• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wagamer

TF2Outpost seems to be down for me... does anyone know what The Walking Dead s02 sale price currently is in Putinstanian Russian key market?

Thanks for sharing, I plan to buy it and play (probably at winter seal, not sure yet) and it's good to know that exploration is rewarding.
OTOH, how can you complain about a game where you can swim wherever you want is still beyond me (><)

There are small islets around the main islands that you can swim to but beyond that it doesn't seem to have any real purpose :p

I've also mentioned this before but I think Divinity OS has spoiled me with the depth in it's quests and problems solving required, and this one just doesn't match up in that department. It's definitely a game to get in a sale as far as I'm concerned.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Scale of 1-10. How often does this happen to you specifically?

I only have around 850 games I'd say it's about a 6 on my scale.

I'm generally pretty good about remembering that I own something on Steam, so I'd say 3 or 4. What I absolutely suck at, though, is remembering that I bought something in a bundle. I couldn't begin to tell you how many times I've jumped on a bunch of new Weeklies only to see someone post "[X] keys are now available on [Y] for [Z] buyers" and subsequently realised I wasted a few bucks.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Why is it showing Wings of Prey?

I'm in the middle of regenerating ModBot's game / art / link cache so expect some misfires today as it falls back on the old search system.

Unfortunately every time I regenerate the list it needs to dump all the old data while it's pulling in the data again (there's a very specific reason why which has to do with how ModBot interprets game titles with subtitles)

The second Deponia game starts with some animal abuse, makes me wanna quit playing it, what were the devs thinking? disgusting, not funny at all.

The miracle of early access and greenlight. No one complains as long as they have cards.

A lot of people complain, all the time. Press, devs, gamers , you name it. It might have died down a bit, because it sounded like a broken record and Valve never addressed it. Publicly at least. We know they're working on stuff.

Ok thanks, now to make the desicion if I should pull the trigger now or wait till the eventual winter sale price drop. Although with my current backlog I won't probably have the time to play it until next year...

If you don't have the time then just wait. This is something I'm very much trying to take into account when I buy Steam games now. The game will always be there :)

Arthea

Are you guys serious? We kill and torture people in games in thousands, but killing one bird is somehow unbearable?
I'll never understand this, no matter how hard I try (><)

Deques

Are you guys serious? We kill and torture people in games in thousands, but killing one bird is somehow unbearable?

Apparently killing cows is not an issue (the cow level in Diablo 2)

Chariot

Eh, we kill people very often in games, but that is mostly because we need to. Because they attack us, but torturing a animal? I think it's easy to see why someone can get turned off by a game that starts with torturing a living being.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
well, looks like I'll be playing some Lichdom: Battlemage shortly ... so, you know - feel free to drop by if you want ... or something

the bird is the pet of one of the protagonist friends, he tortures him and kills him while the friends wife is talking about how much she loves the bird.

now tell me how is that similar to killing enemies in games?

It's very different to torture and murder an innocent thing without any reason other than that the person doing it feels it's fun (the fictional person in the game in this case), whether an animal or human, than to kill other people who most likely are trying to do the same thing to you, or even if they don't you still most likely have some reason to do it, for example to get vital information or something.

Vuze

Eh, probably 99,9% of pixel people who get killed in games are evil soldiers killing innocent people n stuff. I doubt a bird could cause any harm to deserve being tortured and killed...
I still feel bad for killing an innocent dog when jumping from a roof in AssCreed because of their fucking controls.

Gotta look up that Deponia scene I guess. Sounds awful

Knurek

Eh, we kill people very often in games, but that is mostly because we need to. Because they attack us, but torturing a animal? I think it's easy to see why someone can get turned off by a game that starts with torturing a living being.

Do you get physically ill while watching Tom & Jerry or Roadrunner cartoons?
Because the characters there torture each other repeatedly. Nobody seems to mind that though.

Arthea

the bird is the pet of one of the protagonist friends, he tortures him and kills him while the friends wife is talking about how much she loves the bird.

now tell me how is that similar to killing enemies in games?

I hope, you'll never play or even see God of War or GTA, for your own good.

oh, I see difference, between torturing a human and a bird, even in a game. Not that any of that really gets to me in any way. It's a game, I read a lot of even worse things done to humans and animals, see in movies too. I still don't understand you, I mean why this is such a big deal, when there are much worse things you probably have seen, if not done (in games at least).

Porcupine

Eh, probably 99,9% of pixel people who get killed in games are evil soldiers killing innocent people n stuff. I doubt a bird could cause any harm to deserve being tortured and killed...
I still feel bad for killing an innocent dog when jumping from a roof in AssCreed because of their fucking controls.

I really don't get it, that people get upset about this. Deponia had some very black humor from the beginning and as someone already mentioned this is the kind of slapstick of the old cartoons like Tom & Jerry. It may be not your kind of humor but I don't think that the scene is about torturing the bird, it's about the slapstick character Rufus has been from the very beginning (he doesn't want to torture the bird on purpose).
EDIT: Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2r_t-5SC7U#t=541

Chariot

Do you get physically ill while watching Tom & Jerry or Roadrunner cartoons?
Because the characters there torture each other repeatedly. Nobody seems to mind that though.
Because they're acting to cartoon logic. Teeth shatter, the body deforms, but in the end they're pulling themselves together within seconds and don't have lasting consequences besides anger. It is made clear, that this isn't serious damage. Plus, it'S cartoons. You watch them, you're not actively engaged.

From what I gather from NingenJinai's text is, that you actively torturing and then killing the bird - while the owner tells the player how much she loves the pet.

I also don't get physically ill, I just don't like it and wanted to pointing out, that others may not like it too, less then me even and I can totally understand them.

edit: Thanks for posting the scene in question, Porcupine. It's relatively cartoonish, but I still can understand why people don't like it. Also: poor old woman, not just because of the bird :(

Arthea

I think we need "steamgaf plays Carmageddon" day (><)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Call of Juarez is not a new casualty, it was removed like a month ago if not more.

I think of all those I have only Juarez and Shattered Horizon. Need to check
That's weird, why would they remove CoJ? It's not a licensed game.

That reminds me, I need to finish it. I have all 4 games on Steam, and have only played a couple of levels of the first one. It was fun, if a bit glitchy, so I have no idea why I never came back.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's weird, why would they remove CoJ? It's not a licensed game.

That reminds me, I need to finish it. I have all 4 games on Steam, and have only played a couple of levels of the first one. It was fun, if a bit glitchy, so I have no idea why I never came back.

It uses GameSpy for MP. Bound in Blood will probably follow suit soon enough.

I hope, you'll never play or even see God of War or GTA, for your own good.

oh, I see difference, between torturing a human and a bird, even in a game. Not that any of that really gets to me in any way. It's a game, I read a lot of even worse things done to humans and animals, see in movies too. I still don't understand you, I mean why this is such a big deal, when there are much worse things you probably have seen, if not done (in games at least).
I don't like GoW and totally hate GTA games.

Difference between seeing some stuff on a movie and the game is that you are the one doing it in the game so it gets me, if I could avoid it I wouldn't do it, but the game forces you to do it to advance, which makes me feel bad, I guess I'm weird to have feelings and a conscience.

This is getting out of hand anyway, I think it was disgusting but I know if was a unsavory failed attempt at humour.

Arthea

I don't like GoW and totally hate GTA games.

Difference between seeing some stuff on a movie and the game is that you are the one doing it in the game so it gets me, if I could avoid it I wouldn't do it, but the game forces you to do it to advance, which makes me feel bad, I guess I'm weird to have feelings and a conscience.

This is getting out of hand anyway, I think it was disgusting but I know if was a unsavory failed attempt at humour.
well, know I think I can understand you, at least on intellectual level, if violence in games disgust you, it just does. You don't need any other argumentation besides that.
You should have skipped Deponia though, its humour is not for everyone and even gameplay isn't.

well, know I think I can understand you, at least on intellectual level, if violence in games disgust you, it just does. You don't need any other argumentation besides that.
You should have skipped Deponia though, its humour is not for everyone and even gameplay isn't.
You are right, but I'm a sucker for point and click games :(

well, looks like I'll be playing some Lichdom: Battlemage shortly ... so, you know - feel free to drop by if you want ... or something
Woah..... just woah! This looks absolutely brilliant. This is like the devs took a look in my brain and built the magic fps gameplay of my dreams!
Seems I had this wishlisted already.

Also, damn. Hitbox's stream quality is superb.

Traded in all my physical current-gen games (all digital now, woo) and bought £100 worth of Steam Wallet Funds. I am ready for anything, but I am too scared to spend it because it looks cool when you have loads of money in the top right corner.

Although I will probably break that for Lethal League tonight.

Arthea

Indies cried when they couldn't get accepted to Steam. Now they cry that other people get accepted with them.

As I said earlier, I think it's amazing! I'm all for diversity and any human having choice, more games - more choices, more people can find what they like to play.
One could understand why indies can be unhappy with this, though. Too much competition, hard to get noticed, but again, not impossible, just not easy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeah I basically think that most of the Indies who wanted on Steam didn't really want an open marketplace, they just thought they ought to have been good enough to make the cut for the closed marketplace. A bit of a tragedy of the commons.

I know there's a decent amount of flak from people not wanting to see Steam go the way of iOS App Store, but it's a pretty superficial argument. I iOS game here and there (I find it comes in waves where I play a bunch of games on my phone and then none) and not once has the sheer amount of things on there hampered me.

The cream still rises to the top. Word of mouth and the always-solid recommendations from the GAF thread ensures that the good games get noticed. I don't see much wrong with that. I play games based on my mood first, a consensus of quality second. A less cluttered storefront does nothing to impact that.

I say bring on the chaff!

Divius

7D2D2DE90A8A6D81F41800AC85782F23BC7374EF

I finished DEADLIGHT.

I absolutely loved the visuals and aesthetics. The world design is pretty good and the animations look great. The way the camera pulls back in open areas really makes it feel like a big world and just how alone you (sans the plentiful zombies) and there's a lot of variation in locations. The comic style 'cutscenes' do not have the same feel as the rest of the game but they weren't bad either. The platforming is not as smooth as you'd like it to be, making some areas (especially timed ones where you have run from a chopper or through a collapsing building) somewhat frustrating. The combat feels good, from swinging an axe into a zombie to shooting their brains all over the floor with your shotgun, there's some real punch behind it and does not get boring.

It took me about 4 hours to finish the game, and that's good. Any longer and the game might have been repetitive and shorter would have been too short. Then again, if I would have paid €12 instead of the one I did for the HB I'd probably be a bit harsher on the game.

Yeah I basically think that most of the Indies who wanted on Steam didn't really want an open marketplace, they just thought they ought to have been good enough to make the cut for the closed marketplace. A bit of a tragedy of the commons.

That seems to be the consensus.

Before they just had to compete to get onto steam, a game indie devs could win. Now they need to just compete with every game in terms of raw marketing. Which is not a good look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom