• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Zafir

I've seemed to forgotten to write half of what I was thinking of whilst writing. And really, that's not at all what I'm trying to say. But DA:I just isn't a great RPG, it really isn't. But that shouldn't get in the way of people enjoying it for what it is.

And you're the one that's starting to sound bitter. I didn't mean any offense at all lol. If I sound like a dick or something it's because it's darn late in euroland and I've been up for 31 hours. If so, I'm sorry.

It's still not worthy of a GOTY though. :p

Well, I'm also from Europe, so I'm up late as well. :p

I'm not bitter, I just don't really appreciate people who look down on others for their taste or opinions. Taste and opinion after all, is subjective. You seem to be trying to push yours as objective. :p

I think it's great to have diversity in this industry and there's a lot of different games and genres to pick in these awards but calling names to the majority of gamers is something I don't understand. What's even the point? There's no reason to hate, believe me. We all have different tastes, a game can be GOTY contender for some while for others it can be a completely bland and forgettable experience but it's not because of such thing that some people are idiots. It's all about respecting each other's taste in the end in a polite manner since there's so much to choose from.

Thank you Monk, well said.

Maniac

Banned
I think it's great to have diversity in this industry and there's a lot of different games and genres to pick in these awards but calling names to the majority of gamers is something I don't understand. What's even the point? There's no reason to hate, believe me. We all have different tastes, a game can be GOTY contender for some while for others it can be a completely bland and forgettable experience but it's not because of such thing that some people are idiots. It's all about respecting each other's taste in the end in a polite manner since there's so much to choose from.

Wise words from a wise man.

I still have to disagree, though. With the numbers CoD and the likes rakes in time and time again. Idiot is probably incredibly harsh because I'm having a hard time with my manners cause I'm so damn tired. I think I'm calling it a day. Goodnight everyone! Or well, good morning! Sweet dreams and sleep tight you lovely people. What an interesting but dull night we had! :p
DA:I is a bad DA game.

And also bad at being many other things.

But the people hath spoken, and I'm Derrick.

Although 'The Dude' had a quote that very much matched Derrick. "You're not wrong; you're just an asshole", although I've no intention of being an asshole, so...
Sudoku time.

Well, I'm also from Europe, so I'm up late as well. :p

I'm not bitter, I just don't really appreciate people who look down on others for their taste or opinions. Taste and opinion after all, is subjective. You seem to be trying to push yours as objective. :p

Well, there is objectivity involved in how good something really is. Especially a genre that's mostly defined by the writing. Which is something Bioware hasn't done well for a while now, and the majority in DA:I is also... Yeah. Kind of meh.

Anyway, good morning n' sleep tight ;)

Zafir

Very true. What would we do without the reasonable Monk.

Holy crap in a pita at Chapter 9 in TEW. I need to ask my medical doctor if I can continue playing this game without risking permanent damage to my heart/psyche.

Yeah a little bit weak that it was some gameplay elements shown on half a screen over something with a bigger build.

We knew nothing about Zelda... all that Zelda Skyrim where just speculations, now we know for sure.

Fair enough. I knew they'd been talking about Zelda a bit, but I guess maybe that was a bigger deal than it seemed. I don't keep up with Ninty because I have no reason to.

Still, pretty weak hype up for what they actually showed.

Also, anybody know what that song is they introduce Sutherland and Kojima to? It's rad as hell. Is it a real song? If so, I'm gonna guess it's something from MGS?

Parsnip

Well, I tweeted my feedback to sir Keighley, it's 7:15am and now it's time to sleep. Technically it should have been time to sleep a long time ago, but vidya gaems. Getting up tomorrow is going to be fun fun.

I just can't understand why my opinion doesn't matter while opinions from people who have different taste/view are sound like more justified.

Just got home, is there a short sweet highlight about the show somewhere?

Here you go:
YEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!
AWWWWWWW!!! AWWWWWWWWWW!!!!
WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! WOOOOOOOO!!!

Also DJ'ing with your gameboy stuff.
EDIT: How can I forget this.
bxgsS7q.gif
Saved the whole thing for me /s

oipic

On the whole, I think Keighley and his team put together a good show.

The balance of premieres, awards, retrospectives from the year past and fluff pieces could be fine-tuned and tweaked a little, and production-wise, the audio was a bit all over the place (at least for me), but it was all entertaining enough - even the more cringe-worthy bits, just for being so cringe-worthy.

The tribute to Roberta and Ken Williams was moving, and a pleasant surprise.

Nice work, Geoff - well done, and kudos for having the courage to get the whole show off the ground in the first place.

Jawmuncher

wait, now that i think about it... am i wrong or there was no acceptance speech for dragon age?

how can that be

They actually seemed to have kept the awards secret this time around.

I just can't understand why my opinion doesn't matter while opinions from people who have different taste/view are sound like more justified.

Your opinion matters.
Just stuff gets lost or ignored once the debates and what not start flowing.
Sometimes the feelings towards certain parties are a bit strong for other remarks.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Auto horse movement in Zelda? I suppose it's good for the camera and bow use, but I dunno.

Still has my favorite Link design since Wind Waker, from what I've seen at least.

Holy crap in a pita at Chapter 9 in TEW. I need to ask my medical doctor if I can continue playing this game without risking permanent damage to my heart/psyche.

How do you feel about the (I'll try to keep even the spoilers as vague as possible)
the invincible enemy that occasionally appears
in that chapter? I remember hearing it was divisive.

What opinion are you talking about?
What did I miss?

My GOTY is currently Bravely Default and Transistor for SteamGAF.

I've been really picky with games this year.

I refuse to believe that anything on the 3DS will ever qualify as a GOTY.
Maybe Bravely Default is that good... but of what I played of the 3DS library before mine started it's job as a dust magnet, the only thing that could even make my top 10 is A Link Between Worlds.

I think, unless something makes my opinion of the game change drastically in the last 6 chapters or so that The Evil Within will be my GOTY. Dark Souls 2 is currently a close second with MGR:R, Yaiba, Killer is Dead, Shovel Knight, Binding of Isaac: Rebirth being 7 of my top 10 at the moment.

--

BinaryPork -- I haven't finished Chapter 9 -- just started it... so I'm not sure I should look at your spoiler yet.

Backlogger

I enjoyed the show as well. Some production issues with people missing their queues, but whatever. I actually didn't realize the show was in Vegas until earlier today. I think I would have tried to go since I live here. There were still tickets for sale even early this morning and did not appear to be a sold out show.

Definitely want a PS4 for exclusives and Wii U for Zeldarim

Liked the tribute to Robert and Ken Williams (much feels). My first foray into PC gaming was with the Sierra games (unless I count playing Commodore 64 games at my neighbors house). I thought the new Kings Quest looked promising, but I am not going to let myself set too high of expectations for it reviving the feelings of when I first started playing those games 20+ years ago...

zkylon

zkylewd
On the whole, I think Keighley and his team put together a good show.

The balance of premieres, awards, retrospectives from the year past and fluff pieces could be fine-tuned and tweaked a little, and production-wise, the audio was a bit all over the place (at least for me), but it was all entertaining enough - even the more cringe-worthy bits, just for being so cringe-worthy.

The tribute to Roberta and Ken Williams was moving, and a pleasant surprise.

Nice work, Geoff - well done, and kudos for having the courage to get the whole show off the ground in the first place.

yeah, good work geoff

it took you a few years but you finally made a vgas worth respect

there's (many) improvements to be had but it's at least a start

but yeah give fucking goty and developer of the year winners acceptance speeches darn it lol

(seriously did no one from bioware accept it? i had a few shots and can't remember lol)

What did I miss?
referring to maniac stupidly calling dragon age fans idiots for liking inquisition

tmarg

I think, unless something makes my opinion of the game change drastically in the last 6 chapters or so that The Evil Within will be my GOTY. Dark Souls 2 is currently a close second with MGR:R, Yaiba, Killer is Dead, Shovel Knight, Binding of Isaac: Rebirth being 7 of my top 10 at the moment.

Shovel Knight is on the 3DS

Shovel Knight is on the 3DS

Yeah, and it's also on PC -- it's not a 3DS exclusive. It's not a game made FOR 3DS and ported out (like Steamworld Dig, for example). It was a game made for Nintendo consoles (it's on WiiU too, right?) and PC pretty much from the start.
Sorry, I should've clarified that. Sure, the 3DS can run it. And if next year Mighty No. 9 is amazing and makes it on my GOTY list, it won't be the 3DS version I played.

Jawmuncher

What did I miss?

Maybe Bravely Default is that good... but of what I played of the 3DS library before mine started it's job as a dust magnet, the only thing that could even make my top 10 is A Link Between Worlds.

--

BinaryPork -- I haven't finished Chapter 9 -- just started it... so I'm not sure I should look at your spoiler yet.

My biggest criteria is always how much a game hooks me to it.
I couldn't put BD down once I started, the other year prior it was FE:A for the same reason. This is coming from someone who even with that prefers his vita for the more console-like games it has. If a game is good it's good regardless of where its played.

That has been it for games that have really hooked me this year.
Still need to try and play DS2 before the year ends. EW I wanted to like more but just came out as being nothing more than decent.

Got my Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris from Ubisoft and yep, it's a Steam key. Can't wait to play this when it releases next week.

I won Collapse, first time I've won something on Steamgifts in half a year. Top review had me intrigued enough to enter.
What are the chances. I won it too today! Still waiting for the email.
Game does look promising. Ukrainian dev I read.

EDIT: Oh snap! Checked my mail. I got the key!

There were so many collateral gifts on steamgifts, I thought a price mistake happened.

I asked the first day I showed up, but I was just curious; when game nights happen, what are the usual suspects for games that we play around here? If there's a place with this info, please point me in the right direction? D:

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

I think, unless something makes my opinion of the game change drastically in the last 6 chapters or so that The Evil Within will be my GOTY. Dark Souls 2 is currently a close second with MGR:R, Yaiba, Killer is Dead, Shovel Knight, Binding of Isaac: Rebirth being 7 of my top 10 at the moment

MGR:R was last year, at least the PC version of it made it to my 2013 GOTY list.

Have you played games like Fire Emblem Awakening, Bravely Default, Kid Icarus Uprising(!), Animal Crossing, Ace Attorney 5, and Shin Megami Tensei IV? All games that would easily make it to my goty list if they came out this year (the last one actually did though :p) Smash too of course, if not for the Wii U version which is soooo goooood

You need to open your heart and accept Jesus in your life breh

Grief.exe

Its releasing on the 18th. Which is a Thursday that most definitely starts the winter sale.

So there probably won't be a preorder.

That's really the ultimate way to start the Winter sale for both Konami and consumers.

From a consumer perspective, you get a hugely anticipated game to cap off one of the most exciting sales of the year. For Konami, you get that massive front page revenue boost.

It was a genius move for Konami to do the same thing with MGRR last year, but then we had to wait an entire month to play.

I've played a couple hours of The Last Tinker and it's really good, graphics are really colorful and charming, and gameplay is fun even though it's an easy game so far.

The story is interesting enough, and it has likeable characters and lots of humour.

Anyone interested in 3D Platformers, should buy the game, specially since there are not too many of those on PC.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

SMT IV was my GOTY last year because it was the game I enjoyed the most that came out last year :p

Obligatory soundtrack mention here.

Fire Emblem: Awakening was up there, too. It's a great system if you like RPGs, but if someone doesn't like them and is indifferent to the rest of Nintendo's franchises then I can see how the 3DS wouldn't be that appealing.

Yeah, just wait until you finish the chapter.

My biggest criteria is always how much a game hooks me to it.
I couldn't put BD down once I started, the other year prior it was FE:A for the same reason. This is coming from someone who even with that prefers his vita for the more console-like games it has. If a game is good it's good regardless of where its played.

That has been it for games that have really hooked me this year.
Still need to try and play DS2 before the year ends. EW I wanted to like more but just came out as being nothing more than decent.

Bravely Default was pretty good. I still think that chapter six shouldn't have been in the game. It's easily my least favorite chapter because unlike chapter five, which establishes the main point of the game, and the later chapters, it doesn't really add that much variety to the side-quest boss encounters. Later chapters mix it up and start including different boss combinations, but chapter six is just there, wasting space.

It's still probably going to end up somewhere on my list though. I just haven't played a whole lot of games released this year.

did I miss anything important at the game awards?

Only PC related things were the announcements of Banner Saga 2 and the new King's Quest game. Bloodborne looked kinda cool, there was stuff for Zelda Wii U, and Dragon Age won the game of the year award.

donny2112

We knew nothing about Zelda... all that Zelda Skyrim where just speculations, now we know for sure.

I really hope it's not like a massive game such as Skyrim or even Skyward Sword in length for the main quest. 50-hour main quest for Zelda is too much. It can be that long or longer with side quests, etc., but I really prefer half that or less for regular Zelda titles. That preview world looked pretty big, though ...

Top Bottom