• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started up Evil Within and played a few hours of it. The beginning of the game starts off pretty rough with instant kills all over the place, and the game is still pretty bad about that 6 or so chapters in. It took me a bit to get used to the combat approach, but I've started to get a groove on things and it's gotten pretty fun in-between moments of retrying due to repeat instant deaths.

This game kind of feels like what RE4 would be if it had opted for more standard third person shooter controls, which is to say not as good. With free motion it seems like the way the game tries to add tension to encounters is by making you play as the most out of shape person in the world with a lung capacity of 3 seconds to start with, beating out the likes of Alan Wake (although he was a writer, I could forgive his lack of athleticism) and even an asthmatic potato like me. With the free range movement, this also changes how enemies approach you, they stagger less, and in this game's analogue of Salvador, is just a complete sponge. So, stuff like that isn't so great. In RE4 when I'm in the starting village, I still feel the tension in being surrounded by Ganados and hearing the chainsaw of Salvador getting closer and closer. In this game when the chainsaw fellow comes at you it's more annoying when you shotgun blast him in the face to have him shrug it off and lop your head off anyway, restart.

But between those annoyances, I'm finding the general pacing and combat of the game pretty fun. Tonally this comes off as more of Mikami's take on a Silent Hill kind of psychological horror rather than the zombie/monster action that RE was known for, but since it's a Mikami game it's just all ham and cheese and hard to take seriously. It has some cool effects and environments though, and I love the save room.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
TVL2KMF.jpg

Vaxxer and a fan of FF Spirits Within...hmm.

MUnited83

For you.
Dragon Quest Builders 2 is multi PS4/Switch, and has multiplayer. Won't surprise me if it gets announced for PC when they announce it for the west.

iosefe

You know who else worked on a game for a very long time?

The Duke Nukem Forever devs

Gotta applaud not giving up though

bbd23

okay well I unplugged everything and plugged it back in (ram, gpu, hard drives) and booted up windows said something about installing drives for my keyboard of all things and just played overwatch and everything was fine

fuckin PC's.

hopefully it isn't just a temporary thing :p

Madventure

okay well I unplugged everything and plugged it back in (ram, gpu, hard drives) and booted up windows said something about installing drives for my keyboard of all things and just played overwatch and everything was fine

fuckin PC's.

hopefully it isn't just a temporary thing :p

Well you can always give it a good cleaning
M0TpgaC.gif

OJ7gLde.gif

Kingsoul
, I assume? I've got half at the moment, but not enough essence to go for the second part just yet. Thanks for the heads-up, as while I've read a bit ahead, I didn't know about potentially
losing it
- I assume that's what differentiates between the 'good' and 'bad' endings.

Yeah, that's it. You'll have to lose it eventually, but only to get the final ending. It's useful for almost everything before then.

eh, I still think the port of the first one will be released in in two months :p

I think we can forget about the first DQB. World of FF on the other hand... But yeah, it become harder to predict SE since we dont have steamdb leaks anymore.
I mean, if it wasnt for SteamDB, FFX HD would've been unveiled 1 or 2 weeks before its release.

MUnited83

For you.
I think we can forget about the first DQB. World of FF on the other hand... But yeah, it become harder to predict SE since we dont have steamdb leaks anymore.
I mean, if it wasnt for SteamDB, FFX HD would've been unveiled 1 or 2 weeks before its release.

I'm still firmly in the camp of "It's a 1 year timed exclusive", just like FFX

Deques

What's wrong with The Spirit Within? I liked it, it felt stupid and not Final Fantasy, but I still liked it

The CG was great for it's time. No other CG movie were great at that time

zkylon

zkylewd
second post-game didn't start quite as strong

i really enjoyed how the first post-game gave you a bunch of easy missions to get reacquainted, second post game gives you statbag versions of the same old enemies

after spending 25 minutes on a mission and dying for the third time in a row to those bullshit one hit kill hitboxes i'm pretty irritated with it

like god eater works when it's grindy but you still manage to win, it's not fun to spend all that time just to lose

also they also start you off with basically joke "animal" costumes which really pisses me off since costumes are like the only upgrade system in this game that is actually fun

no picture cos no new costume

fuck this game sometimes man

Not sure how I feel about Dishonored 2 yet. I feel like I should be liking it more than I do. Levels run too long for nonlethals.

Apparently I was a shit ruler.

Phinor

I really liked Kingsglaive.

I guess I'm the really weird one because I tolerated Spirits Within, liked Advent Children and quite enjoyed Kingsglaive. What makes it weird is that I don't really like any of the games. I played FF7 back when it was released and it was a good game at the time but I've tried going back and I don't enjoy it at all, nor any of the other games I've tried over the years.

When I can find a Switch I intend to do the same. But also Mario Kart, ARMS, and BotW. Odyssey and the like too if it takes me that long to find one. It'll be alright squiddo.

I've played ARMS. It's okay but not worth buying, IMO. Not now, at least. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is good. Just buy Splatoon 2 and MK8 DX for the moment.

Wok

I have played the Flash prototype of the game The Last Night which was created in 6 days in 2014, and I don't really get the hype which the 2018 game benefited from during E³. Sure, the game is beautiful, mostly due to the light effects, but the gameplay consists in pressing "right arrow" to move to the right of the screen, and occasionally pressing "space + T" to shoot at robots and people. It is a "cinematographic platformer", so... literally no gameplay. It is weird how much attention the game got, only based on a trailer with light effects and different layers.

Amzin

Canceled my ME: Shadow of War pre-order with the announcement of that shop nonsense. I enjoyed the first game plenty and was looking forward to this but if they're going to be desperate greedlords about an already $60+ game, I'll just wait until it's $5 this time.

Maybe I'll put that money towards Far Cry 5 instead as long as that pans out alright, haven't played any Far Cry (besides Blood Dragon) before.

dex3108

Canceled my ME: Shadow of War pre-order with the announcement of that shop nonsense. I enjoyed the first game plenty and was looking forward to this but if they're going to be desperate greedlords about an already $60+ game, I'll just wait until it's $5 this time.

Maybe I'll put that money towards Far Cry 5 instead as long as that pans out alright, haven't played any Far Cry (besides Blood Dragon) before.

I will get Shadow of War same way i got Shadow of Mordor, GOTY Edition for 5$ XD

Grug

I still can't get enough of Hollow Knight. Have been playing it pretty much exclusively since the sale.

It's one of the real special games.

Deques

I started playing Batman Arkham Origins and like the previous games I seem to never get good fighting flow. Getting high combo counter seems to be impossible to me. It always resets for me and I never understood the takedown moves.

Can someone explain how the fighting mechanics actually works?

Lain

I have played the Flash prototype of the game The Last Night which was created in 6 days in 2014, and I don't really get the hype which the 2018 game benefited from during E³. Sure, the game is beautiful, mostly due to the light effects, but the gameplay consists in pressing "right arrow" to move to the right of the screen, and occasionally pressing "space + T" to shoot at robots and people. It is a "cinematographic platformer", so... literally no gameplay. It is weird how much attention the game got, only based on a trailer with light effects and different layers.

Because pretty lights and the promise of a cyberpunk world are enticing.

The gator dev was enough for me to make a 180 on the game though.

Because pretty lights and the promise of a cyberpunk world are enticing.

The gator dev was enough for me to make a 180 on the game though.

100% agree with you.

Reading Wok's impressions make me happy that it seems I won't be missing out on much by skipping it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom