• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Whats a good PC controller?

I got Fallout New Vegas Ultimate during the Halloween sale and didn't really like using keyboard + mouse for it.

Theres some games this sale that look interesting too, but I'd prefer to have a controller for them.

Use 360 or DS3/4, depending on your preferences

DS3/4 is infinitely better for dpad heavy games, 360 is easy and perfect for anything else

Knurek

Theres some games this sale that look interesting too, but I'd prefer to have a controller for them.

1270989-a_dual_shock_2.jpg

logitech-gamepad-f310.png
I've been using both of these, liking DualShock 2 better (no triggers, which is a godsend in many games), but both are great.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This sale probably won't be as enticing to me considering how many games from the summer one I still have to play. For now I'm eyeing Rogue Galaxy but I think I can wait for another sale or for it to pop in a bundle. I'd take the plunge on vanilla Skyrim at this price if I was going to play it immediately but that won't be the case either.

cicero

I got Fallout New Vegas Ultimate during the Halloween sale and didn't really like using keyboard + mouse for it.

xbox360 wired controller is my controller of choice so far.
Xbox 360 Wired Controller is my controller of choice as well. It has the sturdy heavy feel that I favor, and it works with most every game nicely. Honestly though, I can't stand gamepads for FPS type games. I cut my teeth on Marathon and Quake and I just can't get used to the slowness and lack of fast accurate aiming that you get with a pad.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I have two wireless 360 controllers, wish I could use them on my PC without getting one of those dongles. I use my DS3 at the moment and don't mind it but would appreciate the convenience of not having to use Better DS3.

Arthea

I've been using both of these, liking DualShock 2 better (no triggers, which is a godsend in many games), but both are great.

My logitech controller (older one, I think I bought it around 2005 or so, not sure, but it's old and with rubber grips) is so heavy it's ridiculous, when I use it I consider myself exercising (><)

Nobody likes the DS3. Some think they do but deep inside they don't. Thank god Sony finally changed the design for the PS4.

I haven't tried DS4 yet, but it even looks more comfortable, that's true

CrimsonN0

I have two wireless 360 controllers, wish I could use them on my PC without getting one of those dongles. I use my DS3 at the moment and don't mind it but would appreciate the convenience of not having to use Better DS3.

How are you using the DS3 on the PC?

I guess that would the cheapest way to go since I still have one.
Sold my 360 last weak for the $100 Best Buy trade-in and not really planning to get the new systems quite yet.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

Sold my 360 last weak for the $100 Best Buy trade-in and not really planning to get the new systems quite yet.

I'm using a program called BetterDS3, you can install drivers for the DS3 and it'll work wirelessly over bluetooth, it allows you to map the controls to keyboard/360 layouts etc.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Always use my wireless 360 controllers on every game bar Pro Evo, that game I find impossible to play decently on anything other than a Dualshock (2 would be even better than 3) and all ofbmy friends would never play couch co-op/versus if not with a DS3.

Knurek

My logitech controller (older one, I think I bought it around 2005 or so, not sure, but it's old and with rubber grips) is so heavy it's ridiculous, when I use it I consider myself exercising (><)

Mine is light, about on par with DualShock2, but the triggers require some strength to keep pressing. Bit of a problem with games like AssCreed, when you need to have them pushed at almost all time.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I have those little trigger clip things for my DS3 so I don't mind using it. Has anyone bought one of those cheap third party 360 pad PC adaptors from ebay/amazon etc? If they're decent and do the job I'll get one, otherwise I can stick to using the DS3.

This is the only way to use a DS3 on a PC http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=59385385&postcount=102

It avoids the motioninjoy drivers and "just works", properly emulating a 360 controller. My personal preference will always be the DS3 with the addon triggers. The controller is fundamentally broken without them but amazing with them.

Can I idle/play multiple games at the same time and get card-drops for both?

Not efficiently. It will significantly slow down the drop rate.

Arthea

Dammit, I missed Gone Home because I was asleep.

I think we'll have all previous dailies and flash games on sale the last day. Or won't we?
sleep is for the weak

First rule of Steam sales: You can never go to bed until they're over.

exactly!

It's no Master of Magic (but what is?)

The latest expansion isn't bad, it just didn't turn out like I hoped. Galciv 3 will probably turn out better.

Just out of curiosity, what you hoped for?

Woorloog

Banned
Any idea if Skyrim would run reasonably well on my system? Have only limited time to decide.
Intel Core i5-2450M, nVidia GT630M, 6GB RAM, Win7 64-bit
Quick Google check implies yes but i trust GAF more than Google.

EDIT OTOH, Skyrim LE will be probably one Christmas sale too, no?

Arthea

Well I meant the last second of the last day, but yeah, basically

But then you'll miss the lightning deals on all the other sites!

You can't play games too, because you have to check every hour or so, which games got discounts stealthily.
now we are done with rule set, no?

Doomboy

Neo Member
Does Assassin's Creed Brotherhood actually work at all on Mac (especially on Mavericks.)?

There seem to be a lot of people on the steam forums complaining that it crashes pretty soon after they try to play it, or that the game can't detect 360 controllers.

Can anyone confirm whether that's the case? Kind of tempted seeing as it's half price (will probably wait to see if it will be a flash/daily anyways).

Any idea if Skyrim would run reasonably well on my system? Have only limited time to decide.

I'm sure you'll be fine, it flies on my 955BE/5770/4GB Ram.

Looks like the prices will be the same come the Christmas sale and I can't imagine Skyrim won't reappear as a flash/daily etc...

Yes. According to the leaked email tge disccounts during the Winter sale will be the same.

cicero

First rule of Steam sales: You can never go to bed until they're over.
At least you have an eight hour gap between flash sales. That GOG Insomnia sale was just crazy. 105+ games with limited numbers available to whoever grabbed them first, interspersed with free giveaways of less than 50 copies of random games on sale that would get snatched in less than a second. I would catch quick naps during the slow parts when games no one wanted came up for sale.

Arthea

At least you have an eight hour gap between flash sales. That GOG Insomnia sale was just crazy. 105+ games with limited numbers available to whoever grabbed them first, interspersed with free giveaways of less than 50 copies of random games on sale that would get snatched in less than a second. I would catch quick naps during the slow parts when games no one wanted came up for sale.

I'm still ashamed I went to sleep during that sale, and missed some deals. :(
It was crazy, crazy awesome that is (><)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom