• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanspeed

Banned
KOTOR 2 at $4.99 is a terrible price. I looked back and I bought it for $2.49 during last year's Autumn sale. Da fuck are they doing?
Yea, was really hoping for a better discount, but I got it anyways. Its not like the game isn't worth $5, I guess.

So I took your guy's advice and gave Spelunky another try. I know I'll catch shit for saying this, but the game just isn't for me. I finally got to the end of the first world and had a bomb left over so I gave it to the tunnel guy and... nothing. I died in world two and when I started my next playthrough, there was no tunnel. No shortcut. No progress.

I feel like I gave it more of my time than should be required to start being fun, 3 hours.

I'm not saying the game is bad, because I can see the appeal. It's just not for me.
That's fine.

The tunnel man asks for several goodies to open up a shortcut, but said shortcuts only serve as handicaps in disguise since items naturally don't carry over. Unless you specifically want to accustom yourself to the dangers of a given world.

But you gave it a fair shake and if it isn't for you, then that's the way it's gonna be.

bought so far
La Mulana
Spelunky
Half Minute Hero
Super Meat Boy
Trine
Rogue Legacy
adding the steam card im getting tomorrow my remaining budget will be $24.11
custom ordering Giana+They Bleed+1 other game at midnight tommorrow
adding Guaca when it goes daily/flash
that will be 10 games for now
I think you'll like Super House of Dead Ninja's based on your purchase list, if you haven't bought it previously.

ArynCrinn

Banned
updated damage curtesy of Prize Rebel
La Mulana
Rogue Legacy
Mark of the Ninja(it counts dammit)
Half Minute Hero
Super Meat Boy
Spelunky
Trine
They Bleed Pixels(custom ordered)
Bleed(custom ordered)
Dead Pixels(custom ordered)

Add me on Steam if you ever desire any leaderboard competition for Super Meat Boy, all my scores but three are legit (glitched times, fucking Tommy). Anyway, I can walk you through discussing strats for getting all the no-death achievements too, I've got them all and have helped others a lot before.

+1 for La-Mulana too!

Tame

cant believe i just bought Euro Truck Sim 2

I'm laying the blame squarely on your doorstep GAF

brumbrum honkhonk heehee

blazeuk

A bit late, but congratulations to blazeuk for winning Dishonored GOTY in my mystery raffle between Dishonored and Bad Rats. And an unfortunate congratulations to drizzle who won Bad Rats. A total of 83 participated, 49 of them actually chose the raffle for Dishonored GOTY.

Yerse! That's awesome, thanks Papytendo!

Ryne

I want to pull the trigger on Enslaved, but I'm still hoping it gets cheaper on Steam.

Already purchased:

Dark Souls (took me too long to buy this game)
The Walking Dead: 400 Days
Evoland
DLC Quest
Rogue Legacy

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 is 60% off at GamersGate ($6): http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SENZA2/sniper-elite-nazi-zombie-army-2
And the four-pack version ($18): http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-SENZA24P/sniper-elite-nazi-zombie-army-2-four-pack-bundle

I played the first one and actually was surprised how much I liked it. Not perfect and in some ways a cheap cash-in, ending was disappointing, but it was a lot of fun with friends. Had a good variety of weapons, and some fun enemies thrown into the mix. Strategizing with friends, just having a good time finding that perfect sniping spot to pick off zombies, aiming for high-point shots (judged by distance, where you shot them, with what weapon, etc.), and then it all crumbling down sometimes as you all get swarmed and have to struggle to survive... It's not super-lengthy, but I had a good time with it.

Not sure how the sequel compares, but this is the cheapest it's been.

Wow, I remember getting the whole collection for like 10 bucks or so before Disney...

While I cannot remember if that was the actual price, I do remember it being very cheap before; I should have jumped on it. At €5 Knights of the Old Republic 2 is just outside the "sell lots of cards to afford it" range for me, and the lack of sales on the others (more specifically, the original Knights of the Old Republic) is just bizarre. Hopefully this isn't a trend that will continue with the Star Wars games on Steam.

EDIT: On that note, I hope the Christmas sale brings back Coal even though I doubt it will happen. The meta game got me to bought some games I wouldn't have otherwise considered and spend some time playing them. For some (The Binding of Isaac) this was a very positive thing for me.

Dusk Golem

While I cannot remember if that was the actual price, I do remember it being very cheap before; I should have jumped on it. At €5 Knights of the Old Republic 2 is just outside the "sell lots of cards to afford it" range for me, and the lack of sales on the others (more specifically, the original Knights of the Old Republic) is just bizarre. Hopefully this isn't a trend that will continue with the Star Wars games on Steam.

EDIT: On that note, I hope the Christmas sale brings back Coal even though I doubt it will happen. The meta game got me to bought some games I wouldn't have otherwise considered and spend some time playing them. For some (The Binding of Isaac) this was a very positive thing for me.

That Christmas sale was the best sale Valve did in my opinion. I doubt they'll ever do anything like it again, but the meta-game was addicting, and promoted one to not only purchase games, but also play them for rewards.

Milamber

cant believe i just bought Euro Truck Sim 2

I'm laying the blame squarely on your doorstep GAF

brumbrum honkhonk heehee
It's an absolutely terrible game. Traveling all around most of Europe in a big rig delivering items to and fro is boring. Managing a trucking business and skills of all your employees is incredibly shallow. Not to mention the lack of variety of trucks available for purchase is depressingly tiny. It is an horrible game and shame on you for purchasing it.

P.S. If you bought the Going East DLC too, which adds more cities to the east of Europe, then you have absolutely wasted your money. Good day to you sir.

Dusk Golem

I seriously should play Contagion and give my in-depth thoughts on it. People keep asking about it and it seems not many people here have thoughts on it. I bought it back during the Halloween sale and haven't gotten around to playing it yet. A couple friends picked it up yesterday as well.

Also, Contagion is an in-development game inspired by Zombie Panic Source. The person who suggested it was War Z is thinking of Infection: Survivor Stories.

It's an absolutely terrible game. Traveling all around most of Europe in a big rig delivering items to and fro is boring. Managing a trucking business and skills of all your employees is incredibly shallow. Not to mention the lack of variety of trucks available for purchase is depressingly tiny. It is an horrible game and shame on you for purchasing it.

P.S. If you bought the Going East DLC too, which adds more cities to the east of Europe, then you have absolutely wasted your money. Good day to you sir.

Lol classic

That Christmas sale was the best sale Valve did in my opinion. I doubt they'll ever do anything like it again, but the meta-game was addicting, and promoted one to not only purchase games, but also play them for rewards.

Yep, I definitely agree with everything you've said here, including the bolded unfortunately. It seems like Cards have taken the place of Coal (although collecting coal was far more enjoyable, particularly in the madness of the final few hours where everybody started trading coal for games) and the Voting must be much more popular for them since the last few sales have had it in place of a meta game. We can hope at least!

Nabs

I'm in the minority it seems, but all I saw was an average, non descript platformer :/

It was pretty boring to me.

If you're in no rush to play it, just wait for the upcoming holiday sale. Amazon will probably bundle it with a bunch of games.

Lain

Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes has been swapped with Fallen Enchantress in the flash deals. I'm wondering if I should grab the map pack DLC since it's 75% off as well now. I've never played the game but hey, maybe when I'll play it it could be useful, right?
I know, I'm part of the problem with these stupid DLCs... =(

Edit: The 75% off the DLC is gone, it's just 50% now. Maybe I should have grabbed it when I saw it at 75% afterall.

My bad...
Sorry, I seem to have the stupids this morning.

It doesn't seem like a huge lapse in judgement since they could, admittedly, easily be confused, but for the future, the easiest way to remember what this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/226700/?snr=1_7_15__13 (War Z) is, is by noticing the money-grabbing coin packs, the 20/100 on Metacritic (which is surprisingly high considering what it actually is), the 16/100 user score, and the consistently negative user ratings (I don't know if User Score and User Reviews only show up on Enhanced Steam). The 20/100 and the coin packs are memorable enough so that you can determine if it's War Z even if you don't remember the name.

drgambit

Banned
I hate to say this, but I almost want to wait until the Holiday sale if my game doesn't hit the daily. Is that a reasonable decision? Is there any chance there will not be a holiday sale this year?

Ledsen

I hate to say this, but I almost want to wait until the Holiday sale if my game doesn't hit the daily. Is that a reasonable decision? Is there any chance there will not be a holiday sale this year?

There is 0,1% chance there won't be a Christmas sale. I calculated this risk using my Steam Orb of Scrying.

fantomena

Yes. That's what Im planning to do with the games that doesn't hit a daily or flash this autumn sale.

It is a very reasonable decision, it's extremely unlikely that there won't be a Christmas sale this year yet, if this supposedly leaked email is real (and it seems to be):

BazPkxO.png

then the same deals are going to be used for both sales. Now, whether or not this is real, and applies to the Daily Deals, we cannot really tell, but the worst thing that happens is that you wait a month, the game you wish isn't a daily, and you buy it for the same price you can buy it now. If you aren't absolutely convinced that you want to start it immediately, and you have other games to play, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with waiting a month and seeing if the price drops.

Apdiddy

So far, I only bought about 7 games during the whole sale. I keep waiting on Risk of Rain, Valdis Story: Abyssal City, Blood of the Werewolf, and Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs to show up as daily/flash deals.

Kydd BlaZe

So far, managed to snag:

The Walking Dead: 400 Days
State of Decay
Portal 2
Saint's Row IV: Enter the Dominatrix

Still waiting for daily's/flashes on:

The Wolf Among Us
Binary Domain
Duke Nukem Forever
Aliens Colonial Marines: Stasis Interrupted

Don't laugh at the last two

Nemic77

Is Contagion any good? It looks like Left 4 Dead with some extra stuff on it. That video, while descriptive, rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

Impulse buy for me and even though there are few maps at the moment I feel like I got my money's worth.

It's really not that much similar to L4D. It's slower paced, more realistic, scarce ammo, etc...

The potential is evident and I hope they keep steadily adding maps and features. Still, the standout feature, at the moment, is The Hunted game mode. It's incredibly tense

Dusk Golem

I think I have a bigger spending problem than you guys.

So far, I've bought:

-Cold Fear (bought for NeoGAF)
-Outlast (bought two copies for NeoGAF)
-Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut (bought five copies, 4 for GAF, 1 for a friend)
-Skullgirls (bought for a friend)
-Alpha Protocol (From Amazon)
-Hammerwatch 4-Pack
-Project: Snowblind
-Exodus From the Earth
-Super Laser Racer
-FLOCK!
-Coniclysm
-The Dig
-Deep Black
-Slam Bolt Scrappers + Go Home Dinosaurs Bundle
-Swarm Arena
-Ms. Splosion Man
-Lugaru HD
-Gateways
-Fish Fillets 2
-The Polynomial
-Rogue Legacy
-Pandemonium
-Lunar Flight 4-Pack
-Sanctum 2 Season Pass
-Rochard - Hard Times DLC
-State of Decay
-Unholy Heights
-Kung Fu Strike: The Warrior's Rise - DLC
-Euro Truck Simulator 2 - Going East! DLC
-Euro Truck Simulator 2 - Halloween Paint Jobs DLC
-Type Rider

Given most of these things only cost $0.50 to up to $3, though.

I have been pretty set on getting to 1000 games before the year is up. Almost there, 997 games currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom