• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Anteater

Can't think of a game I'd call my GoTY from the games I've played this year.

They were ok.

None of the games were good enough to make me want to go back and explore it more and form a better opinion more than "it's decent fun when I'm bored"

I'd give my ok game of the year to Metal Gear Rising

Best games you should pick up for 5 to 7 bucks: Killer is dead and Child of Light/Valiant hearts

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
why isn't shovel knight discounted

According to Yacht Club Games:

Hey all. There are no plans quite yet for Shovel Knight to make a discounted appearance during this holiday season. The team here continues to be 100% focused on providing free update content for the game with our goal being that we can maximize your proverbial "bang for you buck" by making the game that much better.

If Shovel Knight just isn't yet at your personal value vs price point for you, I recommend taking a look at the seemingly limitless variety of discounted games available during the sale! We had an excellent thread on this very forum where everyone chipped in their personal recommendations for titles similar to this one. I even have a post in there myself!

Thanks again to all Shovel Knight players! Whether you just picked it up this weekend or were with us way back when we were just embarked on the game's development.

Speevy

Banned
Who's up for a giveaway?

ModBot said:
Instructions for Speevy:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Speevy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Lumino City -- MB-D80C9C165669945C - Taken by cardinalmind. 26 entrants total.

capsule_467x181.jpg

t1417860982z1.png

Khronico

Hmmm. Came home from a party and watched all the trailers from the TGAs. Surprisingly interested in BF Hardline (campaign specifically), tepidly optimistic about No Man's Sky, Witcher 3 looking amazing as always, and MGO makes me even more hyped for Phantom Pain. I would be more excited for No Man's Sky but with PC stuff like Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen on the horizon it's a bit dampened. The gameplay of the latter games look way, WAY more fun to me, although NMS does have some neat ideas.

Edit: I completely forgot I watched the Order trailer too. That's how memorable it was. lol

SMT IV was my GOTY last year because it was the game I enjoyed the most that came out last year :p

Obligatory soundtrack mention here.

Fire Emblem: Awakening was up there, too. It's a great system if you like RPGs, but if someone doesn't like them and is indifferent to the rest of Nintendo's franchises then I can see how the 3DS wouldn't be that appealing.

Yeah, just wait until you finish the chapter.

Bravely Default was pretty good. I still think that chapter six shouldn't have been in the game. It's easily my least favorite chapter because unlike chapter five, which establishes the main point of the game, and the later chapters, it doesn't really add that much variety to the side-quest boss encounters. Later chapters mix it up and start including different boss combinations, but chapter six is just there, wasting space.

It's still probably going to end up somewhere on my list though. I just haven't played a whole lot of games released this year.

Only PC related things were the announcements of Banner Saga 2 and the new King's Quest game. Bloodborne looked kinda cool, there was stuff for Zelda Wii U, and Dragon Age won the game of the year award.

Bloodborne looked more than cool to me. It looked good enough that I'm starting to regret my decision to come to SteamGAF last November and I'm starting to think I should've just gotten a PS4 instead. Now I'm going to have to buy a fucking console for it and meanwhile I'm irritated at my 2gb 770 and want to upgrade it to a 970 or 980... which if I go for the former is almost the cost of a PS4 and the latter is definitely more than a PS4 + Bloodborne + Guilty Gear Xrd and maybe even a fight stick if I need a new one.

As far as TEW, I'll get back to you later on that...

And I agree with the "game you enjoyed the most". I just have a really really hard time enjoying anything on 3DS -- between the stunningly bad hardware (from the iffy dpad to the flimsy buttons to the screen permanently smeared with Vaseline plus all my other problems with Nintendo (account system, lack of acheivements/trophies, lack of games that actually interest), it's really hard for me to find anything redeeming about what is currently a waste of money collecting dust somewhere in my house. It was kind of a gift though, so I can't even really sell it. At least I can remind myself that Majora's Mask is being remastered for it and maybe that will make it a little more worth owning.

MGR:R was last year, at least the PC version of it made it to my 2013 GOTY list.

Have you played games like Fire Emblem Awakening, Bravely Default, Kid Icarus Uprising(!), Animal Crossing, Ace Attorney 5, and Shin Megami Tensei IV? All games that would easily make it to my goty list if they came out this year (the last one actually did though :p) Smash too of course, if not for the Wii U version which is soooo goooood

You need to open your heart and accept Jesus in your life breh

Let's see:
(1) Fire Emblem is pretty much an SRPG with permadeath, no? Definitely not my jam.
(2) Bravely Default is kind of Final Fantasy Next? Yeah, it might be of interest, but I've not had much of strong interest in JRPGs lately and I've already got a huge backlog... adding another to the pile with no interest currently? I'll pick it up used for sub $15 someday maybe.
(3) Kid Icarus -- most people complain about this game due to the controls and gameplay design, from what I've seen. I've seen nothing that makes me want to run out and buy it, despite really liking Pit and being glad he's made a resurgence.
(4) Animal Crossing -- cutesy "life" simulator? DEFINITELY not my jam.
(5) Ace Attorney -- I played the first Phoenix Wright game on DS and I ended up loathing it. I didn't like anything about it, really, except maybe Miles Edgeworth. And I definitely am not a Phoenix fan, I hated him being added as a joke character to UMvC3 when there were much better fan requests out there, and I just plain do not like the series. [I'm sure this will earn me a ton of boothisman.gifs and the like, since popular opinion is that these games are some sort of gift from God...]
(6) I looked into SMT IV after trying Persona 4 Golden because it had gone on sale for Vita and I was thinking "oh shit, is there more things of this quality that I've been missing out on?" But then I looked into the gameplay and stuff and it wasn't anything I was interested in, as it seemed to be more of a Dungeon Crawler RPG with a lot of first-person movement/viewpoints, which I dislike. So it was quickly dropped from the list.
(7) Smash is up there as another one of the popular Nintendo franchises I absolutely loathe. I remember *THINKING* I had fun with SSBM, but when it came down to it, the game was only really fun against other people in a social setting for me (much like the only time I ever had fun with Uncharted multiplayer was on some random match where it was a free-for-all and all guns had suddenly been replaced by RPGs). So playing a version of this game that is scaled down to fit 3DS combined with the abysmal 3DS hardware itself... yeah, no thanks.

Jesus is all well and good, but unless Reggie Fils-Amie is actually the second coming of Christ, Nintendo is about 2 generations removed from my good graces and I'm thinking back on my N64 and Gamecube experiences noting that they fell far short of the glory days of the NES and SNES. WiiU has a bit of promise at times and I want to like Nintendo again, but they're just not doing it for me. After Bayonetta 2, the most compelling reason I've found to own a WiiU is... well, I'm actually still waiting [Wonderful 101 and Zombi U aside]. I thought maybe the Zelda footage would wow me after I'd been told it was one thing I missed from the presentation and I went and looked up the video... and was left sorely disappointed. Honestly, the best "world premiere" I saw tonight was that first video for Mario Maker... but it wasn't enough to sell me a WiiU yet.

Pandemic

Has anyone played Rescue: Everyday Heroes? Pretty good game, wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is.

While the graphics aren't great, the detail in terms of mechanics are solid. If they were to improve a few areas, it could potentially be better than the new Emergency 5...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
new game by brothers dev is a EA game? welp

Speevy

Banned
Really interested in Malebolgia. Anyone play it? I'm loving what I've seen of it thus far, just want to hear a second opinion on it.

I love the style of it, but I can't really make heads or tails of what it entails besides running around a castle full of enemies.

Is there more to the game than that?

I love the style of it, but I can't really make heads or tails of what it entails besides running around a castle full of enemies.

Is there more to the game than that?

I dunno, but I just love the style as well, the general minimalist look of it, and there are some NPC interactions. It is in early access, right? I'm sure more story related stuff will be dropped on as it progresses.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Speevy, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Speevy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Lumino City -- MB-D80C9C165669945C - Taken by cardinalmind. 26 entrants total.

t1417860982z1.png

TB won the gamer award at TGA? I thought PewDiePie would rally his followers for that. He didn't give a shit? That's pretty telling then lol.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I came home to see I got gifted KOF98 from a friend...then I realized I can't accept it because I'm still suspended
chansub-global-emoticon-f6c13c7fc0a5c93d-36x30.png
lol

Anyways Day 1 MGO steamgaf game-night when it releases?

It looks so goood.

Considering that my new PC should arrive on monday and looking at my wishlist, next year is looking crazy gaming wise:

From starters, games I already own and want to play but couldn't on my current PC:

- Evil Within
- Wolfenstein
- Finishing Wasteland 2
- Divinity Original Sin

Old games that want to eventually play:
- Fallout NV / 3
- Bio Infinite
- Max Payne 3
- Shadowrun + the DLC
- Silent Hill HOmecoming

Games that I started but might even finish someday:
- Enslaved
- Dishonored
- the newest X-COMs
- Transistor

Brandspanking games that I have either preordered or will buy day 1:
- MGS5
- RE HD edition (own it on GC though)
- Hotline Miami 2
- GTAV
- New episodes of Kentacky Route Zero
- Far Cry 4 coming with the GPU

Etc. etc.

That said, I do agree with Dr Dogg there below.

Dr Dogg

The gaming industry is so backwards at times. Where you have 'main events' that are more geared trying to sell you shit either directly or indirectly than inform, inspire and enlighten. I think The Oscars are a load of self congratulatory wank but can you imagine if they stopped between every award, even cut some out to show you teaser and preview trailers of stuff coming out at a later date or tried to hock DVD sales rather than give out an awards for technical achievement. That shit would get call out and laughed out of town but just checking twitter and a few boards there's some scary reactions to last nights latest marketing push. Looking at the list of winners and the guests involved it sounds more akin to something MTV would put out, I'm surprised there wasn't an award for best kiss (Ass Creed Unity might have one something then).

How on earth can you honestly think about awarding something a prize that only came out 3 weeks ago? I've barely started Dragon Age: Inquisition but I would think if I had finished it by now for the purpose of fairness I want the dust to set to collect my thoughts for a good two months, at least to look back over every release I had played this calendar year to consider everything and not what was fresh in the mind. It might even be a worthy winner but when you have nominations announced so soon and before the year is even out it sound like selection by dart board.

BAFTA have been acknowledging achievement in gaming since 1998 and the Game Developers Choice Awards have been around since 2001 but neither get's a tenth of the attention of what the VGA's do mainly because it's been know to show new stuff. Sure the BAFTA Game Awards and Game Developers Choice Awards might not be perfect and still have sponsorship deals and such but they are a far cry from the VGA's. For a start they are peer awards, they are much more considered and debated. Though come March next year next to no one will care that much, least not here, unless their favourite game picks something up. There won't be discussions spanning nigh on 300 pages about why who won what or did x game raise the bar over last years award winner in that category. Coupled that with most if not all the amazing talks and presentations from GDC itself will have little to no interest despite really giving a great insight into the creation, design, technique, engineering, craft, and narrative building changes and improvements the industry is continuing to make progress in year on year.

Most folks would rather see a platform holder presser than listen to Tim Sweeney talk about UE4, watch the media circle jerk interviews with CEO's and Senior Producers teasing their game and not being pressed for answers than see Warren Spector and Doug Church tear apart Deus Ex, watch an 'exclusive' target render or vertical slice of the next big thing from 9,000 Ubisoft employees than have American McGee talk about the challenges of global development on Alice: Madness Returns, some world rather listen to a bunch of suits talk about brands and forecast than John Carmack fluently and organically speak his mind about the industry and development today.

I'm not saying the cycle of promotion should die in the corner or that you shouldn't get excited for new shiny stuff but just have a thought for the unnamed and largely ignored 1,000's upon 1,000's who make this all happen in all manner of different way. Maybe I just have different interests than the majority but when you look at the sorry state of the games media and how shackled they are to the whole promotional circus it's not hard to see why.

Right that's my grumpy rant for the morning out the way :p

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
The gaming industry is so backwards at times. Where you have 'main events' that are more geared trying to sell you shit either directly or indirectly than inform, inspire and enlighten. I think The Oscars are a load of self congratulatory wank but can you imagine if they stopped between every award, even cut some out to show you teaser and preview trailers of stuff coming out at a later date or tried to hock DVD sales rather than give out an awards for technical achievement. That shit would get call out and laughed out of town but just checking twitter and a few boards there's some scary reactions to last nights latest marketing push. Looking at the list of winners and the guests involved it sounds more akin to something MTV would put out, I'm surprised there wasn't an award for best kiss (Ass Creed Unity might have one something then).

How on earth can you honestly think about awarding something a prize that only came out 3 weeks ago? I've barely started Dragon Age: Inquisition but I would think if I had finished it by now for the purpose of fairness I want the dust to set to collect my thoughts for a good two months, at least to look back over every release I had played this calendar year to consider everything and not what was fresh in the mind. It might even be a worthy winner but when you have nominations announced so soon and before the year is even out it sound like selection by dart board.

BAFTA have been acknowledging achievement in gaming since 1998 and the Game Developers Choice Awards have been around since 2001 but neither get's a tenth of the attention of what the VGA's do mainly because it's been know to show new stuff. Sure the BAFTA Game Awards and Game Developers Choice Awards might not be perfect and still have sponsorship deals and such but they are a far cry from the VGA's. For a start they are peer awards, they are much more considered and debated. Though come March next year next to no one will care that much, least not here, unless their favourite game picks something up. There won't be discussions spanning nigh on 300 pages about why who won what or did x game raise the bar over last years award winner in that category. Coupled that with most if not all the amazing talks and presentations from GDC itself will have little to no interest despite really giving a great insight into the creation, design, technique, engineering, craft, and narrative building changes and improvements the industry is continuing to make progress in year on year.

Most folks would rather see a platform holder presser than listen to Tim Sweeney talk about UE4, watch the media circle jerk interviews with CEO's and Senior Producers teasing their game and not being pressed for answers than see Warren Spector and Doug Church tear apart Deus Ex, watch an 'exclusive' target render or vertical slice of the next big thing from 9,000 Ubisoft employees than have American McGee talk about the challenges of global development on Alice: Madness Returns, some world rather listen to a bunch of suits talk about brands and forecast than John Carmack fluently and organically speak his mind about the industry and development today.

I'm not saying the cycle of promotion should die in the corner or that you shouldn't get excited for new shiny stuff but just have a thought for the unnamed and largely ignored 1,000's upon 1,000's who make this all happen in all manner of different way. Maybe I just have different interests than the majority but when you look at the sorry state of the games media and how shackled they are to the whole promotional circus it's not hard to see why.

grumpy Dogg is grumpy ;)

Maniac

Banned
Modding doesn't change the mediocre combat suddenly into something good tho.

Then you've not modded it heavily enough :p

There are a lot of mods that change combat, anything from animations to balance to timing etc. Ofcourse, there's only so much modders can do but enough mods and you can actually make it feel pretty good. Archery rocks with a few mods, but then again it is, imo, the combat variant that's best out of all the vanilla ones.
Was there anything interesting at that awards show? A quick look at the first gaming page didn't indicate anything.

Kind of... Well, absolutely nothing? There weren't any actual, unannounced games revealed. I mean, we heard that Brothers' studio was bought by EA, and then we saw a train-car-sitting simulator CGI teaser from them.

It wasn't even that purdy. :(
Yeah, given that she's a
lesbian plane shifter
she's pretty much the ideal video game character.
I looooove me some Ciri. She's so awesome...

ViviOggi

Yup, the hype culture that has been fostered in games is quite something. I wonder what outside people watching this show would have said.

Nice post btw

To be fair, I'm an adult and I just voted for the dude with the least dumb name, and those too were probably the dumbest.
In that case, maybe you should make use of your maturity and choose not to vote at all?

There's a history behind GT's alias, and the same goes for the other players I imagine.

AHA-Lambda

Great post from Doggand I must agree I just can't agree with the idea of Inquisition winning GOTY when it's so "new" in people's minds.

For me Hearthstone should have won (although I've not played Bayonetta 2) no other game this year has been so subversive and stupidly popular on such a scale, instead we gave it to an RPG that isn't even the best RPG this year all things considered.

Maniac

Banned

Well said.

And really, this stuff is why I think general consumers and majority of gamers are, to an extent, idiots.

And it's because they kind of are.
But apparently saying that means I'm a d
err
ick

I'm just getting tired of all this masturbatory idiocy, it's deeply rooted within the industry and I don't really see it disappearing anytime soon, if at all.

Atleast we weren't getting DoritosDew shoved down our throats this year.
Anyone get banned today?

Not yet. The day is still young though! :p

And I've been d
err
icky™
Nobody called each other beef curtains as of yet.

Mmmmm... Beeeeef curtains...

Wait, what? Milaaambeeeeer! Eeeeww. >_>

Top Bottom