• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Monooboe

I'm ok with Dragon Age winning, loved it. It's my GOTY, that or Wolfenstein, note sure yet.

Also I need that new Zelda!

The last musical piece is alot better than I thought it would be.

It's kinda crazy. I knew a former member of Imagine Dragons, I've got their first CD, like their FIRST, burned-in-their-own-garage-on-their-own-computer CD. Their style changed a lot, and I don't dig it so much now, but it's crazy seeing how far they've come. Playing a song for Nintendo... Pretty neat.

They've been hyping this last reveal all night... It better live up to it.

Uzzy

be honest, guys

did any one of you really think that dragon age wasn't gonna win?

also damn this imagine dragons zelda music thing is pretty awesome

I thought a good game might win GOTY, so yeah.

Was that it for reveals? Link riding around without any user control doesn't seem amazing to me.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
And now, after we tricked you into listening with cool music: This shit song that was big some time ago.

You do know the Zelda thing WAS the last reveal? At least I'm pretty sure

Parsnip

I really hope that the gamepad aiming in Zelda is optional and I can use the pro controller or whatever it's called.

Koji Kondo is a legend.

Jawmuncher

It's kinda crazy. I knew a former member of Imagine Dragons, I've got their first CD, like their FIRST, burned-in-their-own-garage-on-their-own-computer CD. Their style changed a lot, and I don't dig it so much now, but it's crazy seeing how far they've come. Playing a song for Nintendo... Pretty neat.

I thought Zelda was the reveal?

Maniac

Banned
Just what the new Derrick would likely say!

Oh come on, I'm not that bad >_>... Am I?

Seriously, tell me if I become Derrick. I'll commit sudoku the instant it happens.

But the VGAs and it's variants has had this effect on a lot of critical thinkin' people. It's just pure, unfiltered pain entering our mind through our eyes and ears, and it gets converted into unadulterated and pure hatred for the industry and the majority of it's audience.

I still love you guys though. So there's that. :p
So where's the Bad Rats 2 reveal? We're running out of time.

C'mon

Bad Rats and Rad Bats are too good for TGAVGAVGXes.

Zafir

I was sure it'd win. The majority of gamers are really just blatant idiots. It shows in the popularity of a lot of trash franchises, generic games and rehashed releases. I mean, WoW with good graphics with noone to chat to and worse writing does... Sound... Not bad I guess? So yeah. It won. Surprise surprise. I'm more surprised that Geoff managed to yet again hype up a show full of nothing and like... What, one unrevealed game? >_<'

I still love Geoff though. :|

Bitter much?

While I agree there's quite a few mediocre side quests, and I really wished that time would have been spent adding more main story missions or companion stuff, it was still a great game. That isn't the only thing the game offered, after all.

denx

Oh come on, I'm not that bad >_>... Am I?

Seriously, tell me if I become Derrick. I'll commit sudoku the instant it happens.

But the VGAs and it's variants has had this effect on a lot of critical thinkin' people. It's just pure, unfiltered pain entering our mind through our eyes and ears, and it gets converted into unadulterated and pure hatred for the industry and the majority of it's audience.

I still love you guys though. So there's that. :p

C'mon

Bad Rats and Rad Bats are too good for TGAVGAVGXes.

When you're calling people idiots for their game preferences... yah, not cool dude.

zkylon

zkylewd
I was sure it'd win. The majority of gamers are really just blatant idiots. It shows in the popularity of a lot of trash franchises, generic games and rehashed releases. I mean, WoW with good graphics with noone to chat to and worse writing does... Sound... Not bad I guess? So yeah. It won. Surprise surprise. I'm more surprised that Geoff managed to yet again hype up a show full of nothing and like... What, one unrevealed game? >_<'

I still love Geoff though. :|

i dunno, i think it was a good show, i may find a lot about it questionable but it's not an outright insult to devs like previous vgas and it's had its entertaining parts and trailers for games i like and new interesting stuff too

the nominees for gotys are ok and in the end they chose their favorite. i feel like people are impossible to please, guys here were even complaining when they devoted a segment to king's quest or that gone home game, so i dunno what people's expecting

i think it was the best vgas yet

I thought a good game might win GOTY, so yeah.

Was that it for reveals? Link riding around without any user control doesn't seem amazing to me.
yea i agree the zelda gameplay thing was pretty lame

When you're calling people idiots for their game preferences... yah, not cool dude.
yup

specially since i think the nominees selection was quite good. no call of duty bullshit or anything while having room for games like bayonetta and dark souls that aren't exactly super duper mainstream.

like it's their choice, even neogaf voted skyrim game of the year, people like these games and they're not idiots for it

tmarg

DS2 should have won. better RPG.

And if Divinity:OS doesn't win steamgaf GOTY, I'm gonna be pissed.

I'd feel weird giving it to DS2 just because the previous one was so much better. Mordor was cool for what it was, but it felt more like a tech demo for a more complete game to me.

I was surprised Divinity didn't even make their short list.

Jawmuncher

Overall it was a good show.
Easily the best Game Awards we have had.
If that one guy would have shut the hell up and those 2 hollywood actors would have never shown up with their bad Pac-Man and Rock band jokes it would have been a smoother event.

Reveals were all over the place. No real megatons but still good stuff.

But... We already knew about Zelda?

Guess you're right. That was a shitty build up.

Yeah a little bit weak that it was some gameplay elements shown on half a screen over something with a bigger build.

Maniac

Banned
Bitter much?

While I agree there's quite a few mediocre side quests, and I really wished that time would have been spent adding more main story missions or companion stuff, it was still a great game. That isn't the only thing the game offered, after all.

Not in the slightest.

I'm just a reasonable person who has played tons of great RPGs (and bad ones) and read a ton of great literature, and DA:I fits into the latter of the RPG category.

It's a great singleplayer MMO though. But design wise it is absolutely atrocious in soooo many ways.

And yet, I still enjoy playing it a bit. But it's so incredibly bland more often than not that I just can't justify even calling it all-around 'good'

The majority of gamers and general consumers are to some extent 'idiots' though. Uninformed and don't care to be informed. It's quite appropriate really. I'm just saying that I don't expect much from GOTYs in general because... Well, generally a lot of people just circlejerk over one thing and... You know. Really wasn't meant as a slight to anyone whatsoever. I'm fine with people liking or loving DA:I, but ojectively it just doesn't stand up to a lot of what this year has had to offer is all.

... Anyway... This show was...
... A lot better than the VGA's, and a million times better than VGX. I really don't know if that's saying much though :p

zkylon

zkylewd
DS2 should have won. better RPG.

And if Divinity:OS doesn't win steamgaf GOTY, I'm gonna be pissed.

divinity won't be my goty that's for sure :p (tho it'll be on the list)

I'd feel weird giving it to DS2 just because the previous one was so much better. Mordor was cool for what it was, but it felt more like a tech demo for a more complete game to me.

I was surprised Divinity didn't even make their short list.
it would but let's be honest here

b team dark souls is still much better than 90% of the aaa games out there

i would've given it to bayonetta

bayonetta is fucking awesome

Zafir

Not in the slightest.

I'm just a reasonable person who has played tons of great RPGs (and bad ones) and read a ton of great literature, and DA:I fits into the latter of the RPG category.

It's a great singleplayer MMO though. But design wise it is absolutely atrocious in soooo many ways.

And yet, I still enjoy playing it a bit. But it's so incredibly bland more often than not that I just can't justify even calling it all-around 'good'

What, and those of us who do consider it good/great/GOTY aren't reasonable and haven't played tonnes of great RPGs?

denx

That was alright, they just need to trim it down for next year, 3 hours is overkill.

But yeah, I liked the show, good job Geoff.

hannibal-well-done.gif

Parsnip

Well, good job my boy Geoff. It was an alright mix of trailers and awards, just as I expected. My pick of the nominees would have been Dark Souls 2 of course, but not everyone can be me.

That Zelda reveal was a bit too hyped for what they ended up showing though. I mean it's smart that the horse doesn't run into trees but eh.

The_Monk

I was sure it'd win. The majority of gamers are really just blatant idiots. It shows in the popularity of a lot of trash franchises, generic games and rehashed releases. I mean, WoW with good graphics with noone to chat to and worse writing does... Sound... Not bad I guess?

I think it's great to have diversity in this industry and there's a lot of different games and genres to pick in these awards but calling names to the majority of gamers is something I don't understand. What's even the point? There's no reason to hate, believe me. We all have different tastes, a game can be GOTY contender for some while for others it can be a completely bland and forgettable experience but it's not because of such thing that some people are idiots. It's all about respecting each other's taste in the end in a polite manner since there's so much to choose from.

Jawmuncher

That was alright, they just need to trim it down for next year, 3 hours is overkill.

But yeah, I liked the show, good job Geoff.

http://www.jamspreader.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/hannibal-well-done.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

It will depend on budget they get for next year.
That huge length was partly because of the ads.
Some of them were really long such as Eve.

Maniac

Banned
What, and those of us who do consider it good/great/GOTY aren't reasonable and haven't played tonnes of great RPGs?
I've seemed to forgotten to write half of what I was thinking of whilst writing. And really, that's not at all what I'm trying to say. But DA:I just isn't a great RPG, it really isn't. But that shouldn't get in the way of people enjoying it for what it is.

And you're the one that's starting to sound bitter. I didn't mean any offense at all lol. If I sound like a dick or something it's because it's darn late in euroland and I've been up for 31 hours. If so, I'm sorry.

It's still not worthy of a GOTY though. :p

Uzzy

Better than last years awards show, but still not great. Good, not great. If we could have an awards show that didn't push some big awards to the side in favour of trailers for games we already know about, that'd be a positive for next year.

zkylon

zkylewd
personally i think the game of the year thing is kind of frustrating because by giving indie games their own award they're kind of disallowing them from being on the goty nominees

i feel like shovel knight should really have been a goty nominee

shovel knight is amazing

Better than last years awards show, but still not great. Good, not great. If we could have an awards show that didn't push some big awards to the side in favour of trailers for games we already know about, that'd be a positive for next year.

i agree with this sentiment

Parsnip

personally i think the game of the year thing is kind of frustrating because by giving indie games their own award they're kind of disallowing them from being on the goty nominees

i feel like shovel knight should really have been a goty nominee

shovel knight is amazing

I like you and this post of yours.

Top Bottom