• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadblob

Oh hell yeah I'm getting in on this.
I'm certain this will change valve's mind
I rarely use reviews seriously unless it's for smaller indies
#partoftheproblem

cxy0u8s.png

Was it always allowed to review games without playing them?

dex3108

All Valve games become overwhelmingly negative.

All PC gamers and media scorch Gaben with questions at every event he does going forward indefinitely. The community backlash continues growing to unprecedented heights.

One day Gabe gets tired of all the shit and destroys Steam servers.

???

Profit

giphy.gif

There fixed.

I mean if you go so loose with it MGSV is an RPG too and basically any open world game as of late.
I personally never understood why Zelda was ever put into the RPG category by fans to begin with. Especially when it's the only title where people try to pose it off as such for whatever reason.
Obviously the only criteria isn't just leveling up. But such comments just start to get into the whole splitting of hairs "Oh well you gain levels so that means it's an RPG".

You can have RPG mechanics and not be an RPG and vice versa is how I see it.
Zelda games are action adventure. Just because they're set in a fantasy setting doesn't make them an RPG.
It's why i'd disagree about Horizon being and RPG and that has more going for that label than Zelda does.

that wasn't what i meant though. for the record, i don't think the zelda games are rpg's, even though i think breath of the wild checks almost all (highly subjective) when-should-a-game-be-considered-an-rpg boxes.

but i was specifically wondering why you (and many others, at least on gaf) think zelda 2 is an rpg, but somehow the others aren't... the only thing zelda 2 has, that other zelda games don't, is a (mind you, very shallow and basic) level up system.

dex3108

I finished DmC today. I enjoyed playing that game and story wasn't that bad. i mean twist at the
end
was lame but overall it was ok. Level design was ranging from awesome to average but gameplay was ok. I was kinda bored a bit near the end but that was my fault because i almost didn't bothered to learn new moves. All in all DmC is good hack&slash game n my opinion and if you like that genre and you haven't played it yet i think that you will enjoy it.

I fucking despise R* games, but MP3 really is one of the best third-person shooters. Is GTAV even remotely like it? I'd be willing to put up with the typical R* bullshit if that's the case.

No, GTA5 doesn't have garbage ass unskippable cutscenes every time you step forward.

Is that what you meant?

Madventure

Review bombing made a hUUuuUUUuge impact on their financials for Rockstar with GTA 5 and that whole "Modding fiasco" I mean they only counted it as one of their most profitable months ever.

My take on it was that It was mostly just people who never bothered doing a review in the first place, and then when they went "Oh okay we'll actually make sure single player mods are fine." Most of those brigade reviews? Those people were too lazy to change or remove them.

The whole review system in general is stupid it consists of some person makes a funny one that gets glued to the top, then a useful one maybe, GAM IS KNOT GUD VRY BAD with 10 minutes of play time, then someone with 2k hours saying "Its alright" with 200 funny button clicks on it

It's barely above youtube comments at this point

Javier23

Banned
you mean there are games with plot twists in the
beginning
??
Plenty? At different points of the game, at that. And it happens in books and movies too. There's even games with multiple plot twists happening at different points of the narrative. I mean, it's nothing new?

Jawmuncher

that wasn't what i meant though. for the record, i don't think the zelda games are rpg's, even though i think breath of the wild checks almost all (highly subjective) when-should-a-game-be-considered-an-rpg boxes.

but i was specifically wondering why you (and many others, at least on gaf) think zelda 2 is an rpg, but somehow the others aren't... the only thing zelda 2 has, that other zelda games don't, is a (mind you, very shallow and basic) level up system.

Oh. Well in that case I guess it would just be looking at the time period the game came out in. These days yeah the RPG aspect of Zelda 2 is pretty minuscule but when it came out it fit more in line with being an RPG.

AHA-Lambda

The twist is still at the end, it's just so predictable that you figure it out in 5 minutes

no it's not, it's at the end. sure, it's painfully obvious unless you really had to be sleeping throughout the story, but the confirmation is still near the end

unless i'm forgetting another twist, getting
betrayed by al mualim
was later in the game

Actually I meant the
joker
stuff xD

The entire Animus framing device?

Wasn't that revealed pre release though?

jtb

Banned
It was so weird how hard Ubisoft tried hiding the Animus bs in the OG Assassin's Creed, and then Kirsten Bell (?) accidentally spilled the beans in an interview or something. And then it's there from the opening five minutes.

also Max Payne 3's very existence will haunt me to the end of my days. why. why did it have to be so. :(

The death of Half Life is all the fault of Yanis Varoufakis, ex finance minister of Greece.
He once was hired by Valve to advice them on all things regarding the Team Fortress 2 economy and analyze it.

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/economics/arbitrage-and-equilibrium-in-the-team-fortress-2-economy/

if there's one country with an economy worth emulating, it's Greece

Tizoc

Your PC is probably too powerful, play in a crappy laptop like me and it won't crash.

That reminds me what was your FPS like? 60 FPS consistent? Was it among the very few AAA-like games that didn't ran trash on your rig ;P

I just got a crossbow
This game just became 200% more awesome
It starts slow but I am liking the rwards I am getting.

That reminds me what was your FPS like? 60 FPS consistent? Was it among the very few AAA-like games that didn't ran trash on your rig ;P

I just got a crossbow
This game just became 200% more awesome
It starts slow but I am liking the rwards I am getting.
It runs ok on my rig, got some screen tearing but I'm used to it by now...
And yeah, great game, enemies are a bit too bullet spongier but I like it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Got a spare one

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Boss Doggie, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Little Farm -- MB-86133A5768F8F532 - Taken by voodooray

jtb

Banned
Speaking of MP3...

How's Quantum Break? I'm guessing it's like 5 hours long, going off of Remedy's track record?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
So, RotTR has higher textures on xb1x compared to PC?

Guess PC gaming really is dying. It was nice knowing you guys 😭

/s ofc

How's Quantum Break? I'm guessing it's like 5 hours long, going off of Remedy's track record?

I liked it. The TV sections are...kind of bad (I ended up skipping most of them and just going for a recap) but the game itself is pretty good, and very "Remedy". Steam says I played it for 11 hours, which might include some pause time. Around 9-10 hours sounds about right to me -- I took my time with it, though. It'll be longer if you actually watch the 20-30 minute TV "episodes".

As a Remedy fan I enjoyed it, although it certainly felt weaker than Alan Wake or Max Payne. It's definitely worth a shot if you liked Remedy's previous work.

So, RotTR has higher textures on xb1x compared to PC?

Guess PC gaming really is dying. It was nice knowing you guys 😭

/s ofc

The sad thing is someone will make the same statement and will actually be serious. I'm totally not going to the gaming side when November rolls around. The amount of gloating, toxic and idiotic fanboyism that is going to go on over there when comparisons start coming out will make my head spin.

Also the Danganronpa V3 Demo was really fun. Definitely a step up graphics wise from 1 and 2. Ran pretty well at 4K/60, only thing is the reticle was a little weird in that it wanted to center on the screen a few times and made it somewhat hard to shoot truth bullets at times but was fine 98% of the time. The minigames were also pretty interesting and hope they never get as bad as 2 got at times. The sound mixing was straight up garbage though. The music would start drowning voices out and would lower and raise at strange intervals. The music was so great though that I didn't care enough to change it in the menus.

Wok

I find that the best period was the time during which Varoufakis was a Valve employee.

Everything went downhill after Varoufakis left, with these crappy non-tradeable, time-exclusive Dota 2 hats.

Jawmuncher

Beat the Danganronpa demo. Not bad. Some new tweaks while being more of the same. I have no intention of playing D3 though until I watch the anime and play Despair girls though. Also going by the earlier comment I had about the designs. I do agree now with Hektor that characters do "look" different. But eh reusing of faces is getting really confusing. I'm starting to feel like I have Prosopagnosia when playing the Danganronpa games.

I do see that Despair Girls is on sale right now....But I think i'll wait. I want it for more that 15-16 range.

cyba89

Company puts out new games they want to do and people love.

Spoiled brats whine it's not the one they wanted. Rather of had the same old franchise continued.

Valve has been 100x times more interesting every time a new IP has come from them.

But the best Valve games are Portal 2 and Half Life 2 Ep2.

I don't even know what new IP are you talking about. Their last new one was Alien Swarm wasn't it?

Company puts out new games they want to do and people love.

Spoiled brats whine it's not the one they wanted. Rather of had the same old franchise continued.

Valve has been 100x times more interesting every time a new IP has come from them.

As annoying as it is i don't think it's going to hurt the game in the long run as the game already had a bunch of negative reviews that were basically just jokes. Let the people vent.
It's better than sending death threats...
I'm looking forward to their new card(/board?) game. I hope they can shake up the genre by introducing a more wallet friendly model like they did with DOTA 2 by giving us all the heroes for free.
If it does however end up using a predatory model i'll probably still play it but i won't be buying anything.

Jawmuncher

The biggest issue with Valve and people wanting Half Life 3 is they're in the perfect spot to do it. They have tons of money and could literally get anyone on board to work for them. Hell unless they somehow made a monstrosity of a budgeted game they'd more than likely make a profit too.

Valve and Half-Life is in the exact opposite spectrum than say capcom. Who has only so much money and resources thus having to spread themselves thin and unable to really do the things people want from them. Valve could do all of that and more. They're just stingy as hell. They're riding their gambling style service until new laws make them think of something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom