• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madventure

It's kind of like a car crash you don't want to look, but you kind have this morbid curiosity.

Anyways there was suggestions amongst that dumpster fire actually

Which was already on my wishlist actually but I found out that it's going to get a price increase after this current sale, not a huge increase but a little one. They're going to gradually raise the price throughout its early access to its final price for final release.

Another dungeon crawler which also happens to be on sale! It looks fairly simple but it's on sale so yeah and distracts from... Yeah

Popstar

It's kind of like a car crash you don't want to look, but you kind have this morbid curiosity.

Anyways there was suggestions amongst that dumpster fire actually
What was the name of that C64 era Ultima/Phantasie/Questron/etc. style game that was on Kickstarter a little while back?

I should wishlist it if it has a Steam page.

Anyone?

EDIT: Was thinking of Unknown Realm

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I thought Steam started to limit achievements to 5000. So why is there an early access game with over 12000 now available?

Also note that the title of the game and the title listed by the "add to cart" button are different.

The achievements would have been added prior to the limit being imposed (app 656270 was reserved mid-June and it looks like the dev started fiddling with the game a few weeks later, in earlyish July), so while there are more than 5,000, additional ones can't be added.

"Buy [x]" reads from the package name rather than the app name, hence the discrepancy. The Girl in Red was the original name as Steam auto-generates three packages when you reserve an app: [app name] Developer Comp, [app name] for Beta Testing and [app name] (for the store/retail keys).

Ascheroth

So, I want to talk about a game I finished yesterday:

Gothic II: Gold Edition

The first thing that has to be said is that the version sold on both Steam and GOG is the Gold Edition, which includes the expansion Night of the Raven. Unlike in most other games, this expansion not only adds more content to the game, but deeply changes the game itself, turning it into a very hardcore experience.

Now, I didn't think Dark Souls was all that hard (just for reference), and I had played Gothic 1 before, so I thought I knew what I was doing. And it's not that I was wrong, after all I did manage to beat it, but the game turned out to be so frustratingly hard that I'm quite sure my experience would have been much better without the added difficulty from the expansion.

First, for those who have not played Gothic or Risen, a basic explanation about the most peculiar things about Piranha Bytes' games: there is no level scaling, and no enemy respawn. That means two things: the difficulty of the enemies sets the order you do things, and XP is a limited resource (save for a few glitches, but I'd rather not count those).

This first aspect (fixed monsters) meant I spent long stretches only trying to find out what I could do that did not involve impossible fights, which severely limited my freedom. Sometimes I would have to insist on near-impossible fights, saving and reloading multiple times until I got it right (and had luck). The second aspect meant that in order to beat this game, I had to become a completionist (or I'd pass on essential XP) and a min-maxer - and that's just not my style at all.

I had played Gothic 1 and loved it, and I thought both of these aspects where strong points. For G2, though, It's not that I disliked the game and the 70 hours I spent in it, but the difficulty took the series strengths and turned them against me, and so G1 will go down as the better game in my memory.

So, unless you like very hard experiences, min-maxing, and are a completionist, I'd recommend playing this without the expansion. I'm pretty sure I'd have enjoyed this game much more that way, and the new content wasn't even really interesting IMO. I think there is a way to take NOTR out of the gold edition, but I didn't really look into it.

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to playing Gothic 3, and then the Risen trilogy, and the upcoming Elex. For now, though, I will give it a rest and play something different from the backlog.
Yeah, I remember disliking Night of the Raven for the same reasons. I liked the new content, but the gameplay/progression changes are bad. Don't think I've ever completed the game without glitching.

Anyway, now I have that Gothic/Risen itch again and I blame you for it. Especially because it will have to go unscratched for a while due to Cold Steel.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Haha, it's the Limed guy again that awarded himself special awards from his own company, the Limed Reward Organisation.

“Very good game”
12/10 – Limed

2.png

I'm really interested to see whether Hellblade ends up being a legitimately realistic depiction of psychosis based off well-researched mental illness and stimulant abuse or if it's the stereotypical madhouse you've come to expect

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm really interested to see whether Hellblade ends up being a legitimately realistic depiction of psychosis based off mental illness and stimulant abuse or if it's the stereotypical madhouse you've come to expect

you already know the awnser to that question

you already know the awnser to that question
Realistically most likely it'll be nothing, but one can at least hope for something more as they're the first company I can think of to at least bring something similar up and for at least two years of development they've brought it up as something they've considered so hopefully it's not just awkward bad combat and forced and exaggerated psychosis lol.

Then again Ninja Theory was behind that hilarious forced sniper scene in DmC so I'm ready to be surprised more than expecting subtlety.

I mean has there been any game in recent years to explore mental illness at all?

Edith Fincher aside.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Mash A to overcome inner demons.

Represented by literal demons.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Realistically most likely it'll be nothing, but one can at least hope for something more as they're the first company I can think of to at least bring something similar up and for at least two years of development they've brought it up as something they've considered so hopefully it's not just awkward bad combat and forced and exaggerated psychosis lol.

Then again Ninja Theory was behind that hilarious forced sniper scene so I'm ready to be surprised more than expecting subtlety.

I mean has there been any game in recent years to explore mental illness at all?

err... Alice Madness Returns? Fran Bow? And both of those are just the typical horror style depiction of insanity.

I just feel like Hellblade if as carefully considered as they've suggested will be a legimente talking point and I just hope they've treated the subject with the respect it deserves and it doesn't become a generic but stylistic action game.

EdmondD

I hope the same Chance Hale but I really dislike Ninja Theory so I expect absolutely nothing from them. DMC was alright from a gameplay perspective but the writing was insulting. Heavenblade also sucked and had bad writing.

Hey, GAF. I heard you like games.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 23 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (HP_Wuvcraft, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Cook, Serve, Delicious -- MB-2E518AB010601E74 - Taken by Grug
Galactic Missle Defense -- MB-CFE4BB6E15F0600B - Taken by InquisitorAles
Home -- MB-BED5905F93C6E9DB - Taken by voodooray
INK -- MB-7982A5A0D99EA498 - Taken by Shalashaska
Solstice -- MB-1497D1A8472786C6 - Taken by septicore
Uncanny Valley -- MB-D98171F52CFBA6A6 - Taken by fuzzy123
Army of Tentacles: (Not) A Cthulhu Dating Sim -- MB-0085BBEC1B706460 - Taken by PaulSane
Army of Tentacles: (Not) A Cthulhu Dating Sim #10 -- MB-5CEC42BDECF118F5 - Taken by lazerfox
Army of Tentacles: (Not) A Cthulhu Dating Sim #2 -- MB-F43B413B7067EE11
Army of Tentacles: (Not) A Cthulhu Dating Sim #3 -- MB-97B2BD0161319438
Army of Tentacles: (Not) A Cthulhu Dating Sim #4 -- MB-1BFE377F576B88A0 - Taken by fenners
Army of Tentacles: (Not) A Cthulhu Dating Sim #5 -- MB-4C17F2698FBE44E5 - Taken by MaxiLive
Army of Tentacles: (Not) A Cthulhu Dating Sim #6 -- MB-47BABB345095D59E
Army of Tentacles: (Not) A Cthulhu Dating Sim #7 -- MB-50BBEDB55FFFC951 - Taken by nightstorm
Army of Tentacles: (Not) A Cthulhu Dating Sim #8 -- MB-E07E230ED6A5E868
Army of Tentacles: (Not) A Cthulhu Dating Sim #9 -- MB-6DB31708DE31A033
Super Army of Tentacles 3: The Search for Army of Tentacles 2 -- MB-79BD7BF90289343E - Taken by Rockin' Ranger
Super Army of Tentacles 3: The Search for Army of Tentacles 2 #2 -- MB-9C84ECF451B9A9A2 - Taken by Popstar
Super Army of Tentacles 3: The Search for Army of Tentacles 2 #3 -- MB-E6EE502A5E08A4C8 - Taken by rainking187
Super Army of Tentacles 3: The Search for Army of Tentacles 2 #4 -- MB-DC5F915D030B5975 - Taken by bobnowhere
Super Army of Tentacles 3: The Search for Army of Tentacles 2 #5 -- MB-DB210AAE5F2776A4 - Taken by electroflame
Super Army of Tentacles 3: The Search for Army of Tentacles 2 #6 -- MB-2F1CD3A861BC4573 - Taken by FoneBone
Super Army of Tentacles 3: The Search for Army of Tentacles 2 #7 -- MB-E724C28046456A13 - Taken by Eila

zkylon

zkylewd
gCkoF3r.jpg

so tacoma is basically the bioshock alumni version of analogue: a hate story

it's been pretty neat for the hour and change i've put into it so far, lots of rumaging through dead people's belonging and audio diarying and note reading. it's specially enjoyable that everything is super interactable so if you find a pool cue you can actually play pool with it and other shit like that

not feeling it 100% yet, i think the set up has been a bit lukewarm so far but probably gonna ramp up soon, just needs for the mystery to kick in proper

there's also some elevator loading screen action that give me some honest vertigo which is kind of cool heh

Lain

Why did none of you tell me this weird game was released on Steam?

The aim of this game is to maneuver Taro Heibon and get close to the cos-play girls without being noticed. It's the right time to get close to them when they are facing away, so try to move closer before they face round. After passing all the stages, you can register the girls in your Gallery.

Taro Heibon will attempt to approach while the girls are looking away!
He is a weak middle-aged man, but sometimes borrows the power of sake and boldly and quickly approaches!
Let's hit the LR trigger repeatedly and approach the girl as soon as possible without being noticed!

kagamin

Finished chapter 2 in Trails in the Sky SC! Forgot to do a few requests that popped up so I had to go back and do those unfortunately, but now I'm all back on track and I'm done with those stupid evil penguins.

Durante

People always say Steam has no QA, but ToCS actually failed the first round of approval because they said it doesn't have full controller support.

It totally does have full controller support though, and it just went through (finally, it's cutting it pretty close).

Is the excitement about Grimiore because of it's long development time or is there something I'm missing, looks like a pretty basic old school RPG from what I've seen.

If it actually exists then it will have been labored on for years by a potential lunatic. Per Wikipedia standards, this makes it notable.

It will be garbage, but notable garbage.

Ascheroth

People always say Steam has no QA, but ToCS actually failed the first round of approval because they said it doesn't have full controller support.

It totally does have full controller support though, and it just went through (finally, it's cutting it pretty close).
Was that some automated checking or did someone actually look at the game?
Fingers crossed that the launch will be a smooth one.
Any idea how big the download will be? If it's below 10GB I might get to play today :p

KainXVIII

So, I want to talk about a game I finished yesterday:

Gothic II: Gold Edition

The first thing that has to be said is that the version sold on both Steam and GOG is the Gold Edition, which includes the expansion Night of the Raven. Unlike in most other games, this expansion not only adds more content to the game, but deeply changes the game itself, turning it into a very hardcore experience.

Now, I didn't think Dark Souls was all that hard (just for reference), and I had played Gothic 1 before, so I thought I knew what I was doing. And it's not that I was wrong, after all I did manage to beat it, but the game turned out to be so frustratingly hard that I'm quite sure my experience would have been much better without the added difficulty from the expansion.

First, for those who have not played Gothic or Risen, a basic explanation about the most peculiar things about Piranha Bytes' games: there is no level scaling, and no enemy respawn. That means two things: the difficulty of the enemies sets the order you do things, and XP is a limited resource (save for a few glitches, but I'd rather not count those).

This first aspect (fixed monsters) meant I spent long stretches only trying to find out what I could do that did not involve impossible fights, which severely limited my freedom. Sometimes I would have to insist on near-impossible fights, saving and reloading multiple times until I got it right (and had luck). The second aspect meant that in order to beat this game, I had to become a completionist (or I'd pass on essential XP) and a min-maxer - and that's just not my style at all.

I had played Gothic 1 and loved it, and I thought both of these aspects where strong points. For G2, though, It's not that I disliked the game and the 70 hours I spent in it, but the difficulty took the series strengths and turned them against me, and so G1 will go down as the better game in my memory.

So, unless you like very hard experiences, min-maxing, and are a completionist, I'd recommend playing this without the expansion. I'm pretty sure I'd have enjoyed this game much more that way, and the new content wasn't even really interesting IMO. I think there is a way to take NOTR out of the gold edition, but I didn't really look into it.

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to playing Gothic 3, and then the Risen trilogy, and the upcoming Elex. For now, though, I will give it a rest and play something different from the backlog.

Thanks for reminding me, that i still need to bear Risen 😀

Wait, so full controller support is a must have for Steam games or did I misinterpreted that?

I really hope that's the case because the lack of controller support in games is such a deal breaker for me.

Eila

Wait, so full controller support is a must have for Steam games or did I misinterpreted that?

I really hope that's the case because the lack of controller support in games is such a deal breaker for me.

Maybe it is if you advertise the game as having full controller support. Must be why all those games with a launcher are tagged as partial controller support.

Durante

Full controller support is a must if you put the "full controller support" tag on the store.

Making it a must for everything would be supremely stupid, forcing every type of game to implement controller support is very silly. Go and try to play TIS-100 with a controller, I dare you.

Maybe it is if you advertise the game as having full controller support. Must be why all those games with a launcher are tagged as partial controller support.
Yeah, I guess they didn't expect a fully controller enabled launcher.

(Nobody expects the fully controller enabled Austrian launcher)

Echoplx

Nah it's just if you want to advertise full controller support.

There would be basically no strategy games on Steam otherwise lol.

DGKXemQUQAA9NVo.jpg:small

I told you guys XSeed would be pushing the waifu angle for the steam release when they published that first pic. Can't blame them, I just want the game to do well, but seeing someone coming into the Trails community thread to ask if this game is just otaku bait is a bit disappointing lol.

Eila

DGKXemQUQAA9NVo.jpg:small

I told you guys XSeed would be pushing the waifu angle for the steam release when they published that first pic. Can't blame them, I just want the game to do well, but seeing someone coming into the Trails community thread to ask if this game is just otaku bait is a bit disappointing lol.

It wouldn't be japanese without the hot springs episode.

Madventure

So apparently the Developer for Grimoire didn't know that there was a review by period for submitted things and I guess assumed it scanned it automagically when it was.
It sounds like he used the count down timer as a last point for me to make changes and submit to valve, but according to design docs for submission it takes 3-5 business days. So..
Now he's chain shit posting in his "games" discussion board.
Talk about a dumpster fire

Man, I'm REALLY on the fence on the Cold Steel. The price might be the deal maker/breaker for me.

Only a few hours left, right?

Full controller support is a must if you put the "full controller support" tag on the store.

Making it a must for everything would be supremely stupid, forcing every type of game to implement controller support is very silly. Go and try to play TIS-100 with a controller, I dare you.

Yeah, I guess they didn't expect a fully controller enabled launcher.

(Nobody expects the fully controller enabled Austrian launcher)

Nah it's just if you want to advertise full controller support.

There would be basically no strategy games on Steam otherwise lol.

Ah okay. Lol that's right. I didn't think of the PC focused games somehow.

It's Village had to manually input every acheev.

Watch as it only has one card. Because the creator is obviously insane.

EDIT: IT HAS NO CARDS.

EDIT 2: OF COURSE JASE OWNS IT.

There's some doubts over the rights to the game so...

Also thanks for Tentacles as well!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The minimum is actually five. It wouldn't make much sense for it to be lower than three since that's how many drops you get when you buy a game.

Haha, only because someone on my friends list said it might be in danger of being pulled since it seems to be a presumably unauthorised rebranding of a freeware game.

Orgen

Yes, I believe that's gonna be one of the spinoffs.

We'll see (or better said "we'll read" because I'm not paying for the live stream) in a few minutes... but if there's going to be a Persona Q 2 and another Persona Dance game I think it's enough spinoffs for now so P5R should be a new version for P5.

Now I jinxed it and P5R will be a mobile game :| haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom