• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale 2016 Thread: Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for Christmas Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Im sorry does GOTY not stand for Game of the Year? Maybe you fancy lads want to work on your GOTYTCOTYs instead.

Amzin

So what's so great about ESO nowadays? Is it good for someone that has next to no interest in MMOs or is it just a good MMO? I know it got lukewarm reception when it released.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So what's so great about ESO nowadays? Is it good for someone that has next to no interest in MMOs or is it just a good MMO? I know it got lukewarm reception when it released.

ESO is basically (now with all the DLC adding in the factions and whatnot) Elder Scrolls 6, that happens to have other people running around in it. I've probably put in about 150 hours myself, and I have never once "joined up with", "joined a party with", or otherwise interacted with any players whatsoever outside of the basic "we're doing the same dungeon / mission at the same time so I guess we're fighting the same monsters together" level of interaction.

It's essentially the evolution of Skyrim, that happens to be about 4-5 times bigger with probably 10 times as many quests to do.

And there's multiplayer stuff too, if you're not a total digital hermit like I am.

user237

They released it about a year too early so it got trashed by a lot of people on this forum.

They been working on it and adding a lot of stuff so the game keeps getting better.

The latest change was an update called One Tamriel which removed the alliance restrictions on character movement and scales character levels, so you can play in any zone at any time. It makes the world feel a lot larger because you are not limited to a single zone at a time.

r3n4ud

ESO is basically (now with all the DLC adding in the factions and whatnot) Elder Scrolls 6, that happens to have other people running around in it. I've probably put in about 150 hours myself, and I have never once "joined up with", "joined a party with", or otherwise interacted with any players whatsoever outside of the basic "we're doing the same dungeon / mission at the same time so I guess we're fighting the same monsters together" level of interaction.

It's essentially the evolution of Skyrim, that happens to be about 4-5 times bigger with probably 10 times as many quests to do.

And there's multiplayer stuff too, if you're not a total digital hermit like I am.
Jason, how many crowns are needed to buy all the dlc? I bought some crowns, but probably not enough.

Amzin

Interesting. I'm surprised to see so many people loving a Bethesda game that you can't mod, honestly :p but maybe I'll grab it during the winter sale since I'm still playing stuff from this sale yet.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Jason, how many crowns are needed to buy all the dlc? I bought some crowns, but probably not enough.

1500 to buy the 5th DLC.

Oh you fucked up and didnt buy the gold like a TOOL? 7000 then (well assuming the bundle with the 4 dlc in the gold edition is 5500 still)

TheJoRu

hitman is even better then expected! but i suck at it...

Same here, lol. Even the training mission is causing me some trouble with some of the challenges. I want to play the game with as little assistance enabled as possible, but I do think they can help me enjoy it more if i removes some of the frustration. I like that they are there.

user237

Is ESO like WOW?

Can I play without a monthly fee?

You buy the game and then you can play forever without paying more.

But you will probably want to buy the DLCs which cost 5500 crowns in game (or just buy the gold edition of the game to start with).

chronomac

Extras from GMG
ModBot said:
Instructions for chronomac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Corporate Lifestyle Simulator -- MB-185FA8DEFE6843CD - Taken by Deadly. 2 entrants total.
Super Mustache -- MB-7EEBF90E317EC906 - Taken by dave is ok. 1 entrants total.

t1480295154z1.png

Anustart

Posting again just in case. Accidentally stayed subd to humble monthly and dont want Dragons Dogma dark arisen.

anyone want it and can trade me maybe enter the gungeon, mass effect 2?

Other interesting trades considered if you have keys laying around just run it by me and ill see if im interested!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Interesting. I'm surprised to see so many people loving a Bethesda game that you can't mod, honestly :p but maybe I'll grab it during the winter sale since I'm still playing stuff from this sale yet.

I think that ESO is really their logic leap from the paid mods fiasco. You can technically "mod" a lot of stuff about the game, but those "mods" are now sold directly from Bethesda on the in-game store. New clothing styles, hair styles, cosmetics, etc that you can buy are things that you'd typically see on Nexus Mods for games like Skyrim. You can also find things like extra potions (unlimited health if you've got the $$$), XP scrolls (level up quickly mod, for cash), and those sorts of in-game boosts that people typically make mods for.

I'm not saying it's a good deal or a good value to buy those things, but to each their own.

Nere

My gf wants us to try ESO. I know the gold edition has 4 DLCs are they like mandatory or we can go with the Tamriel Unlimited version?

Rhaknar

Ironically I played Skyrim more like I usually play mmos (aka skip every quest text) then im playing the actual mmo.

Maybe its just a right place right time but im actually reading (or listening if the speak fast enough) all the quests and im quite involved. It helpsbthat you arent stuck in onw location I guess since its all of Tamriel.

It has a lot of little smart mmo decisions too. Theres no mob tagging you can just share kills out in the world. Everything scales so you can do a dungeon with your newbie friend and you still get gear for your level (this one is huge if you play mmos). There are various outdoor "group" activities that dont actually require you to be grouped.

Its just very smartly done (at least it is now, 3 years later). Apparently it has a lot of single player end game content too.

user237

My gf wants us to try ESO. I know the gold edition has 4 DLCs are they like mandatory or we can go with the Tamriel Unlimited version?

I think you should buy the base game version first and then upgrade later on if you end up liking the game. The base game has enough content to keep you busy for a year.

jshackles

The DLCs that come with the gold edition add about 100-150 hours of gameplay on top of the 100 or so hours of gameplay you can expect from the standard edition. That being said, it also adds a huge amount of variety to the gameplay that you typically find in Elder Scrolls games, so it feels a little hollow without them (in my opinion).

The gold edition is a good value, but if you just want to check it out you could jump in for $10 and buy the DLC 4-pack later on.

Nere

The DLCs that come with the gold edition add about 100-150 hours of gameplay on top of the 100 or so hours of gameplay you can expect from the standard edition. That being said, it also adds a huge amount of variety to the gameplay that you typically find in Elder Scrolls games, so it feels a little hollow without them (in my opinion).

The gold edition is a good value, but if you just want to check it out you could jump in for $10 and buy the DLC 4-pack later on.

I think you should buy the base game version first and then upgrade later on if you end up liking the game. The base game has enough content to keep you busy for a year.

Okey thanks will go with the base edition see if we like it and then upgrade it but my god 85 gb space required? ouch...

Rhaknar

How's the last dlc?

No idea but it has 2 dungeons.

I really like the dungeons in this. Speaking of dungeons, bosses are super generous and you always get 1 piece of loot from a boss, theres no rolls or anything. Might not be what you want, but you get something from every boss (which you can then trade with others in the dungeon of course), it really threw me for a loop at first.

duppolo

Same here, lol. Even the training mission is causing me some trouble with some of the challenges. I want to play the game with as little assistance enabled as possible, but I do think they can help me enjoy it more if i removes some of the frustration. I like that they are there.

problem is that if i can kill someone without do a challgende, im motivated to do it, but not as motivated as i can wait and search for more then 1 hour...i mean...i havent got all that patience. But i like to go and find something new to follow in any replay, also if i finish with a shitty kill everytime

Abhor

I agree with this. GF and I both are big fans of Elder Scrolls. ESO is pretty much our desire for a co-op playthrough realized. ESO is like a delicious blend of Elder Scrolls lore, with good gameplay, good music (Malukah!), and tons of RP potential with the huge amount of emotes that work in both first and third person mode. Oh, and UI mods, which I loved to use in The Secret World as well.

Currently we're both nightblades. I'm a high elf nightblade using a magicka build and staffs. She is a Khajit with a stamina nightblade fighting up-close and serving as our duo's tank of sorts. Oh, and I had her install a UI mod that was inspired by Khajit Speak for Skyrim. "This one will take ownership of your items now."

Edit: BTW, gold edition comes with a horse mount as well.

I remember when the game first came out, all those little dungeon/caves/mines where infested with bots. You'd usually team up with the people in the immediate area but there'd be a constant stream of bots running the circle killing the boss. I did once see a community manager appear and smite all the bots in a mine, there was much rejoicing in general chat!

Angelina

Banned
might have to get a refund on ys Felghana, cant get xbox one controller working just constantly acts like im holding up on joysticks at menu and doesnt let me change buttons in launcher config but it detects my xbox controller

Rhaknar

Last shill for the night but I feel its something important. One thing I really like is that on each quest hub you gonto you have a little story. Instead of having 6 ir 7 quests in a hub, you usually have one quest. Now, that quest might soawn 4 or 5 follownups eventually but its all telling that one little story for that place instead of being a bunch of random quests in each hub. Its something the single player in me really apreciates.

And theres also always one main quest that soawn the entire zone you are in as you move from hub to hub, which again, the single player in me apreciates.

B4s5C

Last shill for the night but I feel its something important. One thing I really like is that on each quest hub you gonto you have a little story. Instead of having 6 ir 7 quests in a hub, you usually have one quest. Now, that quest might soawn 4 or 5 follownups eventually but its all telling that one little story for that place instead of being a bunch of random quests in each hub. Its something the single player in me really apreciates.

And theres also always one main quest that soawn the entire zone you are in as you move from hub to hub, which again, the single player in me apreciates.

Hey sshilling is good. I went ahead and bought the game plus another copy for my friend based on this last page in the thread. At the very least this should entertain us for at least 40 hours. :)

jshackles

I agree with this. GF and I both are big fans of Elder Scrolls. ESO is pretty much our desire for a co-op playthrough realized. ESO is like a delicious blend of Elder Scrolls lore, with good gameplay, good music (Malukah!), and tons of RP potential with the huge amount of emotes that work in both first and third person mode. Oh, and UI mods, which I loved to use in The Secret World as well.

Currently we're both nightblades. I'm a high elf nightblade using a magicka build and staffs. She is a Khajit with a stamina nightblade fighting up-close and serving as our duo's tank of sorts. Oh, and I had her install a UI mod that was inspired by Khajit Speak for Skyrim. "This one will take ownership of your items now."

Edit: BTW, gold edition comes with a horse mount as well.

Last shill for the night from me too: but playing with a significant other is great in ESO if you get the "Ring of Mara" pack from the crown store. It essentially marries your two in-game characters so that you earn bonus XP every time you play together from that point forward. My wife, sadly, isn't into Elder Scrolls games very much - but for those that can pair up with someone to play with you can earn XP faster in-game for doing so.

Sober

This sounds cool actually. Feels a bit like more recent WoW quest design that actually moves you through zones in a certain way too.

I don't know why but I feel like I want to jump back into one of those pay to play MMO (lites) like TSW, GW2, etc.

Hell I'm even seriously considering SWTOR? Help.

Abhor

Last shill for the night from me too: but playing with a significant other is great in ESO if you get the "Ring of Mara" pack from the crown store. It essentially marries your two in-game characters so that you earn bonus XP every time you play together from that point forward. My wife, sadly, isn't into Elder Scrolls games very much - but for those that can pair up with someone to play with you can earn XP faster in-game for doing so.

Oh I know. We have it on our Dunmer duo. Kinda irks us it's only for a pair of characters, but it's a nice never-ending xp buff. Uses up a ring slot though.

He's the exact reason I linked the game page, pls. Really, though. I've wondered about it. It's just a buck. Got mixed reviews, though, so I was curious.
It was bundled a ton up until recently. A buck is really not much but chances are you're gonna be able to get it even cheaper soon.

So the real question is, do you really want to play it asap?

Hi, does anybody have recommendations for kid-friendly titles that are on sale right now? My eight year old brother is getting burnt out on his current library (which is understandable, he's played the same four to five games for about a year now), and I was thinking of getting him something new. Ideally nothing above $5, since I wanted to buy a couple of games for him. He easily enjoys anything with a sandbox component, whether it's part of the main game, or a side-mode. For reference, he's put a ton of hours into games like Scribblenauts Unlimited, Kerbal Space Program, and Turbo Dismount. Although he has enjoyed games with a focus on a singleplayer-campaign, it seems to be really hit-or-miss with him. Usually anything that isn't too punishing (or can be dialed down), is accessible, and is visually engaging seems to capture his attention, although he usually ends up dropping titles when he gets stumped. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Oops, forgot to post specs. Might not be super important, but it shouldn't hurt:
i3 550
GTX 650 1GB
4GB RAM
1600x900 Display

Not the best, but surprisingly modest. My sisters use it as well, and I've managed to get stuff like Life is Strange and Overwatch to run on it just fine, without much visual compromise.
I hope it's OK to bump this, I didn't get too many responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom