• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonton

Can't wait for everyone playing Cold Steel for the first time, it's my least favorite Trails game but I still like it a lot
And that soundtrack 🔥🔥🔥🔥

The concept of microtransactions isn't really the issue, the issue with PUBG is all the specifics about it:

• Replicating the least consumer friendly version of micro transactions that are currently legal
  • Getting a single random piece of a random outfit (this could include shoes, ffs) with no dupe protection or alternative way of acquiring pieces
  • Implementing MT in Early Access to "test" it with no acknowledgement that this goes against their stated policy to not introduce MT in Early Access
  • Already had churned up a bunch of negative community feedback over the past weeks because of seemingly arbitrary and power hungry admin behaviors towards players

So I'll comment on this list from the bottom up.

The streamer drama is a non issue. It's going to provide fodder for forum chatter for a few days but that's it. Nobody is going to stop playing the game because their favorite streamer got banned. I was watching Twitch yesterday and the guy who got banned (Dr Disrespect) was happily streaming the game and had the most viewers of anyone doing so. He doesn't care, the dev doesn't care... nobody except maybe a few people give a shit about the banning incidents.

On the other hand, going back on their word to not implement microtransactions in early access can be a problem. I suspect that's why the dev felt he needed to provide his explanation in that announcement earlier. I remember Killing Floor 2 had a similar thing happen where they implemented microtransactions in the game while early access was still going on and there was a bit of an outcry over it. I don't know if it had any lasting effects on the overall popularity of the game but it does seem to have a lower profile than I thought it would so maybe that was one of the reasons. Then again, you have games like Payday 2 or Ark Survival Evolved that pulled off all kinds of shady shit with DLCs/microtransactions and it never really affected them negatively. The bottom line is that people will continue to play the games they find fun to play.

Some people are okay with loot boxes and some aren't. In the case of PUBG though, there is an alternative way to acquire those loot box items (through the Steam community market). If someone doesn't want to gamble with crates and keys then they can buy the specific item they want at a price determined by a player driven economy. This caters to both sets of people so I think it's okay.

Waiting for Beserkia to hit that cheap price Zestria did on the Namco store

Yup. Picked it up from there for about $8 if I remember correctly.

MUnited83

For you.
The concept of microtransactions isn't really the issue, the issue with PUBG is all the specifics about it:

• Replicating the least consumer friendly version of micro transactions that are currently legal
  • Getting a single random piece of a random outfit (this could include shoes, ffs) with no dupe protection or alternative way of acquiring pieces
  • Implementing MT in Early Access to "test" it with no acknowledgement that this goes against their stated policy to not introduce MT in Early Access
  • Already had churned up a bunch of negative community feedback over the past weeks because of seemingly arbitrary and power hungry admin behaviors towards players

There's a LOT of better models to emulate than the CS:GO one (which faced legal trouble in the past IIRC), and managing to make a more greedy version of that system is just... it's kind of obviously a greed powered play. I know the TERA company is the publisher for PUBG but the PUBG dev team is their own thing as far as I know so this is 100% their decision.

I don't have any issues at all with cosmetic micro transactions (I buy them in just about every game I play that has them), but I seriously dislike the choices and mentality displayed by the PUBG team lately, especially contrasted with a couple months ago. It's really hard to not just see it as the $$ taking over, despite being many times more successful than they ever expected already.
You already have the alternative way of getting individual pieces. Buy them directly on the Steam market. You can even sell off your crates in the market so you can afford it.

Erekiddo

Someone sell me on Fidel.

header.jpg

How long is it?

Tizoc

But it is an average 2d platformer and I am a sucker for 2d platformers...

but fidel does look awesome.

If you go game over is Fidel Castrated ? ;D

Eh?
That game doesn't look like a platformer; it is a puzzle game.

Amzin

So I'll comment on this list from the bottom up.

The streamer drama is a non issue. It's going to provide fodder for forum chatter for a few days but that's it. Nobody is going to stop playing the game because their favorite streamer got banned. I was watching Twitch yesterday and the guy who got banned (Dr Disrespect) was happily streaming the game and had the most viewers of anyone doing so. He doesn't care, the dev doesn't care... nobody except maybe a few people give a shit about the banning incidents.

On the other hand, going back on their word to not implement microtransactions in early access can be a problem. I suspect that's why the dev felt he needed to provide his explanation in that announcement earlier. I remember Killing Floor 2 had a similar thing happen where they implemented microtransactions in the game while early access was still going on and there was a bit of an outcry over it. I don't know if it had any lasting effects on the overall popularity of the game but it does seem to have a lower profile than I thought it would so maybe that was one of the reasons. Then again, you have games like Payday 2 or Ark Survival Evolved that pulled off all kinds of shady shit with DLCs/microtransactions and it never really affected them negatively. The bottom line is that people will continue to play the games they find fun to play.

Some people are okay with loot boxes and some aren't. In the case of PUBG though, there is an alternative way to acquire those loot box items (through the Steam community market). If someone doesn't want to gamble with crates and keys then they can buy the specific item they want at a price determined by a player driven economy. This caters to both sets of people so I think it's okay.

I was referring to the banning a player for supposedly stream sniping, within 20 minutes of the incident, while also NOT banning a player that there was more proof for actually stream sniping, while all the while stating their stance of "no special treatment". The DrDisrespect ban was fully justified and the only outcry was small from some of his fans, which is expected and a non-issue, and faded within a day or so.

I don't blame them for wanting to test MT in early access (although I think it's 100% unneeded and could absolutely have waited), but the way they communicated everything until the updated statement TODAY was to basically treat the community and player base very, very poorly, which has been a sudden trend. Even the people that had no issue with the MT system said PU needs a real PR person sooner rather than later (which it sounds like they may have just implemented)

The actual system itself is obviously hard to objectively rate, as are most economic things, so very much opinionated. But just looking at the history of CS:GO crates and then the version of that PUBG is adopting, it looks scummy as hell and not something I would ever try and justify, nor something I will ever support financially. I personally won't even sell any crates I do get, because that would be supporting the practice by PU getting his cut. PUBG does need some kind of income to support development after release but there are much fairer ways to do it that still will generate more than enough income, especially from ~400,000+ players daily. They already got my $30 and I do enjoy the game but if they go with this system they have lost any further financial support I was going to give, and I am aware not everyone feels this way but maybe it's more than a drop in the ocean.

Again, the MT is very heavily opinion driven, so I can't speak to it as cleanly as the other actions which were very clearly mishandled.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Saints Row 2 -- MB-A05071E171D3AB30

Deques

No Environmental Station Alpha? eh

It was made with ClickTeam Fusion

Every tier does, you just need to register the Gamemaker keys on their site, wait a couple of weeks, and your steam key will be delivered.

If I recall, they have changed how you get the Steam version. You have to link your Steam account and it will show up in your library some times later

Cooked Served Delicious source code!
Make the health inspector even sexier!

I would love the source code for it

fake edit: nvm I already have it from the previous bundle :D

Bl@de

People from the codex apparently already downloading Grimoire. I think it is time. The world is ending...

Here you go gobstoppers

ModBot said:
Instructions for Demon Lizardman:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Demon Lizardman, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Cook, Serve, Delicious! -- MB-A038BB21312D5046 - Taken by Orakio Rob. 3 entrants total.
Uncanny Valley -- MB-31090E12661AF429 - Taken by CGriffiths86. 2 entrants total.

t1501629902z1.png

oni-link

Is Symphonia worth it? I know it has some issues, looks like a mod fixes most of them, but is the game good? The only Tales games I've played are Phantasia (SFC) and a few hours of Vesperia.

If you like old PS2 era RPGs and the Tales series in general, then yes, go for it

Wok

It looks like GRIMOIRE is really planned for today.

I'm on the verge of adding to my whishlist so that I can get an email notification when the game gets discounted in the future.

Kifimbo

A quick look at the sales of the biggest Steam releases in July. The top seller is...yeah.

Great/Good
Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Simulator - 133,202 ± 10,375 (WTF)
Kingdoms and Castles - 100,642 ± 9,018
Next Day: Survival - 85,841 ± 8,329
Pyre - 60,047 ± 6,966

Decent
The End Is Nigh - 33,195 ± 5,180
Fate/EXTELLA - 27,909 ± 4,749
Fire Pro Wrestling World - 26,006 ± 4,584
Minecraft: Story Mode - Season Two - 18,395 ± 3,856
Fable Fortune - 13,532 ± 3,307
Children of Zodiarcs - 6,554 ± 2,301

Bad/Bomba
Super Cloudbuilt - 2,326 ± 1,371
Lode Runner Legacy - 2,167 ± 1,603
Wild Guns Reloaded - 2,114 ± 1,307

Too early to tell
Citadel: Forged with Fire - 59,201 ± 6,917 (Great start)
Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 - 54,338 ±6,627 (A good start)
Foxhole - 24,315 ± 4,433 (Another good start)
Sundered - 10,360 ± 2,893

Last month Too early to tell, updated
Micro Machines World Series - 5,920 ± 2,187
The Golf Club 2 - 5,497 ± 2,108

Let me know if I missed some games.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I'm into retrogaming, so I don't mind outdated graphics and mechanics. The things I'm looking for in a game like this are 1) a fun and interesting world to explore and 2) characters/plot that put a smile on my face. Will I find it in Symphonia?
I think the world was pretty cool. There was a lot of variety to the areas. I have my favorites out of the cast, but the plot was sort of juvenile.

Madventure

It looks like GRIMOIRE is really planned for today.

I'm on the verge of adding to my whishlist so that I can get an email notification when the game gets discounted in the future.

The developer has already gone on a tirade about how he will never discount the game ever besides the initial 10% discount. Plus he seems like a complete nutjob.

I wouldn't count your chickens to determine the wealth of your horses for his sake if you understand the value of my phrase sayings!

Drakhyrr

So, I want to talk about a game I finished yesterday:

Gothic II: Gold Edition

The first thing that has to be said is that the version sold on both Steam and GOG is the Gold Edition, which includes the expansion Night of the Raven. Unlike in most other games, this expansion not only adds more content to the game, but deeply changes the game itself, turning it into a very hardcore experience.

Now, I didn't think Dark Souls was all that hard (just for reference), and I had played Gothic 1 before, so I thought I knew what I was doing. And it's not that I was wrong, after all I did manage to beat it, but the game turned out to be so frustratingly hard that I'm quite sure my experience would have been much better without the added difficulty from the expansion.

First, for those who have not played Gothic or Risen, a basic explanation about the most peculiar things about Piranha Bytes' games: there is no level scaling, and no enemy respawn. That means two things: the difficulty of the enemies sets the order you do things, and XP is a limited resource (save for a few glitches, but I'd rather not count those).

This first aspect (fixed monsters) meant I spent long stretches only trying to find out what I could do that did not involve impossible fights, which severely limited my freedom. Sometimes I would have to insist on near-impossible fights, saving and reloading multiple times until I got it right (and had luck). The second aspect meant that in order to beat this game, I had to become a completionist (or I'd pass on essential XP) and a min-maxer - and that's just not my style at all.

I had played Gothic 1 and loved it, and I thought both of these aspects where strong points. For G2, though, It's not that I disliked the game and the 70 hours I spent in it, but the difficulty took the series strengths and turned them against me, and so G1 will go down as the better game in my memory.

So, unless you like very hard experiences, min-maxing, and are a completionist, I'd recommend playing this without the expansion. I'm pretty sure I'd have enjoyed this game much more that way, and the new content wasn't even really interesting IMO. I think there is a way to take NOTR out of the gold edition, but I didn't really look into it.

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to playing Gothic 3, and then the Risen trilogy, and the upcoming Elex. For now, though, I will give it a rest and play something different from the backlog.

prudislav

Some spares
ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (prudislav, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Bone - Episode 1 & Episode 2 -- MB-BB649C33BAA6A0D7 - Taken by gabbo. 1 entrants total.
Homefront -- MB-724C1820CCF2EDF8 - Taken by dot. 8 entrants total.
Killer is Dead - Nightmare Edition (regionlocked) -- MB-B5F4964B3696C9E8 - Taken by sadblob. 7 entrants total.
Risen 3 Complete Edition (regionlocked) -- MB-BF604AFEBCB96E41 - Taken by Arminsc. 6 entrants total.
Saints Row 2 (blocked in GER) -- MB-CDF4B411C87B1DFF
Saints Row The Third (blocked in GER) -- MB-18313FC0A49EB504 - Taken by sixteen-bit. 2 entrants total.
Secret Files: Tunguska -- MB-51ACE864E717DA90 - Taken by Mikurden. 8 entrants total.

t1501708800z1.png

AHA-Lambda

Ok I take back my previous comment about Pyre.

It's quickly grabbing my interest now that after a good few hours in, things are opening up with some interesting choices and decisions to make, different playstyles are appearing, plus the difficulty of the matches is ramping up now.

Previously it was like a slow Oregon Trail with piss easy matches; first few hours are not good :/

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
As a puzzle game with randomly generated content, "length" isn't the right consideration

dude, you're a reviewer. You get your games for free (I assume). Maybe don't go telling people what the "right consideration" is for what they determine is a purchasing factor.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Bundle stuff I don't want!

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Cook, Serve, Delicious! -- MB-ED58A870F6000154 - Taken by voodooray. 1 entrants total.
Lost Horizon -- MB-151443F888AE036A - Taken by Mikurden. 8 entrants total.
Secret Files: Tunguska -- MB-796B3D1C2CB15689 - Taken by madjoki. 2 entrants total.

t1501637607z1.png

MUnited83

For you.
dude, you're a reviewer. You get your games for free (I assume). Maybe don't go telling people what the "right consideration" is for what they determine is a purchasing factor.

Why are you always so quick to put your finger on the trigger? He's right, lenght is not a consideration at all with Fidel. According to his review, the game is based around randomly generated puzzle rooms.

So the game literally has no "lenght", it's as replayable as you want it to be. People won't have similar times with it.

Madventure

My only complaint in that review is why would you tie in half of your review just to essentially link to another review about The Witness

Also it has too many words. I'm stupid entertain me with pictures.

Welp file under SHOCKING NEWS: Playdek has given up on their legendary Kickstarter project, "Unsung Story". Before I explain this further, I'll let this article title lay the groundwork.

"Kickstarter disaster Unsung Story has been sold to the developer of Barbie & Her Sisters Puppy Rescue"

The developer mentioned is Little Orbit, who are like the second coming of Majesco judging from their catalog, who are now taking over at starting the project from scratch, focusing on what the backers have wanted all along. I mean, they sound genuine...however nothing genuine has come from this Kickstarter. Which means...this ride never ends.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see the above posted. This KS still continues to plague me.

EdmondD

So, I want to talk about a game I finished yesterday:

Gothic II: Gold Edition

The first thing that has to be said is that the version sold on both Steam and GOG is the Gold Edition, which includes the expansion Night of the Raven. Unlike in most other games, this expansion not only adds more content to the game, but deeply changes the game itself, turning it into a very hardcore experience.

Now, I didn't think Dark Souls was all that hard (just for reference), and I had played Gothic 1 before, so I thought I knew what I was doing. And it's not that I was wrong, after all I did manage to beat it, but the game turned out to be so frustratingly hard that I'm quite sure my experience would have been much better without the added difficulty from the expansion.

First, for those who have not played Gothic or Risen, a basic explanation about the most peculiar things about Piranha Bytes' games: there is no level scaling, and no enemy respawn. That means two things: the difficulty of the enemies sets the order you do things, and XP is a limited resource (save for a few glitches, but I'd rather not count those).

This first aspect (fixed monsters) meant I spent long stretches only trying to find out what I could do that did not involve impossible fights, which severely limited my freedom. Sometimes I would have to insist on near-impossible fights, saving and reloading multiple times until I got it right (and had luck). The second aspect meant that in order to beat this game, I had to become a completionist (or I'd pass on essential XP) and a min-maxer - and that's just not my style at all.

I had played Gothic 1 and loved it, and I thought both of these aspects where strong points. For G2, though, It's not that I disliked the game and the 70 hours I spent in it, but the difficulty took the series strengths and turned them against me, and so G1 will go down as the better game in my memory.

So, unless you like very hard experiences, min-maxing, and are a completionist, I'd recommend playing this without the expansion. I'm pretty sure I'd have enjoyed this game much more that way, and the new content wasn't even really interesting IMO. I think there is a way to take NOTR out of the gold edition, but I didn't really look into it.

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to playing Gothic 3, and then the Risen trilogy, and the upcoming Elex. For now, though, I will give it a rest and play something different from the backlog.
The key to the Gothic games is to learn how to make the permanent stat boosting potions and use those to strengthen your character. The game is insanely hard though regardless. I had to use all kinds of tricks like kiting the orc at the beginning of the game to fight a guard and then kill him for the xp. Gothic 3 and Risen are a joke. The games never go back to that insane difficulty of Gothic 2. They also never go back to the greatness of Gothic 2 either in my opinion but are very enjoyable in their own right.

Madventure

I have never gotten a coupon from GMG.

I never did either and I went through and check marked all of their stuff on my GMG account and then re-signed up for their newsletter and that's apparently what I wasn't signed up for, so that might be the same.

It's the only thing that isn't a check mark type thing inside your actual account had re-type out the email at the bottom of the page "Sign up for newsletter"

samred

Tetris only has seven pieces. Therefore, I score it 7/100. Don't even get me started on how short Dr. Mario is. /s

Like my review says, I'm still playing it nearly every day since getting it over a month ago, so, there ya go.

zkylon

zkylewd
fucking visa man

an hour of yelling at people on the phone for it not to work

i need to change credit cards, tired of those jokers

i just want to play fidel god fucking damn it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom