out lol

That game will make you brain feel like clay. har har. Good luck with the Achievements btw

Fdkn

The fact that most steam users wait for sales its what has motivated that increase thought.
Launching at €20 means your -50% sales are €10 instead of €5 and your -75% sales are €5 insteado of €2.5.

And I won't blame gamers for that, I do it too because I also have a three digits backlog so I can't afford to pay full price if I'm not going to play it in that very moment.

But I don't think steamspy is trying to blame anybody, they are just saying that there are signs of saturation and I certainly agree with them.

Edit: lol that quote made me jump to another thread

Jawmuncher

I'm not clicking that shit, but is that the IGN stuff? I thought it was posted and debunked already.

Microtransactions are the true spoilers. No it's reddit and it's a response from Konami.
Also that was gamespot and not IGN.

apparently http://jp.automaton.am got an update on the MB coin/FOB unlock.

"first base is open free of charge, things that it is necessary to purchase the currency only if you want to manage the subsequent multiple of FOB. Also, Konami by e-mail to the AUTOMATON editing part, "MB coin is also available as Daily login bonus".

It's a little more linear than a Metroidvania-like-like. There are a few puzzles that can really gut check you. I'd suggest walking away from it if you get the urge to try to Youtube one. Coming back fresh or getting your mind right seems to help.

I remember really digging the ambient sounds so I played the game fucking LOUD and loved every minute of it. It's fairly short, and the ending is great.

That game will make you brain feel like clay. har har. Good luck with the Achievements btw

I've never really been an achievement guy. for me, it's an achievement to finish a game so i'm just fine with that.

It's a little more linear than a Metroidvania-like-like. There are a few puzzles that can really gut check you. I'd suggest walking away from it if you get the urge to try to Youtube one. Coming back fresh or getting your mind right seems to help.

I remember really digging the ambient sounds so I played the game fucking LOUD and loved every minute of it. It's fairly short, and the ending is great.

Yeah, only one puzzle really got to me last night but my bigger issue was that once I knew how to solve it I had to nail the execution. Took me 3-4 tries to get it right so it was a bit annoying in that sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom