• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

Damn, I'm so tired of hearing about 4k

Which 4K are you tired of hearing about?

Is it the real Native 4K?

Or is it 4K mode that dynamically checkerboards and upscales the resolution to 4K while providing HDR to smooth and make the pixels brighter?

ModBot said:
Instructions for Chairmanchuck:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot within the last 3 months to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Dragonia -- MB-ED34EBC294077001 - Taken by bobnowhere
Super Star -- MB-0F495531C09AFDC4 - Taken by FeedMeAStrayCat

Let the animu begin.

df8.jpg

Being Deep Silver these keys probably won't work in Germany, Brazil, Russia or even Asia.

ModBot said:
Instructions for bobnowhere:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Homefront -- MB-0B5E1CD295E407F2 - Taken by Zeeman
Killer is Dead - Nightmare Edition -- MB-F5F141D2A8669D09 - Taken by longlivegaming
Secret Files: Tunguska -- MB-5D686CF25FF3D3F5 - Taken by voodooray

Phawx

If there is anyone that has beat The Witness and still has their save file. Could you toss it to me please?

I only got 1080p monitors a few years ago. I don't even have a 1080p TV (not that I need one). I'm so not ready for 4K.

My PC is already starting to chug. Played a bit of the Surge yesterday and kept getting drops.

Aaron D.

Reminds me of "Well. People dont need 1080p, 720p is enough" from most of console gamers last gen.

Nah, the best was Nintendo Warriors downplaying HD console gaming when 360 landed back in '05.

"Wii doesn't need HD. The tech is too new and the world isn't ready for it yet!"

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I only got 1080p monitors a few years ago. I don't even have a 1080p TV (not that I need one). I'm so not ready for 4K.

My PC is already starting to chug. Played a bit of the Surge yesterday and kept getting drops.

I genuinely couldn't care less about 4k. Care more about HDR.

My G-Sync monitor is 1080p too, and I'm happy with that

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Meanwhile I'm just sitting over here indescribably happy to have finally upgraded from dual core, 4GB RAM, integrated graphics to quad core, 8GB RAM, HD 6570 after five years. :lol

Finally, I can play 2014 games at high settings!

Almost thought about not going for the humble monthly this time but then I remembered I spent 20 dollars on a gmg loot pack that had nothing but 5 cent shovelware so I've made far worse choices.

I play the Witcher 3 at 4k/60 on my TV sometimes. It's nice.

Most of the time I play on my gsync 1440p/144hz monitor. I usually prefer 1440 with the higher framerate for most games. Easier to use mouse and keyboard with the monitor too.

I genuinely couldn't care less about 4k. Care more about HDR.

My G-Sync monitor is 1080p too, and I'm happy with that

I've never actually seen HDR in person so I don't know much about it. I get that it's basically "more colour" but it's impossible to judge without seeing it.

I'd go to an electronics store but I'd guess they would want me to buy the TV after seeing it and I would probably do it out of guilt.

I only have two 1080p/60hz monitors right now. Only have a 970 so can't push stuff much further anyway.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I've never actually seen HDR in person so I don't know much about it. I get that it's basically "more colour" but it's impossible to judge without seeing it.

I'd go to an electronics store but I'd guess they would want me to buy the TV after seeing it and I would probably do it out of guilt.

I only have two 1080p/60hz monitors right now. Only have a 970 so can't push stuff much further anyway.

Literally the only HDR device I own is my Samsung S8+ lol, I downloaded the gamerhyde forza 7 4k hdr video to watch on there and was blown away

So much more colorful

Considering console games are barely even reaching that. 1080p is all you need unless you have some crazy high end graphics card
Go to the low quality screenshot thread to see all you need, I want all the pixels!

I like 144hz for general browsing/scrolling but very rarely utilize it for gaming. If I'm hitting at least 60 I crank up the resolution or go to my 4k tv because it's such a massive boost in iq and 60 still feels great. Gsync is a wonder tho, so sad it'll probably never be in tv's. Great for newer games.

Parsnip

If only consoles were more about the framerates and not about them pixels, that I could get behind. 60+ fps for everyone!

The steam controller is great and I use it a ton while comfycouchgaming™ but I really wish they'd come out with an updated model that doesn't look and feel like a Fisher price toy.

Monooboe

I've realized that I probably going to need two monitors for my future desktop computer, a 1080p gsync for games and a 4K 100% Adobe RGB for work. That way I don't need a super GPU for games. Also been think about 21:9 for games and 27 for work.

OR! One of those new 144hz 4K HDR gsync screens that also have 100% Adobe RGB, that will probably cost around 2000.XD

Jawmuncher

Any tips for the PUBG when you end up in the top 10? I keep getting there and dying because the match becomes a sniper zone in an open field and I can't think of much to do when I usually just end up with an AR and a 2x scope.

We'll know in about 40 minutes what the next Humble Bundle monthly will be.
Allegedly a game titled "Quiet City" is the Humble Original for this month. Game was developed by @increpare/Stephen Lavelle.

Wok

We'll know in about 40 minutes what the next Humble Bundle monthly will be.
Allegedly a game titled "Quiet City" is the Humble Original for this month. Game was developed by @increpare/Stephen Lavelle.

Where do you people get all these leaks?

Edit:

VTPy1qV.png

gelf

Same. My monitor is 1080p and my TV is still a mere 720p and I can't say I really worry about that either. Trying to get higher resolution would just mean my framerate would tank even more and the kind of system I'd need for both doesn't feel worth it.

Grief.exe

I've realized that I probably going to need two monitors for my future desktop computer, a 1080p gsync for games and a 4K 100% Adobe RGB for work. That way I don't need a super GPU for games. Also been think about 21:9 for games and 27 for work.

OR! One of those new 144hz 4K HDR gsync screens that also have 100% Adobe RGB, that will probably cost around 2000.XD

You can always checkerboard, similarly to the console implementation.

Any tips for the PUBG when you end up in the top 10? I keep getting there and dying because the match becomes a sniper zone in an open field and I can't think of much to do when I usually just end up with an AR and a 2x scope.
Letthemfight.gif

Really though, I let others kill themselves and then hop in closer to like 5 people.

Monooboe

Come on monthly! I hope there is a "whoa" surprise in there.

You can always checkerboard, similarly to the console implementation.

True, though I am ways of from building a new desktop, so I'm sure the dream monitor and 4K being the norm for games by then.

It's been a while since I subbed to the monthly, I'm feeling it this month though, they should have an easy time of getting me to buy in.

Amzin

There's tons of tips from players better than me available, but position and terrain knowledge is pretty much the most important factor in the final 2 circles. This is slightly less true in dedicated 1st person matches though, but in 3rd person it really often is whoever has the best position wins.

For truly open areas there's not a ton you can do aside from waiting as long as possible for everyone to pin each other down. Usually, if you don't know where anyone is, you want to wait in the best cover near the edge of the blue zone and only move in when you have to and have a better idea of where your threats are and where would be best to stop next.

ARs can beat Snipers as long as you don't let them land the first shot on you. Easier said than done of course :p Just playing a bunch and guessing how people will react to a certain situation is good too. My first win was because enemy and I were both in tiny circle behind vehicles next to other small cover, his was only a dacia though and mine was a UAZ so I knew when his Dacia started to smoke he'd need to make a break or risk dying to random explosion.

Recoil control and aim are super important for last 10 too, if you want warmup/practice, drop at the hotzones like School or Military and just go nuts. You die often and fast but you get some decent practice.

Wok

Kind of surprised it's not SSR

SSR should be included in November/December, I would say.

Assessing the odds of Stephen's Sausage Roll (SSR) to appear in the next monthly bundle was the actual reason for my little data pooling. Given that SSR was tier 3 in a humble bundle mid-May this year, I would not expect to see this game appear in a monthly bundle before November/December. So, I guess the best value to pay for this game to finish it before the Winter sales should be right now during the Summer sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom