• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Haunted

January 27th Grim Fandango

Day of the Tentacle announced for PC/PS4/Vita

B4MiodFIYAMW9ap.png:large
!!!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Speaking of Sony...

My god at that Uncharted 4 gameplay...

Bloodborne, GG Xrd, and this? :\

Is it sad that I'm more looking forward to the PS4 releases of next year than PC releases? Even the Wii U has a pretty good line up.

MUnited83

For you.
They're all ports of stuff that's been dirt cheap on PC forever (mostly).
And after experiencing BoI:R, it makes one wonder how competent some of the ports (like GeoWars3) will be.

Better than nothing, I guess
I dont get these posts. Which games announced today for the vita have been dirt cheap forever other than Bastion?

rtcn63

Phone people- a guy I kinda know is selling his 16GB Nexus 4 for $130. Refurbs are $160, but his has a case and screen protector, barely used. Should I go for it? I'm using an iphone 3GS.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Frecklestein:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Frecklestein, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Final Fantasy VII -- MB-7876B97608F94E91 - Taken by Natty1. 46 entrants total.

t1417911564z1.png

ezgif-558514822.gif

: p

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Phone people- a guy I kinda know is selling his 16GB Nexus 4 for $130. Refurbs are $160, but his has a case and screen protector, barely used. Should I go for it? I'm using an iphone 3GS.
Yes. The 3gs is as slow as molasses. I might get a Nexus 5 sign they're back in stock.

I've liked all the Uncharted games.

Arthea

Is it sad that I'm more looking forward to the PS4 releases of next year than PC releases? Even the Wii U has a pretty good line up.

I certainly don't, not even getting PS4 yet, and my most awaited games all are on PC, except for Suikoden games.
Then again I never was a fan of Uncharted, maybe that's why

fantomena

They're all ports of stuff that's been dirt cheap on PC forever (mostly).
And after experiencing BoI:R, it makes one wonder how competent some of the ports (like GeoWars3) will be.

Better than nothing, I guess.

You know, not everyone are playing videogames on PC, and there are millions of them. So for the millions of people who do not play videogames on PC, but own a VIta, I don't think they could care less wherever the game is available on PC or not.

People are talking about Uncharted 4 faces and than i remember that we had this on PC in 2013.

Why are you showing a picture from Crysis 3?

Hugstable

Banned
Square Enix are masterful.

0BVjUWu.png

I went crazy for a second during that announcement, then I saw Aeris in all her blocky glory XD

T_T

Also I'm not convinced on anything about No Man's Sky. I just don't see the game being enjoyable and feel that it's being way overhyped by some.

Arthea

http://i.imgur.com/0BVjUWu.png[/img

I went crazy for a second during that announcement, then I saw Aeris in all her blocky glory XD

T_T

Also I'm not convinced on anything about No Man's Sky. I just don't see the game being enjoyable and feel that it's being way overhyped by some.[/QUOTE]

Ya, SE at their evil laughs again

I don't understand this kind of attitude, though. Do you play and like absolutely all kinds of games? Who ever said that everybody has to like or even play it? How it can be overhyped, when if it deliver everything what's promised it will be a game we never had before and have nothing to compare with, it's by default the best of this type as there are no other spacefarers sim on this scale and with those ideas.
I understand when people doubt it's even possible to make, because it does seem overambitious, but plain dismissing because it's not your type of game? why? just ignore it!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

I don't understand this kind of attitude, though. Do you play and like absolutely all kinds of games? Who ever said that everybody has to like or even play it? How it can be overhyped, when if it deliver everything what's promised it will be a game we never had before and have nothing to compare with, it's by default the best of this type as there are no other spacefarers sim on this scale and with those ideas.
I understand when people doubt it's even possible to make, because it does seem overambitious, but plain dismissing because it's not your type of game? why? just ignore it!

Most of the doubt stems from how little of this ambition we've actually seen. Most trailers are just very beautifully arranged quick cuts with some nice music, with zero context. People want to see all these concepts realized. They want to see the depth, not just be told it's there and they just can't see it because they're missing an eye.

I'm interested, excited even, for what NMS could be. But I think it's reasonable to have doubts or little interest due to the manner in which they've shown things off.

Grief.exe

After the Playstation event, I'm still not convinced that the PS4 has much value to me personally.

I am interested in Bloodborne of course, but after that I can't think of much else. Persona 5 is coming to PS3 as well so I have that option, and I didn't really like The Last of Us all that much so Uncharted 4 doesn't represent a killer app for me.

I dont get these posts. Which games announced today for the vita have been dirt cheap forever other than Bastion?

Everything on that list has been available for <$10, except Geometry Wars, I think. Let me go get the list.

MLB:The Show 15 to Vita
Sony exclusive, can't factor in.
Geometry Wars 3 to Vita
new game, not cheaper yet, don't know availability, pricing, or performance on vita at this time.
Bastion to Vita
Current Lowest Price: $3.74 at GameStop PC (Activates on Steam) (Info)
Historical Lowest Price: $1.97 at Nuuvem on Thu Nov 27 2014 (Info)
Number of times this game has been in a bundle: 4 (Info)
Shovel Knight to Vita
Fair point here, it's not been on sale yet. $15 is the lowest, currently.
TowerFall Ascension to Vita
Local (only?) multiplayer game... strange choice to port. Don't know Vita pricing yet.
Historical Lowest Price: $9.99 at Humble Store on Thu May 29 2014 (Info)
Octodad: Dadliest Catch to Vita
Historical Lowest Price: $3.74 at Steam on Sat Nov 29 2014 (Info)
Super Time Force Ultra to Vita
Historical Lowest Price: $9.74 at Steam on Wed Nov 26 2014 (Info)
The Banner Saga to Vita
Historical Lowest Price: $6.24 at Steam on Fri Nov 28 2014 (Info) [from the deluxe version, but the normal version lists GOG as the lowest ever, so I used this instead].
This is even counting the fact that a large number of people who could have got it for $3.75 or lower as part of the nVidia voucher deal.
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 to Vita
This is a win if it releases at the same time as the console/PC episodes and isn't gimped. New game, couldn't have been cheaper.
Broken Age to Vita
Grim Fandango Remastered on Jan 27th
This is a win if it releases at the same time as the console/PC episodes and isn't gimped. New game, couldn't have been cheaper.
Day of the Tentacle: Special Edition

You know, not everyone are playing videogames on PC, and there are millions of them. So for the millions of people who do not play videogames on PC, but own a VIta, I don't think they could care less wherever the game is available on PC or not.

Does Sony know about these Millions of Vita owners? o_O

Saty

Still don't get the Street Fighter thing. If Capcom couldn't have made it w\o Sony writing the check then why is there a PC version. Why would Sony finance that version? If Capcom were only planning 2 SKUS, the XB1 would have been the second, not the PC. So Sony's involvement would mean it would have been knocked off.

Grief.exe

Still don't get the Street Fighter thing. If Capcom couldn't have made it w\o Sony writing the check then why is there a PC version. Why would Sony finance that version? If Capcom were only planning 2 SKUS, the XB1 would have been the second, not the PC. So Sony's involvement would mean it would have been knocked off.

I'm guessing Capcom was probably developing three versions of SFV for PC, PS4, and XBO.

Sony approached Capcom for an exclusivity deal, and paid for the console exclusive rights to SFV. They would have had to pay through the nose to keep it completely locked up, and I would be surprised if we didn't see SFV: Super Edition show up on XBO.

Momentary

Banned

Maybe SFIV on PC was actually very profitable and Capcom didn't want the money to give up the development for that platform.

Aside from Bloodborne and Xrd, PS4 really has nothing else for me. And from the looks of it, Xrd will be on Steam soon enough.

Jawmuncher

I'm guessing Capcom was probably developing three versions of SFV for PC, PS4, and XBO.

Sony approached Capcom for an exclusivity deal, and paid for the console exclusive rights to SFV. They would have had to pay through the nose to keep it completely locked up, and I would be surprised if we didn't see SFV: Super Edition show up on XBO.

Honestly think its the other way around.
Ono said months earlier that budget for a new Game was hard to get. So they probably shopped to Sony first. Considering the good terms they had when they did all the exclusive street fighter x teller stuff.

fantomena

Because C3 had really good faces in 2013. :D And if i would post that in U4 thread there would be bloodbath XD

Of course. You are comparing a PC with PS4.

like The Last of Us all that much so Uncharted 4 doesn't represent a killer app for me.

First of all, what did you not like with TLOU? it would make more sense to me if you wrote that you did not like Uncharted 1/2/3 so much so Uncharted 4 didn't look very interesting.

Lomax

Drop rate of cards in most of these Disney games is clearly set to an hour. At least they still have decent value.

MUnited83

For you.
Everything on that list has been available for <$10, except Geometry Wars, I think. Let me go get the list.

Geometry Wars 3 to Vita
new game, not cheaper yet, don't know availability, pricing, or performance on vita at this time.
Bastion to Vita
Shovel Knight to Vita
Local (only?) multiplayer game... strange choice to port. Don't know Vita pricing yet.
The Banner Saga to Vita
Historical Lowest Price: $6.24 at Steam on Fri Nov 28 2014 (Info) [from the deluxe version, but the normal version lists GOG as the lowest ever, so I used this instead].
This is even counting the fact that a large number of people who could have got it for $3.75 or lower as part of the nVidia voucher deal.
Broken Age to Vita

Wait wait, Octodad, Banner Saga and Broken Age for the Vita? How did I miss that? Amazing news! But yeah, with those I get your point.

Nzyme32

After the Playstation event, I'm still not convinced that the PS4 has much value to me personally.

I am interested in Bloodborne of course, but after that I can't think of much else. Persona 5 is coming to PS3 as well so I have that option, and I didn't really like The Last of Us all that much so Uncharted 4 doesn't represent a killer app for me.

Bloodborne looks fantastic, and is the only PS4 title that really sparks any interest in me. I love the architecture, the character designs and aesthetics. I'd love to just explore it. Apart from that it's weird for me. In general, there isn't much I am looking forward to on any platform. I recall feeling the same way about 2014 last year though and was proven wrong. There are lots of older games and my back log to get through anyway haha

Strider

I'd imagine a lot are still in the same boat. I've enjoyed the exclusives I've played on PS4 so far.. but there's not many. Meanwhile my Wii U kicked ass this year with it's amazing exclusives and I'd def recommend that to any gamer that also has a PC over a PS4.

I hope the big project Guerilla and Sony Santa Monica are planning show up and impress at E3.

fantomena

Ask Sony, how should I know?

To me it sounded like Sony is co-developing SFV so SFV would never arrive on Xbone.

Arthea

Most of the doubt stems from how little of this ambition we've actually seen. Most trailers are just very beautifully arranged quick cuts with some nice music, with zero context. People want to see all these concepts realized. They want to see the depth, not just be told it's there and they just can't see it because they're missing an eye.

I'm interested, excited even, for what NMS could be. But I think it's reasonable to have doubts or little interest due to the manner in which they've shown things off.

We all have doubts, that's not what I was talking about. The more time passes, the less gameplay we are shown, the more worried we are.
I was talking about "overhyped", "no fun", "nothing interesting" and such posts, that we had quite a few lately.

Maybe SFIV on PC was actually very profitable and Capcom didn't want the money to give up the development for that platform.

Aside from Bloodborne and Xrd, PS4 really has nothing else for me. And from the looks of it, Xrd will be on the platform soon enough.

Keep telling yourself that.

I'll believe it when I see it, considering Aksys/ASW has said they're juding PC interest from the sales of the old games they put up that are more collector's items than games people are actually buying to play seriously.

I don't know about that -- depending on the funding deal and stuff, it could basically be a Bayonetta 2. And it's still a megaton as far as I'm concerned, especially since there will be cross platform play.

I mean, think about it. Capcom doesn't have the budget, Sony doesn't care about cornering the ENTIRE market, merely enough of the console market to sway people who want to buy a console for SF5 (instead of building a PC that will run it well) to come to their house. This more than does it. Between GG and SF5, if you're into fighting games and don't own a good PC (and maybe that won't even help with GG), you're going to need a Sony Console. Very smart move for Sony, IMO.

Ask Sony, how should I know?

Hahaha, they don't. Because they don't exist. It was a joke based on your suggestion that there are at least 2 million Vita owners who don't game on PC.
If you've never ventured into the Vita related threads outside of the former Vita thread which became the PSN thread which is now in community just like SteamGAF, NeoGAF hates the Vita (mostly), and the owners that love their handheld are in the vast majority (myself included). Extrapolate this out to the "average" consumer and it explains why there was minimal marketing for Vita and why it's pretty much been relegated to life as a handheld that can give you a portable version of your favorite indie games for a minimum of the normal MSRP if not a premium charge on top of that. And then you look at support for the system overall... Sony has all but ceased developing games for it (first-party). It's a MIRACLE to get some of the Japan only third party stuff localized (like Senran Kagura, for instance) and even then it becomes "digital only" releases and people are up in arms that they can't buy a physical copy.

The Vita has a small but dedicated fanbase... with morons like me included, who will pay $15 for Spelunky and Rogue Legacy just to have it on their portable system of choice... The Swapper showed up and cost more than it ever had before ($19.99, I think, instead of $14.99 on Steam). And then you have developers who port their stuff to make a quick buck and stop supporting it. A recent FW update (the one that enabled themes for Vita) broke Spelunky and introduced a lot of graphical glitches. It's still playable, but needs a patch. I tweeted everyone I could to get it seen and dealt with, and it was just ignored.

So yeah, it's good that stuff's going to Vita and it's still getting new titles... but today is far from a megaton for a lot of Vita owners.

Tecl0n

Now that i think about it maybe the exclusivity for ps4 actually was the best for us, considering MS position about cross platform games.

Hugstable

Banned

I feel it's overhyped because most open world games made by gigantic teams have trouble themselves having an interesting amount of content going throughout the whole game, how am I supposed to believe a super small team is going to be able to do that better? I'm just really skeptical about the whole game and feel that it's gonna be the exact thing we've seen in every trailer of the game so far, which is just flying around from place to place with no real objective or thing to do. And actually I do like tons and tons of games of different types. Also I'm just stating an opinion of mine, not dismissing the game. Dismissing the game would be me going around saying "oh this game is shit, it sucks" I'm just giving an opinion on what I've seen so far on the trailers released for the game in my view, I'm pretty sure there are tons of people that will find great enjoyment from this. Basically I just want their to be a point to the gameplay

I'll believe it when I see it, considering Aksys/ASW has said they're juding PC interest from the sales of the old games they put up that are more collector's items than games people are actually buying to play seriously.

Xrd will show up on PC! It might take 6 years though lol :p

Nzyme32

Could be a bunch of reasons. With the idea of cross-play in particular, I wouldn't be surprised if they want to get a more cohesive community together and really push the esports scene a bit. I guess maybe Sony get a cut of all kinds of related sales or something? I don't know

Fox318

I really hope Valve does some partnership with PS4 or something.

Also that troll announcement was amazing. I was laughing so hard.

Sendou

I think it's simple. Sony had to pay some $$$ to make up for the lack of Xbox One version. They would have had to pay even more money to keep it out of PC too. PC is not really a concern to Sony in the same way.

Geometry Wars 3 to Vita
Bastion to Vita
Shovel Knight to Vita
The Banner Saga to Vita
Broken Age to Vita

man if revelations 2 comes out the same day as the other versions and isn't really gimped(cause obviously i expect it to be a little gimped, mostly graphically) I'll buy that shit day one. if not, ill wait for steam sale and when the whole game is out.

fantomena

Geometry Wars 3 to Vita
Bastion to Vita
Shovel Knight to Vita
The Banner Saga to Vita
Broken Age to Vita

So they have been cheap on PC? Cool, no need to get the Vita version then.

Does not compute. Many of these games are perfect for Vita.

Grief.exe

Bloodborne looks fantastic, and is the only PS4 title that really sparks any interest in me. I love the architecture, the character designs and aesthetics. I'd love to just explore it. Apart from that it's weird for me. In general, there isn't much I am looking forward to on any platform. I recall feeling the same way about 2014 last year though and was proven wrong. There are lots of older games and my back log to get through anyway haha

Even the first couple months of next year are looking phenomenal, we have MGSV: GZ to round out 2014, then Ori and the Blind Forest, Below, REmake, GTAV, Grim Fandango, Killing Floor 2(?), Evolve, Dying Light, Witcher 3, and who knows what else I'm forgetting.

I'd imagine a lot are still in the same boat. I've enjoyed the exclusives I've played on PS4 so far.. but there's not many. Meanwhile my Wii U kicked ass this year with it's amazing exclusives and I'd def recommend that to any gamer that also has a PC over a PS4.

Just got my Wii U in the other day...only to find out it can't read discs.

First of all, what did you not like with TLOU? it would be mroe sense to me if you wrote that you did not like Uncharted 1/2/3 so much so Uncharted 4 didn't look very interesting.

I find it hard to actually criticize The Last of Us because it is such a well polished game with that massive AAA budget, but I was ready for the game to end well before the credits rolled.

I was just going through the same encounters over and over again, with no real variation with overall gameplay mechanics that weren't all that interesting to me.

I'm not really a huge fan of these games that place a heavy emphasis on the cinematic experience, but I also just wasn't drawn into the story. One of the huge draws of the game was emphasizing with the main characters, and I was just never brought to that level.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

The fact that they put out another BlazBlue at all onto the platform shows initiative, I think.

I really just want to keep my hopes high because I need Xrd in my life.

So they have been cheap on PC? Cool, no need to get the Vita version then.

Does not compute. Many of these games are perfect for Vita.

Like what? Especially if you don't prefer your stuff on a handheld?
Also, I have severe doubts that some of these games will perform well on the vita hardware... Geometry Wars 3 will not be a smooth 60fps for certain... it may not even be a smooth 30fps once shit starts exploding on screen. STFU is much like that as well.

So while games like Banner Saga and those remakes of old point and clicks that everyone is nuts about might fit well, some of these are mostly likely going to be inferior versions of the PC (or console) equivalent for a premium price.

I don't even know how this makes sense unless you LOVE the core Nintendo franchises and are dying to play the new Mario games or the new Donkey Kong (guess what? I'm not.)
So all you can offer me currently on a WiiU is Bayonetta 2 which by all impressions I've seen on GAF is a good game but still has framerate issues just like the first. And beyond Bayonetta (and maybe W101 and ZombiU), what's coming in 2015 that makes the WiiU something I should go buy today instead of a PS4?

Meanwhile, I know the PS4 is getting Bloodborne, Xrd (if it isn't already out, haven't paid total attention to that yet because I was hoping it would come to PC), and Uncharted 4. I'm sure, as you noted but I snipped, that whatever is coming from Guerilla and SSM will be epic as well. Sony has a high number of first party studios with great pedigrees and I'm sure there will be a God of War 4 among other things that will also make a PS4 purchase a necessity for me. Add in stuff that's already there like TLoU remaster (which I wouldn't mind playing again at 60fps, the stealth gameplay in that game was great) and the stuff I've been amassing monthly for free because I have PS+ for my PS3/Vita... and tell me why I should go buy a WiiU instead of a PS4? :)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I'm glad SFV is cross platform for online! That means I can play with the console players without having to buy another damn copy this time.

fantomena

Like what? Especially if you don't prefer your stuff on a handheld?
Also, I have severe doubts that some of these games will perform well on the vita hardware... Geometry Wars 3 will not be a smooth 60fps for certain... it may not even be a smooth 30fps once shit starts exploding on screen. STFU is much like that as well.

So while games like Banner Saga and those remakes of old point and clicks that everyone is nuts about might fit well, some of these are mostly likely going to be inferior versions of the PC (or console) equivalent for a premium price.

Bastion, Towerfall, Geometry, Grim Fandango, Suepr Time Force.

But yeah I get your point, but i do not entirely agree on it.

Top Bottom