• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest issue with Valve and people wanting Half Life 3 is they're in the perfect spot to do it. They have tons of money and could literally get anyone on board to work for them. Hell unless they somehow made a monstrosity of a budgeted game they'd more than likely make a profit too.

Valve and Half-Life is in the exact opposite spectrum than say capcom. Who has only so much money and resources thus having to spread themselves thin and unable to really do the things people want from them. Valve could do all of that and more. They're just stingy as hell. They're riding their gambling style service until new laws make them think of something else.

We all know which Capcom franchise you're talking about, and by "people," you mean "I."

Maybe they can collaborate and make Dino Half-Crisis.

Lain

The biggest issue with Valve and people wanting Half Life 3 is they're in the perfect spot to do it. They have tons of money and could literally get anyone on board to work for them. Hell unless they somehow made a monstrosity of a budgeted game they'd more than likely make a profit too.

Valve and Half-Life is in the exact opposite spectrum than say capcom. Who has only so much money and resources thus having to spread themselves thin and unable to really do the things people want from them. Valve could do all of that and more. They're just stingy as hell. They're riding their gambling style service until new laws make them think of something else.

You say this as if Half Life fans as well as developers would be fine with whatever shit gets put out with the name Half Life slapped on top of it.

Valve's release cycle is usually something revolutionary to them. An example would be Left 4 Dead. Left 4 Dead was released with a pretty large improvement to the Source engine. Currently Valve is interested in VR technologies and Source 2.

Jawmuncher

We all know which Capcom franchise you're talking about, and by "people," you mean "I."

Maybe they can collaborate and make Dino Half-Crisis.

jvsIqgz.gif

You say this as if Half Life fans as well as developers would be fine with whatever shit gets put out with the name Half Life slapped on top of it.

I mean that's true. They couldn't put out garbage. But I don't think a followup to Half-Life 2 is the impossibility they claim. With such notions no good game should get a sequel.

Valve's release cycle is usually something revolutionary to them. An example would be Left 4 Dead. Left 4 Dead was released with a pretty large improvement to the Source engine. Currently Valve is interested in VR technologies and Source 2.

Hopefully they do more with Source 2 soon.

cyba89

This is such a common narrative about Valve I just don't understand (and it's also a really poor excuse to hold a game back for 10+ years).

I wouldn't count improvements on an old engine "revolutional".
What were the big technological revolutions that came with Left4Dead 2, The Orange Box, Portal 2, DOTA2 or CS:GO?

I also don't see in what new technology is Valve really commited right now. I feel like we've been hearing about Source 2 since forever and the only thing that materialized out of it is a Dota update over a year ago I think?

I'm sure there are quite a few very talented teams out there that could make a good Half Life game, like Arkane or Respawn.
Developing a good shooter is no witchcraft and as we just learned developing a fitting continuation of the story was not the problem. Laidlaw was very willing to write this story.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
The DF threads are embarrassing on here. I used to like the channel too, but now I cringe when I see a new video just knowing what the thread will be like.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I also don't see in what new technology is Valve really commited right now. I feel like we've been hearing about Source 2 since forever and the only thing that materialized out of it is a Dota update over a year ago I think?

Some (most?) of Valve's VR stuff is Source 2-powered as well, most notably the ApSci VR demo and SteamVR Home, and speaking of engine changes, CS:GO will also be moved to Source 2 at some point (emphasis on "some point", haha).

I don't really care about HL3. The episodes really didn't do anything for me.

I mean I would still play it but I don't feel cheated or anything by its absence.

Hektor

White Day: A Labyrinth Named School got a loooooooot of negative reviews.

Literally all of them are korean however. What's up with that?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What's with all "PUBG GOTY" threads??
I am kinda confused.

it's an extremely well liked game that is days away from being the most played game on steam and is easily the most popular streaming game, all with no advertising budget and growing organically with word of mouth.

oni-link

I just noticed this is the 3 year anniversary of my GAF account

4,913 posts and 377 threads, what a ride

4,913 isn't even that many when you look at a lot of posters, but if the average post is even 20 words (and for me anyway, most of my posts are well over that on average) then that is 98,260 words

That's longer than many novels, and if we assume the average post is even 50 words that pushes the word count to 245,650 words

In conclusion, I spend a lot of time here (and enjoy statistics, this post is 123 words long)

I've only been posting in Steam GAF for a few months though, but what a merry lot you are

Volimar

What's with all "PUBG GOTY" threads??
I am kinda confused.

In its defense it seems to be much better than the other battle royale games out there. It's not my cup of tea, but I can see why multiplayer fans enjoy it. I'd get so pissed at getting killed for the 50th time just after finally getting a decent loadout.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
White Day: A Labyrinth Named School got a loooooooot of negative reviews.

Literally all of them are korean however. What's up with that?

The reason all the English reviews are positive and all the Korean reviews are negative is basically gaming 'culture' in a very distilled form.

The English reviews are positive as most have never played White Day before, and it's a good horror game with a good amount of content and some legitmately scary bits. Most had never heard of it before, or heard of it but never played it, and like it. There were some bugs but they have very quickly patched and fixed many of them already. It's a pretty good and challenging horror game with some interesting design that stands out for many as it's different than many first-person horror games and has some fun old-school design elements you don't see too often these days.

The Korean reviews are from a very different place. In Korea, White Day was a very successful mobile game after the original 2001 PC game bombed. In Korea, White Day is literally the second top-selling paid mobile game of all time, it's become pretty popular there. The PC/PS4 version had delays and it released with a few bugs, and though they've been fixing them quickly Koreans are ragging they had to wait longer for this game due to a few delays and it still released with bugs. Also the Steam release is set to USD rather than the Korean Won, and though it has new content from the mobile version and various updates it's 4x more expensive for them than the mobile release to match the USD price, so many are whining about the price. Also because the game is popular over there, it also has attracted Korean trolls and complaining about pandering the game to dumb American audiences, along with some purists viewpoints of the original vs the remake.

Madventure

Pretty sure they've cemented the next "Ugh Moba" "Ugh open world Survival" "Ugh MMO" with "Ugh Battle Royale" as everyone clamors to be the next Player Unknown for the forseeable future of shitty grab bag of game type as they hop on the bandwagon

I just noticed this is the 3 year anniversary of my GAF account

4,913 posts and 377 threads, what a ride

4,913 isn't even that many when you look at a lot of posters, but if the average post is even 20 words (and for me anyway, most of my posts are well over that on average) then that is 98,260 words

That's longer than many novels, and if we assume the average post is even 50 words that pushes the word count to 245,650 words

In conclusion, I spend a lot of time here (and enjoy statistics, this post is 123 words long)

I've only been posting in Steam GAF for a few months though, but what a merry lot you are
That's a lot of threads! One every, what, 3 days?

Knurek

Pretty sure they've cemented the next "Ugh Moba" "Ugh open world Survival" "Ugh MMO" with "Ugh Battle Royale" as everyone clamors to be the next Player Unknown for the forseeable future of shitty grab bag of game type as they hop on the bandwagon

Can't wait for Gearbox's Battleborn 2: Born to Battle and Cliffy Bleszinky's Lawbreakers 2: The Royal Break.

I just noticed three of those require multiplayer, and open world survival can be multiplayer-oriented. There are only so many multiplayer games that one person can play, and enough competition will create a whole bunch of losses. Is the possible short-term gain of a multiplayer game going up against a huge force like PUBG really that much more attractive than making a single-player game that doesn't live or die by a fickle fanbase?

Volimar

Preorder our Early Access Immersive visceral open world battle royale MMO moba with rogue-like elements and RPG style leveling system. With loot boxes. And crafting. And microtransactions.

Hektor

The reason all the English reviews are positive and all the Korean reviews are negative is basically gaming 'culture' in a very distilled form.

The English reviews are positive as most have never played White Day before, and it's a good horror game with a good amount of content and some legitmately scary bits. Most had never heard of it before, or heard of it but never played it, and like it. There were some bugs but they have very quickly patched and fixed many of them already. It's a pretty good and challenging horror game with some interesting design that stands out for many as it's different than many first-person horror games and has some fun old-school design elements you don't see too often these days.

The Korean reviews are from a very different place. In Korea, White Day was a very successful mobile game after the original 2001 PC game bombed. In Korea, White Day is literally the second top-selling paid mobile game of all time, it's become pretty popular there. The PC/PS4 version had delays and it released with a few bugs, and though they've been fixing them quickly Koreans are ragging they had to wait longer for this game due to a few delays and it still released with bugs. Also the Steam release is set to USD rather than the Korean Won, and though it has new content from the mobile version and various updates it's 4x more expensive for them than the mobile release to match the USD price, so many are whining about the price. Also because the game is popular over there, it also has attracted Korean trolls and complaining about pandering the game to dumb American audiences, along with some purists viewpoints of the original vs the remake.

Didn't knew the game was popular as i never even heard of the game prior to this remake.

Anyhow, thanks for the explanation!

Madventure

I just noticed three of those require multiplayer, and open world survival can be multiplayer-oriented. There are only so many multiplayer games that one person can play, and enough competition will create a whole bunch of losses. Is the possible short-term gain of a multiplayer game going up against a huge force like PUBG really that much more attractive than making a single-player game that doesn't live or die by a fickle fanbase?

The thing is at the start of PUBG I was real hesitant to jump in because a lot of them were basically eating their own playerbases because of that exact thing most of them are pretty much doing that.
They jump from the old to the latest and greatest, I play Rust a lot and people switched to and From Hurtworld, Ark, Conan, DayZ, H1Z1, etc
There was a Battle Royal game called The Culling which everyone seemingly loved for like 1-2 months since it did a lot of things "Better" than H1Z1s Battle Royale stuff and then it just went to straight shit, that's what me and my friends thought might happen to PUBG so we waited on it.

AHA-Lambda

Well see every failed MMO, MOBA, CoD clone, card game, survival open world crafting game etc, to see that the industry loves to chase trends no matter what.

Parsnip

That's us, most of the time.

Got curious and looked at my stats, nothing too interesting there.
While I've technically been a member since February 2010, I actually only posted the first time just a little over 4 years ago. My posts per day average is pretty low I guess.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Anno 1800? :eek:

somehow I completely missed a new Anno announcement.

cyba89

In its defense it seems to be much better than the other battle royale games out there. It's not my cup of tea, but I can see why multiplayer fans enjoy it.

I'm not really a multiplayer fan, am usually averse to any Early Access game because I had a very bad experience with the one game I bought (Wreckfest) and never had any interest in all these flavour-of-the-week early access survival hits on Steam (DayZ, H1Z1, ARK, Rust, ...) but still have much fun with pubg.

It won't be my Goty though. On PC alone there is stuff like What Remains Of Edith Finch and Nier Automata that impressed me more this year.

The thing is at the start of PUBG I was real hesitant to jump in because a lot of them were basically eating their own playerbases because of that exact thing most of them are pretty much doing that.
They jump from the old to the latest and greatest, I play Rust a lot and people switched to and From Hurtworld, Ark, Conan, DayZ, H1Z1, etc
There was a Battle Royal game called The Culling which everyone seemingly loved for like 1-2 months since it did a lot of things "Better" than H1Z1s Battle Royale stuff and then it just went to straight shit, that's what me and my friends thought might happen to PUBG so we waited on it.

That's what I noticed too. I feel like there's only certain numbers of playerbase on Steam especially for early access/multiplayer games. These people jump from one game to another, clutching to the newest ones.

I remember my days in mmo world, I did a lot of that as well. I had a huge local community that jumped around games every few months. Also, I always met the same nicknames in most games I played, because we basically did the same thing.

what is the point of review bombing a f2p game? like who is it gonna deter from playing the game?

Nobody, but it makes the review bomber feel good. (Mind you, sometimes it does seem to create action, as with GTA V.) In this case, I sincerely doubt Valve is going to create a Half-Life 3 merely because their other products have slightly lower reviews.

Grief.exe

Mainstream gaming's relationship with Valve vis-a-vis Half Life is strange.

From my point of view, they've been clear whenever asked about why they're not moving forward with the franchise. It's unfortunate that I don't get to play through the conclusion, but I'm not going to denigrate valve for not moving forward on something they aren't 100% invested in.

It's understandable to be disappointed in Valve to a degree, but many of the reactions I see are just absurd.

The DF threads are embarrassing on here. I used to like the channel too, but now I cringe when I see a new video just knowing what the thread will be like.

Oof.

Gaming side GAF is an embarrassment technically, not a place for compelling conversation.

I know it's a very old game and the genre came a long way, but man, am I having fun with Wolfenstein 3D. I'm still in the early levels, but I'm already impressed by how well the game works (I played Doom back in the day, but this is my first time playing Wolf3D). Those ID guys were really, really good.

oni-link

Yeah Valve could easily keep a few AAA series' going, releasing a new title every 3/4 years, and do what they're doing now, and probably make as much if not more than they are already

They used to make groundbreaking games with groundbreaking tech, and they still could, but they just don't want to, and that is what annoys people

If Rockstar came out and said GTA6 is just going to be GTAO2 and they would just update it forever and sell you DLC and single player was gone, people would be just as upset

Edit: In the late 90s/early 2000s they were one of the best at pushing games forward artistically and narratively, whereas now they're happy to run and shop and profit of some of the more insidious trends in the industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom