• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale 2016 Thread: Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for Christmas Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helznicht

I hope it's OK to bump this, I didn't get too many responses.

Although over slightly over $5, Terraria and Starbound come to mind. There is also Brawlhalla thats FTP with lots of characters to start off with. Lots of free minecraft clones out there he would probably have a lot of fun with (Trove, Creativerse, Roblox(not Steam) )

fenners

I hope it's OK to bump this, I didn't get too many responses.

I've got kids in the same age range, and I make them play on my old PC. The games they like? Terraria, Cat Goes Fishing, Mini Metro, Octodad. Sandbox vs single player is a hard mix. There's a lot of BAD sandbox games out there.

If he hasn't already got Terraria, give me a PM.

rtcn63

FFXV reviews drop tomorrow right? I've been reading the marked spoiler thread and... this should be interesting.

FFXV |OT| Noctural Emissions

Miletius

Is Wolfenstein NO worth playing compared to Doom 2016?

Absolutely. It's a good game that isn't quite as good as Doom 2016, but has satisfying gunplay throughout. It is a more grounded game but ultimately very enjoyable.

There are a few areas that drag a bit, but overall the game is great.

clav

TNO has an actual, thought-out campaign IIRC

Do its mechanics bog down the game? I think the whole ammo pick up thing could be bothersome compared to Doom's gameplay of guns blazing without worrying about that.

Absolutely. It's a good game that isn't quite as good as Doom 2016, but has satisfying gunplay throughout. It is a more grounded game but ultimately very enjoyable.

There are a few areas that drag a bit, but overall the game is great.

OK. I might pick it up although since I've held off this long to play it, maybe I could wait more.

Do its mechanics bog down the game? I think the whole ammo pick up thing could be bothersome compared to Doom's gameplay of guns blazing without worrying about that.

OK. I might pick it up although since I've held off this long to play it, maybe I could wait more.
Doom is worse pacing wise, in tno you don't have to worry about upgrades since it's all automatic in doom you have to waste time going to menu to spend points and crap that is just so inconsistent with the normal ethos of id games

WhiteWolf

How does Brutal Legend play on PC? Can I use an Xbox One controller without any issues? I got it way back when it released on the 360, but never got around to finishing it.

Eblo

How does Brutal Legend play on PC? Can I use an Xbox One controller without any issues? I got it way back when it released on the 360, but never got around to finishing it.

I just played it a couple months ago, runs perfectly well. I used a Steam Controller, but I believe Steam Controller inputs work just like X360 controller inputs, so presumably an XB1 controller would work just as well.

clav

Doom is worse pacing wise, in tno you don't have to worry about upgrades since it's all automatic in doom you have to waste time going to menu to spend points and crap that is just so inconsistent with the normal ethos of id games

Hm, but you don't have to worry about pressing buttons to pick up ammo. That kinda goes against the classic Wolfenstein 3D philosophy when players can just run over items.

They are both worth playing. Some of the best FPS campaigns in recent years.

I'll wait until Doom is in the same price range. They do look like excellent games.

great game. the old blood is awesome as well.

Heard it wasn't worth picking up. What's your take?

Drayco21

Thinking about going in on the Star Wars Collection pack, since I only have KOTOR 2 and the first Dark Forces on Steam, and I've been pretty nostalgic for old Star Wars games lately.

Though maybe it would just be better to pick up Jedi Knight/Academy, Republic Commando and Battlefront 2 for like half the price?

Imur

Don't Starve? Scrap Mechanic looks neat, costs more though.

Even I'm too stupid to achieve anything in that game and I'm into gaming for over 20 years. I don't really know if an 8 year old could do it. Maybe he can because he doesn't go 'fuck that shit' after 2 hours of achieving nothing. But:

Usually anything that isn't too punishing (or can be dialed down), is accessible,(...) seems to capture his attention, although he usually ends up dropping titles when he gets stumped.

So..no. Don't buy Don't Starve.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

There is also Brawlhalla thats FTP with lots of characters to start off with. Lots of free minecraft clones out there he would probably have a lot of fun with (Trove, Creativerse, Roblox(not Steam) )

These seem reliant on online interactions, something I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with. I'll give them a look, though. Thank you!

Don't Starve?
I think I'm going to get him Terraria, and see how he feels about these kind of games from there. I can't remember from the last time I played, is Don't Starve particularly gratuitous, or does it take a more cartoony approach to its themes?

Hm, are the Costume Quest games accessible RPGs? He got really deep into FNaF World, and I could tell it was for more than the characters.

Cat Goes Fishing, Mini Metro, Octodad

Scrap Mechanic looks neat, costs more though.

These look great. Thank you!

Got DOOM on PS4 and beat it about a month ago, loved it... getting a new PC in the next week or two and thinking about buying DOOM again lol. Ugh it was too good and now the chance to play again looking even prettier!? -must resist-

I don't even like shooters!

Anteater

Got DOOM on PS4 and beat it about a month ago, loved it... getting a new PC in the next week or two and thinking about buying DOOM again lol. Ugh it was too good and now the chance to play again looking even prettier!? -must resist-

I don't even like shooters!

I should go and finish that game, it's taking 70gig of my hdd space ಠ_ಠ

pa22word

i don't like the evil within

it's like re4 with stupid modern scripted poo and stealth whatever you can add to it

not to mention about 6-8 hours too long, making the painful shortcomings the equivalent of dragging nails across a chalkboard to the point you want to throw your desk at the dev team for making you sit through it all by the end of it

Ghazi

It's a good representation of where the game will demand the most performance; crowds seem to max out CPU usage and from what I've read it sounds like you might actually need something more than quadcore to keep a solid 60.

Game feels pretty good to me at a lower framerate, so I'm not too put out by it. I'm actually kind of impressed it looks and plays as well as it does on my old and creaky CPU.

Thanks, I'm managing to hold 60 at around high settings like the benchmark showed.

HeeHo

I think I am gonna get Stranger of Sword City. Is this game real fan service-y? Like with pervert jokes left and right and noob shots everywhere?

I can handle the boobs every now and then but I don't want to play something like Ar Tonelico or Hyperneptunia.

Nope, it's actually secretly out of stock despite the store page. It's just that they tell you after taking your money, so that's great...

oh that's lame, I bought it and got my code several days ago, so maybe I got lucky

give them some time if they've already charged you since it's 4am there

So, uh, success I guess?
UrprAXll.png

The order was originally canceled due to it being out-of-stock, but after a few hours the order was un-canceled, and I got the code.

Really weird, but I'm not complaining about it. Looks like I still got charged, so everything seems to have been corrected -- albeit with some twists and turns along the way.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

HUNTSMAN THE ORPHANAGE STEAM -- MB-951196D096ED2515 - Taken by voodooray. 1 entrants total.
AIR GUARDIANS -- MB-C3F175B35635B75B - Taken by Ludens. 1 entrants total.
SUPER MUSTACHE -- MB-F068667C90E1893E - Taken by Hakkelus. 1 entrants total.
THREE DEAD ZED -- MB-57D1AA6C39293BD9 - Taken by fuzzy123. 1 entrants total.
THREE DEAD ZED STEAM -- MB-F4720DCE8857807F - Taken by rainking187. 1 entrants total.

t1480319266z1.png

PaulSane

I think I am gonna get Stranger of Sword City. Is this game real fan service-y? Like with pervert jokes left and right and noob shots everywhere?

I can handle the boobs every now and then but I don't want to play something like Ar Tonelico or Hyperneptunia.

It actually has zero fanservice. Yes, you do encounter a schoolgirl with a katana in the first five minutes of the game, but that's as far as this game goes in terms of similarities with your average "anime" game :) This game also has a pretty dark atmosphere, which is reinforced by it's difficulty.

I've been beta-testing this game prior to it's steam release, and liked it quite a bit - haven't really played it after that, but i'm definitely going back to it at some point.

gnomed

I think I'm going to get him Terraria, and see how he feels about these kind of games from there. I can't remember from the last time I played, is Don't Starve particularly gratuitous, or does it take a more cartoony approach to its themes?

Hm, are the Costume Quest games accessible RPGs? He got really deep into FNaF World, and I could tell it was for more than the characters.
There isn't any blood in Don't Starve, but there is killing of creatures. Nothing like the Binding of Isaac. The atmosphere is a bit creepy though and there is a learning curve with its rogue-like gameplay. But it's simple enough, he'll have to stick to dying every so often.

I think he'll really enjoy Costume Quest. It really captures the Halloween spirit of Spielbergian Americana. My neice played through a good portion and enjoyed most it.

I'd recommend Never Alone. A not to difficult platformer with easy puzzle elements. It has a unique setting and educational to boot.

Thinking about Endless Legend but not sure if I should get all the DLC or not

As the dlcs are "just" more fractions you are fine with the main game first i think, at least to get an idea if you like the game (its great).

It also wouldnt surprise me when the game and dlcs are on the winter sale again, so you probably will get them later discounted.

GRaider81

Thinking about Endless Legend but not sure if I should get all the DLC or not

The base game is great, the expansions are great too Imo adding new factions and gameplay style.

Maybe just get base and if you like it get the expansions in next sale?

Edit: beaten! But same idea lol

PantsuJo

Would love some input, if I want a meaty 2D RPG experience, which should I go with, Darkest Dungeon or Stranger in Sword City?
Well both are dungeon crawler but Darkest Dungeon is like an hardcore experience for me, really difficult to beat. 2D Dark Souls?

"Stranger" should be a classic Japanese dungeon crawler with no particular features so grinding enough should be the key to beat it (or am I wrong? ..tell me, GAF)
Anyway I heard only positive things about Stranger.

jorma

is now taking requests
A question; i bought a total warhammer steam key from a swedish retailer during the sale - now if i decided i wanted to buy some dlc to this game, will there be any issues from where i buy it? Can i buy it directly from steam without issues? Can i buy a dlc-steam key from the uk without any issues?

Monooboe

Well both are dungeon crawler but Darkest Dungeon is like an hardcore experience for me, really difficult to beat. 2D Dark Souls?

"Stranger" should be a classic Japanese dungeon crawler with no particular features so grinding enough should be the key to beat it (or am I wrong? ..tell me, GAF)
Anyway I heard only positive things about Stranger.

Yeah also got a feeling that Darkest Dungeon seems harder. How is a classic Japanese dungeon crawler? Something like the old Shining games on Genesis?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A question; i bought a total warhammer steam key from a swedish retailer during the sale - now if i decided i wanted to buy some dlc to this game, will there be any issues from where i buy it? Can i buy it directly from steam without issues? Can i buy a dlc-steam key from the uk without any issues?

In this particular case, purchasing a key intended for Asia or Eastern Europe would require the use of a VPN for activation, but Steam isn't like PSN where each territory has its own SKU that itself has its own DLC, though publishers can elect to make a region-specific version of a game if they so desire (e.g. Dishonored).

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Starship Novastrike -- MB-25CA7DC544FD9561 - Taken by Lord Snow

Game removed from Steam.

I paid less than what most AAA releases cost for 21 games.. Wow. I'm all set for the year. So happy with this sale, for some reason :)

Haul list:

• Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition
  • Bit Blaster XL
  • The Blackwell Bundle (4 Games)
  • Blackwell Epiphany
  • Braid
  • Broforce
  • Gemini Rue
  • Gray Matter
  • Life Is Strange Complete Season (Episodes 1-5)
  • Out There Somewhere
  • Pony Island
  • SanctuaryRPG: Black Edition
  • Savant - Ascent
  • Serious Sam Classics: Revolution (2 Games)
  • Shadow Warrior
  • This War of Mine
  • Technobabylon

Tizoc

Where is the cheapest to get Titanfall 2 digitally atm? I'd get it for $20 or less as that's the price I'm tempted to get it at.

EDIT: I'll make an Autumn Haul thread by the 29th.

jorma

is now taking requests
In this particular case, purchasing a key intended for Asia or Eastern Europe would require the use of a VPN for activation, but Steam isn't like PSN where each territory has its own SKU that itself has its own DLC, though publishers can elect to make a region-specific version of a game if they so desire (e.g. Dishonored).

Ok sweet, thanks!

derFeef

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (derFeef, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen -- MB-D5C11F06A76F2AB9 - Taken by Orgen. 8 entrants total.

t1480327217z1.png

Good game for good folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom