• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.
ICYMI: I bought a Switch to play Splatoon 2.

I'm not proud of myself at the moment.

Splatoon 2 is really fun to play but it also has a ton of bad design choices that just slowly wear you down. At least that's what happened for me. Between the bullshit with the app (which is region locked for me), the inability to play with friends easily, parts of the game being unavailable at times, the networking issues (connection errors, low tick rate) and people just generally playing it badly (so many ink spawn at the start that it feels like the game is decided within the first minute depending on which team has more of those people)... it gets really tiresome to try enjoy the game.

I don't mean to sound like a downer because the game is really fun when it's working right but these persistent issues just keep hindering the experience. I'm going to put the game down for a while.

On the bright side, Breath of the Wild is absolutely brilliant.

Rizzi

I bought Trails of Cold Steel, but I'm already knee deep in Final Fantasy XII and Tactics.
The backlog grows ever higher.

I bought Trails of Cold Steel, but I'm already knee deep in Final Fantasy XII and Tactics.
The backlog grows ever higher.

I bought Cold Steel on Steam but I'm midway through my Vita save for it for over a year ago, trying to get into Dragon Quest XI, but keep getting suckered back to Persona 5. And I have an endless stream of Steam games I'll never get to.

I think I have even more of a problem. :p

zkylon

zkylewd
CTOATGd.png

the lack of new costumes is really fucking bad

it really breaks the reward loop in a way that actually makes the game seriously shit for me. it's like honestly pretty fucking annoying and it might be the last straw

like this game is a quintessential skinner box game in the way it handed rewards by the dozens during the early game and now it's a rare commodity to see something new. it's always the same garbage with a new color, new enemies, new weapons and new abilities are just higher numbers iterations of the previous versions, for most of the game outside of the first few chapters this has held 100% true

i consider this to be really terrible design, it's addictive but really shallow and uninteresting. i've spent 40 hours on this game doing probably the same thing over and over and over again

there's two things that kept that fresh tho. one's the story, which was always really bad and since finishing the main story has been pushed further and further to the background, to the point this new arc has a lot of jrpg style dialogue box conversations instead of cutscenes

the key one for me tho, were the costumes. you got a bunch of new outfits every 10 or so levels, so that meant that after you fought a series of difficult fights you'd actually get to see something entirely new. it's nothing important gameplay wise, but the game has so much faux customization that a tiny bit of real customization goes a long way, and i enjoy games with good customization (did i mention i like league of legends???) so having those new outfits to look forward to actually meant a lot

i never liked diablo or loot games or any kind, i get bored really easy of doing the same task over and over just to get numbers to go up, so this was the carrot in the stick for me, and seeing they just ditched it just bums me out

tried to look for multiplayer games just to see if i could spice it up that way, but i couldn't find a single party, so i guess the game's online is dead?

i think it's about time i stop playing this terrible timewaster and go back to the number of actually good games i should be playing instead like hollow knight or something. i enjoyed it for a while, and then played it way past what i should, mostly because lately these days i'm too sick/tired/both to focus on a real game, but i gotta take that first step sometime

tho tbh something tells me i might be doing another one of these posts in a day or two hehe

thanks for bearing with me, it's been fun !

Everyone, buy Pyre.
i will when it's a bit cheaper

i like supergiant but i hated transistor so will wait to save me some monnies

it's not like tacoma that i just want to blindly give those people money cos gone home was so great

i will buy it at some point tho, it looks rad

it's always the same garbage with a new color, new enemies, new weapons and new abilities are just higher numbers iterations of the previous versions, for most of the game outside of the first few chapters this has held 100% true

Thats sadly true for most MH clone games. Said this about God Eater 1, but its true for Freedom Wars, Toukiden, Soul Sacrifice (kinda) etc.

Havent started God Eater 2 and Toukiden 2, so I dont know if its true for them too.

Lanrutcon

Thats sadly true for most MH clone games. Said this about God Eater 1, but its true for Freedom Wars, Toukiden, Soul Sacrifice (kinda) etc.

Havent started God Eater 2 and Toukiden 2, so I dont know if its true for them too.

Toukiden 2 has a lot of armor, with recolored versions as "end game" versions. Same with weapons. There's are a LOT of models, but people tend to look at stats before visuals.

Enemies also follow the same pattern as MH games: recolored end game versions with higher numbers, but also new attacks and a lot more aggression.

What kept Toukiden 2 fun for me was the open world elements and the NPC companions.

AHA-Lambda

Seems like Dies irae will not be my third game with 100+ hours of playtime.
Midway through the final chapter of final route, and the game just topped 89 hours.
I wish Masada Takashi had a good editor... Dies irae's verbal diarrhoea is even worse than most other VNs I've played.

And yet the VN thread insisted that Dies Irae was only ~50 hours when I questioned it.
Suuuure...

giphy.gif

People still use Antivirus software?

Uh, why wouldn't you? :/

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah that's too bad

i think this game has big issues besides the linear progression that really bring down whatever good is in it

i can't really think of many positives about the game cos all the individual good parts have to be contextualized by being repeated verbatim a million times and that just makes them tedious and grindy and dull

not sure if monster hunter is like this also, i really would like a game where you fight giant beasts in multi-tiered sections, that involve chasing and trapping and preparation and all that. that all sounds awesome

Uh, why wouldn't you? :/
personally i stopped using antivirus a couple years ago

not really needed if you don't click on the ads of the shady sites you visit

which are probably blocked by ur adblocker anyways

Still unsure about it. Enjoyed Bastion, but not Transistor.

i will when it's a bit cheaper

i like supergiant but i hated transistor so will wait to save me some monnies

it's not like tacoma that i just want to blindly give those people money cos gone home was so great

i will buy it at some point tho, it looks rad
What's wrong with Transistor? I thought its ability permutations and planning system gave it a lot more depth than Bastion's endless clicking.

Ladekabel

I didn't get into Transistor but that might be because I tried it on an iPad.

I tried Slime Rancher. Game has a sweet look but that's it.

kurahador

Abit of a rant. So, I decided to play abit of Paladins after enduring Overwatch competitive abuse all week. 2 of my teammates both sounding like an 8 years old or younger were bickering all game calling each other all manner of slurs an swears available.

This is the first time I've ever realized maybe I'm too old for this shit (I'm 32).

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I love Paladins. Play it on PS4 with my friends sometimes in party chat, so never hear the children.

I thought Bastion was really boring. Maybe I should try Transistor, since it looks like everyone who likes Bastion hates Transistor and vice-versa.

Knurek

And yet the VN thread insisted that Dies Irae was only ~50 hours when I questioned it.
Suuuure...

giphy.gif
I'm not even sure what you could do to shave the platine below 80 hours. Skiping the bonus episodes would not be enough... I guess maybe, maybe if you'd just ignore the voice acting.

Is The Last Remnant any good?

It's that one JRPG that I forget exists and has been sitting untouched in my Steam library for years.

Is The Last Remnant any good?

It's that one JRPG that I forget exists and has been sitting untouched in my Steam library for years.

Yes, definitely. It's got one of the coolest turn-based combat systems out there with probably the best presentation of them all, excepting maybe XCOM or Divinity: Original Sin.

Just know that it has a weird kind of scaling mechanic, where you'll want to chain your battles together as much as possible (it will make sense once you're playing) to maximise your gains per-battle. It's been a while, but I think that's the gist of how it works; it's there to encourage you to battle smart, rather than just grind.

Tonton

Dragon Quest Builders 2 is multi PS4/Switch, and has multiplayer. Won't surprise me if it gets announced for PC when they announce it for the west.
Definitely not happening

Dragon Quest 1,2 and 3 are getting a release on PS4, I really hope for a PC release too.
Were all of those localized? I'm not too familiar with DQ
Kinda doubt it either way

also apparently the Card Battler one DQ Rivals has PC confirmed
I imagine that'll stay Japan only like the MMO

I expect DQXI for Steam, and nothing more.

That said, they do have a habit of dumping their mobile ports of classic games on Steam, so we'll see.
And yet they haven't bothered with any of the multiple mobile Dragon Quest releases

I wouldn't be surprised if DQH1/2 is all we ever get on Steam

Definitely not happening

Were all of those localized? I'm not too familiar with DQ
Kinda doubt it either way

I imagine that'll stay Japan only like the MMO

And yet they haven't bothered with any of the multiple mobile Dragon Quest releases

I wouldn't be surprised if DQH1/2 is all we ever get on Steam

DQ releases on iOS/Android were stuck on portrait mode. That might be the reason why it didnt happen. Or maybe because they planned to bring to other platforms later.

Annubis

Yes, definitely. It's got one of the coolest turn-based combat systems out there with probably the best presentation of them all, excepting maybe XCOM or Divinity: Original Sin.

Just know that it has a weird kind of scaling mechanic, where you'll want to chain your battles together as much as possible (it will make sense once you're playing) to maximise your gains per-battle. It's been a while, but I think that's the gist of how it works; it's there to encourage you to battle smart, rather than just grind.

But then you end up grinding for materials to upgrade weapons ;)

TLR is pretty good but I would suggest using a trainer to manually fix some of the randomness of the game (example: there's over a dozen classes for you main character and which you get is pretty much random)
I recommend this: http://enceler.github.io/tlrplanner/

Tonton

DQ releases on iOS/Android were stuck on portrait mode. That might be the reason why it didnt happen. Or maybe because they planned to bring to other platforms later.
They were games originally on landscape mode and ported to portrait, I don't see how they couldn't do the other way around for a PC release
Although that's probably asking too much for SE and PC :')

They were games originally on landscape mode and ported to portrait, I don't see how they couldn't do the other way around for a PC release
Although that's probably asking too much for SE and PC :')

For the same reason these games weren't released on consoles yet.

Telltale account, not steam. Also wrong icon.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

faviconuvuwz.png
The Walking Dead: New Frontier (telltale) -- MB-675B34E044D818F0 - Taken by purseowner

dex3108

There really isn't any badly voiced/acted character in Mafia 3. That is something you don't see every day in video game.

Waiting until Little Nightmares goes for a little bit cheaper. Heard the game was really short and not even worth the $20. I noticed that there was a sale going on Humble Bundle.

AHA-Lambda

K I've not been keeping up with this at all but what's the story with PUBG and it's crates?

What are the ones worth money, and how to get them?

Jawmuncher

K I've not been keeping up with this at all but what's the story with PUBG and it's crates?

What are the ones worth money, and how to get them?
Twitch Prime crate is worth like 30 if you had twitch prime in the past and added it to your account.

The most expensive crate is the one for preordering the game. But you won't have that.

After that Gamescom crates are currently around 3 bucks each

I forget the value of the other two. But these last three can all be bought in game with BP that you get from finishing matches. The prices on said crates drop back down every week.

Nabs

Wuppo is really good. People are selling it for a dollar or less in the BST.

PUBG is basically a money maker for all of us.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
What's the longest you've had steam credit just lying there in your account?

I've got about £40 lying there, but no games I fancy atm

EDIT: Weird how South Park is stated as having Denuvo, but not AC: Origins? Both Ubisoft games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom