• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Lomax

I'm almost 100% sure you can play Kinzie the whole game.

I really hope so, but somehow I can't find anything conclusive saying so.

All you guys hating on No Man's Sky were never fans of Elite or Privateer, huh?
This is the game some of us have been waiting 20+ years for =p

Eh, some of us remember Battlecruiser 3000AD, which made a lot of the same promises. I hope it works out, but considering all the development issues it's already had, I'll believe it when I see it. Same goes for Star Citizen for that matter.

MartyStu

My 6970 literally just burst into flames an hour ago. I need use of this machine tonight, so I intend to pick up a Geforce GT 740 from my nearest Best Buy.

I am bracing myself. I am not sure how bad the decrease in quality will be, but it cannot be good.

Jawmuncher

You know, I'd love a game combining the kind of procedural world generation they're using in NMS with Minecraft-style building and crafting.

I'd be totally happy roaming the galaxy looking for strange and interesting places and creatures and taking photos of neat finds, myself. Though I'm probably not typical in that.

Nothing this game has said sounds like Privateer.
Pretty sure I can't enslave people and sell them.
Or be a space drug smuggler.

It has the ideas but it's already behind the block.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
My 6970 literally just burst into flames an hour ago. I need use of this machine tonight, so I intend to pick up a Geforce GT 740 from my nearest Best Buy.

I am bracing myself. I am not sure how bad the decrease in quality will be, but it cannot be good.

If you're lucky, you'll still be able to manage 60fps in MS Paint.

tmarg

you guys amaze me, not all games need story, since when space sims are played for a story?

Space Sims don't need story. As long as they have decent gameplay. Thus far, NMS seems to have neither. Just walking around looking at procedurally generated stuff isn't good enough.

Tellaerin

All you guys hating on No Man's Sky were never fans of Elite or Privateer, huh?
This is the game some of us have been waiting 20+ years for =p

You're old.

Get off my lawn.

snl-star-warsrbu8e.png

Turfster

Eh, some of us remember Battlecruiser 3000AD, which made a lot of the same promises. I hope it works out, but considering all the development issues it's already had, I'll believe it when I see it. Same goes for Star Citizen for that matter.
No Man's Sky hasn't been in development for over 10 years tho
(Yes, I still remember BC3K too ;)

Tellaerin

The big difference here is that No Man's Sky isn't a Derek Smart production. (If it was, it'd have a manual the size of a phone book, graphics on par with an early Saturn game, and would take about a decade to be patched into something even remotely playable. :p )

Eternia

It's too bad you can't manage to grab at least a GTX 750 TI, it'd probably be close to the same price (from the right retailer) as the 740 but will give a comparable performance to your 6970.

no its very puzzle-y, and not easy either, those puzzles are quite obtuse

In a good Riven-way, or an inflatable-duck, syrup-on-the-cat-hair way?

I thought the puzzles were rather easy to be honest. Had to get out a pen and paper for one of them but that was about it. All the murder investigations are fairly logical or can be solved with a minimum amount of trial and error.

The bigger issue in my opinion is that you need to be thorough while exploring the world. There are some puzzles that I felt could be easy to miss and it's mandatory to do them all. Otherwise you will reach the end of the game and you won't be able to progress until you backtrack and find that missed puzzle. It can take a good 20 minutes or so of walking to get from the end of the game back to some place in the starting areas. The developer actually added fast travel to alleviate the problem somewhat, but it only works one way. They said that one area had to be cut from the game when it was nearing completion and this long backtracking was an unintended side effect of that decision.

That said, this is not a big problem in any meaningful way. The game is drop dead gorgeous and it's worth playing just to experience the visuals. The forests are simply the best I've ever seen in any game. If you like the so called 'walking simulator' genre, this is a must play.

Lomax

No Man's Sky hasn't been in development for over 10 years tho
(Yes, I still remember BC3K too ;)

The big difference here is that No Man's Sky isn't a Derek Smart production. (If it was, it'd have a manual the size of a phone book, graphics on par with an early Saturn game, and would take about a decade to be patched into something even remotely playable. :p )

Fair enough, and Derek Smart is still as insane as ever if you check the Steam forums for his latest debacle. But the point being that people tend to over-promise insane feature lists for this genre for some reason, and NMS has hardly had a trouble free development up to this point. I hope it's great, I really do, I think it's something I'd really like, but I refuse to get hyped up until it is released and fully functional.

MartyStu

It's too bad you can't manage to grab at least a GTX 750 TI, it'd probably be close to the same price (from the right retailer) as the 740 but will give a comparable performance to your 6970.

Yeah. I was looking for a 750 or 760, but apparently they are too fancy for Wal-Mart/Best Buy.

I just need this to tide me over for the week. I was in the market for a new build anyway. This just accelerates the timetable.

dat reference

tumblr_lntw6ee2no1qlr140o1_500.gif

I guess I didn't comment on the controls, outside of putting inflection on the ball, because they were fine. I'm really not certain why someone would complain about controls. Though I guess because I used a 360 controller?

I don't know, seemed very responsive and accurate.

*GASP* you used a 360 controller? you monster. Next time use kb/m like a real PC player. #LEARN2PCMASTERRACE

_hekk05

Banned
I want you peoples disposable income if you can buy graphics cards willy nilly.

I've already saved enough for a good setup. I just need to finally graduate, get a new place, get rid of my shitty laptop, build my setup, then work all day long and collect steam games and not play them.

I've got it all planned out

wilflare

I've already saved enough for a good setup. I just need to finally graduate, get a new place, get rid of my shitty laptop, build my setup, then work all day long and collect steam games and not play them.

I've got it all planned out

what have you been buying in the US :O
haha i hope you thought of a way to ship them all back

_hekk05

Banned
what have you been buying in the US :O
haha i hope you thought of a way to ship them all back

I've only gotten a ps4. Its like 200 usd cheaper than in singapore. Worth it imo. Disgaea V, plus I can have all the compile heart garbage jrpgs they release.

Also took the opportunity to set up a US bank account, a US paypal, change my steam region to US.

wilflare

I've only gotten a ps4. Its like 200 usd cheaper than in singapore. Worth it imo. Disgaea V, plus I can have all the compile heart garbage jrpgs they release.

Also took the opportunity to set up a US bank account, a US paypal, change my steam region to US.

:O transferring money into that US bank account is gonna be a chore though
and US PayPal usually asks for a Social Security Number after some time... which is a problem :/

but yes, that PS4 is worth it (I couldn't wait and got mine locally back in June or something) - not too bad a deal after selling the included games and stuff

Lomax

Starting up Pure reminds me just how much better we have things now. It doesn't give you any resolution options until after you play through an initial tutorial. It has a load bug that causes it to take forever to load some of the time. It recognized my Logitech controller, which is nice, but you can't bind any key to more than one control, and the default control scheme on a console controller should be set up that way. Not only that, but using the garage has some things hard coded to F12, which is my Steam screenshot key. Doesn't make me want to spend time playing at all.

And someone should slap Disney for setting the card drop time on all of their games at an hour. Though I guess that's better than no cards at all.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
that moment you realise youre not into that game you played on and off for 10 years anymore. a little sad actually, but nothing lasts forever I guess

_hekk05

Banned
:O transferring money into that US bank account is gonna be a chore though
and US PayPal usually asks for a Social Security Number after some time... which is a problem :/

but yes, that PS4 is worth it (I couldn't wait and got mine locally back in June or something) - not too bad a deal after selling the included games and stuff

I legit want to set up a shell corporation and use its tax return number in place of an SSN.

Transferring money from DBS to the US bank acc isn't that bad though. Exchange rate from bank is 1:1.33, current actual is 1:1.32, so I'm not even losing out that much. A currency exchanger will definitely charge more.

that moment you realise youre not into that game you played on and off for 10 years anymore. a little sad actually, but nothing lasts forever I guess

There will always be disgaea 5

so blazblue continuum shift extend will come out next thursday , the game will be 10% off for some time and for those that have blazblue calamity trigger they will get extra 10% off , thats nice but i would like to know the price :v

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so blazblue continuum shift extend will come out next thursday , the game will be 20% off for some time and for those that have blazblue calamity trigger they will get extra 10% off , thats nice but i would like to know the price :v

oh shit where did this news come from? thats sweet

as for price, 19.99 most likely no?

Vibranium

Banned
Aww yeah, I just got my new PC finally together, it's working great. Windows 8.1 is also fantastic with Classic Shell.

Now to finish a big Steam backlog, someday.

oh shit where did this news come from? thats sweet

as for price, 19.99 most likely no?

oops my bad is only 10% off and extra 10% if you have CT :

the information is in the "special offer" part:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/294810

"Those who own 'BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger' can receive additional 10% discount on 'BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend' for a week after release, adding up to a total of 20% discount, as a special launching promotion."

"Bonus content includes Special Original Soundtrack and BlazBlue Art Collection. The bonus contents will be placed in your Steam folder"

Rhaknar

oops my bad is only 10% off and extra 10% if you have CT :

the information is in the "special offer" part:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/294810

"Those who own 'BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger' can receive additional 10% discount on 'BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend' for a week after release, adding up to a total of 20% discount, as a special launching promotion."

"Bonus content includes Special Original Soundtrack and BlazBlue Art Collection. The bonus contents will be placed in your Steam folder"

why do you have to raise a brother's hopes for cheapness only to crush them minutes later salazar? why? ;_;

what game?

wow

Top Bottom