• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocSeuss

Oh DocSeuss is back!

o/

159.gif

I still hold COD4 and MW2 as the best cods, but MW3 and ghosts were way worse than blops and blops2 in my opinion, both in single and mulitplayer. Guess they all have their appeals though!

I've yet to hear anyone actually explain why Ghosts is bad, which bugs me. Story's actually pretty cool, set pieces are awesome, gadgets are sick.

def sim

I think the thing is, is that I see those differences as minor permutations on a basic concept. It's like we've allowed one game to define what a thing can be and any deviation from it makes it something else. It's like if we only ever allowed Doom clones to be called first person shooters and any game that separates player movement from aiming is something drastically different.

However, at its core i think the Call of Duty games still embody the most important design aspects of the label: fast-paced gameplay with unrealistic movement speeds in an enclosed, relatively small battle arena.

I don't see why a game having a loadout or killstreaks instantly renders it a non-arena shooter, when it is just a series-specific tweak on a similar gameplay concept. Hell, most of the things listed as genre-defining are server options given to you to check off in the original games, so not even those hold steadfast to many of the things listed.

Well, the disagreement seems to be around semantics. I think we had a thread on here about what an arena shooter is just recently, maybe that discussion came to an agreement in the end?

For the record, I think what an arena shooter is depends on whether or not you're playing the game competitively and how that's approached. For me, it's largely map control around player and weapon spawns. Without those, for sure, COD and Quake are very, very similar.

I've yet to hear anyone actually explain why Ghosts is bad, which bugs me. Story's actually pretty cool, set pieces are awesome, gadgets are sick.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed ghosts SP, it just didnt live up to the black ops series to me. I felt the story was pretty clichéd but still fun. Id just recommend bops1 as the better game. Ghosts was just a bit too predictable though id agree the gadgets were cool and I enjoyed the
space missions and launching missiles at the train at the end
quite a bit

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
One for me, and one for someone else...
ModBot said:
A small gift from Stuggernaut:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Stuggernaut, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare -- MB-31F5944ECFB922DB - Taken by Stuggernaut. 22 entrants total.

t1409379568z1.png

WaW is terrible, because it's a Treyarch COD.

MW and MW2 are good SP games.

I'm weird I know but WAW was my favorite CoD single player. I'm not going to win that argument nor can I convince anyone. I just was so pumped at the end of the Berlin second. It was just so awesome. I had such a nerdgasim when planting the Soviet flag at the end.

I have not played a Call of Duty game in many years. I really enjoy a good single player campaign.

Are the newer ones good for single player? Or pretty focused on multiplayer?

Is there a "best" one for single?

My wallet wants to know.
Call of Duty 4 has the best single player campaign, imo, characters and story are really great.
Although Modern Warfare 2 has the best set pieces of the entire franchise so if you want more of a popcorn flick type of game, I'd recommend MW2.

I was also irrationally fond of WaW. But I never got into another CoD after that, for some reason,
It may be because of Kiefer Sutherland, I still find it crazy that he was a voice in WaW.

Mokoi

Banned
Buying COD for the MP is just weird, imo.

That said, I played some Ghosts Alien mode stuff tonight and it's amazing. I want to co-op it with people.

I actually do purchase COD for the story. I like them no matter how bad they get. Although I couldn't even find the will to finish MW3. I would have to rank the games like this. WaW>MW>BO>MW2>BO2 still haven't played ghosts, so can't say anything about it.

That was probably a part of it. :)

I also got into more wrpgs and such around that time.

Makes me wonder when a publisher will take the plunge and try to make World War 1 and trench warfare marketable. Though, I guess that the lack of a Hitler figure would be another challenge in that marketing aspect, while a WW2 game story where you played as a German (Not counting MP) would probably be career suicidal, I can't say I'd be opposed to being a German in the 1st World War, unless my lack of education about that specific topic has some glaring omissions.

For me I think it was because it focused on the Soviet side so well. It had less of "America and British F Yeah!" trope featured heavily in other CoD games. I'm not a Sovietphilia by any means but I liked the uniqueness of the perspective.

The other WW2 CODs were like that too weren't they? Not played them myself, but it seemed to be one of the series' strengths in that respect.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I call hax

:/

OMG, Casimir! Lol, congrats!! \o/

:p

Makes me wonder when a publisher will take the plunge and try to make World War 1 and trench warfare marketable. Though, I guess that the lack of a Hitler figure would be another challenge in that marketing aspect, while a WW2 game story where you played as a German (Not counting MP) would probably be career suicidal, I can't say I'd be opposed to being a German in the 1st World War, unless my lack of education about that specific topic has some glaring omissions.

The problem with WW1 settings is that small arms had not readily developed rapid fire weaponry and tactics. Secondly, military vehicle technology was still in it's infancy.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Asgaro, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Asgaro, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Serious Sam 3: BFE -- MB-AB65B0927623196E
Garry's Mod -- MB-197A532EB629ABD8 - Taken by SSPssp. 6 entrants total.
Orcs Must Die! GOTY -- MB-FE73531CD1C982F9 - Taken by FauX
Orcs Must Die! 2: Complete Pack -- MB-8706E0485C6BF739

t1409374527z1.png

Kaper

Question: Do I need a paypal account to gift/send money to someone's paypal account? Googling the question has only resulted in more confusion.

Shade

Found: Games looking for a home. Wanted: Your library.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Shade, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Tropico 3 Steam Special Edition -- MB-7F15748CE6A76DFF - Taken by electroflame. 1 entrants total.
Jagged Alliance 2 Wildfire -- MB-1397E9B4FF1EA513 - Taken by Ezalc. 2 entrants total.
Earth 2160 -- MB-0F45E1EB3C0FACD8 - Taken by FiveElementNinja. 2 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Patrician IV -- MB-9846F19520B9554C - Taken by Jadax. 2 entrants total.
Vigil Blood Bitterness -- MB-2A14BBBC59090C4A - Taken by Casimir. 1 entrants total.
Sherlock Holmes The Awakened -- MB-24FAA9EDF9170FA6 - Taken by Htown. 2 entrants total.
Scratches -- MB-088667BB656EB831 - Taken by crazyrabbits. 3 entrants total.
Scratches #2 -- MB-E8189367ACC0D499 - Taken by Diedac. 2 entrants total.
Aztaka -- MB-41D7F35493657B0B - Taken by crazyrabbits. 3 entrants total.
Avencast Rise of the Mage -- MB-662671176CFCE00E - Taken by Consequence. 1 entrants total.

t1409372008z1.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm strangely tempted by The Pinball Arcade's DLC (50% off for season 1 right now). Russian currency converted price would be around $6.50, which is about 80% off the base US price or around 55% off the sale price. Wonder if they'll discount it more heavily in the future?

I actually do purchase COD for the story. I like them no matter how bad they get. Although I couldn't even find the will to finish MW3. I would have to rank the games like this. WaW>MW>BO>MW2>BO2 still haven't played ghosts, so can't say anything about it.
Wait so you purchase COD for the story but found BO2 the worst of them? I honestly think BO2 had the best story of any of the CODs.

I'm strangely tempted by The Pinball Arcade's DLC (50% off for season 1 right now). Russian currency converted price would be around $6.50, which is about 80% off the base US price or around 55% off the sale price. Wonder if they'll discount it more heavily in the future?

I'd say incredibly unlikely. This is the first decent sale since it launched, and they rarely do sales. I'd jump on it, its worth it, assuming you dig pinball.

Buzzbrad

I have BLOPS 2 and I am looking at Ghosts. The hefty 25 GB is crazy though. Is the multiplayer any good? Or should I stick with BLOPS 2?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I have BLOPS 2 and I am looking at Ghosts. The hefty 25 GB is crazy though. Is the multiplayer any good? Or should I stick with BLOPS 2?

Ghosts' MP is practically dead. Player numbers are higher now due to the sale, but they never last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom