• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maneil99

A2D8B411F817C48AE4BE791439D2149F88CDC16A

SteamGaf always wins

Dr Dogg

imma play a bit of free boredlands 2

which class is fun to play?

Well if soloing the Commando does give you the option of twice the firepower with the turret which makes some of the more coop focused encounters more palatable. In both games I've found the Siren class the most fun to play as due to the versatility they have in their skill trees and their powers are quite different from the other classes. Haven't tried a Mechromancer or Psycho character yet but I don't know if you'd get those two over the free weekend due to being DLC.

taco543

Here you guys go!
ModBot said:
Instructions for taco543:
Did you know they used to call me toucan sam.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (taco543, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae -- MB-99B66540BCC909A2 - Taken by zkylon
Terraria -- MB-D06D00A6B155C488 - Taken by Troubled Bat
EDGE, Anomaly, and Osmos Steam Key- -- MB-CD3CC78B9C46D06D - Taken by mik7697

zkylon

zkylewd
went with the siren, i remember enjoying her somewhat in the first game and everyone else just looks kinda boring

i wanted to play the little girl but she's dlc :I

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
went with the siren, i remember enjoying her somewhat in the first game and everyone else just looks kinda boring

i wanted to play the little girl but she's dlc :I

She plays differently than the BL1 Siren, with regards to her power.

The little girl, if the devs are to be believed, is apparently for people who don't want any difficulty. They made the robot overpowered I believe.

diablogod

Giveaway

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (diablogod, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Suguri Collection -- MB-A5ACD1AD85BE0B99 - Taken by kurahador. 1 entrants total.
Gravi -- MB-0B5704C0728A11C4 - Taken by Pop. 1 entrants total.
Aztaka -- MB-BAB96C2D0553A7DA - Taken by Big_Al. 2 entrants total.

t1408778505z1.png

Dr Dogg

I actually prefer Phase-Lock over the firsts Phasing. I've found it works quite well in either an offensive, defensive or support situation, especially with how you spec out your Siren. Though a team of 4 Soldiers from the first was just stupidly overpowered if you all went down a different path.

kudoboi

for anyone who needs a new Xbox One Controller, they're on sale right now for $35 over on Rakuten for the Controller + $5 Filler + Rakuten Cash. quoted from SD:

nooo why do all the awesome deals not ship out of america?! i was just about to cancel my xbox one COD controller on amazon for this

Ok, here is a quick review wrap-up of stuff i bought over the week/weekend. If anyone cares enough, i can post more in-depth impressions on specific stuff, or you can always ask me on Steam!

Coin Crypt: This has to be one of my favorite games on Steam. This is a dungeon crawler/rogue-like, but the twist is that all of your actions are done by coins you collect. So, coins tend to be "Hit 2" "Heal 2" "Regenerate" "Steal Coin", and so on. You get a random draw of coins each time, and the combat is done in real time when you enter a battle. If you don't have any coins, you lose. However, if you have too many coins, it can be hard to get to the stuff you need. Its almost like an on-the-fly deck-building game, crossed with a rogue-like. Its intense, pretty difficult, but has a vast amount of characters that each play slightly or majorly different, which should give everyone a character that would fit to their play style. Well technically still in early access, the game is constantly updated, and if sold at the price its at right now (6.99), could be sold as a full game with no problem. Absolutely worth checking out.

Detective Case and Clown Bot: I've seen mixed opinions in this thread on here, but i have to say, i actually kind of dig it so far. Its a solid point-and-click, and well it gives off a very Sam and Max-esque vibe, its not on par with that series at all. But, i'm enjoying it. The humor still works a good chunk of the time, i dig the way they set up interviewing people (Think Phoenix Wright Psy-Locks), and i dig the solid sprite work. I hope the actual mystery case and story ends up being solid, but so far, i'm digging it.

Duke Nukem 3D: I had never played it before. Yeah, its pretty awesome. I mean, its just a good time. I don't think i have to actually tell you all that, but yeah, i was in the mood for a 90's style shooter, and it delivered.

Dungeons: Eyes of Draconus - Here is a game i was actually pretty interested in, but i'm a bit disappointed in. Its obviously suppose to be a big send-up of Golden Axe, but it also has a story, and all of the writing and stuff is pretty painful. For some reason, i felt like they were trying to be Heavy Metal meets Golden Axe, but with none of the charm. The beat-em up stuff itself it ok, but even for 3 bucks, it's not doing much for me. It does have 3-player local and online co-op, but that's about all its got going for it. Shame, with a little more time refining the game engine and maybe cutting back on the story interruptions and bad jokes, could have been a solid beat-em up. Can't really recommend it.

Major Mayhem: I actually played it a little bit on iOS, but i like it, its essentially Time Crisis but from a different perspective. Shoot at enemies, stop shooting to dodge the bullets that will actually hit, try to chain combos by quickly killing enemies, getting head shots in a row, or other such things. Its obviously about getting high scores and replaying levels, but a solid time killer nonetheless. Just don't go in expecting anything deep, its a very simple game.

Mega Coin Squad: If you have friends you game with at your house, you should seriously consider nabbing this. Basically, all 4 players are trying to collect a certain amount of coins and get them into a piggy bank in the center of the stage first. Of course, there are enemies in your way, and your friends, and when you die, all your coins come spraying out. After each round, depending on how well you do, you'll get random upgrades from a slot machine that either give you access to new weapons or upgrade your existing abilities. Its good, chaotic fun, and hopefully online eventually comes along, but it still is another solid notch in the "PC Local Multiplayer Gods" belt that joins the likes of Crawl, Mount Your Friends, Speedrunners, and Spelunky.

The Counting Kingdom: I honestly nabbed this thinking the game was going to be more fast-paced/slightly more difficult then it is. Don't get me wrong, fundamentally the game is a smart, clever educational game. Its also built with that "3-Star Rank" systems most casual/iOS games have, and getting 3-stars can get kind of tough in some of the later stages i've seen, but honestly, this is going to be a cakewalk for most anyone. As a kids educational game, its actually pretty smartly designed, and i totally give props to them for that. There even could be a great overall game here if the game forced you to think quickly (its not timed or anything, you can sort of take time to think things out from what i've played to). As it stands, cute fun little game, but very easy.

Ziggurat: I suck at this game, but i really like it. Its essentially a first-person rogue-like. Even though it looks like all kinds of spell-casting and such, don't let that fool you. Each of the spells seems to generally act like a typical type of FPS weapon (Pistol, Shotgun, Machine Gun, so forth). However, this is not a grind-esque roguelike, its very much about your wits and combat reflexes. It actually reminds me of old-school shooters a bit, or as an apt comparison, a much more enjoyable, polished version of a Steam game called Paranautical Activity that i know has been bundled quite a few times. From what i've played of it so far, i really dig the way the game plays and the idea, but i'm not sure how much content the game will have. It seems like it could get repetitive quick, but again, i haven't played enough to really know yet. Fun game either way.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
nooo why do all the awesome deals not ship out of america?! i was just about to cancel my xbox one COD controller on amazon for this

Because if you really wanted awesome deals, you'd live in the awesome country that is America.

zkylon

zkylewd
i won me some panties

def gonna give it a shot when i'm done with tits :>

The little girl, if the devs are to be believed, is apparently for people who don't want any difficulty. They made the robot overpowered I believe.
huh

that's ridiculously stupid

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I want replay again Silent Hill Homecoming, but I have several question, since I remember a lot of problems with the game.
First: can I use my 360 pad? I remember having problems during QTE.
Are there problems with Win7?
Any particular setting?

Also,someone has a savegame? I remember the first time I achieved the UFO ending, and that was the only ending available the first time you complete the game. And I want to see the true ending, this time.

No idea for the PC version stuff, but the way to get the good ending (there is no true ending) is here in spoiler tags:

Kill Alex's mom, forgive Alex's dad, and save Wheeler.

Also, you can get all of the other endings on the first time.

tmarg

that's ridiculously stupid

IIRC, they also gave her an ability that makes all of her shots automatically ricochet towards your enemies, so that you don't actually have to be able to aim.

They described her as a class "for your girlfriend to play" in one of the more tone deaf explanations of a gameplay decision in recent memory.

Corpekata

Banned
The QTEs in the PC version of Homecoming are pretty weird, often requiring a Herculean effort.

Game can be played with 360 pad but it maps them weird. Like, it has color symbols that are clearly modelled after the 360 pad, but the game itself doesn't use them right, so it's confusing. Like A, the green button is represnted on screen by the red button (B). But I think A is the only button really on screen for much outside tutorials (its the QTE key) so if you just keep that in mind you'll get used to it.

Though honestly I think it handles well enough on KBAM if the 360 stuff gets to you.

Corpekata

Banned
IIRC, they also gave her an ability that makes all of her shots automatically ricochet towards your enemies, so that you don't actually have to be able to aim.

They described her as a class "for your girlfriend to play" in one of the more tone deaf explanations of a gameplay decision in recent memory.

That's just one of the skill trees. You can build her like a normal character very easily.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Terraria -- MB-2B90B87A1F458BC0 - Taken by jfredsilva

Shadownet

Banned
So since Dragon Age Inquisition isn't coming to Steam, only Origin.

Should I get it for PS4 or Origin?

I heard that everyone is hating on Origin. Why?

BorntoPlay

Here you go....XD

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (BorntoPlay, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Dungeon Defenders -- MB-7067F112EBCDA77E - Taken by properpropaganda

JaseC

So since Dragon Age Inquisition isn't coming to Steam, only Origin.

Should I get it for PS4 or Origin?

I heard that everyone is hating on Origin. Why?

Origin isn't bad. The problem people have with it is that it doesn't represent competition but rather fragmentation -- it's the direct result of EA saying "We want a piece of that pie, too!" and keeping its games off of Steam in service of that. Even Ubisoft is guilty of this behaviour to a small extent (I honestly can't think of any examples other than King Kong and Tintin, but I haven't exactly dug deep).

Corpekata

Banned
Oh, ok thanks.

But on the screen is stated that the A button is really the A button, even if is red?
I mean, the game shows you control or I need to guess them?

Kinda have to guess. I mean you could probably just google a PDF of the game's 360 manual. But the game is from the time before 360 pad adoption was widespread so it's mainly just going to read in the game's menu like Button 7 instead of Y, that sort of thing.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Since you're here, can you add a retry option to Idle Master so that it periodically reattempts to access a user's badge page, say, every five minutes? There must have been Steam Community server hiccups at 6am AWST as I returned to my laptop earlier and found that IM didn't do anything because it couldn't access my badge page; it worked just fine after I closed it and immediately re-opened it, so the issue definitely wasn't settings/cookie-related.

Sorry about that, got lost in Diablo III again for a little bit...

Anyway, there is already code in place so that if Idle Master can't reach Steam, it should keep retrying every 5 minutes until it can, then resume idling. Not really sure what happened there...

Man, Banished is tough.

I downloaded a 300+ pop save file to figure out how to play (which I should not have done since it triggered the acheevs), and my people still freeze at Winter.

zkylon

zkylewd

wow that's pretty fucking embarrassing :/

I had no idea you were like that.
like what :D

JaseC

Anyway, there is already code in place so that if Idle Master can't reach Steam, it should keep retrying every 5 minutes until it can, then resume idling. Not really sure what happened there...

Haha, just my luck, I suppose.

zkylon

zkylewd
wow mitsurugi kamui hikae showers you with achievements

what's funnier is that it unlocks them all when you close the game so i just like got like 10 achievements straight lol

pretty fun game, thought it was gonna be a lot more cringey

Dr Dogg

My experience with Diablo III usually goes like this. Pick up quest from hub, portal to questing area, click, click, click, click, click, click, about 10,000 clicks, over dramatic boss cutscene dialog, furiously click bosses lights out, open chest and collect junk, return to questing area to find gear to make it worth my while, a billion more clicks, town portal back to hub, sell junk gear, visit Covetous Shen, the blacksmith dude and the enchantress, look at clock, WHERE DID THE LAST 5 HOURS GO!?!?!?

I don't know what it is about Diablo but I just switch off and can mindlessly 'play' it for hours on end where I struggle to get over the early hump with Torchlight and Path of Exile.

Shadownet

Banned
Origin isn't bad. The problem people have with it is that it doesn't represent competition but rather fragmentation -- it's the direct result of EA saying "We want a piece of that pie, too!" and keeping its games off of Steam in service of that. Even Ubisoft is guilty of this behaviour to a small extent (I honestly can't think of any examples other than King Kong and Tintin, but I haven't exactly dug deep).

Guess I'll wait for that review to see if the PC version run well or not

Nope, that jump is possible.

kz_comp would be useful if you wanted to practice.
Those crazy jumps.. Thanks for the link man.

Aerocrane

Those crazy jumps.. Thanks for the link man.

Launders has a bunch of tutorials that you may find useful:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCnUW44ywkDNV9mXOW2gnJ8-kSDczGr_d
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCnUW44ywkDNTDX_BZzs_3ncj_DYdUa_S
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCnUW44ywkDOUB8yaBLprA9LkDkYDKOg4

Also, a playlist of all of Blasdfa's self-boost runs. He makes any jump looks real easy.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCnUW44ywkDPv4SA8KePS2W2ESirDE_EW
All of those jumps are doable in normal matchmaking settings if you are incredibly good like Blasdfa.

Just saw the Steam exclusive Super Time Force Ultra stuff. Looks ridiculously fun. I'll be there with my €-equivalent of $14.99 as soon as the price is up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom