• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nbz

Still waiting on Sleeping Dogs to go down a bit more. The UK price isn't as good as the US one unfortunately. Hopefully I'll get it in the winter sale instead

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
It's no Master of Magic (but what is?)

The latest expansion isn't bad, it just didn't turn out like I hoped. Galciv 3 will probably turn out better.

Fallen Enchantress is good, but yeah its still another modern fantasy Civ game that falls short of the great Master of Magic. MoM has yet to be topped even 20 years later IMHO. However, Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes does improve the game over the first installment, and that Gamersgate sale is ridiculously good. I've been waiting for FE:LH to go on a good sale for me to upgrade to it, and this is a great time to do so! $5 for FE:LH is ridiculously good.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Bored? Here's something to ease the pain of no new deals for five more hours.

thanks for the giveaway! :)

i played Retro/Grade for a while today and guess what, it does not recognize the PC Guitar Hero Controller as a guitar just as a regular controller :p

But at least it's possible to map the keys...

The game is... interesting... but also really confusing in the beginning

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
probably doesn't help that i gave salsa my oracle of seasons code
The Cuccos got to him. :(

Btw, awesome giveaway DerExperte. I love adventure games, so i'll give it a shot. :)

derExperte

i played Retro/Grade for a while today and guess what, it does not recognize the PC Guitar Hero Controller as a guitar just as a regular controller :p

:(

Have you tried installing the driver that was linked in one of the FAQs? You could also ask for help on the Steam forum, maybe there's some workaround.

Talyn

So glad I listened to all you guys that said to buy Gone Home earlier. I went into it not knowing anything about it other than what I recall seeing in a Giantbomb quicklook and I just finished it. Wow, I found it a lot more moving than I would have thought possible.

Ending spoilers:
Never have I wished for a run button in a game more than I did on the way to the attic. All the way there was I thinking "what did you do, what did you do?" because I was halfway suspecting she had killed herself up there which would have made for quite a heartwrenching ending. As it was it felt quite bittersweet in the end.

Parsnip

So what's the deal with Alice Madness Returns? Why's the EU base price so much higher (49.99€) than pretty much any other tier? This blows. Any advice for poor European who wants it? Can I change the region to br and buy it cheap? Region locks? HALP.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So what's the deal with Alice Madness Returns? Why's the EU base price so much higher (49.99€) than pretty much any other tier? This blows. Any advice for poor European who wants it? Can I change the region to br and buy it cheap? Region locks? HALP.

It's $50 here in Australia and EA just copy-pasted this price across all of PAL Land (sans UK). Hardly fair, but Valve's no saint with its insistence upon a default currency conversion rate of $1 = 1 Euro.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
it's on sale!
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-FELH/fallen-enchantress-legendary-heroes

I played some, not much, it's good, looks nice too and I like legendary heroes. I have problem with replenishing mana though, but I think that gets better later on.

Huh, so I'm trying to buy that on Gamergate and my transaction isn't going through. I've tried two different credit cards and it seems like it just won't accept payment. Ah well, guess I'll try it again later on.... :(

Slayven

Have you tried paypal? It should work.

not sure about dlc, don't think you'll need them, enough to do in this game as it is.
Huh, so I'm trying to buy that on Gamergate and my transaction isn't going through. I've tried two different credit cards and it seems like it just won't accept payment. Ah well, guess I'll try it again later on.... :(

yeah, but they have the same price on the humble bundle store, grabbed it there.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store

Overdoziz

Banned
Bought Outlast and tried to buy Gone Home, but because I got an error during the transaction I couldn't buy it in time before the flash deal ended. :(

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
:(

Have you tried installing the driver that was linked in one of the FAQs? You could also ask for help on the Steam forum, maybe there's some workaround.

it's ok, button mapping works fine :)

it's just totally strange that it seems like PS3 and X360 guitars work out of the box but the PC version doesn't

This fucking week. I bought a ticket to Australia for next year, which was pretty expensive and completely broke my budget. I'm still getting Skyrim LE and the Bioshock Triple Pack for Steam though. I also want to buy The Last of Us and a PS Plus subscription for my PS3. Fuck D:

epmode

Just out of curiosity, what you hoped for?

(re: Fallen Enchantress)

I was hoping for something far closer to Master of Magic. Tons of monster types and races, Civ-style empire building. The early screenshots also showed some really cool stuff when it came to the scale of the tactical battles.

As it turned out, the screenshots were unrepresentative mockups and the finished battle system was legitimately terrible. The rest of the game wasn't much better.

The Stardock CEO talked about it a bit here: http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/galacticcivilizationsiii/477/interview.html

The first Elemental game was a case of... a big part of that was we had never done a land-based game, as a result we really didn’t understand what we were getting into, and in terms of now we had to deal with terrain and now we have animation systems for that. It was too much. We didn’t have anywhere near the QA we should have had, we were too dependent on too few people, and one of the things we probably can’t ignore was the Impulse factor. We were heavily investing in Impulse, and in any company you have your best developers and I put them, the GalCiv II team was largely on Impulse, so we had a lot of younger, less experienced (still great talent) developers making Elemental.

We’ve greatly expanded since then as well, and the GalCiv II team is working on GalCiv III. The blame shouldn’t be placed on the developers; ultimately it was my fault for not realising... I mean, it’s funny, we’re a software company too, and we have a very engineering-like design process there. Project Managers, deadlines, clear goals etc... but then it comes to games we’re all like “yay! Let’s have some fun!”.

So after Elemental that’s where we changed things, games now have official Designers, they have official Producers, Associate Producers... and these are all positions that just didn’t exist back in Stardock pre-2010.

It got better after two expansions but the game is so far removed from Master of Magic that I just don't like to play it.

You could always try contacting one of these helpful chaps:

MRORANGE said:
You can ask these gaffers to buy you a game from a cheaper region.

Please remember: buyer must cover the Paypal charges and exchange rates means your are paying a different price.
If you want to be added to the list, send me a PM with the region you live in.

North America:

I H8 Memes
gabbo

Cuyejo

Not sure if I should get Skyrim after I was disappointed by Oblivion, but that price is pretty damn tempting.

Skyrim gets rid of everything that was "tedious" from Oblivion, some people like it, some people don't. I feel like Oblivion had more interesting quests though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom