• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Ok, my crazy ass happens to be grinding to level 60 in TR2013 private solo matches (I hate you, Stallion)... and I decided to see if Shadowplay would grab SweetFX settings on capture (since Steam screen capture doesn't)...

Here are 3 videos showing the differences between SweetFX enabled and disabled on my PC:

When I disable SFX, it becomes more... washed out... almost like a fog/filter was over the screen... the SFX is also much darker/deeper in the dark areas, so it was a little hard to adjust to at first:

Benchmark
http://robotbrush.com/corrosivefrost/Tomb Raider (2013) 08.23.2014 - 13.39.32.03.mp4.converted.webm

Underground, Normal Gameplay:
http://robotbrush.com/corrosivefrost/Tomb Raider (2013) 08.23.2014 - 13.26.34.01.mp4.converted.webm

Underground, Explosion Triggered:
http://robotbrush.com/corrosivefrost/Tomb Raider (2013) 08.23.2014 - 13.37.11.02.mp4.converted.webm

I definitely prefer the normal look.
Same for some of the screenshots comparison posted earlier for Borderlands 2.
The normal look feels more washed out compared to the SweetFX look but also more... natural, in a way.

Hugstable

Banned
Hahaha, that's awesome. Matador will fuck you up if you don't learn how to play early.

One of the harder adjustments to Dark Souls 2 is that you need to put points in adaptability to get decent invincibility frames when you roll. Early on I was just taking hit after hit that I thought I should have avoided. I think 20 adaptability is probably good for most players, a bit more might be helpful if you don't wear a lot of armor.

Outside of that, there are a lot more situations where you have to take on multiple enemies, compared to DS1 where you could almost always find a way to fight 1 on 1. You have to learn to deal with enemies in groups, or you are in for a world of hurt.

I really liked Abyss too, but betting on SMT is always good advice.

Sweet thanks for the tip, will start throwing points in ADP for now, hopefully it'll help alot more. It's so hard getting used to the fact that I have such very few Estus Flasks coming off the first game and having 20 by the end. Having 2 seems so little and I'm just barely getting anywhere before I even need to use them. Plus Lifegems are like 300 souls each and I only seem to find them off regular loot every once in awhile.

And yeah Matador is really awesome boss since he basically forces you to learn about elemental resistances and what they do in the press turn system, as well as start showing why evasion or defense buffs are king. It's pretty nice that they give you all the tools you need right before you fight him though, just gotta make sure you're fusing right and constantly taming demons and fusing them.

Graces f has one of the most unlikeable casts I've ever encountered. Not to mention that the writing is really flat, boring, and largely devoid of any decent humor. The story is really generic as well, and will probably have you cringing multiple times through your playthrough.

On the flip side, the battle system is pretty good, and the music is pretty good as well. In my opinion, though, Vesperia was the last Tales game that really had almost everything going for it (chronologically, there were some good ones before it). Graces f has a lot of "well this is good, but this is really not good" going on, and unfortunately the "not good" parts are pretty integral to the game, thus ruining the experience to some degree or another.

Graces at least had Pascal and Malik! But yeah every other character was incredibly unlikeable. I think it's funny in Graces... the worse the character is, the more easy they are to play, as well as being overpowered. Only 2 good characters the whole game and they are the hardest to play with!

Unless the "Tales of" is followed by "Vesperia" or "Symphonia" (or whatever the Gamecube one was) [...]
BZkgGLj.gif

Graces f has one of the most unlikeable casts I've ever encountered. Not to mention that the writing is really flat, boring, and largely devoid of any decent humor. The story is really generic as well, and will probably have you cringing multiple times through your playthrough.

On the flip side, the battle system is pretty good, and the music is pretty good as well. In my opinion, though, Vesperia was the last Tales game that really had almost everything going for it (chronologically, there were some good ones before it). Graces f has a lot of "well this is good, but this is really not good" going on, and unfortunately the "not good" parts are pretty integral to the game, thus ruining the experience to some degree or another.

Ok, my crazy ass happens to be grinding to level 60 in TR2013 private solo matches (I hate you, Stallion)... and I decided to see if Shadowplay would grab SweetFX settings on capture (since Steam screen capture doesn't)...

Here are 3 videos showing the differences between SweetFX enabled and disabled on my PC:

When I disable SFX, it becomes more... washed out... almost like a fog/filter was over the screen... the SFX is also much darker/deeper in the dark areas, so it was a little hard to adjust to at first:

Benchmark
http://robotbrush.com/corrosivefrost/Tomb Raider (2013) 08.23.2014 - 13.39.32.03.mp4.converted.webm

http://robotbrush.com/corrosivefrost/Tomb Raider (2013) 08.23.2014 - 13.26.34.01.mp4.converted.webm

http://robotbrush.com/corrosivefrost/Tomb Raider (2013) 08.23.2014 - 13.37.11.02.mp4.converted.webm
Hmm, not working on chrome, for some reason, even when opening the links in a new tab. On firefox it opens just fine.

Oh, it seems just a browser restart fixed it.
I guess it really depends on the game, if i'll end up using it or not. I mostly play the games vanilla, sweetfx wise, and if i see something interesting on the Screenshot thread, i download the presets.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I've made some great progress on Stick of Truth today. I'm proud of myself. Tackling that backlog feels good.

Wok

I already own the game... I am trying to give it to Modbot.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Wok:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Orbital Gear -- MB-EBCBC52FF654C087 - Taken by Hugstable

liezryou

So whilst searching for an old steam support email, i actually found an email warning me my wallet was going to be changed to yen:

平素よりSteam をご利用いただきありがとうございます。

Steam の価格が日本円に変わります!

2014年8月20日の時点で、ご利用のSteam アカウントのSteam ウォレットに残高がある場合、

当日の交換レートに基づきアメリカドルから日本円に変換されます。

ウォレットの残高を確認するには、Steam クライアントあるいはSteam ウェブサイト(http://www.steampowered.com?l=japan...2390;ください。

右上角に位置するアカウント名の横に表示されます。

Steam サポートチーム

https://support.steampowered.com/index.php?l=japanese

Dear Steam User,

Steam will soon be priced in Japanese Yen!

If your Steam wallet has any money in it on August 20th, 2014, your U.S. Dollar balance will be converted to Yen, at a conversion rate dictated by market value at the time of conversion.

To view your account balance, simply log into your Steam client or the Steam website at http://www.steampowered.com. Once you have logged in, you will see your balance in the upper-right corner next to your account name.

Thanks,

The Steam Support Team

http://support.steampowered.com

Musta missed it through all the transactions paypal and steam market keep emailing for. Do they really have to email me for every 20c transaction?

Shadownet

Banned
Unless the "Tales of" is followed by "Vesperia" or "Symphonia" (or whatever the Gamecube one was), always bet on SMT.
It was Symphonia. Literally the game that brought attention to the Tales franchise over in the US. No one knew about Tales before that.

Depends...
Graces F has the best combat system up to now.
Sadly, it has a super cheesy story.
"The power of Friendship!"

Would have to bother you for Tales of Hearts R if it doesn't pop up at EBGames. :p

EB Games is owned by GameStop. So Tales of Hearts will be coming there. Here's a link to it.
I can help you buy it but with shipping fee. Depends on how far away you lives. It might not be worth it.

Genki

So whilst searching for an old steam support email, i actually found an email warning me my wallet was going to be changed to yen:

Musta missed it through all the transactions paypal and steam market keep emailing for. Do they really have to email me for every 20c transaction?

Maybe you can answer this. So I'm moving to Japan for half a year soon. Will I be able to just keep purchasing stuff(from the Japanese storefront) as normal while there?

Anteater

Just finished guacamelee turbo, last dungeon is still the best dungeon of the game imo, no changes to the last bosses however so they're still kind of lame and the weakest bosses the entire game.

Don't know if I should finish off the optional stuff.

Hugstable

Banned
It was Symphonia. Literally the game that brought attention to the Tales franchise over in the US. No one knew about Tales before that.

I still love Tales of Eternia!!! We still had 2 tales games come out before Symphonia came out lol.

Just finished guacamelee turbo, last dungeon is still the best dungeon of the game imo, no changes to the last bosses however so they're still kind of lame and the weakest bosses the entire game.

Don't know if I should finish off the optional stuff.

Hearing that the new dungeon is good is awesome, just picked up the game now. Guacamelee replay sometime soon should be fun.

Sounds like me and the Dead Rising series. It has a lot of components that I like but I just don't seem to get on with them. Still tempted to have a look at 3 when it comes out next month but I've tried to finish the first about 4 times and the second I've bailed on about 5 playthroughs so might wait for a sale. Well that or the crazy Capcom Ultra Doodah DLC coming out.

Having played all 3, I liked DR1 and DR3, but not 2. I thought DR3 had enough of its own fresh flavor to be enjoyable again. I usually tire of open world games, but mowing through streets crowded with zombies in a modified vehicle of death does not really get old.

Sajjaja

Wow, some people still playing Lead and Gold. I counted about 15ish people. We really should do a games night for that. Such an underrated gem.

Don't know why I pre-ordered the Graces f back then. It's the first Tales game I bought and it still sits on my shelf, unplayed. Too bad there wasn't a PS3 version of Vesperia at the same time the 360 version released.

Along with a Steam backlog, I have an eternal console backlog.

"The power of Friendship!"

EB Games is owned by GameStop. So Tales of Hearts will be coming there. Here's a link to it.
I can help you buy it but with shipping fee. Depends on how far away you lives. It might not be worth it.

EBGames is pretty slow at updating their website so I end up forgetting about a game until way past its release date, haha. I live on the west coast of Canada so with inflated prices, it'll probably come to a little over $50, probably would roughly be the same shipped.

kiyomi

Playing Bioshock 1 properly, I originally owned it on PS3 but only got 1-2 hours in and wasn't really digging the way it played/felt, even though I loved the atmosphere. Seeing it run on PC is very refreshing and it still looks damned nice in 2014, with the help of a little downsampling. The FOV fix is real nice too, it was kinda hard to play with such narrow vision.

I just reached Farmer's Market and the variety of locations is kind of what is surprising me, yes, they are tied together with the same overarching design sensibilities of Rapture, but each area feels distinct enough to keep things fresh. I'm still not in love with the way this game plays, mostly because the combat rarely feels satisfying (especially the shotgun, wtf.), but it's really starting to grow on me, and that is mostly down to the atmosphere/presentation, and of course the snippets of fiction trickled out in the recordings.

I own all 3 Bioshock games on PC, should I bother with 2? Enjoying this first one makes me kinda want to skip to Infinite. I know 2 is meant to be okay, but nothing special, either.

Oh also Tales of Graces f. Best combat system in a JRPG for a long time.

liezryou

Maybe you can answer this. So I'm moving to Japan for half a year soon. Will I be able to just keep purchasing stuff(from the Japanese storefront) as normal while there?

Not sure... i know you won't be able to purchase using your steam wallet unless it is in Yen. Paypal, etc may be a different story.

MattyG

Banned
Playing Bioshock 1 properly, I originally owned it on PS3 but only got 1-2 hours in and wasn't really digging the way it played/felt, even though I loved the atmosphere. Seeing it run on PC is very refreshing and it still looks damned nice in 2014, with the help of a little downsampling. The FOV fix is real nice too, it was kinda hard to play with such narrow vision.

I just reached Farmer's Market and the variety of locations is kind of what is surprising me, yes, they are tied together with the same overarching design sensibilities of Rapture, but each area feels distinct enough to keep things fresh. I'm still not in love with the way this game plays, mostly because the combat rarely feels satisfying (especially the shotgun, wtf.), but it's really starting to grow on me, and that is mostly down to the atmosphere/presentation, and of course the snippets of fiction trickled out in the recordings.

I own all 3 Bioshock games on PC, should I bother with 2? Enjoying this first one makes me kinda want to skip to Infinite. I know 2 is meant to be okay, but nothing special, either.

I would recommend that you play Infinite and then 2, but that's just me. A lot of people seem to hate Infinite lately, but I still love it.

Anteater

Hearing that the new dungeon is good is awesome, just picked up the game now. Guacamelee replay sometime soon should be fun.

They're decent, if you're going to replay it for the first time I think you're in for a treat :D because I think there're enough new contents and it took me 7-8hrs to beat it, although I did back track for chests for a few areas.

Grief.exe

2 has the best overall gameplay of the series, and Minerva's Den has the best content.

I liked 2 more. There are added mechanics that make it more fun. Plus, it has Minerva's Den.

Grief.exe

Having some serious frame rate issues DMC

Game runs fine, then randomly starts shugging around the 10 FPS range. These generally seem to begin when a pre-rendered video is played.

Shadownet

Banned
EBGames is pretty slow at updating their website so I end up forgetting about a game until way past its release date, haha. I live on the west coast of Canada so with inflated prices, it'll probably come to a little over $50, probably would roughly be the same shipped.

Vesperia was released in Japan including a bunch of new content. Too bad it was never release to us gaijin. But we can keep on hoping.

If you ever need anything that I can get you where the shipping cost will not be more than what you buy. Then i'll be here to help you out :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They'll try anything to get people to play that damn game, I initially liked it in the early beta phase but lost any interest in the final release, just doesn't have enough interesting stuff to keep playing.

The major problem is the P2W and map design.

But putting that in your review will get you buried on Steam community.

Yakkue

I finally went and played The Cave.
I really wish I didn’t listen to the rather lacklustre impressions I heard when it first came out, because I enjoyed my time with it immensely.

The Cave is basically a Point and Click adventure with more engaging controls and a very simplified puzzle system. You first choose 3 out of 7 playable characters (a throwback to Maniac Mansion I assume) and then explore a talking cave with them. While I really liked that there was an equal balance of male and female characters, it kind of sucks that you have to play through the game with 2 characters twice to see the ending for everyone. It also doesn’t help that you have to replay the sections that lie between the character specific ones every time (though that wasn’t as tedious as I feared on my second playthrough, I think I’m going to wait a bit before I finish with the adventurer). The character specific sections are pretty much the best parts. They are really well done and a lot of fun to explore. First, I played through it with the Twins, the Scientist and the Hillbilly and next finished it with the Monk, the Knight and the Time Traveller. I left the Adventurer for last, because she seemed to be the least interesting to me, but I may as well have misjudged that. I can’t quite choose which characters I enjoyed the most, because they were pretty much all great so far. I think I might have to choose the Time Traveller, if only because I liked the puzzle very much (reminded me a lot of DotT).
UbqYMWI.png

The puzzles in general felt a bit overly simple for my taste. Like the gift shop clerk tells you: “It’s not even really a puzzle! More of a simple object interaction and a short walk.” That pretty much sums up a lot of the puzzle-solving you have to do. The game still manages to be really enjoyable, but I can’t help but wish for an inventory of sorts (or at least the ability to carry not one, but two items at a time), to make the puzzles a bit more challenging.
I loved the narration of The Cave and wished there was more of it. The dialogue of other characters you encounter is also very well done. But I kind of wish that the characters would react to their surroundings sometimes, I think that would have added a lot of life to them. I also liked that, depending on which character you have with you, there are different solutions to some puzzles. That adds a bit of variety through multiple playthroughs.
The visuals, the atmosphere and the music of the game are top notch, I don’t have a single complaint about them. Gameplay-wise, I sometimes wished there was a button to call all your characters to the same place (that happens automatically at checkpoints, but I’d have liked to be able to do this manually). I think that wasn’t included so the player wouldn’t call everyone together and then realise "Oops, I really should have left that character up there, now I need to go back again :(". It would still be very useful for replaying it though.
7mHAKxq.png

One of my favourite things about this game is the attention to detail. There was so much thought put into all the backgrounds and stuff you’d normally just run past. I encountered quite a lot of references during my playtime, here are some I found:
From earlier games:
- Chuck the plant
- An Island Hermit with his parrot
- A monkey that follows you around when you give him a banana
- A dead Clown, which the narrator (or was it the gift shop clerk?) calls annoying
- New Grog Machines
- A chopper motorcycle buried in the ground (Full Throttle)
- A pool of water that has the nuclear reactor from Maniac Mansion in it
Others:
- Wilhelm Scream when you kill one of the Scientists
- A "Flamey-Wamey" Torch in the Knight’s section
I’m sure there were more, but I can’t think of any others at the moment.
Overall I had a ton of fun with the game, and I’m sure I’ll continue doing so on my further playthroughs to get all of the endings (There are 2 endings for every character, so it’s a minimum of 5 playthroughs to see everything). There are a couple of things that could have improved some parts of the experience, especially on replays. It would have been nice to be able to skip at least parts of the repeated puzzle sections (you actually can
skip the Zoo
but I didn’t find anything else). But really, the game is great as it is. It is kind of sad to think that a lot of people will only beat the game once and miss 4 character sections completely, since those are easily the most fun part.
0eCU9H6.png

For those who already played it:
What were your favourite characters? And did you find any references I missed?

Vesperia was released in Japan including a bunch of new content. Too bad it was never release to us gaijin. But we can keep on hoping.

If you ever need anything that I can get you where the shipping cost will not be more than what you buy. Then i'll be here to help you out :)

Hope it'll be release one day. (Maybe a surprise release before Zestiria, lol)

Thank you for the offer! Will keep it in mind if I find anything. :)

Game runs fine, then randomly starts shugging around the 10 FPS range. These generally seem to begin when a pre-rendered video is played.
Using D3DOverrider? i remember that some games even crash here when it's running. Worst case scenario, it could be your drivers. try fully removing your driver and installing again.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Orbital Gear -- MB-F00FA53147FF66C8 - Taken by Andrefpvs. 5 entrants total.

t1408821027z1.png

Benchmark
I assume the ones with SweetFX are those where the skin color gets more red-ish? It looks way better. The other one is too grey. But I couldn't see any other improvements like DoF, HBAO etc. I thought SweetFX add those, too?
--
Darksiders franchise for 2 keys at dispenser.tf
...In case anyone is interested
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9VazZ4dxQ...g/skk_fAM0ZKM/s400/brian-kuh-disappointed.jpg
I got a huge grin on my face now. But I am sad no one else seems to get it.
Obligatory sick reference bro!
--
So, I made a small mistake. A week ago I learned that crafting badges during sales give special cards. After that I started decking out my existing sets and on top of that I bought five full card sets of CS:GO. Short time later CS:GO goes on sale and I buy it. Now, after some idling I get couple cards naturally. But I realize I have more cards than max. badge needs. Can I craft after reaching Level 5?

Nabs

I would get garbled audio and skipping video during cutscenes. It happened a few times in Remember Me as well.

Dr Dogg

Having played all 3, I liked DR1 and DR3, but not 2. I thought DR3 had enough of its own fresh flavor to be enjoyable again. I usually tire of open world games, but mowing through streets crowded with zombies in a modified vehicle of death does not really get old.

I'm tempted and Jawmuncher has giving it a seal of approval. I'm going to hold off and wait for some user impressions on the quality of the port. One thing I do like the sound of is there's less pressure about doing stuff to a set schedule and lots of opportunities to goof off.

What DmC Devil May Cry? Yeah prerendered cutscenes are at 30fps (compressed to shit and at 1280x720 too) and when loading can chug a bit (good old BINK video!). There aren't too many but it's used for the intro, some scene transitions and I think at least one boss encounter. Game itself it stupidly lightweight and shouldn't cause too much headaches on even a modest system from the past 4 years.

derExperte

oh shit just 73 bundles more and we get bloodrayne 2!

For GOG.

So, I made a small mistake. A week ago I learned that crafting badges during sales give special cards. After that I started decking out my existing sets and on top of that I bought five full card sets of CS:GO. Short time later CS:GO goes on sale and I buy it. Now, after some idling I get couple cards naturally. But I realize I have more cards than max. badge needs. Can I craft after reaching Level 5?

No, you'll have to sell them. lvl5 + lvl1 foil badge.

Momentary

Banned
Just finished Mortal Kombat's Story mode and I have to say, I was impressed how they handled it aside from it's cheesiness, compressed sound, compressed video. More fighting games should follow suit, instead of trying to have this whole "hey everyone will be back in the sequel for no reason." They made a real canon story-line that looks like it's being followed with MKX. I'm sure there will be non-canon characters added for fans, but hell at least you don't have to guess what the hell really happened unlike other fighters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom