• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Deitus

Wow, I was not ready for that. Based on the reaction in the thread, I was expecting Skyrim with a giant dong mod or something.

I was not expecting large breasted robot cyclops girls dancing to J-Pop songs.

Edit: I checked another Skyrim stream expecting more modding shenanigans, but he's streaming the first episode of Space Dandy instead.

zkylon

zkylewd
wow publishers are still doing this shit?

also it's like more revealing outfits the more sales they get

fucking rotten

there are stretch goals with content behind pre-order figures? never saw that before.

pubs getting some kind of inspiration by ks it seems. hah.
they did it it on tomb raider and resident evil 6 and some other games and never again because they realized it was an embarrassing cashgrab

but i guess this is team ninja not necessarily classy people that are above shit like it

Deitus

there are stretch goals with content behind pre-order figures? never saw that before.

pubs getting some kind of inspiration by ks it seems. hah.

Similar things have been done before. Bioshock Infinite had one during it's preorder period, though the rewards were Bioshock 1 and Xcom Enemy Unknown rather than in game content. A few other games have done similar, though I can't recall if any of them had in game content.

inm8num2

Hm, I guess auto complete in the search box is turned off (suggestions don't show up in different browsers or the client). Perhaps a way of easing load on the servers while they test the broadcasting feature?

Shade

A few more extra keys. Should be unused. Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 15 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Shade, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Time Gentlemen Please -- MB-FA8EF001D4BBDF4B - Taken by orthodoxy1095. 1 entrants total.
Fairy Bloom Freesia -- MB-4E16977989EE2B63 - Taken by Kagemusha. 2 entrants total.
3089 Futuristic Action RPG FPS -- MB-E47E9EBF4FF3B539 - Taken by Sarcasm. 1 entrants total.
Universe Sandbox -- MB-B37D14FB931D5707 - Taken by Mengy. 1 entrants total.
Realms of Arkania Blade of Destiny -- MB-A23296FCD58723DC - Taken by derExperte. 2 entrants total.
Inquisitor Deluxe Edition -- MB-E42944DCCB53D7E2 - Taken by NightmareTrigger. 1 entrants total.
3079 Block Action RPG FPS -- MB-6FCCD55422D003EC - Taken by sensoft04. 1 entrants total.
Kaptain Brawe A Brawe New World -- MB-AE0771B4B53A6D73 - Taken by lindarasta. 2 entrants total.
Primal Fears -- MB-A876F59BCF422741 - Taken by texhnolyze. 2 entrants total.
Ethan Meteor Hunter -- MB-A812487C76763DE0 - Taken by Htown. 1 entrants total.
Thunder Wolves -- MB-82DB96E503C480CA - Taken by roadrunn3r. 3 entrants total.
Monday Night Combat -- MB-DBE4642632A4E463 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 2 entrants total.
LightFish -- MB-035A5472ECD60927 - Taken by Tesseract. 1 entrants total.
Bang Bang Racing -- MB-643365ED6E4686DF - Taken by tioslash. 2 entrants total.
The Cat Lady -- MB-7B405D5AC73E1C0B - Taken by A Fish Aficionado. 1 entrants total.

t1418012310z1.png

Tellaerin

wow publishers are still doing this shit?

also it's like more revealing outfits the more sales they get

fucking rotten

Would it be okay if the more sales they got, the more cute/androgynous/nekomimi characters they put in? :p Seriously. I don't mean to sound harsh, but a fetish is a fetish. Buxom women in revealing outfits are no worse (and no more tasteless) than the less mainstream fetish fuel that crops up in Japanese games.

Like what you like - I'm not criticizing. I just don't like the double standard of "eww, gross" when someone panders to the tastes of the average guy and "KAWAII! *throws money*" when the game features a couple of big-eyed catgirls in a cardboard box. Pandering is pandering. Either it's bad or it isn't. I don't have a problem with it, myself, even when it's not my particular interests being pandered to. (And in this case, the tiered preorder rewards seem more like a gimmick than anything - I doubt there's a chance of them falling short by the deadline.)

Zafir

Would it be okay if the more sales they got, the more cute/androgynous/nekomimi characters they put in? :p Seriously. I don't mean to sound harsh, but a fetish is a fetish. Buxom women in revealing outfits are no worse (and no more tasteless) than the less mainstream fetish fuel that crops up in Japanese games.

Like what you like - I'm not criticizing. I just don't like the double standard of "eww, gross" when someone panders to the tastes of the average guy and "KAWAII! *throws money*" when the game features a couple of big-eyed catgirls in a cardboard box. Pandering is pandering. Either it's bad or it isn't. I don't have a problem with it, myself, even when it's not my particular interests being pandered to. (And in this case, the tiered preorder rewards seem more like a gimmick than anything - I doubt there's a chance of them falling short by the deadline.)
I'd be more forgiving with that kind of stuff if it wasn't just dlc undressing the women. Pandering in itself isn't bad, but it's kind of annoying when it's always your gender, and it's rarely the men. :I

zkylon

zkylewd

wtf are you talking about

who the fuck said anything about "buxom women"

Tellaerin

I'd be more forgiving with that kind of stuff if it wasn't just dlc undressing the women. Pandering in itself isn't bad, but it's kind of annoying when it's always your gender, and it's rarely the men. :I

Agreed. There ought to be more eye candy for the ladies (and gay/bi guys) in games, especially ones where you get to play virtual dress-up with the characters. Straight dudes shouldn't get to have all the fun.

wtf are you talking about

who the fuck talked about "buxom women"

"Buxom women in revealing outfits" = DOA's female cast in these DLC costumes. You seemed to be disgusted by the idea of offering costumes like that as an incentive to boost preorders, and to a lesser extent, the game as a whole. To me, this seems no worse than aiming a game at fans of catgirls/lolis/whatever.

baterism

Stop making me want DoA5 SteamGAF, I am saving for New 3DS.
I was wondering how on earth Russian can get games for so damn cheap. Even compared to SEA price, RU is almost 50% cheaper. Then I check bloomberg, dang rubble is losing value like crazy. Steam might be the only market where global politics affect game prices.

Zafir

Stop making me want DoA5 SteamGAF, I am saving for New 3DS.
I was wondering how on earth Russian can get games for so damn cheap. Even compared to SEA price, RU is almost 50% cheaper. Then I check bloomberg, dang rubble is losing value like crazy. Steam might be the only market where global politics affect game prices.

Well, it's not just that. Publishers either set the price that low, or people pirate instead. :p

zkylon

zkylewd
"Buxom women in revealing outfits" = DOA's female cast in these DLC costumes. You seemed to be disgusted by the idea of offering costumes like that as an incentive to boost preorders, and to a lesser extent, the game as a whole. To me, this seems no worse than aiming a game at fans of catgirls/lolis/whatever.

that's all you

i never said that it would be ok if it was loli or catgirl stuff or whatever, i've mocked games like nekopara before

i don't know why you want to make it like that, i said it's both a seedy business practice to do this preorder bonuses shit and it's specially gross because the bonuses are revealing outfits

i never said anything about the size of doa's characters tits

baterism

Well, it's not just that. Publishers either set the price that low, or people pirate instead. :p

True, but it still strange that a brand new game like DoA5 can be priced at $12 while in SEA reg where piracy is also rampant it is priced at $21. I calculate if the publisher put exchange rates at 32 rubble per dollar (March rates, now 52), the price could be at $20. A more plausible price.

That, or Putin come and kick Tecmo Koei door.

Corpekata

Banned
Agreed. There ought to be more eye candy for the ladies (and gay/bi guys) in games, especially ones where you get to play virtual dress-up with the characters. Straight dudes shouldn't get to have all the fun.

Being no worse than aiming at catgirl and loli fans is not exactly a positive. Not sure why you're thinking the average person is okay with that and not regular big booby girls.

Tellaerin

that's all you

i never said that it would be ok if it was loli or catgirl stuff or whatever, i've mocked games like nekopara before

i don't know why you want to make it like that, i said it's both a seedy business practice to do this preorder bonuses shit and it's specially gross because the bonuses are revealing outfits

i never said anything about the size of doa's characters tits

Eh, the preorder bonuses thing's just a fact of life now. As long as they're available to everyone later as paid DLC, I can't bitch about it too much. (I mean, I can, but what's the point? I've been bitching about publishers gouging us on DLC since horse armor first debuted, and that hasn't stopped publishers from pushing it, or people from eating it up. : / ) Like I said, I think the tiered rewards thing is more a gimmick to create hype/attract attention than anything - I seriously doubt they're going to fall short of the maximum.

The revealing outfit thing didn't bother me because it's just another kind of pandering to drive sales. People paying money to see something that pushes the right buttons for them is completely understandable, even if that "something" varies from person to person. For all the flak DOA gets, I'd argue it's pretty tasteful in that department.

Similar things have been done before. Bioshock Infinite had one during it's preorder period, though the rewards were Bioshock 1 and Xcom Enemy Unknown rather than in game content. A few other games have done similar, though I can't recall if any of them had in game content.
I actually thought that was a nice preorder bonus myself.

zkylon

zkylewd
Eh, the preorder bonuses thing's just a fact of life now. As long as they're available to everyone later as paid DLC, I can't bitch about it too much. (I mean, I can, but what's the point? I've been bitching about publishers gouging us on DLC since horse armor first debuted, and that hasn't stopped publishers from pushing it, or people from eating it up. : / ) Like I said, I think the tiered rewards thing is more a gimmick to create hype/attract attention than anything - I seriously doubt they're going to fall short of the maximum.

The revealing outfit thing didn't bother me because it's just another kind of pandering to drive sales. People paying money to see something that pushes the right buttons for them is completely understandable, even if that "something" varies from person to person. For all the flak DOA gets, I'd argue it's pretty tasteful in that department.

you're wrong because the all the shit bethesda got for their horse armor made it so that they never ever charged money for shitty dlc like that.

same with this preorder bonuses bullshit, it was dead until this doa nonsense revived it. i was seriosuly hoping we had seen the last of it since it was awful in every possible way and also very obviously staged just to fuck up with potential players since it always magically got to 100% anyways

and i won't blame you for liking them but no i don't think that thongs with cat tails are "tasteful"

just don't give me this "you only have a problem with it because the girls in doa have giant tits" crap when i never said anything about that

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I am as desensitized to half naked ladies in videogames as I am to gore and violence. I might be a horrible person. Oh well.

(I do think its funny that revealing outfits on videogame ladies = outrage, incredibly gory MKX fatalities = no outrage)

_hekk05

Banned
I am as desensitized to half naked ladies in videogames as I am to gore and violence. I might be a horrible person. Oh well.

(I do think its funny that revealing outfits on videogame ladies = outrage, incredibly gory MKX fatalities = no outrage)

As expected of someone who used to sport a laharl-chan avatar

I think I still have it saved somewhere...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
As expected of someone who used to sport a laharl-chan avatar

I think I still have it saved somewhere...

I hate female laharl but not because its revealing (which it is, and then some), just because its an awful design. Then again I hate any post-disgaea 1 Laharl, or any disgaea character post the first really.

Also I didnt like the "dare" avatar, but I did like the evil within one, quite a bit in fact. I loved the idea (kudos to Yakku as usual for her avatar mastery)

_hekk05

Banned
I hate female laharl but not because its revealing (which it is, and then some), just because its an awful design. Then again I hate any post-disgaea 1 Laharl, or any disgaea character post the first really.

Also I didnt like the "dare" avatar, but I did like the evil within one, quite a bit in fact. I loved the idea (kudos to Yakku as usual for her avatar mastery)

Any disgaea 5 hype? Or unannounced nippon ichi game
Asagi game
hype?

I'm still hoping beyond hope for the 2 prinny platformers to come to PC. Sigh~

Rhaknar

Any disgaea 5 hype? Or unannounced nippon ichi game
Asagi game
hype?

I'm still hoping beyond hope for the 2 prinny platformers to come to PC. Sigh~

not really. I was kinda digging disgaea 2 on the vita (the psp one that is) but then I was like "who the fuck is this guy" with the new character and I kinda drifted away and never got back to it. Not just because of no-laharl mind you, but that didnt help. I just really liked all the characters in the first one I guess. But im not a big disgaea diehard, contrary to what my avatars might suggest

edit: ^short hair Bayo looks amazing.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
not really. I was kinda digging disgaea 2 on the vita (the psp one that is) but then I was like "who the fuck is this guy" with the new character and I kinda drifted away and never got back to it. Not just because of no-laharl mind you, but that didnt help. I just really liked all the characters in the first one I guess. But im not a big disgaea diehard, contrary to what my avatars might suggest

My, my... the illusion has been shattered.

edit: ^short hair Bayo looks amazing.
And the other amazing things I can do that I can't tell you darling. ;)

Rhaknar

And the other amazing things I can do that I can't tell you darling. ;)

heres something funny (well not haha funny), I love Bayo's "darling"s, but I HATE when Viviane says it in DA:Inq. Dont know why :/

And here's something completely random, does anyone know if End War on PC has the voice commands like the 360 version (this was way before kinect btw)? I remember digging it with the voice commands on the 360

I like to keep track of the amount of time I've logged into each game. Does Steam Idle Master inflate your time played for each game?

yes. even before idle master, cards completely destroyed whatever interest I used to have in that feature (and it was one of my favorite features of steam, even when it bugged out)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hm, I guess auto complete in the search box is turned off (suggestions don't show up in different browsers or the client). Perhaps a way of easing load on the servers while they test the broadcasting feature?

Possibly, but they didn't remove the code to perform the auto complete. It's just not called anywhere. It can be re-enabled with a console command because the code to perform the lookups are still in the main site javascript.

So it's most likely a bug rather than a way to conserve bandwidth. I also highly doubt that their broadcasting service has anything to do with it. I would be completely shocked if this feature was running on the same hardware as the web servers as that would be a pretty rookie mistake for them to make.

I like to keep track of the amount of time I've logged into each game. Does Steam Idle Master inflate your time played for each game?

It does. Unfortunately that's the only way to trick Steam into dropping cards.

_hekk05

Banned
But im not a big disgaea diehard, contrary to what my avatars might suggest

I have been deceived by your lies

My world is crumbling down. What can i believe anymore?

Does JaseC still collect games? Please tell me he does. Tell me I'm not crazy

Tellaerin

you're wrong because the all the shit bethesda got for their horse armor made it so that they never ever charged money for shitty dlc like that.

They're still charging for stuff like the Courier's Stash. >.>

same with this preorder bonuses bullshit, it was dead until this doa nonsense revived it. i was seriosuly hoping we had seen the last of it since it was awful in every possible way and also very obviously staged just to fuck up with potential players

and i won't blame you for liking them but no i don't think that thongs with cat tails are "tasteful"

We're talking about attractive female characters wearing some skimpy costumes, most of which aren't any racier than what you'd find at a sexy Halloween party, and swimwear. And those aren't the only outfits in the game, either. As far as its approach to sex appeal goes, yeah, I'd say DOA's pretty tasteful. Wholesome, even. There's nothing especially raunchy or sleazy there.

just don't give me this "you only have a problem with it because the girls in doa have giant tits" crap when i never said anything about that

Honest question: If this was a game in a genre you liked, and the preorder bonuses being unlocked were the kinds of characters that you personally find appealing, would you have had the same reaction? For the sake of argument, say it was something like Bayonetta 3, and a bunch of cool outfits for Bayonetta or something were going to be made available based on the number of preorders they received.

Tellaerin

It does. Unfortunately that's the only way to trick Steam into dropping cards.

Any way you'd be able to have Idle Master keep a log of the amount of time idled on each game? Then the people interested would be able to subtract that from the total time played to get the actual amount of time they spent in each game.

Rhaknar

I have been deceived by your lies

My world is crumbling down. What can i believe anymore?

Does JaseC still collect games? Please tell me he does. Tell me I'm not crazy

Ive said a bunch of times I only care for disgaea 1 Laharl. That you just ignore me is no surprise

Top Bottom