• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platy

Boom
qVdYZvS.jpg

Praise Crom!

Holy Hyborian Godness !

Thanks for the giveaway =O

MadGear

It's such a shame but what I have played of chapter 2 in MGSV so far has been mostly disappointing. The mission design is questionable at best, I end up completing the new episodes in a very short amount of time with little to no effort.
I'm also not a fan of these "needle in a haystack" type mandatory side ops ... well, at least that's what they are in my case. I spent an embarrassing long time trying to find one of the objectives because I expected him to be in some kind of secure containment (because that's were I would keep him but the Russians and Snake obviously don't think that's necessary). Only after capturing the entire outpost and aimlessly running around in it for minutes I finally found him just lying on the ground in plain sight. Oops :)

Vlad

I've been having the urge to build and create things. Is there anything on Steam that is like minecraft but more advance?

If you're looking for more stuff on the mechanical side, Factorio and Infinifactory can scratch that itch to a certain extent. Factorio is 2d, though, and Infinifactory is a level-based puzzler, but they both are based around a sandboxy approach to problem solving.

I've been having the urge to build and create things. Is there anything on Steam that is like minecraft but more advance?

3D or 2D? More structured and goal-oriented, or more advanced building tools & more freeform? Anyways, my recs would be Terraria and Starbound , which are great choices for 2D building, with plenty to do outside of that. Factorio, Prison Architect, Banished, Rimworld, Cities: Skylines, or even something like Stardew Valley would also fit the bill to varying degrees.

But all of these are either overhead builders or 2D. In terms of 3D building games, outside of Minecraft I'm coming up blank.

Tizoc

I started Song of the Deep which is Insomniac's underwater Metroidvania-like game.
It's rather slow but managable.
Quite a charming game too.

low-G

I somewhat crazily opened 2 Gamescom PUBG crates, got a jacket that was worth $7 last night, $8 this morning, and now over $10. I can't even sell it for a week, I guess? (Have the authenticator and everything)

Hope it keeps going up, up, up. I was really hoping for the $500 skirt.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Help me remember a Steam game. It's like the PS3 game Catherine in which you climb up blocks, avoiding traps and trying not to fall into the abyss below.

Alrighty the time has come. Computer is coming next weekend. Anyone want to just list some essential games from the past few years? I've missed so much. I already picked up PUBG. So pumped.

Amzin

Not just blocks.

The foundation of Empyrion is blocks, but you can select different "shapes" like corners, pillars, slopes, etc. and you can rotate everything along the 3 axis. People have made some pretty impressive stuff that you can't get with just cubes. At the same time, everything fills the same amount of space regardless of the shape so it can be janky at times.

The foundation of Empyrion is blocks, but you can select different "shapes" like corners, pillars, slopes, etc. and you can rotate everything along the 3 axis. People have made some pretty impressive stuff that you can't get with just cubes. At the same time, everything fills the same amount of space regardless of the shape so it can be janky at times.

Well that sounds like what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Pachimari

I have tried it in VR and it was really cool to fly around.
Yeah, I've only really tried out the beta on iOS, but it seemed interesting. I've been looking forward to it for probably over a year, but I think I'm gonna buy it for the iPad. I can imagine it being cooler in VR though.

Parsnip

Holy fuck the PUBG items.

Should I have opened in hopes of expensive items? I'm out of town for 2 weeks and I know the prices will drop heavily

I never get anything good out of rng boxes so I'm just keeping my gamescom boxes and maybe they will be worth something once they are no longer available.

Ganado

How does this run now? I've only got a lowly 290x 8GB/4670k combo so I'm weary, and I already know how bad it is on PS4 Pro.

But I really wanna play this damn game.

Played it on high with 970/i5-3570k. Got far over 60fps on 1080p, however some settings were less than high. Its really optimised imo.

Amzin

Well that sounds like what I'm looking for. Thanks!

There's plenty of screenshots and Steam Workshop ships / bases you can look at to get an idea of what's possible. If you play in Survival it will take a good while before you can make anything big and fancy but there is a creative mode just like Minecraft too.

How does this run now? I've only got a lowly 290x 8GB/4670k combo so I'm weary, and I already know how bad it is on PS4 Pro.

But I really wanna play this damn game.

Played it recently at 2560x1400 with a 290/2500k and it ran great except when I went for space walks. The most recent patch borked controller support so it could be worth holding off until that's fixed if you intend to play that way.

data

Is getting unwanted pop-ups on steam a thing now? I just went back from the Saints Row franchise pack page to the SR4 page and got 2 pop-ups for pre-ordering Agents of Mayhem.

Is getting unwanted pop-ups on steam a thing now? I just went back from the Saints Row franchise pack page to the SR4 page and got 2 pop-ups for pre-ordering Agents of Mayhem.

Just checked and it happened to me in the client. So I guess, yeah, it's a thing now!

Seriously, wtf is this, Valve? Beyond gross.

Edit: I'm flagging Agents of Mayhem as harmful on the Steam store, hopefully they will stop this nonsense.

Arminsc

Yeah, was checking just now and happened to me too. What a dick move from valve to allow that shit :/

dot

Alrighty the time has come. Computer is coming next weekend. Anyone want to just list some essential games from the past few years? I've missed so much. I already picked up PUBG. So pumped.

dark souls
huniepop
rocket league
shovel knight
the binding of isaac rebirth
spelunky
resident evil 4
stardew valley
portal

you've never played any pc games?

Knurek

Is it pointless to get a 1080 from a 970 ATM? Or are the new cards still a ways away

Depends on your monitor.
Resolution and framerate? 970 should still be good for 1080p60, but if you want higher resolution, you might need more VRAM. And if you want higher framerates, more GPU (and CPU) power is needed.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Depends on your monitor.
Resolution and framerate? 970 should still be good for 1080p60, but if you want higher resolution, you might need more VRAM. And if you want higher framerates, more GPU (and CPU) power is needed.
1080p 144hz gsync monitor

Plan on getting a 4k HDR TV though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom