• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ehhh, I think I'll hold off on DS2 actually. Apparently the PC port isn't a very good one, and I already got the platinum trophy on PS3. Pretty much the only reason I should get this is the DLC, and I don't recall hearing if it was any good.

Any of you guys played it on PC? What did you think of the port?

Options are limited, but it runs well provided you don't max out shadows (the ability to adjust shadow quality was patched in; despite the performance penalty I could not see a difference between the highest and penultimate settings).

Ezalc

SteamGAF which one would be better to get: Tales of Graces F or Digital Devil Saga 1? I don't think I'd be able to get both DDS right now though I'd want to. I'm leaning tales since apparently the physical copy is expensive and atlus does a lot of sales.

Note that I might be looking into getting Invisible Inc. early next month so can't spend too much at the moment, that last bit is also served to keep this post somewhat pc related.

dot

SteamGAF which one would be better to get: Tales of Graces F or Digital Devil Saga 1? I don't think I'd be able to get both DDS right now though I'd want to. I'm leaning tales since apparently the physical copy is expensive and atlus does a lot of sales.

Note that I might be looking into getting Invisible Inc. early next month so can't spend too much at the moment, that last bit is also served to keep this post somewhat pc related.

Tales. I love that game.

DDS, it's not even a contest.

Dr Dogg

Great now I feel like replaying Witcher 2 again.

And damn I loved Iorveth as a character...

I feel bad as I never done a Iorveth playthrough. Though that's about to change!

I looooved this game on console. Is the PC version worth a go?

Apparently the franchise pack is $8.99. How is the PC version of the original, too? I never finished it on PS3.

Well my main gripe was it was 10 hours too long but that's in every version. It's a bare bones port so don't expect much in the options and whatever AA method they used is quite a big performance hit (might be MSAA thinking about it) but ran fine on my old PC so shouldn't be too much of an issue to middle of the road hardware these days.

man, really makes me want to play through it again. what a beautfiul game..

Still one of my favourite looking games in recent years. Although it's a bit spotty in places but I'm a picky so-and-so. I find 2 easier to get into as the early hump isn't anywhere as near as tedious as the firsts 2 hours in the swamp.

Is that vanilla or with mods?

Untouched, unfettled, goodness (though to be fair that's a crazy downsampled couple of pictures mind). Though I should go grab a couple of mods like EatChildren's foliage mod and there's a few other decent one over at the Nexus.

Both are very different as DDS is turn based combat with random encounters where as Graces is real time with enemies on the screen. Personally I don't get on with the Tales series but Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 I found fantastic from a gameplay and story point of view. Some great characters that get fleshed out in the first part and turned on it's head for the second.

MadGear

Witcher games are simply the best rpgs you can find after Planescape Torment.
I never saw a good plot like the one in Witcher 1.
The gameplay of W1 today is a bit rusty, there's one major location, the swamp, that is very boring to play, but the plot is amazing, well written too.

From Witcher 2 I liked the fact that, depending by your choices, act 2 will be totally different, with new NPC and new quests.

The only thing i really disliked about The Witcher 2 was the combat mechanic in the early hours of the game. At least for me (playing on hard) combat was more about rolling around (and throwing bombs) than swinging my swords and casting signs just to prevent getting overwhelmed by the almost always outnumbering enemies (i.e. that Melena quest ... way to many enemies at once for an early quest). I personally think that the early encounters would have been more fun with fewer but maybe slightly tougher enemies.

Ehhh, I think I'll hold off on DS2 actually. Apparently the PC port isn't a very good one, and I already got the platinum trophy on PS3. Pretty much the only reason I should get this is the DLC, and I don't recall hearing if it was any good.

Any of you guys played it on PC? What did you think of the port?

Played and finished the game close to release.

I only had to apply this fix and i could play the game maxed out 80+ fps with no performance issues or bugs.

Shadownet

Banned

What system are you buying it on? Tales of Graces is terrible outside of the combat. Even that wasn't enough to keep me playing. Get Tales of Vesperia if you have an Xbox 360, Tales of Xillia 1&2, Tales of Symphonia if you have a PS3. Tales of the Abyss if you have a 3DS.

Also Tales of Hearts is coming to The PS Vita, but you have to get it at GameStop though.

Any of the above is easily better than Graces F.

If you have a Vita. Get Persona 4 Golden if you haven't. I bought a Vita just for it after hearing the hype. Completely worth it.

Zafir

Do you care if the story is meh? DDS has the better story but slightly repetitive gameplay. Graces F has good less repetitive gameplay but a very mediocre cast/story. You will want both DDS games though as the first game is only half the story. Otherwise it's also turn based (dds) vs real time (tog) battle systems.

Terra_Ex

DDS would be my choice, it's a much better game overall. Graces has an excellent combat system and I didn't find the story/characters to be as intolerable as the rest of GAF apparently does, enjoyed it a lot more than Vesperia, which is supremely overrated in my eyes, all things considered.

Miguel81

It would be extremely convenient to have the Tales games on Steam. Bamco has that series spread out over so many systems, it's insane.

Ezalc

Do you care if the story is meh? DDS has the better story but slightly repetitive gameplay. Graces F has good less repetitive gameplay but a very mediocre cast/story. You will want both DDS games though as the first game is only half the story. Otherwise it's also turn based (dds) vs real time (tog) battle systems.

What system are you buying it on? Tales of Graces is terrible outside of the combat. Even that wasn't enough to keep me playing. Get Tales of Vesperia if you have an Xbox 360, Tales of Xillia 1&2, Tales of Symphonia if you have a PS3. Tales of the Abyss if you have a 3DS.

Also Tales of Hearts is coming to The PS Vita, but you have to get it at GameStop though.

Any of the above is easily better than Graces F.

If you have a Vita. Get Persona 4 Golden if you haven't. I bought a Vita just for it after hearing the hype. Completely worth it.

Both are very different as DDS is turn based combat with random encounters where as Graces is real time with enemies on the screen. Personally I don't get on with the Tales series but Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 I found fantastic from a gameplay and story point of view. Some great characters that get fleshed out in the first part and turned on it's head for the second.

DDS, it's not even a contest.

Tales. I love that game.

Some recommendations for both games here but it seems that the DDS games won out. I've never played a Tales game and from the looks of things symphonia, xilia and vesperia are better. I'll be sure to look those up at another time then. I would get Persona 4 Golden but I don't have a vita unfortunately. Thanks for the help guys!

Shadownet

Banned
Some recommendations for both games here but it seems that the DDS games won out. I've never played a Tales game and from the looks of things symphonia, xilia and vesperia are better. I'll be sure to look those up at another time then. I would get Persona 4 Golden but I don't have a vita unfortunately. Thanks for the help guys!

I work at GameStop. If you ever need to get your hands on a pre-owned Vita or PS3/360 to play a JRPG. I can help you out :)
I have 15% employee discount.

Hugstable

Banned

Get DDS, or Nocturne if you haven't played that. Both games are great and should be experienced for any RPG fan. Nocturne is especially good and has good bits for everything with good music, great dungeons, and a battle system that is fun, but still challenging.

MFatO2r.jpg

Also what is going on in Dark Souls 2. I thought I was better at these games, but Dark Souls 2 is killing me at every corner and basically laughing about it. I didn't even realize til like an hour ago that they brought back the downgraded health punishment -____-.

Ezalc

I work at GameStop. If you ever need to get your hands on a pre-owned Vita or PS3/360 to play a JRPG. I can help you out :)

I'll be sure to bother you in the future then ahahaha!

Nocturne is next up on the purchases list, but that will have to wait for another day.

This Paranormal Foil card (Manny the Mannequin) I have is a curse I must endure, I've lowered the price on it a dozen times and not even a single buy order for the card exist.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Unless the "Tales of" is followed by "Vesperia" or "Symphonia" (or whatever the Gamecube one was), always bet on SMT.

Ok, my crazy ass happens to be grinding to level 60 in TR2013 private solo matches (I hate you, Stallion)... and I decided to see if Shadowplay would grab SweetFX settings on capture (since Steam screen capture doesn't)...

Here are 3 videos showing the differences between SweetFX enabled and disabled on my PC:

When I disable SFX, it becomes more... washed out... almost like a fog/filter was over the screen... the SFX is also much darker/deeper in the dark areas, so it was a little hard to adjust to at first:

Benchmark
http://robotbrush.com/corrosivefrost/Tomb Raider (2013) 08.23.2014 - 13.39.32.03.mp4.converted.webm

Underground, Normal Gameplay:
http://robotbrush.com/corrosivefrost/Tomb Raider (2013) 08.23.2014 - 13.26.34.01.mp4.converted.webm

Underground, Explosion Triggered:
http://robotbrush.com/corrosivefrost/Tomb Raider (2013) 08.23.2014 - 13.37.11.02.mp4.converted.webm

Monooboe

DAILY DEAL:
Darksiders II ~85% off

2K DAILY DEAL:
Bioshock Infinite ~75% off
Bioshock Infinite Season Pass ~50% off < dafuq?
Bioshock Infinite + Season Pass ~70% off < oh the inconsistency

Yeah 2K kind of suck when it comes to good will towards their existing costumers. They used to have a Gold upgrade for CivV but they removed it. Been waiting for the DLC to Dishonored go on sale but they never do for more than 50%. With that said, good for those who never own any of their games, good prices on those GOTYs.

dot

Got Delver removed from my account. :( I am sad.

Of course no one ever listens to dot.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (WinterDemons, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Bionic Dues -- MB-6AB443B451375577 - Taken by fernandes. 2 entrants total.
Stealth Bastard Deluxe -- MB-D7F80C4868450AD0 - Taken by Sammichu. 1 entrants total.
Jack Lumber -- MB-52A7E40E0BDED5B3 - Taken by Ingueferroque. 1 entrants total.
Savant: Ascent -- MB-03373983BBA6BFFD - Taken by mik7697. 1 entrants total.

t1408817847z1.png

Also:
Hacker Evolution Duality -- MB-54BD8BDDF0FA8B75 - Taken by MillionStabs. 1 entrants total.
Ballpoint Universe -- MB-553B3A06F03E5DF8 - Taken by DizzyCrow. 1 entrants total.

Would have to bother you for Tales of Hearts R if it doesn't pop up at EBGames. :p

Deitus

Hahaha, that's awesome. Matador will fuck you up if you don't learn how to play early.

Also what is going on in Dark Souls 2. I thought I was better at these games, but Dark Souls 2 is killing me at every corner and basically laughing about it. I didn't even realize til like an hour ago that they brought back the downgraded health punishment -____-.

One of the harder adjustments to Dark Souls 2 is that you need to put points in adaptability to get decent invincibility frames when you roll. Early on I was just taking hit after hit that I thought I should have avoided. I think 20 adaptability is probably good for most players, a bit more might be helpful if you don't wear a lot of armor.

Outside of that, there are a lot more situations where you have to take on multiple enemies, compared to DS1 where you could almost always find a way to fight 1 on 1. You have to learn to deal with enemies in groups, or you are in for a world of hurt.

Unless the "Tales of" is followed by "Vesperia" or "Symphonia" (or whatever the Gamecube one was), always bet on SMT.

I really liked Abyss too, but betting on SMT is always good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom