• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

feel

EDIT: Does anybody know what Shatter's like in comparison to other brick-breakers? I'd an interest in it when it came out on the PS3 but never purchased it and my interest had wained; it's only after seeing it in the HumbleWeeklySale that my interest was renewed and I noticed it's discounted on Steam so I'm wondering what it is like and how long it is, in addition to any other features I may have overlooked.
BUY. Amazing soundtrack, very sharp visuals and gameplay, just overall a good time and I usually don't waste time on these type of games, but this one is special.

Any other opinions on this? Perhaps more realistic ones?
I used 360 gamepad (all the basic driving stuff and camera functions) + keyboard (the rest) and it worked really well. Great game, I adore spending 15 minutes slowly maneuvering my giant truck in a small parking lot lol.

Any chance Spelunky will go back down to 3.75 again? Kicking myself for missing the flash sale.

Don't buy it (well, buy the game, it's excellent, don't buy it at the raised price if you're considering it after missing the flash sale). Because it was a flash sale it'll likely appear as a daily, if past sales are any indication, and if not it'll certainly reappear in the Christmas sale.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Online is as dead as a doornail, but that doesn't matter because games aren't meant to be played:

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Takedown Red Sabre -- MB-1245BBFF9662BDD7 - Taken by legacyzero. 10 entrants total.

t1385830123z1.png

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Is Chronicles of Mystara any good?

It's a combination of two classic 90's Capcom beat-em-up arcade title that's been improved since being brought to modern gaming devices. With the improved graphics and numerous tiny fixes, on top of the existing multiple paths and variety you can get out of combat (for a 90's arcade beat-em-up) due to character class differences and Street Fighter like (but not as robust) special moves, it's a favourite of a lot of fans for the genre.

I quite enjoy it, but I still often go back and play Streets Of Rage, Final Fight, The Punisher, and so many more. Someone who was never really into these types of titles, nor the Code Of Princess and Guardian Heroes or Scott Pilgrim vs The World games of today won't get much out of this.

Is it on sale somewhere?

Half off on Steam, Amazon, GMG, and a few others.

Deadbeat

Banned
Online is as dead as a doornail, but that doesn't matter because games aren't meant to be played:
Did they fix the game yet? Ah fuck it, entered.
My apologies if I came across as hostile, I merely thought you were wondering why Modbot is being used so much compared to the more traditional route (and thus trying to show why it is being used).
Its just a free key from that dlh giveaway, so It doesnt warrant protection from level 2 lurkers.
I'll take it off your hands if you want to get rid of it. :D
Check PM.

Vasek45

Neo Member
Is Train Simulator 2014 any good?

Only if you're going to shell out a few hundred bucks for variety in trains and routes. Or choose the dark side if you know what I mean.
You'll also going to need a really good PC to enjoy its 10-years old visuals because optimisation is bad. Train sims show no signs of progress whatsoever because they're a very niche product and there's really no decent competition for RailSim. Trainz is even worse (however the base game has more variety in trains and routes)

Talyn

If you just want to play the game a 360 pad or equivalent will suffice. If you're looking for more of a driving simulation, a wheel with pedals would be better. I just use a 360 pad and the trucks control fine. The controls are very customizable for all manner of input devices so you should be able to find a layout you're comfortable with.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Welp, got myself a 7 day ban on SteamGifts for "not activating" a game that was never sent to me. Oh well. The amount of drama on that site's forums though...

Prophane33

Welp, got myself a 7 day ban on SteamGifts for "not activating" a game that was never sent to me. Oh well. The amount of drama on that site's forums though...

That's weird. I've never knew they could punish you if the sender never gives you a game. I've never had that issue in the case of someone not giving me the game they said they would.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It is not?
Its a pretty big rip off of GDS.
Looks like a duck, swims like a duck, quacks like a duck
I'd really like to hear why it's not

More focus on "in-between" development than simply "hire and go" and you have a bit more control on how things are done, a bit more controlled with how employees are done, a bit more tongue-in-cheek in the references (with more of a Western POV in video game trends), really the only thing similar is how games are made.

You have stuff like during mid development, you would focus more on Engine or Gameplay, or maybe a bit of both? Rather than simply assigning people, you add how much each task would do, and they have a huge effect on what happens due to the genre + topic pick. And then there's even the game engine. Random stuff that add opportunities also appear which adds more to what you do.

I guess people are turned off by the looks. And apparently people think this game has DLC or "pay shit to win" crap? wtf

I swear, it's like people here only saw vids but never played the game.

Derrick01

Banned
Is Train Simulator 2014 any good?

It's a train simulator. Even as someone who likes simulators, how much could you possibly get out of being stuck driving in a straight line? Seems like nothing even remotely interesting would happen until it's time to stop at a platform.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
i never win anything on it so i quit

I don't mind entering since it's quick and easy and "you gotta be in it to win it"; my problem is that I keep forgetting Steam Gifts exists. I enter what giveaways I can and wait a few days for my points to restock, but within that time the site slips out of mind and only returns when I see it mentioned somewhere (generally here).

Jørdan

That's a mistake, did you mark the game as not received? How long passed before the ban, it's largely automated so if you didn't mark it as MIA or contact support it'll detect it as valid.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's weird. I've never knew they could punish you if the sender never gives you a game. I've never had that issue in the case of someone not giving me the game they said they would.

Well what actually happened was I won "Monday Night Combat" and the scuz sent me a beta invite for "Super Monday Night Combat F2P" which is still sitting in my inventory. I marked it as "gift not received" and that was about 4 weeks ago.

Today: banned for not activating Monday Night Combat.

I've won quite a few games from the site but this is the first time I've really had any troubles. But again, oh well. I created a support ticket with them to try to clear up the misunderstanding so we'll see what happens if anything.

I used 360 gamepad (all the basic driving stuff and camera functions) + keyboard (the rest) and it worked really well. Great game, I adore spending 15 minutes slowly maneuvering my giant truck in a small parking lot lol.

If you just want to play the game a 360 pad or equivalent will suffice. If you're looking for more of a driving simulation, a wheel with pedals would be better. I just use a 360 pad and the trucks control fine. The controls are very customizable for all manner of input devices so you should be able to find a layout you're comfortable with.

Thanks. I may just play with my 360 controller then. Though a wheel DOES sound like a fun idea.

Vasek45

Neo Member
It's a train simulator. Even as someone who likes simulators, how much could you possibly get out of being stuck driving in a straight line? Seems like nothing even remotely interesting would happen until it's time to stop at a platform.

The answer is quite simple: if you're as retarded as me and many others and is in love with trains and everything that surrounds them there's a good chance that you'll enjoy the game.
Or I can put it like that: If you ever dreamed of working as a train driver, you should try this game and you might like it.

The bigger problem is that the game itself is based on an ancient engine, lacks any kind of online world or multiplayer and the prices for DLC's are just ridiculous. Somebody said that it's due to licensing issues and stuff but it still just doesn't justify the price to me. But there are manny hobbyist who will happilly pay for new trains and routes just like they do pay for plastic and steel scale models in real life and put them on shelves to admire the looks.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
In any case it's no more calling out Doom and Unreal as "ripoffs".

Hell, doing a bit of research it seems Kairosoft is doing the same thing with their own games. All their ___ Story games function identically while changing some denotations.

Just because GDT looks like an iPhone game, it doesn't play like one.

legacyzero

Banned
Got my eye on a lot of indies this year. Primarily SpaceBase DF9, Mercenary Kings, And maybe Edge of space.

I want Spelunky, but I think I'm actually going to grab that on my Vita instead.

Silky

Banned
Contagion is pretty fun to play.

I also picked up Prototype. Prototype is REALLY good on PC. Shame there's no windowed mode.

Jørdan

Well what actually happened was I won "Monday Night Combat" and the scuz sent me a beta invite for "Super Monday Night Combat F2P" which is still sitting in my inventory. I marked it as "gift not received" and that was about 4 weeks ago.

Today: banned for not activating Monday Night Combat.

I've won quite a few games from the site but this is the first time I've really had any troubles. But again, oh well. I created a support ticket with them to try to clear up the misunderstanding so we'll see what happens if anything.

The guys working support are great and the MNC beta thing has been done dozens of times before so you shouldn't have any difficulty sorting it out.

Arthea

Fallen Enchantress worth it if I'm an SRPG fan, but not a Civ fan?

It's not like Civ for the third time, it has elements in common, but there are many games with building that aren't Civs.
It has quite a lot of SRPG elements, combat may be a bit basic, but not really bad or anything, and you have to be willing to do management of your cities. If you like games like King's Bounty, HoMM, Eador, Disciples and alike, you probably will like it.
Only keep in mind you want Legendary Heroes no less.

edited: forgot something, interface is a bit strange and takes time to get used to.

feel

1 hours until I know in which way Valve will take more of my money.
After yesterday's Dishonored price servers will go down instantly today during the flip with everyone trying to catch a new error. I'll be there mashing my f5 key too.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I play with an Xbox 360 controller, and it works very well. A wheel is certainly ideal, but the controller is both cheaper and completely adequate.

I'd love to get a wheel at a good price though, I'd use it for so many different games...

Milamber

I play with an Xbox 360 controller, and it works very well. A wheel is certainly ideal, but the controller is both cheaper and completely adequate.

I'd love to get a wheel at a good price though, I'd use it for so many different games...

A Logitech G27 is the only realistically priced wheel at 900 degrees of actual rotation. And unfortunately, it is still quite expensive.

Ryne

I suck terribly at Rogue Legacy. I haven't killed a boss, I haven't killed any special enemies and I've already gone through about 60 characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom