• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

Is there any chance we'll get another Mafia game?

I really want Hangar 13 to go back in time, and let me build my own mafia family.

I really want Hangar 13 to go back in time, and let me build my own mafia family.

Mafia III sold like 5 million copies so I would say another one is pretty likely, I'd love to see what Hangar 13 does with the lessons learned from Mafia III.

Jawmuncher

Mafia 4 just needs to be the gameplay of 3 with more story missions as the focus like in 2 (Instead of repetitive content like in 3). Best game ever right there.

Pachimari

I just started up Mafia III because of that thread which says it's gotten better after all the DLC has been implemented making it more varied than when it first came out. I hope it won't be as repetitive as it once were, cause that was the whole reason I stayed away from starting it up.

Anyway, so far the controls feels weird both with keyboard and mouse and controller, and I'm experiencing framedrops here and there. The graphics is pretty good, and I like the plot so far, and all them characters.

oipic

Grimoire Heralds of the Winged Exemplar dev posted on the Steam forums an hour ago that he was still 'testing' the "Save-Load/Change Screen Resolution/relaunch/change config/etc" under Win10 to ensure all was OK before 'asking Steam for approval' to launch.

Funny stuff, right until the end (this is the end, right?).

Madventure

I applied for a Job at Hangar 13 when they were in the final stages of working on Mafia 3 before they had officially announced it, and the people for my interview didn't seem totally burnt out or anything at that point so I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities for another.

Grimoire Heralds of the Winged Exemplar dev posted on the Steam forums an hour ago that he was still 'testing' the "Save-Load/Change Screen Resolution/relaunch/change config/etc" under Win10 to ensure all was OK before 'asking Steam for approval' to launch.

If he doesn't just release the stupid thing he's always going to find something to mess with, that's literally all the guy has been working on for 20 + years

Whenever he does actually release it (If not within the next few hours) People are going to find bugs and problems and laugh at him

FLD

Anyone play Slime Rancher? Thinking of picking it up.

I got it from Humble Monthly last year and I couldn't play anything else for a few days. It even made me drop new releases I was already in the middle of playing. I only made myself stop because it was so good that I wanted to wait for the full release before going through all the content.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I got it from Humble Monthly last year and I couldn't play anything else for a few days. It even made me drop new releases I was already in the middle of playing. I only made myself stop because it was so good that I wanted to wait for the full release before going through all the content.

really wish I didnt skip that monthly, especially since shortly after I just said fuck it and left it auto renewing :/

Pyre is really cool, wasn't expecting it to play like it does, color me surprised. I hadn't watched any pre-release stuff so I went in blind and am really liking it so far.

Madventure

Will it launch? Will it be pushed back another month? Another 20 years? 8 hours until the mystery is revealed !

Apparently it will just roll over onto
UrbxhO2.png

While the steam discussion for it explodes into hysterics

Grug

The aristocrats are getting restless.

And is it just me, or is Heralds of the Winged Examplar one of the most meaningless word-salad gibberish titles for an RPG ever?

It's like it was created by some joke "RPG name generator" java script web applet. Looking forward to the sequel Grimoire: Legacy of the Chainmail Prophecies in 2037.

Madventure

This is amazing.

I know right?

The "developer" is furiously updating the game because he found a late breaking problem that would destroy the game if it launched with it and he must fix it immediately then resubmit the game to valve so this will take at best "a few hours"

It feels like this one article I read about the one guy who tricked people into thinking he could play soccer for like a decade or two and never actually played a game once because he faked injuries or something like that and kept getting traded up to other sports teams but he eventually got caught.

I think someone just dared him to do this 20 years ago and he's in too deep.

"Oh shit they voted me through on green light, that wasn't supposed to happen"

"Oh shit its the deadline, uh..."
UECrKJ7.gif

Even "bob's game" got released, even though it somehow morphed from an Earthbound-like RPG to a shitty puzzle game, and that only took half the time of Grimoire.

Blu(e)

Good or bad I just want it to be released for this whole thing to be done. Just everything surrounding the game is real crazy and sad at this point.

His indiegogo pitch from 2012 is real painful to watch.

zkylon

zkylewd
5jzeBkW.png

fidel is pretty fucking great, it's really fast and intense and rewarding

sadly i'm awful at videogames and will probably never get good enough at it to see it through the end but i'm enjoying it a lot so far

gotta start taking notes, that always helps

fallout

And is it just me, or is Heralds of the Winged Examplar one of the most meaningless word-salad gibberish titles for an RPG ever?

It's like it was created by some joke "RPG name generator" java script web applet. Looking forward to the sequel Grimoire: Legacy of the Chainmail Prophecies in 2037.
Grimoire: Harbingers of the Forgotten Oracle
Grimoire: Tales of the Emerald Keepers
Grimoire: Thickets of the Forest Grove

Drakhyrr

The key to the Gothic games is to learn how to make the permanent stat boosting potions and use those to strengthen your character. The game is insanely hard though regardless. I had to use all kinds of tricks like kiting the orc at the beginning of the game to fight a guard and then kill him for the xp. Gothic 3 and Risen are a joke. The games never go back to that insane difficulty of Gothic 2. They also never go back to the greatness of Gothic 2 either in my opinion but are very enjoyable in their own right.

I only used most of the available strength raising tricks near the end, when it got to 4 LPs a point, and potions only after it got to 5. The game was a little easier after that point, but fighting a large amount of enemies (which the game does throw at you near the end) still consisted mostly of backstepping for dear life (played one-handed) and hoping they didn't corner or surround me.

Me, I'm fine with the rest of them being easier! Loved the transition from punching bag to demigod in G1, but you never quite reach that level in G2 Gold. And most of the game is punching bag status, for one enemy typer or another!

Grug

Wait, is the dev seriously only testing the final buld on his laptop?

He's in for a surprise shortly after the game launches.

To be fair, he probably started coding it on Windows Millennium Edition.

Those green screens of death are tricky to pin down.

Madventure

Wait, is the dev seriously only testing the final buld on his laptop?

He's in for a surprise shortly after the game launches.

What like when more than one person tries the game and it does something it isn't supposed and he freaks the fuck out because the 20 years he spent squashing every bug in his perfect software suddenly it has tons and tons of bugs and his head explodes

That made me google one to look and see if there was something vaguely similar and Wizards of the coast has a cool one

DND Name Generator

Oh and I apparently found what he used for the name
Fantasy name Generator Books & Tomes

Shenmue 1 was released, then Shenmue 2. For years, people said we would never get Shenmue 3. Many lives were lost in the discussion, many friendships were ruined, many marriages destroyed. And now, we might get Shenmue 3 before Grimoire is ready.

First, for those who have not played Gothic or Risen, a basic explanation about the most peculiar things about Piranha Bytes' games: there is no level scaling, and no enemy respawn. That means two things: the difficulty of the enemies sets the order you do things, and XP is a limited resource (save for a few glitches, but I'd rather not count those).

I'm surprised how this turns out to be quite a big problem for many people who play PB games. PB games are open worlds but they are not level scaled like Skyrim where you can travel in any direction and never face a challenge. Some parts of the map are locked off by difficult enemies until you get better skills and weapons.

I have never gotten a coupon from GMG.

GMG coupons don't work in certain countries so they don't bother to send any to customers there. My country is one of them and maybe yours might be too. In fact, they've completely given up on selling anything here with their ridiculous pricing. For example, this is what the Final Fantasy 9 page looks like for me.

That converts to about 300 US dollars, so... yeah.

Jawmuncher

I'm surprised how this turns out to be quite a big problem for many people who play PB games. PB games are open worlds but they are not level scaled like Skyrim where you can travel in any direction and never face a challenge. Some parts of the map are locked off by difficult enemies until you get better skills and weapons.

GMG coupons don't work in certain countries so they don't bother to send any to customers there. My country is one of them so maybe yours might be too. In fact, they've completely given up on selling anything here with their ridiculous pricing. For example, this is what the Final Fantasy 9 page looks like for me.

I LOVE FF9.
It sure as hell ain't $300 dollars good though.

Sarcasm

GMG coupons don't work in certain countries so they don't bother to send any to customers there. My country is one of them and maybe yours might be too. In fact, they've completely given up on selling anything here with their ridiculous pricing. For example, this is what the Final Fantasy 9 page looks like for me.

Even though I am in Taiwan, it shows me US prices.

Code:
[IMG]https://abload.de/img/ffix3kkd0.png[/IMG]

kagamin

New graphics card ordered! I can probably do a lot more with 6GB of VRAM versus 2GB of VRAM on my current card haha.

Is the excitement about Grimiore because of it's long development time or is there something I'm missing, looks like a pretty basic old school RPG from what I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom