• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiyomi

Ok, my crazy ass happens to be grinding to level 60 in TR2013 private solo matches (I hate you, Stallion)... and I decided to see if Shadowplay would grab SweetFX settings on capture (since Steam screen capture doesn't)...

Here are 3 videos showing the differences between SweetFX enabled and disabled on my PC:

When I disable SFX, it becomes more... washed out... almost like a fog/filter was over the screen... the SFX is also much darker/deeper in the dark areas, so it was a little hard to adjust to at first:

Benchmark
http://robotbrush.com/corrosivefrost/Tomb Raider (2013) 08.23.2014 - 13.39.32.03.mp4.converted.webm

Underground, Normal Gameplay:
http://robotbrush.com/corrosivefrost/Tomb Raider (2013) 08.23.2014 - 13.26.34.01.mp4.converted.webm

Underground, Explosion Triggered:
http://robotbrush.com/corrosivefrost/Tomb Raider (2013) 08.23.2014 - 13.37.11.02.mp4.converted.webm

Is anybody still actually playing that? I wanted to try it out after I finished the SP a week ago and there was absolutely nobody around.

Andrefpvs

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Orbital Gear -- MB-F00FA53147FF66C8 - Taken by Andrefpvs. 5 entrants total.

t1408821027z1.png

Thanks, Anonybro!

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Indie gala Extras :
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kagemusha, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.

Rocketbirds Hardboiled Chicken -- MB-CCE45BC330F97120 - Taken by fuzzy123. 2 entrants total.
Restaurant Empire II -- MB-EC4C8B353C247ECB - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN
-_-

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing the Distance beta today, and the game's good. It's very similar to Nitronic Rush, or at least to how I remember the latter being, and that's a good thing in my opinion. Sadly it runs pretty choppy on my PC, with micro freezes every now and then. Those are terrible when aiming for a low time. No idea if that's the game's fault or my old computer (probably the latter), but it kinda ruins the mood.

Adventure mode is very short, but there's a message in the end saying it's still unfinished. Multiplayer ran VERY slow, probably due to a mixture of my PC and internet connection. The other single player modes include time attack (just like in NR), score attack (try to get as many points as possible in a given time), time/score attack (like the first mode, but points will make the timer go down in the end) and challenge (no checkpoints, one live only, Final Destination). It also has Workshop support, which is always great, and comes with a level editor. I'm really glad with how the game turned out to be, even if it seems a bit short on official tracks at the moment and my rig can't handle it well.

Oh, and I also tried LocoCycle. It's bizarre, that's for sure. And it also runs like crap, so it may be time to get a new PC soon.

ViviOggi

Not sure if it's been posted before but Humble Bundle now shows unused keys on the bottom of your profile page, had I a few.

Thanks for the heads up. Here's some spares:

ModBot said:
Instructions for ViviOggi:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ViviOggi, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Closure -- MB-CB167087ABA2B474 - Taken by Benedict. 6 entrants total.
The Binding of Isaac Plus Wrath of the Lamb DLC -- MB-9938639CDA527DFE - Taken by Blak_Status. 6 entrants total.
The Basement Collection -- MB-C6805798E92D206B - Taken by WinterDemons. 5 entrants total.
Indie Game: The Movie -- MB-858B1AB3EEE9817E - Taken by Vazduh. 8 entrants total.
Offspring Fling -- MB-E8FC632B6DB84B7B - Taken by SSPssp. 1 entrants total.
Cave Story Plus -- MB-603AC75E99D4FE66 - Taken by KingDirk. 3 entrants total.

t1408837827z1.png

JakeD

a few people in the steam forums fixed technical problems for their bloodrayne installs by replacing their exe with the gog version. it seems to be more stable. i'm also glad it's a gog key because thats where i have the first one ;)

Zafir

I've been playing the Distance beta today, and the game's good. It's very similar to Nitronic Rush, or at least to how I remember the latter being, and that's a good thing in my opinion. Sadly it runs pretty choppy on my PC, with micro freezes every now and then. Those are terrible when aiming for a low time. No idea if that's the game's fault or my old computer (probably the latter), but it kinda ruins the mood.

Adventure mode is very short, but there's a message in the end saying it's still unfinished. Multiplayer ran VERY slow, probably due to a mixture of my PC and internet connection. The other single player modes include time attack (just like in NR), score attack (try to get as many points as possible in a given time), time/score attack (like the first mode, but points will make the timer go down in the end) and challenge (no checkpoints, one live only, Final Destination). It also has Workshop support, which is always great, and comes with a level editor. I'm really glad with how the game turned out to be, even if it seems a bit short on official tracks at the moment and my rig can't handle it well.

Oh, and I also tried LocoCycle. It's bizarre, that's for sure. And it also runs like crap, so it may be time to get a new PC soon.

I wasn't getting any stuttering when I tried out Distance, so I'd imagine it is your PC unfortunately. :(

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Orbital Gear -- MB-9976DD294D804283 - Taken by Gunstarheroes
LIMBO -- MB-0D4FE5A81FA842E9 - Taken by Sammichu

Corpekata

Banned
ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Corpekata, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Puddle -- MB-580C175E0FF05C89 - Taken by KainXVIII. 13 entrants total.
Guacamelee! Gold Edition -- MB-9E52B624BA3DE000 - Taken by t0rment. 3 entrants total.
Two Brothers -- MB-E951A61DC6816BFD

t1408839627z1.png

Some more extras

Deitus

So I "won" Real Horror Stories from Dusk Golem earlier in the week, and he requested that I play it and give impressions, so here goes:

I went into this game knowing almost nothing other than it was supposedly bad. Turns out... yeah it's really bad.

Basically, you start in a dark forest and there are a couple of things on the screen you can click on. You click on them and they make vaguely spooky sounds. Then you think maybe there is something else to click on... nope nothing else. So you click on the first couple of things again and the same things happen. Repeat enough times and something "scary" happens like a shadow running across the screen accompanied by loud noises. There is really no indication that you are doing anything right, you just keep clicking on the same objects until something happens, and if you do this enough times more spooky stuff happens, and you eventually move on to the next level. Except when that doesn't work, because this time you need to click on a specific thing, or click on things in a specific order without the game giving you any indication this is the case, so you are just clicking the same thing over and over like a moron because it worked last time, but now it's not working. At the end of the game, you are given a choice: left or right. There is no indication what this does, what is different between the two, or even if you are making a choice. Both look identical. But if you choose one you get the bad ending and you get the good ending from choosing the other. Supposedly there is a third ending, but I wasn't going to play anymore to find out.

There are a few puzzle segments. Most are simple things like "assemble these shreds of a newspaper article" or "click the symbols in the order they light up like a game of Simon". But then there are a bunch of annoying and obscure puzzles. What's especially annoying is that some of the puzzles are pure trial and error, but when you make a mistake you have to start all the way over at the beginning. Not that the puzzles are long, but it just adds to the frustration. Frankly, by the end I was just getting fed up so I looked up the solutions, and I actually like puzzle games.

As for scares, they are all pretty lame. It's pretty much all jump scares. There are a bunch of dead bodies and blood stains all over the place, and many of these are the objects you have to click on to advance. You get a lot of shadows running across the screen with loud noises, some growling sound effects, and sometimes ghosts or dead bodies rush towards the screen before suddenly disappearing. There is gore, severed heads, dead children, and at least one ritual sacrifice, so I guess it's not for the squeamish. The sound effects are really cheesy, and don't really sound like anything real. But ultimately I didn't find anything particularly scary. I was startled a bit by the loud noises and sudden movements on screen I guess, in the same way I would be if someone threw something at me without warning me first. But then I was hardly playing in optimal circumstances for horror (during the day, with daylight streaming in the windows).

Also, there are spiders, so this game is not suitable for Zkylon.

Ultimately, it's a bad game, don't play it. I suppose there are worse games out there, and maybe if jump scares interest you, you might find something of value in this. I did not. I give this game a Bad/10

Lain

I have a question before I purchase the Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition + Guacamelee Gold Original Soundtrack pack if anyone knows. Is the OST the exact same as the one provided with Humble Indie Bundle 11?

JustinBB7

Badum

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:

Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition -- MB-7152B32A3B26F772
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - Complete Pack -- MB-ACAD12413F55B3CF - Taken by pahamrick. 9 entrants total.
Deadlight -- MB-9B4C1184748ED3B6 - Taken by maneil99. 5 entrants total.

t1408839987z1.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Crypt of the Necrodancer -- MB-C51C600E5AC4DA45 - Taken by swx. 28 entrants total.

t1408830687z1.png

Kagemusha

Raffle
ModBot said:
Three from Lazy Boys
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Kagemusha, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.

Major Mayhem -- MB-2178351E0B6B980E - Taken by L.O.R.D. 2 entrants total.
Knytt Underground -- MB-110D0DE3423B0F96 - Taken by Vastag. 4 entrants total.
Ballpoint Universe -- MB-FCD03440C6700E0A - Taken by NightmareTrigger. 1 entrants total.

t1408840227z1.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just got a booster pack for a no-name game whose cards are worthless, but the least valuable booster pack on the market was $1.75. I undercut to $1.50 because that price was nonsense and I'd rather close the sale than maximize my profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom