• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saty

It would be fine if indies failed if they were given close to the best chances, but there are still quite a few things for Valve to implement to get there.

Jawmuncher

I finished DEADLIGHT.

I absolutely loved the visuals and aesthetics. The world design is pretty good and the animations look great. The way the camera pulls back in open areas really makes it feel like a big world and just how alone you (sans the plentiful zombies) and there's a lot of variation in locations. The comic style 'cutscenes' do not have the same feel as the rest of the game but they weren't bad either. The platforming is not as smooth as you'd like it to be, making some areas (especially timed ones where you have run from a chopper or through a collapsing building) somewhat frustrating. The combat feels good, from swinging an axe into a zombie to shooting their brains all over the floor with your shotgun, there's some real punch behind it and does not get boring.

It took me about 4 hours to finish the game, and that's good. Any longer and the game might have been repetitive and shorter would have been too short. Then again, if I would have paid €12 instead of the one I did for the HB I'd probably be a bit harsher on the game.

I hit that wall an hour in and it wasn't worth the price I had payed for it.
Maybe if I had got it out of a bundle I could have enjoyed it more.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of cHinzo, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (cHinzo, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Walking Dead: Season Two -- MB-A4A84810973AB9C0 - Taken by Shalashaska. 105 entrants total.

t1409186958z1.png

Divius

This is a major pet peeve of mine, I have begun to absolutely hate comic cutscenes
Yeah, honestly it feels kind of cheap, but that's the entire point. It's cheaper to make than actual ingame/prerendered cutscene, so from an indie-game-creator POV I can totally relate.
I've done similar myself

Zia

Anyone else playing STFU? The new characters are great, really fleshed out and totally not just the Valve-flavored reskins I was expecting. Haven't touched the Helladeck stuff yet, but it appears as if there's a lot of it. So yeah, the game's still fantastic. Definitely worth your $15, it should've been one of those big-huge indie releases that people talk about for years but I guess that's what happens when you launch on XBL during the quietest time in the service's history.

ViviOggi

Anyone else playing STFU? The new characters are great, really fleshed out and totally not just the Valve-flavored reskins I was expecting. Haven't touched the Helladeck stuff yet, but it appears as if there's a lot of it. So yeah, the game's still fantastic. Definitely worth your $15, it should've been one of those big-huge indie releases that people talk about for years but I guess that's what happens when you launch on XBL during the quietest time in the service's history.

I'm in the process of buying it right now.

Sendou

Probably buying it after I'm done with Divinity which might take a while. This game is massive.

The more games Steam gets the better.

I agree. Valve just needs to offer powerful tools for connecting gamers and games.

Knurek

Are the other Daedelic games better than Deponia?

They are better if you can understand German, I've been told.
If Deadalic can't be arsed to hire graphic artists for their games (instead relying on easily disposable interns), they can't be arsed to hire a competent translator as well.

The more games Steam gets the better.

I would agree with you, but lately there are a lot of games with questionable quality on there.

I would say that everyone can distinguish them, but I also remember a lot of people here said they just checked the new releases 1-2 years ago and picked up good games/wishlisted games by that, which is impossible now, since every day too many games are being released.

Competition is good, but I think sometimes if too many games are being released and maybe an indie-dev doesnt have the budget to do good marketing, some games get "lost". I remember Tetrobot came out of nowhere last year and most people didnt even notice there was a sequel out for Blocks that matter.

They are better if you can understand German, I've been told.
If Deadalic can't be arsed to hire graphic artists for their games (instead relying on easily disposable interns), they can't be arsed to hire a competent translator as well.

As a german I never had any problems with the Daedalic games at all. Good dialogues and great dubbing.

Are the other Daedelic games better than Deponia?

I haven't played Deponia, but I have played The Whispered World. It looks pretty good, and the puzzles are good, but the protagonist's depression can get grating after a while, and it relies on a terrible trope at the end. Also in regards to the end, the ad says " It’s up to you to give an ending to this story" but that's bullshit. In the end you're given a choice but you can't choose one of them. You get railroaded or but-thou-musted to the end.

Keep in mind I haven't played the Special Edition yet. I don't know if they changed the ending to offer a true choice. (Reading up on it, it looks like no they haven't.) It was a good experience with a copout ending. So take that for what you will.

Lomax

Even with the pretty sizeable increase in releases I don't think we have seen an influx of clones of any kind of game.

Agreed, the majority of so-called "garbage" releases have just been old games that at one point had retail releases, and most of those are just nostalgia bait.

I certainly agree that the steam store needs a lot of work, but I really don't think the quantity of releases has much to do with that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Did you voted on every greenlight submission? Tha't impressive.

Not only did I vote on every submission, but I voted on every submission from day one and I catch up every day or two, so I'm fairly confident I've missed very few games that have been pulled for breaking the rules.

Thanks for all the answers and Chariot for his generosity, looks like I'll skip Daedelic after I finish Deponia trilogy, will do Gray Matter next :)

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Super Time Force is really good, though it can get a bit annoying especially if you try to collect everything. The special collectibles are pretty hard to get but otherwise you can complete the game pretty easily I guess. Still well worth the money, though you shouldn't expect some Metal Slug like Run'n'Gun game

I really don't get it, that people get upset about this. Deponia had some very black humor from the beginning and as someone already mentioned this is the kind of slapstick of the old cartoons like Tom & Jerry. It may be not your kind of humor but I don't think that the scene is about torturing the bird, it's about the slapstick character Rufus has been from the very beginning (he doesn't want to torture the bird on purpose).
EDIT: Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2r_t-5SC7U#t=541

I bet most would've been ok with it if you could craft a pouch or upgrade your armor after killing the bird.

i'm looking at you, ACIV/Far Cry 3

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Speaking of Greenlight, if there isn't another batch announcement by/on September 21st, the current wait between batches will become the longest ever.

Zia

Not only did I vote on every submission, but I voted on every submission from day one and I catch up every day or two, so I'm fairly confident I've missed very few games that have been pulled for breaking the rules.

I'm at 3,449 so I doubt you (or I) have missed many.

Thanks for all the answers and Chariot for his generosity, looks like I'll skip Daedelic after I finish Deponia trilogy, will do Gray Matter next :)

Please post impressions of that one when you do. Gray Matter's been on my wishlist for a while and I missed it the last time it went on sale, but I haven't heard many people discuss it.

Knurek

Please post impressions of that one when you do. Gray Matter's been on my wishlist for a while and I missed it the last time it went on sale, but I haven't heard many people discuss it.

It's a great adventure game that misses the mark a bit at the end (the team clearly ran out of money, so the final chapter turns into something more resembling Myst games).
No animal cruelty (that I remember) as well.
Well worth your time if you like PnC games.

Dr Dogg

I think this 'too many games on Steam' thing is 6 of one half a dozen of the other. There are more games published on Steam this year than I'd play in my lifetime but that doesn't mean I need to buy and play every single one. Yes too much flowing through the gates makes it hard for visibility of your own title but if you're expecting to put a game on Steam and let that do the marketing and publicity for you, especially when you have competition in visibility, then you need to adapt to that and find other means to get the word out. Realistically trying to promote a product by just the storefront and the reception the game gets on it's own is asking for trouble. How many of you here use just the front page of the store to keep you informed about what is coming to Steam? Even before the floodgates opened did you use the top sellers list to aid your purchasing decisions?

I get the feeling a lot of people, on both sides of the fence, expect Valve to do more than just be a marketplace. But should the responsibility fall on Valve? Shouldn't the onus being on the content creator to promote their product using the tools available to them? Granted while Steam does offer some ability to promote items outside of discounts, offers and sales the others are somewhat limited due to their design. You could argue the more proactive developers, who visit message boards, send out early copies to the press and the new craze of 'personalities', who have a presence on social media, stream their games, appear on podcasts or do interviews with the media etc. are the ones who deserve a bit of sympathy as at least they are trying to get their game noticed by other means.

t0rment

my first giveaway, enjoy it folks, hopefully i did this right, :)

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (t0rment, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition -- MB-8DBC58DE0DDF7DAD - Taken by Sharkiller. 2 entrants total.
Legend of Grimrock -- MB-E27B06262B2AD55B - Taken by fspm. 9 entrants total.

t1409156900z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom