• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Man, Amazon's Sega Fun Pack is a pretty incredible deal.

Quite a lot of great games in the mix for $10

DocSeuss

Seeing a Call of Duty game (I love the games for their single player because I am weird) on sale for 17% is a bit like getting a Christmas gift from your millionaire relative and it's a coupon for McDonald's clipped out of an oily newspaper. It's like... couldn't you have tried, maybe, like, a little bit more?

I'm done buying stuff this sale, though. I spent more than I should have, like $15 or so. Probably not that wise when I just missed three days of work 'cause of school shutting down, and I'm going to miss just over a month here shortly. Going to miss out on Christmas entirely.

Wario tweeted something about Shadow Warrior hitting on Monday? I blogged a few thousand words on how it had one of the best game stories I've encountered in a long while ago, so suffice it to say, I REALLY think you should buy it, sale or no.

Man, Amazon's Sega Fun Pack is a pretty incredible deal.

Quite a lot of great games in the mix for $10

Sega kinda sucks at bundles, though. They did a bundle with Condemned in it, but Condemned didn't include a Steam key, when all the other games did. Condemned on Amazon HAS a Steam key, but not the Condemned in that bundle. It's just a straight download. Really bummed.

OMG, I just checked out the Origin deals page and they actually have games at sale-like prices! What happened to "not devaluing the franchise" or whatever the hell your excuse was, EA? https://www.origin.com/en-gb/store/deals-ANW.html

Thanks for the heads up, some of those deals look great.

Battlefield 3
Bulletstorm
Dead Space 2
Mass Effect 2

Those 4 are looking pretty great to me, especially since they are all under $8. By the end of this sale, I'll be picking up one of those 4 games for sure.

Seeing a Call of Duty game (I love the games for their single player because I am weird) on sale for 17% is a bit like getting a Christmas gift from your millionaire relative and it's a coupon for McDonald's clipped out of an oily newspaper. It's like... couldn't you have tried, maybe, like, a little bit more?
01laugh.gif
01laugh.gif
01laugh.gif

Man, that is a great mental picture.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Sega kinda sucks at bundles, though. They did a bundle with Condemned in it, but Condemned didn't include a Steam key, when all the other games did. Condemned on Amazon HAS a Steam key, but not the Condemned in that bundle. It's just a straight download. Really bummed.

Which bundle are you talking about? I ask as I have bought two SEGA bundles from Amazon which had Condemned in them, and both included Steam codes. Not this paticular season, but last Summer and Winter.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Great game, is much deeper than most think(that ending...wtf) maybe cut about 2 or 3 hours of play so it does not feel repetitive. Amazing art.

When I began playing the game, I certainly didn't think that the fractured narrative threads would eventually coalesce to form a cohesive whole regarding
child molestation and sex slavery
. In addition to the Good Art™ (The Art of Alice: Madness Returns is the one and only art book I own), I'd also praise the soundtrack.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
GODDAMNIT GUYS

No one told me Pacman DX would have DLC!

Pretty much a lot of the boards are locked!

Caerith

So, I decided to play through the Witcher games, and am five minutes into the first one (not counting cutscenes) and starting to reconsider. Maybe I can get used to (or mod) the combat, but did CDPR really not include a way to adjust FOV? It looks just uncanny on my TV.

Grief.exe

This is only my 2nd steam sale but if the summer sale is anything to go by, all signs point to maybe.

Why can't I hold all these repeats?

The worst part was when people would vote for the mainstream games that have already been on sale multiple times, leaving some lesser known titles to rot.

The nightmares I had seeing Borderlands 2 over and over and over...

JaseC

Is Dragon Commander a good game?
I'm mostly interested in the RPG side.

Edit: is the Imperial edition worth it?

From GOG:

Imperial Edition includes:
- Digital soundtrack
- Golden Dragon skin
- Dragons on Earth campaign map
- Behind the Scenes documentary

Whether or not the above is worth $2.50 is up to you.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Honestly, this sale fucking sucks compared to the Summer Sale. All big sales should implement the voting feature for games to go on sale. It brings in the community and makes likely more money. Also the trading card thing should have returned for this sale, that got the community really involved too and improved and contributed to the market economy.

In short, some good sales, but overall very underwhelming imo. Where's Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced for -75% on the first day, where's Risk of Rain for -75%, where's Injustice for -50%? Where the fuck is Kentucky Route Zero for -80%, damnit!

And COD Ghosts for a 49.99 drop, are you kidding me? Not that I'd buy it anyway, but by virtue of the fact it's yet another copy/paste COD job it should be a mandatory -95% off, if Valve staff had any sense of humor. Same goes for AssCreed 4 really. But just my opinion, I think a lot of games that needed to be -75% are -50%, or the swallow your pride and bend over while we wax you -10% off. Games these days are way overpriced for what you get anyway in the longterm, sales need to go hard or not go at all is my position.

Soundodger+ will prolly be my next buy, can't wait for Ikaruga and Race The Sun in Dec. The Cat Lady in Dec too.

Since I'm on my 17th Heineken, I can boldly say that waking up tomorrow and seeing that Capcom and Konami have finally pulled their heads out of their asses and released Mega Man Anthology (MM 1-10, X Series), MGS HD Collection, Silent Hill Collection, and the OG ResiEvil Collection (with HD REmake). Would make me VERY happy and likely spill my next beer. That, or Ultima Underworld 1&2 and Planescape Torment with achievements support.

drgambit

Banned
Is Dragon Commander a good game?
I'm mostly interested in the RPG side.

Edit: is the Imperial edition worth it?

I looked at some of the reviews... its quite mixed. I think this will go on my wishlist and I will wait for a steeper discount. The game looks beautiful!

Phinor

I was wishing Injustice would become super cheap at some point, but I guess it's too soon :p

They actually discounted it by 25% before the game was even released in Europe. Really nice for people who pre-ordered the game at a higher price.

Grief.exe

Honestly, this sale fucking sucks compared to the Summer Sale. All big sales should implement the voting feature for games to go on sale. It brings in the community and makes likely more money. Also the trading card thing should have returned for this sale, that got the community really involved too and improved and contributed to the market economy.

Autumn sale is always a smaller, stop-gap, sale much like the Halloween sale
Expect a larger sale over Christmas, with some form of voting. Though, I would argue that the voting system in its current form is broken.

In short, some good sales, but overall very underwhelming imo. Where's Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced for -75% on the first day, where's Risk of Rain for -75%, where's Injustice for -50%? Where the fuck is Kentucky Route Zero for -80%, damnit!

The majority of the games you just listed were just released. A 75%, or even 50%, discount would be ridiculous.

And COD Ghosts for a 49.99 drop, are you kidding me? Not that I'd buy it anyway, but by virtue of the fact it's yet another copy/paste COD job it should be a mandatory -95% off, if Valve staff had any sense of humor. Same goes for AssCreed 4 really. But just my opinion, I think a lot of games that needed to be -75% are -50%, or the swallow your pride and bend over while we wax you -10% off. Games these days are way overpriced for what you get anyway in the longterm, sales need to go hard or not go at all is my position.

The publishers set the discounts, not Valve. Not Activision and Ubisoft are known for poor DD pricing.

Since I'm on my 17th Heineken, I can boldly say that waking up tomorrow and seeing that Capcom and Konami have finally pulled their heads out of their asses and released Mega Man Anthology (MM 1-10, X Series), MGS HD Collection, Silent Hill Collection, and the OG ResiEvil Collection (with HD REmake). Would make me VERY happy and likely spill my next beer. That, or Ultima Underworld 1&2 and Planescape Torment with achievements support.

This sounds fine to me. Japanese companies are a joke though.

JaseC

Expect a larger sale over Christmas, with some form of voting. Though, I would argue that the voting system in its current form is broken.

It's only similar to the Halloween Sale insofar that it runs for less than a week. They're completely different in every other respect.

Jørdan

Finally put the finishing touches on Enhanced Steam 4.5 for Firefox. Time for sleeping.

With any luck, they'll review and approve the update within the next few days. I'll make an announcement when that happens, but if you want to use it in the mean time you can download it directly from this page.

Thanks a lot for the update, Enhanced Steam quickly became indispensable.

Colin.

Not a fan of the voting system as it stands either. It is regularly a case of people voting for a game they already have and like, or recognizing the name. Which results in the same games repeating constantly, and some of the voting options not appearing at all on sale as a result.

I forgot how much of a turn-off the combat in Endless Space is, it's cool to watch the first time and then you're better off simply auto-resolving every fight after because it's basically the same three stage cinematic every time. Glad I only spent 3.40$ on the expansion.

ArynCrinn

Banned

Yeah, I know, but like I said go big or don't go at all. I suppose my mega 17 High-to-mid end PC's office is a testament to that mindset. Much to my wife's chagrin at times...

Plus, it would make more money, which is the bottom line anyway. And I don't know how the voting system is "broken"? You see list of set games, vote for a game, get card. Even post on the wall suggesting votes and whatnot.

The majority of the games you just listed were just released. A 75%, or even 50%, discount would be ridiculous.

I don't really subscribe to the notion of x amount of hours in circulation equals a mandatory bottom price. Bunch of places and games we could list that come out and very quickly get huge sales discounts on various sites. Some even go on sale for a discount when first released. So it isn't blasphemous to suggest these games get those kinds of cuts. They probably sell more and make more money in these short term sales at those cheaper prices in the long term anyway. Simple economics.

The publishers set the discounts, not Valve. Not Activision and Ubisoft are known for poor DD pricing.

Yeah, I'm aware, I was just being sort of a idiot. But love to see Valve say "you want in on the sale at all, you discount for 85%-95% off, period, or your cut off". Be a nice gesture anyway, in terms of shlocko publisher's always drawing that line.

This sounds fine to me. Japanese companies are a joke though.

I'd argue it's not really Japan, at least going forward the next year or two. I fully expect to see MGS Rising sell well and possibly Bayo 1/Vanquish down the line. It's just that all things considered, Capcom and Konami are fucking idiots these days, aside from their PC contributions.

Tenrius

I forgot how much of a turn-off the combat in Endless Space is, it's cool to watch the first time and then you're better off simply auto-resolving every fight after because it's basically the same three stage cinematic every time. Glad I only spent 3.40$ on the expansion.

I enjoyed the Battlestar Galactica-style camera work, but it got old really fast. Actually, I haven't played Endless Space ever since the release (I pre-purchased it). The game is not really worth it considering the existence of GalCiv 2 (the KING), SotS, SotSE and maybe a few others.

Dr Dogg

DDDDDDDDIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYY

http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/wsg/image/1370/02/1370028777281.gif[]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/3YayzDR.png[][/QUOTE]

Yeah I noticed. Was really tempted to pick up the Dark Forces/Jedi Kbight pack at last and relive some old memories over crimbo but seams the House of Mouse isn't playing ball. Hope they have a publisher weekend next year or I think they've had enough of Steam already. That money sucking evil phone game Tiny Deathstar seams to be their main Star War focus at the moment.

Also sweet irony that you have your Treks and Wars in the same post.

Edit and to add insult to injury as I posted this KOTOR II goes on a flash but nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom