• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Banned
Damn, that John Williams flourish at the end of the trailer... Still sends a shiver down my spine.

I'm not one for park builders, but buying it day 1.

jtb

Banned
I really wish Planet Coaster did not run like fucking garbage and had fun/deep management component. I've always been more of a Cedar Point than a Disneyland person, so the ride building has always been more interesting than the scenery building.

also, as far as I can tell, there's no go-to dark ride builder? That makes no sense for a game that's 100% reliant on building compelling scenery/theming, and in a world where all of the world's premier and most expensive rides aren't roller coasters but dark rides.

Jimrpg

I really wish Planet Coaster did not run like fucking garbage and had fun/deep management component. I've always been more of a Cedar Point than a Disneyland person, so the ride building has always been more interesting than the scenery building.

also, as far as I can tell, there's no go-to dark ride builder? That makes no sense for a game that's 100% reliant on building compelling scenery/theming, and in a world where all of the world's premier and most expensive rides aren't roller coasters but dark rides.

Yeah it doesn't run great. What PC specs are you running it on? I'm on an overclocked 4690k @ 4.5ghz and GTX1070 and I'm floating between 45-60fps high settings on 1440p on small parks. I don't know if it'll run any better on my old GTX970 as the game seems to be bottlenecked by the CPU.

It'll be real interesting how the new game Jurassic World Builder will run on PS4/XboxOne as their CPUs aren't nearly as powerful.

Regarding the park management aspect, I guess I tempered my expectations going in, knowing it was going to be a little lite there, so I've been having fun designing how it looks, rather than worry about the management aspects. There's just a lot of freedom with how Planet Coaster plays.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So... are you saying that the Malaysian version of PES is seperate to the rest-of-world PES, and if I buy a key from say CDkeys, it won't work using a Malaysian IP address?

Well, strictly speaking, there is no Malaysian version, but, yeah, pretty much.

It doesn't seem to say that on the CDKeys store page, just says worldwide, usually it'll say there's some sort of country restriction if there is any.

Yeah, CD Keys tends to just assume its rest-of-world keys will work worldwide. Its Wolf2 page also says the key will be region-free, but in fact it will be heavily region-locked to disallow access from German IPs.

Also I assumed that a key from a higher priced region would work in a equal or lower priced region?

That's generally true, however publishers are free to set up regional restrictions as they see fit and in this case the rest-of-world packages are activation-restricted to the particular countries they apply to.

Also in response to your second comment, if its possible to use VPN, then we could buy games from the cheapest regions (china, russia). I assumed that they would do an IP check while you're playing the russian/chinese version of the game?

As with retail keys, that's up to publishers. Store packages are generally region-free these days due to Valve cracking down heavily on arguably exploitative cross-region gifting.

Finally what's the easiest way to use a VPN to unlock a game? Hola and steam website? Tunnelbear and steam website?

You can't unlock a game or activate a key through the website, just the client. TunnelBear should do the trick in this case.

Erekiddo

I just noticed the Steam account page has a "total spent" field when using Enhanced Steam.

This... surely isn't accurate, I hope.

Store Purchases: $3,974.25
Gift Purchases: $228.19
Market Transactions: $14.57
Total Spent: $4,217.01

If so, shame on you JShackles. This depressing information should be hidden by default. :p

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I just noticed the Steam account page has a "total spent" field when using Enhanced Steam.

This... surely isn't accurate, I hope.

If so, shame on you JShackles. This depressing information should be hidden by default. :p

I believe it takes every game into account as if it was full price tho.

dont hold me to that, im not sure.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The White Day: A Labyrinth Named School remake releases tomorrow on Steam, and a sequel coming out in 2018 was announced:

White-Day-2-Ann_08-20-17.jpg

Tizoc

So will EA Gamescom thing be worse than Xbox Gamescom thing? Is that even possible?
30minutes of fifa where a prominent football player will be yapping with the hosts for 28 minutes, with a 2 min cgi trailer

Followed by a 30 minute focused on the new nfs where a car manufacturer rep will talk about their brand in the game all the while their new unaffordable car is in the background.

The only thing thatll make the ea conf exciting is if that car is stolen during the live confrence

Jimrpg

As with retail keys, that's up to publishers. Store packages are generally region-free these days due to Valve cracking down heavily on arguably exploitative cross-region gifting.

Why are the store packages generally region-free? Wouldn't that encourage cross-region gifting?

Apologies if you've already explained this.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Why are the store packages generally region-free? Wouldn't that encourage cross-region gifting?

Apologies if you've already explained this.

The package itself is region free, but the mechanism you have for gifting it to another user is restricted; you can only give a game to a user if the price in their region is within 10%-ish of the price in your region.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Very optimistic about the new JP theme park game, even if it is based on a shitty film.

Biomutant hype

DHsJ6dzW0AACzMf.jpg:large
as much as I like non-human protagonists...

...that is one boring non-human protagonist

also talk about conflicting design

zkylon

zkylewd
didn't play much hollow knight today cos my first steps into it got me into spider land and ehhhhhhhhhhhh idk

maybe i'll turn off sound, that helps

Boss Doggie

Yeah. Getting tired of all the mutant desperado warrior pseudo-animals who dress like pirates with cricket sidekicks.

Market is flooded with them at this point.

I know you're being sarcastic, but honestly that's what gets me. It's no different than the "scrappy-looking guy with scarf covering half of his face" shit you see, except now it's on a raccoon. And I already mentioned a conflicting design - so why does he wear an ammo belt with huge ammo while holding a huge sword? Rocket Raccoon works because in spite of liking to carry heavy things his person is always small enough for him to carry around.

I am indifferent in Rivals of Aether for instance (I avoid its rabid community) but their recent character, for instance, is top notch in design even if he is a ripoff of concept of Frogadier. He is essentially better than the rest of the cast. And I usually shit on that game's character design.

DG9kimCXoAA5pQG.jpg

Hektor

I know you're being sarcastic, but honestly that's what gets me. It's no different than the "scrappy-looking guy with scarf covering half of his face" shit you see, except now it's on a raccoon. And I already mentioned a conflicting design - so why does he wear an ammo belt with huge ammo while holding a huge sword? Rocket Raccoon works because in spite of liking to carry heavy things his person is always small enough for him to carry around.

I would imagine he's wearing an ammo belt because he probably also carries a gun, no?

Boss Doggie

I would imagine he's wearing an ammo belt because he probably also carries a gun, no?

yeah, but the ammo implies it's big, it doesn't really complement the sword

even Dante had to switch around when carrying a shotgun and sword

I'm not seeing any threads on gaming side except for the OT itself so I'm assuming pretty much nothing happened at the Xbox conference?

Hektor

DeutschGAF you soon will be able to by steamkeys from Aldi lol

https://www.aldilife.com/de/

yeah, but the ammo implies it's big, it doesn't really complement the sword

even Dante had to switch around when carrying a shotgun and sword

I think we can't really make that judgement without seeing the gun first, but even assuming that's the case I don't real see the issue with it personally

I'm not seeing any threads on gaming side except for the OT itself so I'm assuming pretty much nothing happened at the Xbox conference?

Id argue Operation Genesis 2 is pretty major

Ludens

Banned
I hope to see at least a trailer for Shenmue 3, considering it will release the next year.

Also for people asking about White Day price, it will probably be 30€, since that's the price of the digital PS4 version. On Plus you get a little discount, 2€ if I remember correctly, and there are no dlcs bonus (you need to purchase them apart).

PantsuJo

Well, at least Jawmuncher will have a new dino game released in 2017 (and it seems fun too), although it's not Dino Crisis....

... But GAF taught me to "belive".

Ludens

Banned
Lashboy post without comment

https://youtu.be/PhmPkYomz3I

So I was right, early 2018 release with season pass 1 contents probably (dunno if I posted it here or I was talking about it with Jawmuncher yesterday).

I just hope for a 40€ price tag at this point.

Meh, I expected late 2017. Hopefully it won't clash with Ni No Kuni 2 or Dragon Quest XI.

It's probably because the game will release with all dlcs on Steam, and the last one, Episode Ignis, drops on December. We don't know yet a release date for Comrades, the multiplayer expansion, but maybe today or this week we'll know more. The fact there's already a beta, anyway, makes me think we'll get Comrades before Ignis.

Wasn't expecting FFXV this year tbh.

A date for XII would be much more exciting to me and I've already played that one 3 times lol.

Maybe in the end the game will surprise me, who knows, it got a ton of updates so it must be in better shape by now, though my main issue is that I find the main characters very offputting and no patch is going to fix that. Story is supposed to be a mess too.

zkylon

zkylewd
EaHUarm.png

YEAH SURE

got through spiderland by turning sound off, playing some giantbomb in the background for some funny distractions and taking short breaks every bit but it was pretty manageable

i need to remember to check the failed tramway area and get this shitty place out of my life heh

it was doable tho, fortunately it's not a frustrating area or a place that it looks like i'm gonna be visiting a lot

i was hoping for a bit more payoff tho, area seems to sort of like end...

Well, considering SE release Rise of the Tomb Raider for full price with no dlcs, hoping for a 40€ price with all dlcs included is a damn fine thing to do.

That ULTIMATE QUALITY comes with a price tag my friends.

Oh wait, at the end of the trailer it gets upgraded to ultimate quality AND BEYOND! Yeah, that's gotta be $60 price tag.

Ludens

Banned
That ULTIMATE QUALITY comes with a price tag my friends.

Oh wait, at the end of the trailer it gets upgraded to ultimate quality AND BEYOND! Yeah, that's gotta be $60 price tag.

Sadly it's only the quality to be ULTIMATE, not the version...this makes me think about what will come with the game :S

Vuze

DeutschGAF you soon will be able to by steamkeys from Aldi lol

https://www.aldilife.com/de/
TIL Anastacia and Napster are still a thing

I wonder if there'll be any noteworthy deals on there. But yah, the idea of buying Steam keys from a discounter is kinda funny

btw, did anything newsworthy (games-wise) come out of the Xbox """presser""" yesterday? Gaming side is pretty sparse lol

yuraya

Damn that FFXV trailer was so good had to watch it trice :D

ULTIMATE QUALITY!!! lmao

About time Square announces it. Hopefully its a very good port. Will most definitely pick it up.

Ori 2, FFXV and Anthem. Next year is shaping up nicely. Hype!

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
btw, did anything newsworthy (games-wise) come out of the Xbox """presser""" yesterday? Gaming side is pretty sparse lol

new jurassic park game (also for ps4/pc), pre-order for the xbox one x is up, and MS being unclear what they mean when they say PUBG is exclusive (probably timed exclusive).

Vuze

new jurassic park game (also for ps4/pc), pre-order for the xbox one x is up, and MS being unclear what they man when they say PUBG is exclusive (probably timed exclusive).
Ah yeah, I've seen the trailer for the Jurassic Park game already, wasn't aware it was shown at the Xbox event. Pretty poor showing if that's all they had to announce, do they even have a showcase game for XBX at launch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom