• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Accoun

Why does the Steam version of Quake Champions cost money when I already have the beta for free? I thought the full game would be free as well?

F2P is only via Bethesda launcher right now (if you played the Beta). It will be added to Steam "later", which might as well be at launch.

Nabs

Yakuza 0 just makes too much damn sense. Sega, what are you doing?

Speaking of Sega, Newegg has Sonic Mania for $15 with code EMCRJCE62. I forgot this game was still coming out. I wonder if it'll get delayed once more.

noone picked up Distrust I take it, judging from the lack of impressions?

I got it via a very generous GAFer and played about an hour after work. It's pretty similar to This War of Mine but in a The Thing setting and with with more refined survival mechanics. Can't wait to play some more.

If you like survival games and The Thing, it's a no brainer

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I got it via a very generous GAFer and played about an hour after work. It's pretty similar to This War of Mine but in a The Thing setting and with with more refined survival mechanics. Can't wait to play some more.

If you like survival games and The Thing, it's a no brainer

I loved This War of Mine :eek:

zkylon

zkylewd
Speaking of copyright, do Valve and Bethesda also get sued if modder stole assets?
that's one of the things i think the old system was unprepared for

new system probably has the basic checks so that's not really an issue

to give you an example when i did a game for the beauty and the beast movie and tried to upload it to the app store, apple rejected it cos it was using copyrighted assets. i had to send them like the contracts from disney for them to allow it through. that's cos apple is kind of alright with their review process even if more often than not you have to challenge their rejection and it takes forever and holy shit xcode is the worst fucking shit in the world and whatnot

meanwhile i uploaded the android version on google play and 15 minuts later it was on sale no questions asked lol

Et tu, Zkylon? :'(

Also, I should hasten to add that we don't know how much Bethesda is getting, it just wouldn't surprise me if it were something in the range of 65-75%.
valve has done a lot for indie devs and they deserve gamesales money since they're people that get your game on people's hands but i think 30% is too much

i think 10-90 would be fairer

this is not about valve specifically, same about google play, etc.

itch.io doesn't charge you for selling your game and if you want to support them with a cut of your profits they default to 10% and you can raise it or lower it as much as you want

that seems a lot fairer for me who's been slaving away for years making a game while stores kind of dump my game into a database through an automated process and then put it on sale next to all kinds of garbage

also itch.io doesn't charge me $100

honestly itch.io just rocks

hmm xcom 2 has a free weekend. perfect timing, i was feeling a strategy itch. i loved the first one's combat, but everything else was pretty meh. does xcom 2 improve in those regards?

zkylon

zkylewd
hmm xcom 2 has a free weekend. perfect timing, i was feeling a strategy itch. i loved the first one's combat, but everything else was pretty meh. does xcom 2 improve in those regards?
a little bit, but not significantly so

combat did get a ton of improvements and has a shit ton of variety, so i would recommend it still

it's also good to demo it for free before buying it cos for me it ran like shit

Pixieking

Banned
valve has done a lot for indie devs and they deserve gamesales money since they're people that get your game on people's hands but i think 30% is too much

i think 10-90 would be fairer

this is not about valve specifically, same about google play, etc.

Legit don't want to make a big thing out of this, so I'll just ask if you read Stump's two really informative posts in the Tim Sweeney thread. If not, here's links.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=246777586&postcount=223
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=246801062&postcount=599

I do totally agree with you about itch.io - I seriously think it'll be Steam's real competition if it continues growing and behaving as it has done. :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Earth Space Colonies -- MB-066CCDABC3910768 - Taken by Sarcasm

zkylon

zkylewd
DHLXAnPU0AABOhg.jpg

hmm should i use this for an avatar...

Legit don't want to make a big thing out of this, so I'll just ask if you read Stump's two really informative posts in the Tim Sweeney thread. If not, here's links.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=246777586&postcount=223
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=246801062&postcount=599

I do totally agree with you about itch.io - I seriously think it'll be Steam's real competition if it continues growing and behaving as it has done. :)
i don't really venture outside of this thread and i don't really know what tim sweeney (is that the unreal dude? idk) has to say about it, but reading that doesn't really change my mind that a bigger cut would be fairer

if i read that post correctly that's just saying that the average cut is closer to 20% than people might think, but what it doesn't say is what's that 20% off of. considering that last i checked steam represents the vast majority of pc games sales, i imagine that for outside-of-steam sales to matter they probably come from bundles, which might mean way less moneys for devs than what it sounds like if you just talk about the percentages

valve does a lot of work for sure, but imo devs deserve more money

Pixieking

Banned
i don't really venture outside of this thread and i don't really know what tim sweeney (is that the unreal dude? idk) has to say about it, but reading that doesn't really change my mind that a bigger cut would be fairer

if i read that post correctly that's just saying that the average cut is closer to 20% than people might think, but what it doesn't say is what's that 20% off of. considering that last i checked steam represents the vast majority of pc games sales, i imagine that for outside-of-steam sales to matter they probably come from bundles, which might mean way less moneys for devs than what it sounds like if you just talk about the percentages

valve does a lot of work for sure, but imo devs deserve more money

*shrugs* Like I say, don't want to make a big thing out of it (especially when there's a thread for it). I'll just say that "outside of Steam" sales will include: Humble store, GMG, Nuuvem, Gamersgate, Gamesplanet, Game, Amazon - essentially, every store that sells a Steam key, Valve get nothing.

Anways, I've been told by my wife that I'm a bit too argumentative sometimes, so I'll leave it at that. :D

Link's dead. Any alternatives where I can read the plot?

https://pastebin.com/q9DMFa7c
Destructible environment is a literal game changer, dropping enemies from structures is a very useful tactic. However I'm not sure how much the game's performance has improved, it ran like shit at launch.

I see the Half-Life 3 Thread went south really quickly. I understand people being disappointed and wish it happened (including myself) but some people are going kinda overboard with the hate with Valve.

dex3108

I see the Half-Life 3 Thread went south really quickly. I understand people being disappointed and wish it happened (including myself) but some people are going kinda overboard with the hate with Valve.

Why shouldn't they be? Valve didn't do anything for 10 years without any reason. They had money, talent, everything.

Kudo

I think this is one of the cases where I can understand some of that hate, like some would say, they played us like a damn fiddle!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The only thing for Valve to do in response is to do their own break-down of how Half Life 2: Episode 3 failed to come to fruition, including the dissolution of their love for episodic content and their inability to make Source 2 quickly enough to address what needs would have been required for some of the crazier bits that the story would demand. Screenshots, half-finished map files, pretty much everything that got kept on a hard drive somewhere. Raising the Bar 2: Dropping The Bar.

Or they can just bump up that Steam client overhaul beta to start tomorrow to cover up the very well-earned bad press this is going to generate when everyone wakes up tomorrow.

Wok

In a way, Valve invented episodic gaming before it went mainstream.

The bad thing with episodic gaming is when all the episodes are not released.

FLD

Welp, that's all the closure I needed. It's a super underwhelming way to get it but I can just forget about Half-Life now. I can finally just not care about Valve as a game developer anymore. :)

Hektor

Nice to have something to read at work

Telling the devs to go kill themselfs is a normal, mature reaction about videogames

derFeef

1080 TI and G-Sync monitor on the way to me.
I am pretty stoked to enter the highend game again (I used to budget-constrain my recent purchases, but not anymore...)

zkylon

zkylewd
*shrugs* Like I say, don't want to make a big thing out of it (especially when there's a thread for it). I'll just say that "outside of Steam" sales will include: Humble store, GMG, Nuuvem, Gamersgate, Gamesplanet, Game, Amazon - essentially, every store that sells a Steam key, Valve get nothing.

Anways, I've been told by my wife that I'm a bit too argumentative sometimes, so I'll leave it at that. :D
idk, i'm a game dev, i can sympathize with valve to a point but i look out for myself first and i think we could get a better deal and valve can afford it

i also see 200 games released in a week and worry a lot how my tiny game will be able to sell anything

derFeef

No budget constraint, huh. Did you happen to buy ASUS 4K HDR IPS 144Hz G-Sync monitor?

Nah I am waiting for those 35" AOC curved HDR monitors that will come out next year. For now it's jsut a gsync upgrade to my existing monitor - so like the next model (27" ASUS IPS). But my 4K TV will benefit frm this as well ;)

Secret of Mana might have been leaked for PS4/Vita. If it's on Unity, I really hope SE dont mess up and release that on Steam.

They should really invest in a version of Unity that removes the "Compile for Windows" button so they can stop worrying about accidentally pushing it some day and financially ruining the company.

I feel like I dodged a bullet by not playing Half Life games at all.

To be fair, Half-Life was never a continuity-happy series, and the HL3 blog post only clarifies that Valve had no grand plan.

That and the way they originally set up Episodes was to make HL an annual series.

If Valve still cared about Half-Life, we would currently be on Hal-Life: Episode XV.

Jadax

Why shouldn't they be? Valve didn't do anything for 10 years without any reason. They had money, talent, everything.

Oh right, so Valve owes us a game?

I would have preferred HL3 over Artifact too, but at this point there is so much hype for it that no matter how good it's going to be, it'll never reach levels everyone wants. In such a case I can totally see Valve never releasing it, especially since they have multiple other popular games.

Ascheroth

1) Clustertruck continues to be amazing. I'm at the last level of the 3rd world.

2) HumbleBundle reminded me that I still needed to play through DreadOut Act 2, which I did. Mostly. I'm stuck at the final boss :/ I've read that there is a glitch that can make him unbeatable or something? Need to try again today, and otherwise I'll just leave it be.

Anyway, game is really creepy and definitely worth the 1$. It's rough around the edges, glitchy and some puzzles are annoying, but the atmosphere and creepiness are great.

Looking forward to trying out the Keepers of the Dark DLC.

dex3108

Oh right, so Valve owes us a game?

I would have preferred HL3 over Artifact too, but at this point there is so much hype for it that no matter how good it's going to be, it'll never reach levels everyone wants. In such a case I can totally see Valve never releasing it, especially since they have multiple other popular games.

Yes they owed us Episode 3 that they announced and never cancelled.

Secret of Mana with that chibi 3D model. Not sure if I'm that excited.

Why though? You're missing out on some really great games.

To be fair, Half-Life was never a continuity-happy series, and the HL3 blog post only clarifies that Valve had no grand plan.

That and the way they originally set up Episodes was to make HL an annual series.

If Valve still cared about Half-Life, we would currently be on Hal-Life: Episode XV.

I hate cliffhangers in any entertainment medium. And this one has the most depressing future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom