• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2015 - Three versions of Windows since the last Half-Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

reading on steam forums about people wanting / prefering old style MGS camera rather than this 'next-gen controls stuff that looks like any other game'

oh boy I certainly miss this

giphy.gif

the best

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
this is a weird one but:

if anyone was thinking of buying a $10 steam game, lemme know if you'd be willing to get me that Telltale bundle (think all games in the cart comes down to $10) from the Humble Store in exchange for me getting you the game on Steam since I managed to idle $10+ of cards

Uruguay is part of the CSA classification.

Dsyndrome

reading on steam forums about people wanting / prefering old style MGS camera rather than this 'next-gen controls stuff that looks like any other game'

oh boy I certainly miss this

giphy.gif

the best

Don't get seen. I don't remember ever being in a situation like that in MGS 1, mostly because you always saw where people were looking. MGS 4 on the other hand...

I may have though, it's been a while (>15 years).

Salsa

Don't get seen. I don't remember ever being in a situation like that in MGS 1, mostly because you always saw where people were looking. MGS 4 on the other hand...

I may have though, it's been a while.

not like that guy is playing how you're meant to play the game at all

but boy do I remember some cheapness with that camera

Jawmuncher

I'll give you MGS3 with the original camera. That could be a bit tough to work with. However MGS1 and 2, their camera's were fine. Especially with the solitron radar, which let you see enemy vision cones. Sure you can't see that during alert. but I really don't recall too many instances of being overwhelmed and unable to see.

zkylon

zkylewd
i did like the "metroidvania" (big quotation marks) aspect of metal gear 1 and 2, i think the old fixed camera just lent itself well to that backtracky level design

i really missed that in the ultra linear 3 and 4

I figured. What I meant was, for shows that slow down, suck, or have way too many filler episodes, memorable music or songs keep me watching. Stuff like Smallville, Buffy, especially True Blood, etc.
i c

me i just stop watching if i think it's shit lol

completitionism is like a waste of time imo

But would it have been enhanced by gratuitous sex and nudity? I vote yes.
probably not :p

i'd like to see liv go zombie mode more often tho

she's so damn cool lol

Also, did you drop True Detective season 1 or 2? I really liked 1 but I hear 2 is super disappointing in comparison.
i liked most of true detective 1, tho i found the gratuitous nudity and stuff was like kind of detracting in that hbo kind of way. i also found the last episode very anti-climatic and pretty much a complete 180 in tone and and just like a really bad episode overall lol.

i still like first season, mostly cinematography wise but also i enjoyed the nihilistic rambling, i don't necessarily think it was super deep or anything, but it had a real sense of style and atmosphere and i enjoy that a lot. i also really liked how it had like a hint of horror and fantastical elements that made it feel really unique. dem lousiana swamps too good

season 2 is indeed really bad. you can tell they tried to do things different and keep the overall pulpy and gritty feeling and all that but the writing is just unbelievably bad and the way the story unfolds is really cliche and just plain boring

it's really bad sadly

wetflame

Pizza Dog
season 2 is indeed really bad. you can tell they tried to do things different and keep the overall pulpy and gritty feeling and all that but the writing is just unbelievably bad and the way the story unfolds is really cliche and just plain boring

it's really bad sadly
I still have all the episodes saved up on my dvr, I don't think I'll ever end up watching them as pretty much everyone says it's much worse than the first series. Oh well.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I finished up Back to Bed. Most of the puzzles were pretty easy, although the nightmare versions were much more challenging. The controls were a little wonky, but still good enough to play with. They were only frustrating when the puzzles required tight timing between the apple placements and Bob's movements. I kind of got bored about halfway through the nightmare puzzles, but I was able to beat it after taking a break. It's a pretty short game (I clocked four hours), but it's fairly decent.

Tenrius

Regarding that previous Metro 2033 VA discussion: both versions are somewhat lacking, but the English one appears to be somewhat worse. Like the main character's voice sucks in both versions, but Russian Bourbon is much better (despite me finding his language tastless, but that's something that would only matter to Russian speakers) etc.

There's also a very questionable decision they made regarding translating station names. The main part of the appeal of the setting is that Moscow Metro is actually a real place and you can look all those stations up if not visit them in person. I understand that names such as Sukharevskaya would sound weird in English, but translating it as the "Dry Station" is even more weird.

It also doesn't make sense as a translation — the name Sukharevskaya doesn't have anything to do with dryness, it was named after Sukharev, a XVII century Russian army officer, whose family name comes from the word "sukhar" which is very similar to the word "sukho" (dry), but actually specifically means dried-up bread.

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Call of Pripyat -- MB-10559D8C8C864C6A - Taken by Purkake4. 9 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Of Orcs And Men -- MB-4D15777E0B7224AA - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 11 entrants total.

t1440982042z1.png

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Inversion (NA Restricted) -- MB-F5107FCB82B9B9E6 - Taken by Spring-Loaded. 7 entrants total.

t1440982162z1.png

Pachimari

The cameras for MGS1 and 2 were perfect for their time, and still are very fine. I see no problem with it, but I do prefer the way Guns of the Patriots and Ground Zeroes do things. :)

Not sure what but something on this page keeps crashing my android browser. Have stop loading of page early for it to not crash.
-
On MGS camera. I still fondly remember playing the MGS demo on a PS1 at my cousins as much as I could, haha. At first it was tough but after a little while I could move just the way I wanted. First-Person shooting was constantly tough though. Probably the shift between views.

Tenrius

Oh, and the game (Metro 2033) itself is pretty good, suprisingly so. I always wrote it off as a low-key offering, but all aspects of it are really solid. It reminds me of Half-Life in an unusual setting for some reason, which is a good thing, plus there's the peculiar gunplay, survival aspects, shops and upgrades. Kinda wish I'd be playing the Redux version though, I initially assumed it was just a graphical overhaul, but it actually seems to add a bunch of meanigful stuff (moral system, safes and keys, maybe something else).

Moral system is the same in the original and redux versions of Metro 2033. It's very subtle and not something you'd really look for unless you knew about it ahead of time. Last Light is the same way.

It just affects the ending.

Khronico

Welp.

Bought a second copy of doorkickers so I have a steam version now (got the gog version before).

It was well worth it.

It fills a rainbow six/swat sized hole in my heart.

Tenrius

Moral system is the same in the original and redux versions of Metro 2033. It's very subtle and not something you'd really look for unless you knew about it ahead of time. Last Light is the same way.

It just affects the ending.

Oh, really? I got stuck during the outside section and referred to a walkthrough for the Redux version which mentioned those things, so I assumed it's something new. Good to know then.

Oh, Doorkickers is the game I kept confusing Breach and Clear with and wondering why the reviews were much more muted than I thought they were.
Oh, really? I got stuck during the outside section and referred to a walkthrough for the Redux version which mentioned those things, so I assumed it's something new. Good to know then.
Yeah, as I said it's very subtle things. Don't steal from civilians, help out where you can, don't shoot people surrendering(Last Light), and so on.

Backlogger

There's also a very questionable decision they made regarding translating station names. The main part of the appeal of the setting is that Moscow Metro is actually a real place and you can look all those stations up if not visit them in person. I understand that names such as Sukharevskaya would sound weird in English, but translating it as the "Dry Station" is even more weird.

It also doesn't make sense as a translation — the name Sukharevskaya doesn't have anything to do with dryness, it was named after Sukharev, a XVII century Russian army officer, whose family name comes from the word "sukhar" which is very similar to the word "sukho" (dry), but actually specifically means dried-up bread.

Hmm I probably wouldn't have noticed this if someone hasn't pointed it out. I think using the Russian names would have made it feel more immersive. Interesting choice...

Annubis

I usually play episodic games when everything is hard out but I'm finding it hard to not touch Life is Strange after all the praise everyone in here showers on the game.

I just hope MGSV doesn't have as crappy camera as Rising does.

I heard they had Platinum come to Kojima Productions at the last minute to work exclusively on the camera, so who knows.

It will be like Ground Zeroes which is fine, standard 3rd person action style camera.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Anyone have speculation on when GMG will finally allow purchase of Metal Gear 5? Im in a conundrum of deciding whether to preorder or not. Im not finding many reasons though. I own GZ and there is no pre-load. Collectors video will be put on YT in no time and so probably best to wait and see if GMG goes up on release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom