• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

I'm going to leave this here, mostly for binarypork.
If you're super sensitive about spoilers, don't watch.
No story spoilers, just a cool area spoiler for TEW. Footage comes from a bit into Chapter 10.

http://robotbrush.com/corrosivefrost/The Evil Within - Chapter 10.mp4.converted.webm

Recorded at 60fps, without the letterbox (which is why the sniper scoping is a bit fucked up with the black bars, which I didn't even realize at first... LOL), and with the flawless widescreen FOV fix enabled.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
No story spoilers, just a cool area spoiler for TEW. Footage comes from a bit into Chapter 10.

http://robotbrush.com/corrosivefrost/The Evil Within - Chapter 10.mp4.converted.webm

Recorded at 60fps, without the letterbox (which is why the sniper scoping is a bit fucked up with the black bars, which I didn't even realize at first... LOL), and with the flawless widescreen FOV fix enabled.

lol

-MD-

Smooth.

Both the video and your performance.

Pachimari

I wish I could get myself to play The Evil Within. It's funny how horror games are often my most anticipated but when I buy them and start it up once I exit it and can't get myself to jump in again. I need that "nope" dark souls gif.

I'm also strongly thinking of selling my PS4 copies of Ground Zeroes, FIFA 15, GTA V and Advanced Warfare.

I'll get Ground Zeroes for PC on release. Fifa I'll buy digitally. And I'll get GTA for PC but I'm afraid if it'll be optimized well..

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I wish I could get myself to play The Evil Within. It's funny how horror games are often my most anticipated but when I buy them and start it up once I exit it and can't get myself to jump in again. I need that "nope" dark souls gif.

I'm also strongly thinking of selling my PS4 copies of Ground Zeroes, FIFA 15, GTA V and Advanced Warfare.

I'll get Ground Zeroes for PC on release. Fifa I'll buy digitally. And I'll get GTA for PC but I'm afraid if it'll be optimized well..

TEW is about as scary as the RE games. Unless you find those scary too. The moment they give you an arsenal of weapons to deal with enemies, games stop being scary imo. Sure theres the various jump scares, but thats about it. And I dont mean that in a way to shit on the game (or RE for that matter), its just I dont think its a reason not to play them.

Smooth.

Both the video and your performance.

I can't help but think this is sarcasm. :p

That 2nd guy is a jerk. I finally figured out a few good ways to deal with him -- like a blinding bolt or taunting him to follow you and making him climb over the walls.

TEW is about as scary as the RE games. Unless you find those scary too. The moment they give you an arsenal of weapons to deal with enemies, games stop being scary imo. Sure theres the various jump scares, but thats about it. And I dont mean that in a way to shit on the game (or RE for that matter), its just I dont think its a reason not to play them.

The thing with TEW, at least so far for me, is that ammo is limited enough and you probably die if you try to go in being John Rambo everywhere.
One missed trap (I missed a few trip wires in that section of the video), one bad attempt to diffuse a bomb trap for parts, one too many missed shots...

It's not shit my pants terrifying in most cases, but it definitely has it's moments of creepiness and stuff to be afraid of. And it definitely nails that "survival" aspect better than most of the RE games of late.
It really reminds me of a blend of the best of most of the popular horror franchises with a dominant "RE 4-2" type influence.

Right now, I'm pretty sure it's dethroned Dark Souls 2 as my GOTY, pending me getting to something else before the end of the year that could possibly trump it.

-MD-

Some people are really sensitive about that stuff. I don't really find anything about the game to be scary but if you go on twitter you'll see people claiming that can't even continue because of how terrifying it is.

I don't really get it but that's just how some folks are.

I can't help but think this is sarcasm. :p

That 2nd guy is a jerk. I finally figured out a few good ways to deal with him -- like a blinding bolt or taunting him to follow you and making him climb over the walls.

Lol just bein a dick, that crouching guy got me a couple times too at that spot. Flash/shock bolts work well, yes.

looooool

the end made me grin heavily :)
it's like the game played with frost, haha.

but wow, tew looks beautiful. really nice. and the gore is so... chunky.

good to see you apparently found a fix for the bars and 60fps after asking here so often.

Rhaknar

Some people are really sensitive about that stuff. I don't really find anything about the game to be scary but if you go on twitter you'll see people claiming that can't even continue because of how terrifying it is.

I don't really get it but that's just how some folks are.

maybe they find RE scary aswell, /shrug. Ive seen people call RE4 scary so, you know. Each its own. I was giving that dude perspective :)

Jawmuncher

Finally started on some Dark Souls 2. Fun to be playing souls again.
Only thing throwing me off is the reduction in health when dying in hollow state.
Though I GUESS it makes sense. There was never really any reason to go human too often in DS1 if you didn't want to. Though i'm guessing once I get the ring of binding and more health it'll kinda negate that anyway.

looooool

the end made me grin heavily :)
it's like the game played with frost, haha.

but wow, tew looks beautiful. really nice. and the gore is so... chunky.

good to see you apparently found a fix for the bars and 60fps after asking here so often.

Well, the thing I was asking about here a lot was about the Flawless Widescreen TEW plugin fix, because the FOV is too close for me when aiming and I can't deal with it.

Also, I decided to post this as an example of how the game doesn't eff around in spots either... a lot of modern games would make you invincible when you get pulled into that type of QTE grapple... but not this game. It just decapitated us both and went on it's way.

As for the gore? My God, they nailed the sniper rifle... I didn't go insane while trying to find my preferred way through that section because I was more than happy to keep getting those two sniper headshot kills. It's not quite Sniper Elite 3... but it FEELS SO GOOD. :3

Zafir

Only thing throwing me off is the reduction in health when dying in hollow state.
Though I GUESS it makes sense. There was never really any reason to go human too often in DS1 if you didn't want to. Though i'm guessing once I get the ring of binding and more health it'll kinda negate that anyway.

Well, it's how it was on Demon's Souls, though it's a bit more forgiving. In Demon's Souls you either half half health(3/4 with a ring) or full health, depending on whether you were in soul form or body form respectively. I think you also did more damage in soul form despite having half the health if the character was white tendency.

Pachimari

I'm at chapter 2 and it's too scary for me. The old RE games were scary, not RE4. Haven't played RE5/6.

Of course I'll give it a go again someday.

Jawmuncher

Well, it's how it was on Demon's Souls, though it's a bit more forgiving. In Demon's Souls you either half half health(3/4 with a ring) or full health, depending on whether you were in soul form or body form respectively. I think you also did more damage in soul form despite having half the health if the character was white tendency.

It's been so long since I played Demons that I completely forgot.
I go all in when I play and then basically forget everything afterwards.

Asgaro

GIT GUD.

Rhaknar

I'm at chapter 2 and it's too scary for me. The old RE games were scary, not RE4. Haven't played RE5/6.

Of course I'll give it a go again someday.

chapter 1 and 2 are the scariest parts because you still barely have guns :p you get a small arsenal from chapter 3 onward. but hey, if its scary its scary

did my part!

technically I didnt but it got done

zkylon

zkylewd

on release you would just put down your sign and get summoned and fix your health that way

but i hear the community's kinda dead now

Pachimari

Being human only really matters if you want to summon people into your game. And by the half way point you'll have two of those rings that cost only 3000 souls to repair. Odds are you'll rarely, if ever, lose humanity after that.

Maniac

Banned

That thread made me remember how insufferable GAF is outside of this thread.

And to be fair, it's likely Xbone footage, what with their MS partnership and all.

And jesus fucking christ, people need to calm down. TW2 looked really, really unflattering in some of the screens we got two or three months pre-release. And then the game was released and floored everybody, and the salt vanished.

------------------------------------
... Oh god my fiber can't come soon enough. My upload is at 0.4 Mbit, DL at 1.6... -_-

Jawmuncher

And to be fair, it's likely Xbone footage, what with their MS partnership and all.

And jesus fucking christ, people need to calm down. TW2 looked really, really unflattering in some of the screens we got two or three months pre-release. And then the game was released and floored everybody, and the salt vanished.

... Oh god my fiber can't come soon enough. My upload is at 0.4 Mbit, DL at 1.6... -_-

Two Worlds 2 still looks ugly though

twoworlds2-2.jpg

excuse for a dinosaur i know you meant witcher 2

Well, the thing I was asking about here a lot was about the Flawless Widescreen TEW plugin fix, because the FOV is too close for me when aiming and I can't deal with it.

Also, I decided to post this as an example of how the game doesn't eff around in spots either... a lot of modern games would make you invincible when you get pulled into that type of QTE grapple... but not this game. It just decapitated us both and went on it's way.

As for the gore? My God, they nailed the sniper rifle... I didn't go insane while trying to find my preferred way through that section because I was more than happy to keep getting those two sniper headshot kills. It's not quite Sniper Elite 3... but it FEELS SO GOOD. :3
The sounds are really adding a lot the mutilation imo.

And I am surprised at the details everywhere. The film grain effect also looks dope.

Rhaknar

DOA still has the multi level arenas right? thats all I care about

Lomax

Exactly. And does anyone really think CDP would hype Witcher 3 to the extent it has and not deliver as good a game as it possibly can? They are basically staking their entire company on this game. This isn't EA who can afford a disastrous release and just absorb the losses and count on mindless fanboys to keep them afloat, they'd be better off delaying the game another year than releasing something disappointing.

i'm so glad witcha 3 looks worse than advertised

maybe now it'll run well on my computer

Yeah, pretty much this too. You'd think Crysis would have taught game developers that it doesn't matter how good a game looks if 95% of computers can't run it anyway.

Yrael

I do have the Witcher 3 preordered, but my laptop is now a good three years old, lol (and the hinge is broken). I'll need to replace it at some point next year.

chapter 1 and 2 are the scariest parts because you still barely have guns :p you get a small arsenal from chapter 3 onward. but hey, if its scary its scary

did my part!

technically I didnt but it got done

There's a difference between fear and tension -- RE4 definitely had those moments tho... like the first time you encounter the blind guys... and the regenerator can be a bit tense too. It's not like any of these games have me cowering in a corner, rocking back and forth in the fetal position, while i pray to Jesus with all the lights in my house on. But there's this tension, when a game is done right, and you have that survival horror type "will I survive", can I make it to the next save, can I use my ammo here and find enough to defend myself later... that's the stuff when it's done well... and I think TEW does a good job of it in spots. I cannot wait to take on Akumu mode.

As far as you doing your part... a pre-purchase is a pre-purchase, even if it came from the North Pole.

The sounds are really adding a lot the mutilation imo.

And I am surprised at the details everywhere. The film grain effect also looks dope.

True story, my film grain is set to 0.

There's an Xbone version so even the dirtiest PC should be able to run it. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Hahaha. In that case, I need to get a bigger hard drive for my toaster.

Top Bottom