• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxiLive

I was thinking that with Titanfall 2 and BF1 being added to Origin Access and there being a wide selection of great new and old multiplayer games on PC, what's the best way of finding people to play with these days? My interest in playing multiplayer games solo has gone down the last few years and the group of people that I used to play with have all drifted apart.

What I'm wondering is if there are any fairly large non-game specific multiplayer communities that makes it easy to get a bunch like-minded people together for a couple of games of e.g. Team Fortress 2 for a night or one that has scheduled playdates every night that makes it easy to join in on.

Surely there has to be something like this out there?

Microsoft's Looking For Group feature on Xbox does a fairly decent job of getting people together but I'd like something more personal and on PC.

I'm not too familiar with many, most people hop on a community Discord like Neogaf, Reddit etc and try to spark some interest from there.

voodooray

Spares:
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Hexoscope Collector's Edition Content -- MB-11A2E9EECEBC9272 - Taken by bobnowhere
NeverEnd -- MB-0DF8FCCEF9D6807B - Taken by Dusk Golem
Vindictive Drive -- MB-0419BC0634CCB9C8 - Taken by abelasabel

Zeknurn

I'm not too familiar with many, most people hop on a community Discord like Neogaf, Reddit etc and try to spark some interest from there.

Yeah, joining the game specific community discords here on gaf around the time of release works well, but after a while they die down because they're game specific and people move on. I just checked the BF1 one and it has unfortunately been dead for quite some time (Which is probably more an indication of the health of the game on PC in general).

What I would like to see is something more general.

I'd give a shot at arranging regular playdates here on steamgaf but I don't think we're big enough to sustain it after being moved to community. DunderHassan did a great job with his Speedrunners competitions though.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Chairmanchuck:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need OVER9000 or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Devil Daggers -- MB-E7AD99117147F8BE - Taken by Large Professor
Super Army of Tentacles 3 -- MB-6DB7C5B38DC82FC1 - Taken by dave is ok
The Reject Demon Toko Chapter 0 -- MB-6DCF6C8A3E5FA070 - Taken by FeedMeAStrayCat

Kirby_Mongler_by_Geemer.jpg

Ascheroth

Not sure if this has been posted somewhere yet:

NarKarma EngineA Teaser Trailer
"From Novectacle, the makers of the renown House in Fata Morgana series, NarKarma EngineA is a TRPG-inspired RPG coming soon to both Windows PC and console!"

Some more details:
NarKarma EngineA
Developer: Novectacle

Upon the distant surface dwells a race of humanoid beasts, in an adventure where you become both the hero and the final villain.

From the creator of the highly acclaimed House in Fata Morgana, comes a new breed of RPG.

Deep beneath the crust dwells a race of humanoid machines and in the strata dividing them, dreams of the dead conjure up phantoms of eras long lost to time. Traversing these forgotten realms, beast and machine cross paths, bringing upon both the threat of extinction. But only one will make it through alive.

NarKarma EngineA takes the player into a world of beasts and mechanical mystery, fusing tabletop role playing gaming with the suspense and intrigue of Keika Hanada's script and the striking illustrations of artist Kanemune. With multiple routes to explore and several characters to develop, NarKarma EngineA is surely a game you don't want to miss!

patapuf

Mankind Divided as Dragon Age 2 is a great comparison. Really really good comparison.

MD is pretty well designed. It fell flat narratively but but the gameplay ect. is solid. And the side content is of good quality, if a bit sparse.

That's diametrically opposed to DA 2's strenghts, if you are willing to give it any.

Lain

Tizoc giveaway reminded me I had some keys rotting on humble. Turned out I also had keys I hadn't redeemed like the Star Wars games.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 56 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Lain, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin -- MB-AE39E91C468B5C51 - Taken by longlivegaming. 2 entrants total.
Team B, Team A, yaddayadda.
t1cxE6r.gif
Dead Rising 3 - Apocalypse Edition -- MB-6798F28A1D0F82AD - Taken by alr1ght. 4 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
DmC: Devil May Cry -- MB-5E43515E272EBAF7 - Taken by sixteen-bit. 1 entrants total.
sorry.
t1cxE6r.gif
Resident Evil 6 -- MB-0B73ABAB12C237E4 - Taken by MissChief. 1 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Stronghold Crusader 2 -- MB-866487657098BD89 - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.
2064: Read Only Memories -- MB-BDF089B71245F952 - Taken by oni-link. 1 entrants total.
7 Grand Steps -- MB-C6408DA7222381AB
AI War: Fleet Command -- MB-2EBE964521ED7A48
Ballistick -- MB-9BBE486FDA9A1A03
Chroma Squad -- MB-7F58E4DF70BF3802 - Taken by abelasabel. 1 entrants total.
Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble -- MB-5FBFC93E9583A0D5 - Taken by MaxiLive. 1 entrants total.
Day of the Tentacle -- MB-8DA2D2D7B73A19C0 - Taken by famfrit. 1 entrants total.
Don't be like zkyzky.
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen -- MB-135372C4D2668D8D - Taken by eyeless. 5 entrants total.
Best combat game on Steam.
Else Heart.Break() -- MB-E93C84CF32E5D966
GRAV (Early Access) -- MB-F0C3F0E505A71B22 - Taken by Belgarion. 1 entrants total.
Free Plus1 for a dead EA game.
Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition -- MB-4EE11086CD650DB0 - Taken by Shalashaska. 1 entrants total.
Galactic Civilizations Ultimate Edition -- MB-3164D850793C60BC
Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition -- MB-0F349588B7853323 - Taken by lazerfox. 1 entrants total.
Guacamelee! Gold Edition -- MB-3A5ED7DCA522E192 - Taken by GrinningColossus. 1 entrants total.
Guns of Icarus Online -- MB-9AE8C6E06ACCFC60
Hand of Fate -- MB-6B3F386987B80C38 - Taken by someguyinahat. 2 entrants total.
Her Story -- MB-1CD0F2F580BC421D - Taken by Mike Bison. 1 entrants total.
Human Resource Machine -- MB-7CB63555ED8790D8 - Taken by bloke. 1 entrants total.
Kero Blaster -- MB-51EC9E6DCE4A4994 - Taken by Vlad. 2 entrants total.
Luna's Wandering Stars -- MB-7AF33C969E90FB7E
Mini Metro -- MB-85B1FA1A915A4FD8 - Taken by Sarcasm. 1 entrants total.
Monster Loves You -- MB-63FCC5278449B80E - Taken by fuzzy123. 1 entrants total.
Mushroom 11 -- MB-66D55454B4F27AF3 - Taken by Booker.DeWitt. 1 entrants total.
Ninja Pizza Girl -- MB-D95EB34C67C0A97B - Taken by septicore. 1 entrants total.
No Time to Explain -- MB-71869E1B194F5CCF
Pillars of Eternity -- MB-D24C4941A0FD6425 - Taken by FeedMeAStrayCat. 4 entrants total.
Potatoman Seeks the Troof -- MB-56D263F2A3C2FAC3
Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut -- MB-DBD437634F12AC18 - Taken by Dangerblade. 1 entrants total.
Resident Evil 0 HD REMASTER -- MB-D335014F0D620711 - Taken by ussjtrunks. 1 entrants total.
Retro Game Crunch -- MB-9B430C2080CFA36E - Taken by DaBargainHunta. 1 entrants total.
Rituals -- MB-22029C87AD59DF15 - Taken by Popstar. 1 entrants total.
Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball -- MB-D50DD64D1E28C116
Rocket Birds: Hardboiled Chicken -- MB-50736CC37EFCB0E7 - Taken by Demon Lizardman. 1 entrants total.
Rust (Early Access) -- MB-42001EC8BFE3E09D - Taken by TheGreenArrow. 1 entrants total.
Secrets of Raetikon -- MB-2CF7D00E04F97F41 - Taken by texhnolyze. 1 entrants total.
Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition -- MB-48740C86B95A9B4C - Taken by Parsnip. 1 entrants total.
Song of the Deep -- MB-228D65510E4C0717 - Taken by Baron von Loathsome. 1 entrants total.
Spirits -- MB-9FE41998A2698BA2 - Taken by sadblob. 1 entrants total.
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic -- MB-F0314C625FD80FB2 - Taken by WisK. 1 entrants total.
Some say this is a great game, but it's Star Wars so I bet it sucks.
Stardew Valley -- MB-422FCE1F55D69A0A - Taken by Sajko. 2 entrants total.
Strider -- MB-D7BE01AF69E43F00 - Taken by Wok. 1 entrants total.
Super Hexagon -- MB-20C0EFD9533BBB89 - Taken by Smeagol. 1 entrants total.
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP -- MB-2A76DE852865BC5D - Taken by AsylumX. 1 entrants total.
System Shock Pack -- MB-799D67AC00FFCFD7 - Taken by dave is ok. 1 entrants total.
The Stanley Parable -- MB-DB82729AE93BFE67 - Taken by Zacagawea. 1 entrants total.
The Swapper -- MB-46CD8E52C551513B - Taken by Orakio Rob. 1 entrants total.
Stallion approved.
Tower of Guns -- MB-2B5E098F7D337585 - Taken by voodooray. 1 entrants total.
VVVVVV -- MB-EB692DA293413EE1
Victor Vran -- MB-B8A81DEAC716EAE9 - Taken by MushroomSamba. 1 entrants total.

Waking Mars -- MB-DA85138FBA96D955 - Taken by Madn. 1 entrants total.
World of Goo -- MB-2085B2E9B6FD906A

t1502374968z1.png

gabbo

Get Even could have had 'Storm' as its codename at some point, sure.

Worth noting that Farm 51 is also Polish dev like People Can Fly, maybe whoever did the very first commit on Get Even was former PCF dude and just started Get Even as a fork of Bulletstorm codebase and forgot to change the appropriate codenames and stuff, and no one else noticed during dev. :p

Really strange either way.
Sloppy for sure

Parsnip

I like the game theory, do you go for one of the big ones with lots of potenial entries or settle for one of the lessor ones?

At this point I own so many games that actually picking what games to go for is easy, just go for the ones you don't own. :p

God bless monkeybot, wouldn't even bother entering without it since I can't remember what I own.

Lain

A lightning raffle for 56 games and not even a free-for-all...that's pretty crazy. But awesome.

In truth, I wanted to do a Trivia giveaway where people had to guess the name of the game to win said game, but then I kept finding keys after keys and by that point I just went with the shortest timer and forgot about everything else. Even forgot about nothanks.

Got Pillars of Eternity from that glorious giveaway! The game's been on my radar for a bit, but I'm not particularly familiar with the genre. Is this a decent place to start?

Do the new gifting restrictions apply when you're gifting a game from an "expensive" region (western Europe)?

I'll probably do a small giveaway through steam in the next couple of weeks.

Got Pillars of Eternity from that glorious giveaway! The game's been on my radar for a bit, but I'm not particularly familiar with the genre. Is this a decent place to start?

Hmm, how do I sugarcoat this?

The game isn't bad, but it's hard as balls and the gameplay mechanisms are more complex than most. So no, it's not the most accessible place to start.

The game isn't bad, but it's hard as balls and the gameplay mechanisms are more complex than most. So no, it's not the most accessible place to start.

It was the first old-school style CRPG I beat or even played for more than 10 hours, for what it's worth. Plus, it does have a "story mode" difficulty for beginners.

I haven't quite finished The White March yet, but there are a couple of difficulty spikes that the game doesn't really train you for, the final boss and the boss at the bottom of the dungeon under your keep. The rest of the game is pretty easy.

Prioritise targets. Mages, priests other high or area DPS targets should be targetted first and if you can't get them, silence them, hold them, freeze them etc... Buff your characters, debuff the enemy, there is nothing more pathetic than a mute mage!

Mivey

Mankind Divided as Dragon Age 2 is a great comparison. Really really good comparison.
Dragon Age 2 took a year to make, and felt incomplete. It didn't even have half as much story, content or anything as Origins. It a spinoff game, essentially.
Mankind Divided delivered one of the most beautifully designed hubs I have ever seen in a Deus Ex game, and feels great to play, and has way more content than it's first game, now that everything has been released.
As far as the plot is concerned, Human Revolution was really weak in that department, the second part was completely forgettable, especially in the Directors Cut, where you have to take a five hour diversion near the finale, with a completely different focus. Then on top the really weak final level with a completely hand-waived final choice.
I love HR, but saying that MD was so much worse in the narrative department is blatant revisionism. Yes, the game hints at more to come, and then ends, but it has some tangible conclusion as opposed to some voice over with some random footage.

Tizoc giveaway reminded me I had some keys rotting on humble. Turned out I also had keys I hadn't redeemed like the Star Wars games.
A lightning raffle for 56 games and not even a free-for-all...that's pretty crazy. But awesome.
Thanks so much, Lain. I won Retro Game Crunch.

Seems really fun so far. The first game I tried, Super Clew Land, is like one of those 8-bit games where they just drop you into it and you have no idea what's going on or what to do. There was a strange puzzle mechanic I had to figure out before I could progress. The second one I tried, Shūten, did have a tutorial, but it felt like a decent 8- or 16-bit shmup after that. These will definitely be nice little time-wasters.

dex3108

PC Gamer posted article about Far Cry 5 and how they played it more. So maybe we will get new previews today :D AC Origins previews maybe after or during Gamescom then.

zkylon

zkylewd
Not sure if I should make this a thread or not but um

uh

how do I put this...

I finally decided, hey, what if my saves were the problem with Bulletstorm? I deleted the folder. Bam. Everything worked! Amazing, right? Okay, so I lost some progress (like, I can play any level and unlock guns based on the levels I'm in with points somehow, but my save's not there), but for whatever reason, some of the OTHER progress stays (like 17/20 wine bottles shot, or random amount of currency, or whatever).

Sucks.

But uh.

Then someone messages me on Twitter and goes "you didn't, by any chance, install Get Even, did you?"

me: uh

them: "As in, the game seems to use use BulletStorm\StormGame\Config for storing its very important configuration files."

_WHAT_

So yeah, installing Get Even is what broke Bulletstorm.

now you know.

lol that's great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom