• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, quick thing about Curse: The Eye of Isis;

header_292x136.jpg

I haven't played it myself, but I've heard from others it's pretty good. It's a Resident Evil clone game with an Egyptian mythological theme that takes place in a museum. I think it's worthwhile to mention when older horror titles hit Steam, and this is one of them I've recognized and need to try at some point (especially as I already own it). Generally for a Resident Evil clone, it's been recognized as a good one by horror fans, easier than the 'average' horror game, but also notable some improved controls from the era, decent voice acting from the era, pretty good music, and a pretty interesting story. Not in the amazing league, but the good league. But it's $2.99 right now, so...

I never thought I'd see this on Steam. Picked up right away, as well as Amerzone.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
What if you're asking the wrong people? What if the people you are asking are being asked by countless people every day? I wouldn't take it personally, you're just someone from the internet in the grand scheme of things.
Nah, Jase is right.

"We do not comment on future product" is common for the auto industry as well.

Deques

Do you mean for the main program itself, or for the "You're now in-game" box? I think I can make it happen with the in-game program, but probably not with Idle Master itself.

Of course, you can always use something like RBTray to accomplish this for either.

Would be nice for both, but if there is an application that does that then it would suffice too

Annubis

I tried playing Witcher 2 THREE times between release and now.
Every time I end up finishing Floatsam they releases this giant ass patch that changes the whole game... so I restart =/

I'm scared of even starting a fourth playthrough.
I might entice another awesome patch...

gabbo

I tried playing Witcher 2 THREE times between release and now.
Every time I end up finishing Floatsam they releases this giant ass patch that changes the whole game... so I restart =/

I'm scared of even starting a fourth playthrough.
I might entice another awesome patch...

Worth it. Just got grab the it if somehow you butterfly effect a patch again

Sendou

I still need to play Witcher 1 & 2. Got 3 pre-ordered but you know the whole thought of loading up Witcher 1 seems intimidating.

Dr Dogg

Goddamn I still need to play this game. I only got an hour or so in because it seemed really difficult. I kind of want to play the first one first anyway.

The Prologue got some difficulty tweaks in The Enhanced Edition of 2 (which everybody owns now regardless) which doesn't make it so brutal. The first is worth a playthrough if you can get past the opening and the weird rhythm style combat.

Still not sure if i'm going to replay Witcher 1 and 2 before 3 comes out.
The games just haven't grabbed me like the books have.

I haven't read any of the books so can't comment but I played the vanilla pre Directors Cut of the first and almost didn't bother with the series due to the awful translation and even worse voice acting. Though I'm glad I did as I find it one of the better 3D RPGs of recent years. Last time I played 2 it gave my setup at the time a real headache so I'm considering this latest attempt unfinished business.

3 sounds a little bit different in the approach with an open world but asides from side activities I'm not sure how 'open' it will be outside of the main quest line but I guess we'll see.

Hugstable

Banned
Witcher games are simply the best rpgs you can find after Planescape Torment.
I never saw a good plot like the one in Witcher 1.
The gameplay of W1 today is a bit rusty, there's one major location, the swamp, that is very boring to play, but the plot is amazing, well written too.

From Witcher 2 I liked the fact that, depending by your choices, act 2 will be totally different, with new NPC and new quests.

Yup Act II of Witcher 2 is one of the most amazing things, which basically lends the games to 2 playthroughs. Chapter 2 is also by far the longest chapter in the game and takes up over 40% of the gametime, and to have that be completely different based on a choice you make it Chapter 1 was great.

One day I will sit down and finish both witcher games; it's weird I actually want to like them but they haven't been able to hold my interest :s

Both games do take a bit of time to get into, especially Witcher 2 having a pretty slow start. I don't think I got addicted to playing Witcher 2 til around halfway through Chapter 1

AHA-Lambda

One day I will sit down and finish both witcher games; it's weird I actually want to like them but they haven't been able to hold my interest :s

Deitus

The issue people have with it isn't that they created a character with a lower skill floor, it's that they apparently felt the need to suggest which gender of player would need such a thing.

They could have just said that it was designed for players who want to enjoy the co-op aspect of the game but had a more casual play style than the rest of the group, and we all would have gotten the idea and suggested her to the appropriate people in our groups.

I agree that he worded it poorly, but I also don't think the way he described the girlfriend mode did not at all imply that it was designed for female players or that females are bad at games. But regardless, he could have worded it a lot better. It was a single guy in a single interview, and Gearbox immediately backed off from the wording and never referred to it as such again.

I just think it's a bit silly to still be harping on a poorly phrased line from a developer from 2 years ago, when the actual idea of having a newbie friendly option in a genre that is traditionally unfriendly to newcomers is actually really great.

I guess I'm in a pretty good place since I own every game on GMG's "50 games you must play before you die" list. And I've probably even played about 40 of them.

I have everything except NBA 2K13 and I strongly question it's inclusion in this list in the first place :p

MattyG

Banned
What are you guys thoughts on SweetFX? I have some friends who swear by it, use it on every game. But I installed it on Fallout 3 after about an hour of playing and it strated freezing on me. It may have been the ADS mod I installed at the same time, but I'm not sure.

Should I try it again on other games? Or is it kind of a preferance thing?

Nah, Jase is right.

"We do not comment on future product" is common for the auto industry as well.

I don't expect an answer as historically I've had mixed success when it comes to general enquiries. I just feel that some sort of acknowledgement should be considered a common courtesy rather than a tall order. I mean, if Bethesda can take the time to respond to my big ET:QW e-mail with "Thank you for your feedback" then surely a developer that needed Kickstarter for its current game can do the same. ;)

So you'd both be happy with a non-specific auto-generated response bot reply as 'acknowledgement'? Perhaps my own levels of self-worth are too low, as I've never really thought about it enough to get disgruntled over.

I personally find it a strange thing to worry over, but I appreciate it matters to some.

kiyomi

What are you guys thoughts on SweetFX? I have some friends who swear by it, use it on every game. But I installed it on Fallout 3 after about an hour of playing and it strated freezing on me. It may have been the ADS mod I installed at the same time, but I'm not sure.

I never even got it to work the one time I tried it, I should go back to it though. Just for AA purposes when GeDoSaTo doesn't work.

Go look at the shots for a game.
If you find a profile that makes the game look night and day different for you, then use it.

That's what I do.
Use the SweetFX 1.5.1 configurator and it will take some of the error prone nature of the files out. I had been trying to get Borderlands 2 to work with SweetFX at one point and the game wouldn't even start when I manually installed it. The other day, I used the configurator just to check it out and now I'm tweaked and looking mighty awesome. That reminds me, I should check out GeDoSaTo for Borderlands 2 while I'm at it and see about Downsampling some.

Examples of ones I thought were worthwhile:
http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/142/ (Borderlands 2)
http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/1570/ (Dark Souls 2 **not sure if this is the exact one I'm using)
http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/1225/ (Spelunky)
http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/199/ (Tomb Raider 2013)
http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/1243/ (Volgarr the Viking)

My problem with it is that it's a lot of effort to get it running well.
It's very machine specific as to the settings needed so you always need to tweak things a lot.

I prefer to play the game than mess around for hours to make it look prettier.

I have never really had this issue.
I import in configurator. If I like it and it looks good, I keep it. If it causes problems or I don't like it in motion, I deactivate it or try another profile. I have never sat there and tweaked a config file for SweetFX cause I feel too uninformed about how to actually make the settings matter.

That said, using the SweetFX Configurator makes it seem like it'd be a lot easier to tweak things too.

Annubis

My problem with it is that it's a lot of effort to get it running well.
It's very machine specific as to the settings needed so you always need to tweak things a lot.

I prefer to play the game than mess around for hours to make it look prettier.

DAILY DEAL:
Darksiders II ~85% off

2K DAILY DEAL:
Bioshock Infinite ~75% off
Bioshock Infinite Season Pass ~50% off < dafuq?
Bioshock Infinite + Season Pass ~70% off < oh the inconsistency

Dr Dogg

Sounds like me and the Dead Rising series. It has a lot of components that I like but I just don't seem to get on with them. Still tempted to have a look at 3 when it comes out next month but I've tried to finish the first about 4 times and the second I've bailed on about 5 playthroughs so might wait for a sale. Well that or the crazy Capcom Ultra Doodah DLC coming out.

I think the combat in the games are a real weakness. To be honest I'm really disappointed that the combat in 3 looks nearly identical to that in 2, especially given that I don't consider "You can go anywhere that you see!" to be much of a selling point.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So you'd both be happy with a non-specific auto-generated response bot reply as 'acknowledgement'? Perhaps my own levels of self-worth are too low, as I've never really thought about it enough to get disgruntled over.

I wouldn't say I'm disgruntled; if the post I responded to earlier hadn't brought it to mind, I wouldn't even be thinking about it. "I would appreciate it if more publishers made an effort to respond" is the gist of what I've said. Nothing more.

DAILY DEAL:
Darksiders II ~85% off

Nice, now to buy the Complete Pack so I can get the DS2 OST DLC.

MattyG

Banned
Ehhh, I think I'll hold off on DS2 actually. Apparently the PC port isn't a very good one, and I already got the platinum trophy on PS3. Pretty much the only reason I should get this is the DLC, and I don't recall hearing if it was any good.

Any of you guys played it on PC? What did you think of the port?

Ehhh, I think I'll hold off on DS2 actually. Apparently the PC port isn't a very good one, and I already got the platinum trophy on PS3. Pretty much the only reason I should get this is the DLC, and I don't recall hearing if it was any good.
DS2 is a good port, a freaking awesome one for Japanese standards, plug in a controller and you are good to roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom