• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

I didn't just play it, I played like 70 hours of it and 100% completed it.

giphy.gif

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Best Witcher 3 mods?

That enter the devils pit seems decent, does the follower fight alongside you?

My mom isn't that much of a gamer but over the past two weeks I saw her play through Life is Strange. Are there any good story-like games you guys could suggest? I was thinking of recommending Wolf Among Us to her but I personally haven't played that game yet. Sam & Max was something that she wanted to play but the lack of native support for controller is sort of a let down. I'm not exactly sure if the game is playable with only a controller.

Kentucky Route Zero, though the remaining act isn't out.

I *think* I have a key if you don't have the game. I'll have to check when I get back home in a day or two.

Knurek

Best Witcher 3 mods?

modFriendlyHUD/UI
There was also one that allowed you fast travel from any location, but it may not work with current version of the game.

Also, if you're playing with a gamepad, setup macros to fire up different signs without having to go to the menu.

Mivey

Best Witcher 3 mods?

There is one that brings the camera closer to Geralt. (This one, I think)
It needs a bit of tinkering, but I felt it made the whole game more immersive, giving a better impression how things look from Geralt's perspective without going full first person. It allows different camera options in different situations, so you can still have the normal camera options during combat, where understandably a more zoomed out view makes total sense.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I wanted to do an FF6 replay. I own FF6 on... SNES (US), SFC (JP), Wii Virtual Console, PSX, GBA, and Steam. I figured I was going to do a 100% run with the bonus post-game content, which limits me to GBA and Steam. I also didn't want to Vanish-cheese the game or play with broken Evade/Accuracy/Sketch, so again limited to modern versions. I don't have a GBA in the country with me. I could download the ROM of course, and I have no ethical objection to literally downloading a ROM of a game I own on a platform I own it on because I don't have it with me (I also know the GBA music is bad so I would have to use the fan patch that fixes the music), but I figured I'd check out the new port.

Pretty immediately, I noticed the major issues with the port:
1. The visuals are blurry and not designed for a PC screen. You can get a patch to solve this, so I did that immediately.

2. The character sprites are aggressively ugly. It's not just the shading or colouring, it's that every man has a giant gut and breasts. Totally bizarre. It's weird, because the enemy sprites and background tiles look fine and most of the mode7 stuff looks great. Big fan of what they were trying to do, but the characters are ugly. And the worst part is that it's not just laziness--they actually hired back the original character designer to specifically design the new sprites and update them. That's what makes the misfire so baffling. They could have more easily done better. They expended resources to make the game worse.. You can get a patch to reduce the gut and breasts, but you're still left with these ugly looking characters. I would rate this as a minor problem in the grand scheme of things.

3. The UI/UX is really, really bad. When you're in a battle, you can't easily see an enemy name. Toggling between enemies and the party, between one target and many targets, and just generally interacting is very confusing and not designed for a controller. There's a permanent auto-battle toggle on screen. There's a permanent sprint shoes icon on screen if you wear them. There's no auto-dash, removing a quality of life improvement from the GBA. Switching the menu style to the slightly less unbearable style means the menu UI takes up too much of the screen (some bosses are actually cut off by the menu). Menus don't line up with each other properly. Targeting enemies in a vertical line requires you to move the cursor horizontally. The menu popups are huge and cover the battle rather than UI. You can't see ATB progress in the less ugly design. Text is a mishmash of styles and positions. Item sorting is pseudo-random and you can never find the relic you want. Selling items is a chore. It's difficult to tell whether you should buy equipment or not. The menus are drab. Tutorial text uses the default keyboard key binds and does not explain the equivalent controller bind. There's only 5 save files. The minimap on the world map has three options: Off, small and in a bad position, and taking over the entire screen in a bad position. There's no speed-up option. Battle speed is still incorrectly described in the menu. character name entry is baffling, abilities are not laid out in a way that makes sense. "Quick" doesn't have a proper UI so menus don't make sense when you use "Quick".

4. There are several minor visual issues. The sepiatone flashback filter is bright yellow, incorrectly. Another flashback uses a slightly different greyscale filter which is OK. A few scenes which are supposed to have semi-transluscent clouds going over the maps, the cloud opacity is wrong and it's very visually distracting. The airship is substantially slower than before and turns slowly as well. The 3D models of towns and stuff on the world map are actually repulsive. A few late-game abilities have really weird ugly art, especially the Flare Star attack/rage.

5. You can no longer manipulate the Veldt in any way and it's infuriating.

I will say one positive thing:
1. The mobile UI for blitz entry makes it easier to figure out if you've done a blitz properly.

I think other than the UI, you can mostly handle the game once you've done a deblur patch and a remove-guts-and-boobs patch. The sprites are worse, but whatever. The rest is managable, if irritating. If I play the game again, it won't be the Steam version, for sure. The achievements also aren't very interesting at all. I don't think I'll ever do another 100% Gau rages / 100% Bestiary run again, and certainly I'll never grind the desperation attacks again. I like the Dragon's Den but not the Soul Shrine as far as post-game content goes. So it's hard to say if the post-game content adds all that much.

In contrast to FF10, which I think is clearly best on Steam, I would probably recommend the GBA port of FF6.

Is there any way to force Steam Overlay to work in some old games? Not DOSBox games, some titles from early 00s, for example Runaway 1-2, Lost Planet DX10, Tomb Raider Legend, random casual puzzle games... Is it possible to fix this issue manually? Why exactly steam overlay could refuse to work in some games?
I know nobody answered on my question, but 30 pages later i did some research on this topic and found something. For some dumb reason, games like Tomb Raider Legend have disabled steam overlay on purpose. There is around 100 games on Steam that currently have "disableoverlay" launch argument - https://steamdb.info/search/?a=app_keynames&type=1&keyname=91&operator=1&keyvalue= Yeah, i know, some publishers reasons for doing this "due to compatibility concerns", but i still sure that this is bullshit, because Tomb Raider Anniversary works perfectly fine with steam overlay, Legend and Underworld have same engine, Anniversary released between them, and they both works fine with overlay when added as non-steam games. I thought i found the way to disable this damned "disableoverlay" option locally by changing appinfo.vdf file in Steam folder, but apparently Valve recently updated Steam and now it always checking this file and redownloading it again if there any manual changes detected. There is still hope, i found this software - http://steamedit.tg-software.com/ It allows you to change game name and fix controller support option for Big Picture, so i contacted developer to find out is it possible to change everything else. I'm still waiting for answer from him, so i'll ask here again - is there anyone who knows how to mod Steam client and can help force it to enable overlay in games?

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Best Witcher 3 mods?

Some suggestions. I dont know which of them work with the current version though.

The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project
All NPC Scabbards
All Quest Objectives On Map
Colored Map Markers
Wealthy Vendors with Fair Sale
Lore-friendly Witcher
Better Trophies
Jump in Shallow Water
No Fall Damage
Immersive Cam

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of low-G, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 15 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (low-G, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
DmC: Devil May Cry -- MB-E3DD651C5894F06A - Taken by PaulSane. 9 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
SPINTIRES -- MB-AB0A84DE0A39E558 - Taken by Vlad. 14 entrants total.
3DMark Advanced Edition -- MB-0B95F89734A10C54 - Taken by data. 5 entrants total.
Binary Domain -- MB-B91FCB9DAE3FF1A7 - Taken by oni-link. 5 entrants total.
Curious Expedition -- MB-2EE9354BD00655BF - Taken by rainking187. 18 entrants total.
Curses 'N Chaos -- MB-7C78A651FD90ECFC - Taken by Large Professor. 13 entrants total.
Galak-Z -- MB-2EBE2DDE408E090F - Taken by Vastag. 3 entrants total.
Gunpoint -- MB-8A8D81C6FECEA67D - Taken by lazerfox. 2 entrants total.
Hacknet -- MB-10DB6CF13F1741FA - Taken by Zeeman. 5 entrants total.
N Plus Plus (NPLUSPLUS) -- MB-A19A0727BDA31B25 - Taken by TheGreenArrow. 27 entrants total.
Pony Island -- MB-FAAB4AAF5F0BB300 - Taken by Dusk Golem. 5 entrants total.
RIVE -- MB-7993C2DB61B5A5B2 - Taken by dot. 9 entrants total.
STRIDER -- MB-1617BAD994FBD242 - Taken by MissChief. 2 entrants total.
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic -- MB-26631C8F93B94726 - Taken by Annubis. 1 entrants total.
The Deadly Tower of Monsters -- MB-36DD4071F1F7972E - Taken by Purkake4. 5 entrants total.

t1501968636z1.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

It's anime and trash -- MB-B637E028708AD48C - Taken by purseowner
It's anime and trash #2 -- MB-B0D029D2D8D852EF - Taken by KainXVIII

Wok

Thanks homie. I MIGHT get it by tomorrow, but if you've played it, mind providing impressions of the game please?

The protagonist is a dog named Fidel which has to rescue its mistress, who is an old lady, captured by a dragon. In order to reach the dragon, Fidel has to find the exit of each of the 16 floors of the dungeon. At each floor, there are monsters, health potions, gold, and additional items in later levels. Gold allows to buy one-use super-powers. Every time you kill a monster, you earn a bit of experience, and might lose a bit of health. You cannot just try to reach the exit straight away, because you would end up under-leveled in later levels. So you end up trying to get the most experience and gold out of each level, by killing as many monsters as you can. The catch is Fidel is on a leash and the leash cannot cross itself, so you have to optimize your path with this constraint in mind. You can always undo your move, however, if you make one mistake and lose all your health, Fidel becomes a ghost, and is chased by a bigger ghost. If the bigger ghost catches Fidel, it is game over. There is a good variety of monsters, which reward/punish Fidel differently based on the way Fidel kills them. There are bosses, such as an alien spaceship, a mechanical dog, and the dragon. There is a good amount of secrets and mechanics, which makes the game a bit similar to Spelunky. After you are done with the 16 levels, there are harder levels with new mechanics. I have not beaten this NewGame+ yet. It is a pretty nice game for short daily playsessions.

Kentucky Route Zero, though the remaining act isn't out.

I *think* I have a key if you don't have the game. I'll have to check when I get back home in a day or two.

This totally looks like a title that I'd play + she would play. If you don't have a key that's fine 'n dandy. I added it to my wishlist. Looks like its all time low was $12.49 during a sale. Could always look around on the BST thread to see if anyone has any keys laying around too.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The Final Stantion first hour or so is absolutely fantastic, havent had such a strong first impression of a game in a long time

iosefe

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

It's anime and trash -- MB-B637E028708AD48C
It's anime and trash #2 -- MB-B0D029D2D8D852EF

what is this anime trash?

This totally looks like a title that I'd play + she would play. If you don't have a key that's fine 'n dandy. I added it to my wishlist. Looks like its all time low was $12.49 during a sale. Could always look around on the BST thread to see if anyone has any keys laying around too.

I'll send you a PM with the key I had from Humble.

It may or may not work. Normally, I don't hit redeem (or it doesn't let me hit redeem) games that I already have. And I definitely already had this at the time. So, I don't know.

If it's already redeemed, no harm / no foul.

Madventure

Online sales Summer is never ending yet in the real world, "Oh look Halloween costumes are for sale and so is candy along with decorations"

illusionary

Beaten Hollow Knight. 33 hours, 78% completion, neutral ending.

The game lived up to my expectations and then some - it really is fantastic, up there with Zelda and Horizon: Zero Dawn as one of my top three games of the year so far. I was surprised how relatively easy the fight with
the Hollow Knight
was, but I know that that's because
there's another fight to come.
. I can't leave it there, though - I'm back in to see how close I can get to that full 100%, though having just been thoroughly bested by
the Fallen Champion
I'm not sure that I'll manage to get all the way there. I think I'll definitely need the last nail upgrade before I put much more effort toward that fight!

Durante

The resillience against Turbmods is incredibly stupid.

There have been a handful people here on GAF complaining about how that would make FFXII easier and how they might as well put in a press A to win button
If the difficulty in a game came from having to watch it play out non-interactively for hours, then it wasn't difficult (or a good game) in the first place.

Luckily, the Trails games are pretty damn good, so that's not an issue.

Any Idea guys what could be causing this kind of stuttering in Watch Dogs 2 (not my video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7EGaPlA0EI , only seems to happen once the level loads in or after fast travel but not sure what could be doing it :(

Gtx 980 / i7 5820k 4.0ghz / 16gb ram

Are you on a HDD or SSD? And have you tried messing with the settings, seeing if you can track down a high usage setting? I know the fog setting is super demanding.

Are you on a HDD or SSD? And have you tried messing with the settings, seeing if you can track down a high usage setting? I know the fog setting is super demanding.

It seems to do it even with most settings off / high, I'm on a normal hdd 7200rpm 2tb. Its strange the game runs perfect after a stutter or 2 but it comes back after an hr or so then goes away again. Its strange though I beat the game before and only came back to play the dlc and dont remember it doing that before

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It seems to do it even with most settings off / high, I'm on a normal hdd 7200rpm 2tb. Its strange the game runs perfect after a stutter or 2 but it comes back after an hr or so then goes away again. Its strange though I beat the game before and only came back to play the dlc and dont remember it doing that before

I would highly recommend not playing any video games off a mechanical hard drive.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I know nobody answered on my question, but 30 pages later i did some research on this topic and found something. For some dumb reason, games like Tomb Raider Legend have disabled steam overlay on purpose. There is around 100 games on Steam that currently have "disableoverlay" launch argument - https://steamdb.info/search/?a=app_keynames&type=1&keyname=91&operator=1&keyvalue= Yeah, i know, some publishers reasons for doing this "due to compatibility concerns", but i still sure that this is bullshit, because Tomb Raider Anniversary works perfectly fine with steam overlay, Legend and Underworld have same engine, Anniversary released between them, and they both works fine with overlay when added as non-steam games. I thought i found the way to disable this damned "disableoverlay" option locally by changing appinfo.vdf file in Steam folder, but apparently Valve recently updated Steam and now it always checking this file and redownloading it again if there any manual changes detected. There is still hope, i found this software - http://steamedit.tg-software.com/ It allows you to change game name and fix controller support option for Big Picture, so i contacted developer to find out is it possible to change everything else. I'm still waiting for answer from him, so i'll ask here again - is there anyone who knows how to mod Steam client and can help force it to enable overlay in games?

Doesn't seem to be. I even tried overriding the value of the flag via the app manifest file (not that I was expecting success). It was possible to get away with editing appinfo.vdf provided you replaced characters rather than removed them so that the file size wouldn't change (e.g. disableoverlay -> dasableoverlay), but, as you've noticed, Steam's a little smarter these days.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
lolol I love how you quit Nongunz. That was worth installing and playing for a bit.

I liked that aswell. The game... I'm not so sure.

Anyway, anyone played The Final Station? Game is blowing me away, im wondering if there is a crafting system at some point? I notice some items I scavange are green instead of white and dont have a money value. Also, some of it is gunpowder, which one would assume you could use to craft much needed ammo.

edit: oops theres a crafting system from the start lol, just noticed it >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom