• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I installed the latest AMD driver after not doing it for a while and I get this AMD Gaming Evolve Control Center powered by Raptr. What the fuck is this shit? Can I uninstall it?

Haven't bought much, but I'm lucky to have bought anything at all:

Crusader Kings II Collection (from Humble Store)
Papers, Please
Prison Architect
State of Decay

Plus a gift copy of The Stanley Parable for a friend.

So I installed the latest AMD driver after not doing it for a while and I get this AMD Gaming Evolve Control Center powered by Raptr. What the fuck is this shit? Can I uninstall it?
Yes, you can uninstall it. When I had my 6950, it made me install that crap. Just uninstall it and be done.

Woke up in the middle of the night, couldn't sleep, felt I should take the opportunity to play Gone Home. Finished it 3 hours later, and man that game had me leaving with the warm fuzzies
well, except for the depressing subplots.

Not really a fan of games that try to shove narrative at any possible opening at the detriment of the mechanics (Max Payne 3), or worse when a game tries to have you take it seriously with what it's trying to present but clashes with how you interact with it (Bioshock Infinite), but when a game like Gone Home comes along and lets you just go for the ride and soak up the atmosphere and uncover the happenings bit by bit I just adore it for what it is.

Though I find it amusing that it plays in a way that suggests you're taking the role of some kind of alien or amnesiac who feels compelled to grab every mundane object and carefully examine it as though you've never seen a jar of peanut butter before. Oh what's that eraser? This fork is shiny, let's rotate it a bit.

Xanathus

It's AMD's Geforce Experience. Optimal settings and stuff. Not a bad idea imo.

Speaking of AMD's drivers and Steam, I notice that Steam's Check for Video Driver Updates feature doesn't seem to be updated anymore. My AMD driver is version 13.1 and I notice the latest release is 13.9 but Steam doesn't give me any updates.

Thanks guys, I guess I'll hold off for awhile.

Awfully tempted by Euro Truck now though. Would it satisfy my douchebag sensibilities? I mean with a giant truck like that and an open road, I'm bound to do awful things like run other vehicles off the road, block traffic, and so on.
Interested in the simulation aspects too of course but I get a lot of mileage out of open-world driving dickery.

Got a couple keys for The 39 Steps from GMG yesterday I won't use, so, here ya go.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

39 Steps #1 -- MB-7169D0656BC50EA2 - Taken by Frank Jaeger. 2 entrants total.
39 Steps #2 -- MB-85996E0930A220E2 - Taken by drgambit. 2 entrants total.

t1385830932z1.png

Arthea

After saying for 401st time that I won't buy anything or very little till winter sale, I went on and did this:
Puzzle Chronicles
Toki Tori
Secret of the Magic Crystals
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary
Critical Mass
Trine
Sequence
Super Hexagon
Magical Diary
Evoland

Then, if that hadn't been enough I decided to buy Dark Souls, even if it's not in my region at all because it's GFWL and I can't even play it, damn GFWL. If that wouldn't be quite enough, it is region locked and I can't even activate it. All that after I had a good laugh at a guy who bought Skyrim without any possibility to play it now, or any time soon. Talk about irony. So DS now sits in my inventory and laughs at me.

Later I got really upset that I didn't get that awesome deal on Dishonored GOTY. It was not even in my wishlist, and I may be would have bought it in 2016 or something, still I got upset enough not to buy anything all day.
Don't worry I bought nothing on steam, that's true, but I've bought BioShock Infinite on gmg regardless.

And today I went and bought:
Euro Truck Simulator 2 - Gold Bundle
Magic 2014 — Duels of the Planeswalkers
Spectromancer
(two of them not even dailies!)
I could blame Copons and Milamber for ETS2, but we all now that's only partly true.

Story of my life since I got on steam. :(

Obligatory http://i.minus.com/i8PnsL6JKDCT8.gif

I think I have a bigger spending problem than you guys.
huge list

Well, you might have it worse than me, dunno should I be happy or sad.
And there are Xelios and Jasec, thanks Odin for that. (><)

I gotta say, seeing everyone buy Evoland is really unfortunate.

That game is a bit crap.

It has a cute gimmick sure but it includes some of the worst RPG aspects (constant and boring random battles), and they take up a good stretch of the game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
After saying for 401st time that I won't buy anything or very little till winter sale, I went on and did this:
Puzzle Chronicles
Toki Tori
Secret of the Magic Crystals
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary
Critical Mass
Trine
Sequence
Super Hexagon
Magical Diary
Evoland

Then, if that hadn't been enough I decided to buy Dark Souls, even if it's not in my region at all because it's GFWL and I can't even play it, damn GFWL. If that wouldn't be quite enough, it is region locked and I can't even activate it. All that after I had a good laugh at a guy who bought Skyrim without any possibility to play it now, or any time soon. Talk about irony. So DS now sits in my inventory and laughs at me.

Later I got really upset that I didn't get that awesome deal on Dishonored GOTY. It was not even in my wishlist, and I may be would have bought it in 2016 or something, still I got upset enough not to buy anything all day.
Don't worry I bought nothing on steam, that's true, but I've bought BioShock Infinite on gmg regardless.

And today I went and bought:
Euro Truck Simulator 2 - Gold Bundle
Magic 2014 &#8212; Duels of the Planeswalkers
Spectromancer
(two of them not even dailies!)
I could blame Copons and Milamber for ETS2, but we all now that's only partly true.

Story of my life since I got on steam. :(

Obligatory http://i.minus.com/i8PnsL6JKDCT8.gif

I get paid on Monday so I might buy the last few licensed games that are decently discounted, which I've earmarked for the Winter Sale. Namely:

- Aerofly FS
- Cabela's African Hunting Adventures (only 25% off, but history suggests that Acti will never discount it further)
- Guardians of Middle-earth DDE
- Tom Clancy's EndWar
- Tom Clancy's HAWX 2 + DLC

I should be able to get the lot for around $50 rather than $115 (thank you Based Russia).

Arthea

I gotta say, seeing everyone buy Evoland is really unfortunate.

That game is a bit crap.

I double dipped even, granted I haven't played it, but my friend really liked it, so I bought in on gog right after release and now on steam.
You know that people enjoy different things usually.
Oh and I actually liked dlc quest, thought it was funny.
BTW what's so bad about it in your opinion?

Best deals I've got so far were the Deus Ex Collection from GMG for $7.20 and Walking Dead with the DLC for $6. Going to get the Hitman Collection for $7 this afternoon on GMG, and hope that Steam has the Tomb Raider reboot on sale for dirt cheap.

Arthea

I get paid on Monday so I might buy the last few licensed games that are decently discounted, which I've earmarked for the Winter Sale. Namely:

- Aerofly FS
- Cabela's African Hunting Adventures (only 25% off, but history suggests that Acti will never discount it further)
- Guardians of Middle-earth DDE
- Tom Clancy's EndWar
- Tom Clancy's HAWX 2 + DLC

I should be able to get the lot for around $50 rather than $115 (thank you Based Russia).
Is it much for you at sales time or little? ;)
What you do with region locked games, if you don't mind me asking. You do add them to your library, that's all point of collecting.
I kinda want to add that DS to my library if it's not too hard to do

Best deals I've got so far were the Deus Ex Collection from GMG for $7.20 and Walking Dead with the DLC for $6. Going to get the Hitman Collection for $7 this afternoon on GMG, and hope that Steam has the Tomb Raider reboot on sale for dirt cheap.

I was hoping for that too, but we probably will have to wait till xmas for that dirty cheap option.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Apparently Wizardry 8 works if you are in Steam Beta.

...now that I'm in Steam Beta, what do I expect?

BTW what's so bad about it(Evoland) in your opinion?

The gimmick wears thin rather quickly.
It's just really shallow and boring. After a certain point it seems like there's over an hour of very dull random battles. There are some Zelda-like dungeons to explore but when I played through them I felt like I could do so much better. I could be replaying Ys, Zelda, an older Final Fantasy title, or anything similar instead and get far more enjoyment out of it.
The humor fell really flat, it got nary a chuckle out of me. I bought it when it came out so it was at or close to full-price. One of my greatest gaming regrets this year.

I wrote a full review for a site earlier this year, but it looks like it's gone. Oh well.

Arthea

The gimmick wears thin rather quickly.
It's just really shallow and boring. After a certain point it seems like there's over an hour of very dull random battles. There are some Zelda-like dungeons to explore but when I played through them I felt like I could do so much better. I could be replaying Ys, Zelda, an older Final Fantasy title, or anything similar instead and get far more enjoyment out of it.
The humor fell really flat, it got nary a chuckle out of me. I bought it when it came out so it was at or close to full-price. One of my greatest gaming regrets this year.

I wrote a full review for a site earlier this year, but it looks like it's gone. Oh well.

I think I can live with that if it'll be funny for me. If not, I'll regret twice as much as you (><)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is it much for you at sales time or little? ;)

I've bought notably less than I had expected to as the ~230 keys I gave out last week used up about a third of my sale budget.

What you do with region locked games, if you don't mind me asking. You do add them to your library, that's all point of collecting.
I kinda want to add that DS to my library if it's not too hard to do

Add them, using a VPN if need be, and look upon them fondly. Football Manager aside, I think all I'm missing now is Borderlands 2 RU (and its DLC), but I'll have to look into this some more.

I can't wait for it to drop to $1
can you imagine the fun of gifting it to unsuspecting person? (><)

Haha, it'll probably be pulled before then. ;)

What are the chances of Grid 2 becoming a daily or flash deal? I'm interested in buying original, and I'm sure it will be discounted further if the sequel is.

Arthea

I've bought notably less than I had expected to as the ~230 keys I gave out last week used up about a third of my sale budget.

Add them, using a VPN if need be, and look upon them fondly. Football Manager aside, I think all I'm missing now is Borderlands 2 RU (and its DLC), but I'll have to look into this some more.

Well, there is always winter sale! (><)
It's a pity I missed your giveaway.

Are those games playable after you activate them at all? I mean not using VPN to play them, or using it.

kamspy

Scribblenauts Unmasked + Unlinited is $15 on Amazon. Likely cheaper than Unmasked will be during any potential daily. Bought it for my GF.

Mupod

has Capcom clarified whether or not you'll be able to upgrade from street fighter 4 AE to USF4 on the PC version? AE is still using games for windows live right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom