• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.
I beat FC 13 months ago and still haven't played SC even though I owned it before I beat FC. AMA.

I liked it but it's a daunting task to undertake. These games are long.

Tell me about it: I began my FC playthrough in 2015!

It was a slow start, because in the beginning I felt like the story was really slow and going nowhere. However, I decided to keep playing, so I would play it for a day or two, then stop for a month or two, then I would play for a day or two...

Around 2016 I began to realize that, yes, the story was pretty slow, but those characters... I started to really like them, they were way more interesting and entertaining than the characters of other JRPGs I had played.

Also, the slow progression has a side-effect: you really get to know the places you visit. You spend so much time in the city, talking to people and doing bracers quests, that you slowly learn the story of each region. I suddenly realized that, even though not much had happened in the way of the main plot, a lot had happened to those characters and I had learned a lot about their world. That's when I realized the game was something very special.

sadblob

Why is the first TitS game referenced as FC? There's no words that start with F or C in the title?

First Chapter (because 2 and 3 have SC and TC in their names). I remember a blog post about XSEED's intention to officialy change TitS to TitS FC in Steam and GOG.

Edit: 3 has 3rd, not TC.

Nzyme32

I bet most people didn't even know there was a Dota event going on. They just saw the headlines "Valve announces new game" (looking at you Eurogamer) or "Valve announces dota card game", hell I think the thread title was initially "Valve announces Artifact" and then reacted to it. Not going to blame them one bit.

Really? Well that makes more sense. I didn't check the internet since after watching TI last night - even though I've not played dota in a long time. I just thought this was a relatively small announcement. Went to work and went out after and only now got round to using the web and looked at GAF haha

Dr.Acula

Banned
I've been playing Mankind Divided and it's pretty good! I really like the hub and the non-linear structure to the side missions.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Released a small little experimental game of mine called "Close Me" for $0.99 USD.

Thought I'd mention it to you guys as out now, it's a smaller little thing but I hope those who give it a whirl and enter the depths enjoy it.

Little crude style as I usually do that looks like this:
ss_1a353d50597e1e0b46d7738dba5bb25908284adc.600x338.jpg
ss_097f1f472a66c7b2c32ed85e5755e8034077399f.600x338.jpg
ss_6f86f0f903e8a5dc96c0b50e4e1debc69ae6b51f.600x338.jpg

Phinor

Anyone ever have issues with the 10% discount for Humble store you get with monthly subscription?

I've tried it with multiple games now and the discount shows up in the store, it shows up in cart but when I go to Paypal, the discount is no longer applied.

Lain

Valve threads in a nutshell

Looks like the quality posts I expect out of general threads involving Valve and/or Steam on proper gaming side.

Good to have a date! End of August though =(

I was just comenting on its base price still being the same as release. Thats not as low as Im willing to go on that game, 75% or bust.

Even waiting 75% off is too generous. Wait for a bundle.

Nabs

Anyone ever have issues with the 10% discount for Humble store you get with monthly subscription?

I've tried it with multiple games now and the discount shows up in the store, it shows up in cart but when I go to Paypal, the discount is no longer applied.

I just tried it and had the same problem. I usually just check out with cc, so I never ran into that problem.

Phinor

I just tried it and had the same problem. I usually just check out with cc, so I never ran into that problem.

Ahh, credit card works, thanks. I usually just click Paypal everywhere because I don't have to fill in any details, just few clicks and it's done.

oni-link

Been a while since I've played, but I found a pretty easy way to cheese it if you can deal with the towers. Equip the Shamrock with a machine gun. First turn, set up two machine gunners to the side of the tank so that if the machine gunner in the middle attacks, the Shamrock and the other machine gunner will attack. Then once you deal with the towers every turn, just shoot the boss with the middle machine gunner (and by proxy, the Shamrock and other machine gunner) until it dies.

Hopefully that helps, it's been a really long time since I played that game.

Thanks, I'll try that next time I play

I threw myself at the last mission for the last hour and didn't get anywhere

The towers are pissing me off, sometimes they need 1 shot/hit to die, and sometimes 2, and sometimes I just can't damage one with one weapon type for some reason

It's so lame he's always regenerating his HP too

Parsnip

Currently Hellblades is playing 4.6K players and that is almost exactly twice more players than LawBreakers. But to be honest i am surprised that LawBreakers is at 19K sold copies now. That is not much but i thought that it will be less.

It's a bit weird to even compare the two to be honest.
Is it just that they cost the same, and that's why?

It's a bit weird to even compare the two to be honest.
Is it just that they cost the same, and that's why?

Release date and price, I guess, yeah (also that usually, a game like LawBreakers would have a better shot at selling well than something like Hellblade)

So, first impressions on Lost Technology, that weird RTS/Visual Novel mix that just hit Steam.

You start by choosing a faction, and that's when the visual novel stuff kicks in. There is a lengthy introduction telling the story of your faction and hero, with that lovely japanese style. The art is great and thankfully the translation is good, no "Engrish" here. It's a lot to read and you can skip the whole thing if you want to, but there was enough variety in backgrounds and character art to keep me interested.

When the VN stuff ends, you see the region map. You can see all of the areas and the factions that rule them. That's the management stage, where you recruit units and move them. There's a "diplomacy" option, I haven't tried it yet. When management is done, you click the "end" button to end your turn.

When other factions battle among themselves, you're presented with a window where combat is quickly resolved. However, you can enable an option to watch every single battle if you want to.

If you decide to attack an area populated with enemy units, combat starts. My first battle was against some weird frogs in a swamp.

You can select your units by clicking each unit, dragging the mouse around a group of them or using special buttons to select all troops of a certain type. When your troops find the enemy, they engage in combat. If you have archers, they'll stay behind firing their arrows. Yes, it's real time, you can pause the action by pressing the space bar.

You can see there are many icons with bows and stuff on the left side. Those are the abilities available for your selected units. You can block your archers from using certain abilities by right-clicking the corresponding icon, or order your mages to use fire spells by left-clicking the fire spell icon, for example.

I haven't played much, so it's early to tell how good the game is, but aside from a weird interface, it looks fun. Oh, nice music, by the way.

Dec

I've been playing Mankind Divided and it's pretty good! I really like the hub and the non-linear structure to the side missions.

It's a great video game. Tons of content and it's all quite good, even if the story is weak there is not much that is alike.

yuraya

Nah beta was separate app and it had like 400K owners.

Dang that is a lot of people. And that first beta happened b4 they announced its gonna be a 30$ game. They should have just stuck with their guns and kept it f2p so that it accumulates a bigger community. Probably would have made more $ off regular microtransactions long term than they will the way it is now.

jtb

Banned
I feel bad waiting so long to buy Prey because this game is philosophically everything Mankind Divided should have been.

zkylon

zkylewd
Cat Quest is charming. This game is developped by 3 people (2 men and 1 woman) from Singapore: https://youtu.be/IMwo3pG79Fk

looks nice

The one announced for PC, Dragon Quest..Rivals I think it was called is actually gonna be a card game.
ehh, think i'll pass

Sounds like a winter sale game, which I believe is how I picked up Gone Home as well.
yeah i mean, i don't think length and pricing necessarily correlate but i think this game is not ambitious enough to last 2 hours

I liked it but I admit I can't find much fault here.

It's a big step down from gone home, and chief amongst its problems for me is that it's too short.

The plot is interesting I found but the game isntvgiven the chance to properly develop the characters or the world. And then within the last 10 mins the revelations come and things are wrapped up all too neatly and quickly.

yeah i think it's really telling that a few minutes when it ended my thoughts were like "ok we're out of the prologue, now the real game begins"

really disappointing

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah i know it's my fault

how long are those sessions? i like the idea of routinely playing a little bit every day, that makes the whole thing a little bit more interesting

Tizoc

yeah i know it's my fault

how long are those sessions? i like the idea of routinely playing a little bit every day, that makes the whole thing a little bit more interesting

Each Session (being a chapter) is under an hour long approximately.

Mivey

Durante just added Autosaves to Cold Steel. It's currently in public beta.
That's such a useful feature in TitS, for example when I accidentally enter the guild, thereby advancing the story before finishing my NPC sweep. And many other things. Great work :A

people that say i hate every game could not be any wronger
You play through the garbage that is God Eater, but don't even give the second best adventure game a passing chance? Your bad taste of games offends me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom