• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkroronoa

Just finished Astebreed, fantastic shoot 'em up, one of the best i ever played.
Kinda short, took me 4 hours to finish the campaign in normal difficulty but i replayed a few times the first levels. It could help if they made it more difficult, last 2 bosses were really challenging (but fun, at first they may seem impossible but they are fair) but before that its really easy, its ok for me because i am not that good in that genre. :p

The action is amazing, there are bullets everywhere but you have a sword to cut through most of them (except red laserrs, these can be deadly), that sword is what makes the game fun because you can do close combat. Its a great twist.

One major flaw is that the game has a story (a pretty decent anime style one) that is narrated during gameplay, but the voice acting is in japanese and you have to read the subtitles while there is hell going on in the screen. But i really think its nice that the story is told like that because makes a better atmosphere, like you are part of the story constantly.

Deitus

Apparently I missed some modbot drama while I was asleep.

For anyone who had been wondering who won the Metro Redux Bundle giveaway, it was taco543. Congratulations taco!

IIRC, they also gave her an ability that makes all of her shots automatically ricochet towards your enemies, so that you don't actually have to be able to aim.

They described her as a class "for your girlfriend to play" in one of the more tone deaf explanations of a gameplay decision in recent memory.

Late response, I know. I don't know why people make such a big deal about the Mechromancer class and her being "girlfriend friendly".

When I played through BL2 in co-op with my friends, my one friend convinced his wife, who had never played a shooter before, to join in with us. The only reason she agreed to play was because there was a character designed for people who aren't experienced at shooters. And she had a ton of fun, and we had a ton of fun playing with her. So I'm personally glad they did that.

The character (at least one skill tree) is designed for people who aren't skilled at a aiming, but it isn't quite like it plays itself. The ricochet skill, even when maxed out, only reflects 50% of bullets, and reflected bullets only do 50% damage. So if you just aim wildly you will only do 25% of the damage any other person could do. Her class ability summons a pet (Deathtrap) who can fight with her, and is quite strong, but it has a really long cooldown time. Plus you still have all of the normal problems of taking just as much damage as anyone else when you get shot. Ultimately if you choose to play the class in "girlfriend mode", you are nowhere near overpowered, but you are able to contribute to the team even if your aiming skills are lacking.

But that's only one of her skill trees. Her other two skill trees have nothing newbie friendly about them. In fact, the one skill tree she has can make the game extremely difficult at the cost of drastically increasing her power. She's also my favorite character.

Anyone know why my profile now shows about 100+ less games? I did that F2P trick which linked all F2P games to my account and while they're still showing the total number of games seems to reflect them not being there.

Played a little bit further into Risen 3, almost completed one of the islands and the game still isn't grabbing me. The game has too much density without having any depth. Meaning everything you do is counted as a quest. Running into a notable NPC is a quest. Killing a pack of 3 wolves counts as it's own quest. And so they've found a way to pile on the 'content' without actually designing an interesting RPG. So far there's no problem solving or decision making and instead you're just going through rote tasks to check items off a list. And I've downgraded the voice acting quality from amateur to atrocious. I want to punch people in the face any time they start speaking :| And a side consequence of a fully voice acted game of course is that it severely limits the dialog choices. You'll rarely see any dialog box with more than 4 options in it.

This is just disappointing :(

madjoki

Anyone know why my profile now shows about 100+ less games? I did that F2P trick which linked all F2P games to my account and while they're still showing the total number of games seems to reflect them not being there.

F2P no longer count. I'd like to think it's to prevent multiaccounters(possible even scammers) etc. getting easily high-level steam accounts.

Deitus

I think someone asked this before. But is Metro game saves transferable to the new Redux version? Currently working through Last Light.

I don't know if we've gotten official confirmation, but the consensus is they probably won't. Last Light might be possible, but 2033 definitely won't transfer saves.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

F2P games no longer count as owned. The Famaze dev used this to screw collectors over by changing the retail key/store sub to a FoD sub before yanking the game from the store. I registered a retail key to my account back in May, but the game no longer counts.

SSPssp

I wish there was a way for them to go free without yanking the old game from the store. I paid several valuable pennies for that +1! :(

So yesterday I made a post on the Dark Souls page on Facebook, asking for some GFWL news. This morning, I woke up to this friend request.

Tn78WAA.png

I wonder if he has any info... I guess we'll see, I accepted his request.

Zia

Do you guys think there's an audience for non-brodacious adult Twitch streamers? The boyfriend I are think about streaming local co-op indie games for something to do, but we're not sure if it's worth the embarrassment.

JaseC

So yesterday I made a post on the Dark Souls page on Facebook, asking for some GFWL news. This morning, I woke up to this friend request.

Tn78WAA.png

I wonder if he has any info... I guess we'll see, I accepted his request.

At least you got something. I asked Epic about Bulletstorm but was ignored; ditto for Stainless and Carmageddon coming to Steam. Ignoring people is such a dick thing to do: it takes five seconds to respond to a message with "We have no such plans at this time."

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Freedom = $1.05, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 0 Steam keys and 5 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Freedom = $1.05, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

vRvbDCu.png
Medal of Honor (Origin) -- MB-FB6D0DD20C69A196 - Taken by MattyG344. 1 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
t1cxE6r.gif
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition (Origin) -- MB-7210C732626B944A - Taken by Majukun. 2 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Mirror's Edge (Origin) -- MB-733B04D4C2172E8C
vRvbDCu.png
Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box (Origin) -- MB-7FD58304E5FE6CC0 - Taken by BigAT. 4 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 Uprising (Origin) -- MB-4138060918A75F2A - Taken by Belgarion. 2 entrants total.

t1408811548z1.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of wagamer, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (wagamer, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Humble Indie Bundle #3 -- MB-BBAD18EDC0B81472 - Taken by Sarcasm. 5 entrants total.
Humble Indie Bundle #2 -- MB-A901B4C1814DC70A - Taken by Jadax. 8 entrants total.
Universe Sandbox -- MB-33FD86BF9ABC27DB - Taken by creamsugar. 1 entrants total.
Broken Sword: Director's Cut -- MB-E931C87EA95ADE96 - Taken by Sub Zero. 6 entrants total.
Cortex Command -- MB-E67D81E4243A13EB - Taken by Scipius. 1 entrants total.
Anomaly Korea -- MB-2429B3039C795DFB - Taken by topyy. 7 entrants total.
The Lord of the Rings Online: Steely Dawn Starter Pack -- MB-DB81DE704957D145
Batman: Arkham Origins DLC -- MB-4AA4C73E54D468F8 - Taken by FauX. 3 entrants total.

t1408811606z1.png

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
At least you got something. I asked Epic about Bulletstorm but was ignored; ditto for Stainless and Carmageddon coming to Steam. Ignoring people is such a dick thing to do: it takes five seconds to respond to a message with "We have no such plans at this time."
Maybe there are plans and they just can't talk about them? The guys who did Bioshock 2 pretended not to understand when asked way back when.

Sendou

This. I understand that some people simply get an overwhelming amount of messages to respond to but it seems that even people that have time sometimes ignore you for seemingly no good reason. What does it accomplish I wonder?

Do you guys think there's an audience for non-brodacious adult Twitch streamers? The boyfriend I are think about streaming local co-op indie games for something to do, but we're not sure if it's worth the embarrassment.

I think there's an audience but not necessarily a big one. So many streamers these days too. If streaming is something you'd enjoy then I recommend giving it a go but if the primary goal is to acquire audience then it might be painful road. I'd watch something like that for sure. Too few streams about local multiplayer that aren't hosted by annoying people.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Personally I don't watch streamers because I don't like yelling or chat spam or the fixation on the streamer or the crass commercialization of it all. I also don't watch video let's plays for the same reason. So intuitively I would enjoy a quiet, respectful, useful streamer more. But honestly I can't see me being a frequent watcher of any streamer so maybe I'm not the person to ask

German is my main language, so excuse me for asking. Define non-brodacius and any correlation with bodacius it may have? Also, I always, ALWAYS watch stream of fellow gaffers when I am on time. So please do it with your bf! I'd watch it.

Athleon

I'd say go for it, should be a fun experience. If you enjoy it and stick with it people will come naturally. You may want to consider Hitbox over Twtich, less traffic but maybe it's easier to get noticed there.

JaseC

Maybe there are plans and they just can't talk about them? The guys who did Bioshock 2 pretended not to understand when asked way back when.

Disregarding when I sent the messages, "We have no plans at this time" is generally PR-speak for "We have plans but can't talk about them", so it works either way.

As a video editor/general broadcast nerd, the first thing you need to ask yourself is: Am i doing this because i enjoy doing it. If the answer is no, its probably not for you. I stream and make videos because its what i love to do, and even seeing a few people enjoy it makes me really happy, and i also love doing it. However, if you're looking to gain followers/become popular and such, and the enjoyment is secondary, i'm usually in the camp of "Set your expectations low". I like the idea though, i'd certainly give you guys a shot if decide to do it.

I think there are an audience for that, there was a streamer I used to watch where serious discussion was common during his streamings, though the audience was already there because he is an occasional participant in a podcast. Since he started working on his master degree he stopped streaming though.

Yup, of course there is. I follow 2 that are pretty 'mundane' by twitch standards, but they get 100-300 viewers when they stream. I'm not THAT bodacious myself, and while I've never proactively 'advertised' my stream I've managed to pick up around 10-20 people who'll come and watch.

There's an audience for everything, you just have to find them.

What if you're asking the wrong people? What if the people you are asking are being asked by countless people every day? I wouldn't take it personally, you're just someone from the internet in the grand scheme of things.

Zia

German is my main language, so excuse me for asking. Define non-brodacius and any correlation with bodacius it may have? Also, I always, ALWAYS watch stream of fellow gaffers when I am on time. So please do it with your bf! I'd watch it.

It was just a term I sort-of made up (I'm sure it's in use) in reference to Gamer Dudes. I'm a woman in my mid-30s that honestly, embarrassingly, spends as much time reading Refinery29 as I do playing games.

Thanks all for the feedback. I think we'll do it and it should be fun. I'll update when we decide to give it a go.

It was just a term I sort-of made up (I'm sure it's in use) in reference to Gamer Dudes. I'm a woman in my mid-30s that honestly, embarrassingly, spends as much time reading Refinery29 as I do playing games.

Thanks all for the feedback. I think we'll do it and it should be fun. I'll update when we decide to give it a go.

Do it because you want to do it, and just keep doing it. You'll get peaks and dips depending on what game/day/time you stream, but over time you'll develop a community with those who stick around.

JaseC

What if you're asking the wrong people? What if the people you are asking are being asked by countless people every day? I wouldn't take it personally, you're just someone from the internet in the grand scheme of things.

I don't take it personally. I just think it's unbecoming.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I guess I'm in a pretty good place since I own every game on GMG's "50 games you must play before you die" list. And I've probably even played about 40 of them.

Haunted

I mean, it's not as big of an audience as there is for the obnoxious personality streamers, but there are a couple of them out there just streaming for themselves/close circles of friends and having fun.

If you think you'd be having fun doing it, I don't see why it's important if there's even an audience for it (except if you want to make money, I suppose :D).

Deques

I guess I'm in a pretty good place since I own every game on GMG's "50 games you must play before you die" list. And I've probably even played about 40 of them.

Since you are here now

Is it possible to add a minimize to tray to Idle Master? I asked about it earlier but didn't get a response

People would watch this tbh. They watch fish play Street Fighter. For as weird as you think you are, there's someone weirder on the internet.

I don't take it personally. I just think it's unbecoming.

I can understand it, but at the same time I wouldn't expect an answer. Whenever I have had to ask about stuff, I've found twitter to be useful and sometimes get replies depending on who you ask or if you've built a report with studios.

Parsnip

Wow, love the artstyle. Should I play the Longest Journey before this? It's on my wishlist but it'd be good to know whether watching videos of Dreamfall spoil LJ.

I'd play both The Longest Journey and Dreamfall: TLJ before going into Dreamfall Chapters (when it comes out). It appears to be more or less direct continuation of what happened in Dreamfall: TLJ.

Deitus

Oh, haha. <3 QWOP

I thought you were talking about weird stuff you do in games. Like being OCD and having to collect all the things, or rolling everywhere you go for no reason. That's what I do.

I personally wouldn't want to stream anything. Mainly because I'm kind of a private person, but also because I think people would just get frustrated with how I play games. I always take significantly longer than average to beat games (going by what people post online anyway).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Since you are here now

Is it possible to add a minimize to tray to Idle Master? I asked about it earlier but didn't get a response

Do you mean for the main program itself, or for the "You're now in-game" box? I think I can make it happen with the in-game program, but probably not with Idle Master itself.

Of course, you can always use something like RBTray to accomplish this for either.

Oh, haha. <3 QWOP

I thought you were talking about weird stuff you do in games. Like being OCD and having to collect all the things, or rolling everywhere you go for no reason. That's what I do.

I personally wouldn't want to stream anything. Mainly because I'm kind of a private person, but also because I think people would just get frustrated with how I play games. I always take significantly longer than average to beat games (going by what people post online anyway).

Well, to be honest my problem is consistency, I'd stream a game for 20 min get bored and go to another game, then repeat ad infinitum.

Porcupine

The funny thing is, this is absolutely not true, that there is a law for that. Some TV shows can only be shown at a certain time, but here we're talking about buying a game in a shop. As a german I can't believe how stupid and uninformed some publishers/developers are.
At least there is some hope. Recently we had the problem that it was announced that even the foreign copies of Dead Rising 3 couldn't be used at a german Steam account. There is absolute no reason to make such a restriction and they listened to the gamers and checked the laws again and now you can activate a foreign copy. Germany is often far ahead in a lot of things, but with things like this we are in the stone age...

JaseC

I can understand it, but at the same time I wouldn't expect an answer. Whenever I have had to ask about stuff, I've found twitter to be useful and sometimes get replies depending on who you ask or if you've built a report with studios.

I don't expect an answer as historically I've had mixed success when it comes to general enquiries. I just feel that some sort of acknowledgement should be considered a common courtesy rather than a tall order. I mean, if Bethesda can take the time to respond to my big ET:QW e-mail with "Thank you for your feedback" then surely a developer that needed Kickstarter for its current game can do the same. ;)

tmarg

Late response, I know. I don't know why people make such a big deal about the Mechromancer class and her being "girlfriend friendly".

The issue people have with it isn't that they created a character with a lower skill floor, it's that they apparently felt the need to suggest which gender of player would need such a thing.

They could have just said that it was designed for players who want to enjoy the co-op aspect of the game but had a more casual play style than the rest of the group, and we all would have gotten the idea and suggested her to the appropriate people in our groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom