• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Finally finished my degree in Computer Science and Engineering (not sure if this is the correct translation, but nobody knows for sure around these parts), woo!

Here's to the three next months when I'll finally be able to live the good life, aka be a slob and play games all day before I move to London with my GF in March. I won't be able to bring my gaming PC, so I've gota play as much as I can now!

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

AUPeRsu.jpg

Mystery Gift -- MB-6CDE702A05C95EC5 - Taken by Jadax

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
True Crime: NY has no ground textures if played on W7 :(

Who owns the right to the True Crime trademark? Is it Square Enix because of Sleeping Dogs? Would be great if they fixed the other games and put them on Steam.

Acti. Sleeping Dogs is its own thing.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So I just bit the bullet and tried dispenser.tf's "Untradeable gift" bot service. It was a little nerve wracking accepting the trade offer and gifting away my key for nothing, but within seconds of accepting the trade I was gifted the game by the bot.

Now I just have to wait and see if the item I purchased gets removed for credit card fraud or something, which is why that restriction was put in place to begin with. If so, I guess I'm just out 1 key.

Accoun

continuing talk about sims

Is this the game Adam Orth presented on The Game Awards? They released quickly.
joke (just in case)

I used to pirate everything. Then I got a Steam account and now I buy everything :p.

I feel like I'm in the minority that actually bought PC games, looking at forums like GAF. Maybe it has something to do with me being Polish and Polish publishers getting pretty competitive when they matured out. Especially when counting really low wages and piracy - which if my memory serves me well wasn't even illegal until 1994 (trivia: apparently biggest pirates paid taxes like every other company, according to what one of the writers for local gaming mag said). PC games were far cheaper than what foreign console companies set their prices at, every publisher had budget series (even multiple!) with the cheapest going for I think $5 with exchange rates back in the day.

So when I first heard about Steam prices and people raving about it on international forums I was like "what's the deal". :p

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
So I forgot to preorder Superior Raider because I had the idea that it was releasing later, went quickly to GMG to get it (it's 15 with coupon), and turns out the keys are "Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris ROW Launch" and thus no items or anything. Fuck everything :(

So I forgot to preorder Superior Raider because I had the idea that it was releasing later, went quickly to GMG to get it (it's 15 with coupon), and turns out the keys are "Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris ROW Launch" and thus no items or anything. Fuck everything :(

Them cute booty shorts tho... :( Try booting up TF2 anyway you might luck out.

JaseC

Yeah, I think publishers are supposed to tell retailers to bin pre-order keys after a particular date, which clearly didn't happen with Wolf14 as people are still getting pre-order keys more than half a year later. If only Temple of Osiris were published by Bethesda. ;)

Edit: Are the items marketable yet?

Knurek

I feel like I'm in the minority that actually bought PC games, looking at forums like GAF. Maybe it has something to do with me being Polish and Polish publishers getting pretty competitive when they matured out.

You're weird, everybody knows Poles are dirty, dirty pirates.
(And yes, it was completely legal to copy software before the IP law came in place)
I don't think I had 5 legit games before Steam and GOG came up

This looks really awesome...

Isaac without the poop basically...

Oh.my.God.

I need it.

I NEED IT NOW.

I checked yesterday, still not there. Probably won't be in place until 11th

GMG will email people when their keys are ready.
And I'm sure lots of people will post in here with "GMG sent out FF13-2 keys" or something along those lines.
Partially depends on if there's a preload for FF13-2, but I haven't seen anyone say that there is one, so in that case, release day is probably most likely.

C'mon, people, this isn't rocket science or your first day as a Steam user.

... speak of the Devil - I just got my XIII-2 key from GMG ... just FYI :)

Thank you lashman, for proving my point.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Them cute booty shorts tho... :( Try booting up TF2 anyway you might luck out.
One can only hope, but I very much doubt it.

Yeah, I think publishers are supposed to tell retailers to bin pre-order keys after a particular date, which clearly didn't happen with Wolf14 as people are still getting pre-order keys more than half a year later. If only Temple of Osiris were published by Bethesda. ;)

Edit: Are the items marketable yet?
Of course, and I expected them to do it soon, not just *that* fast... stupid Squeenix :(((

Chariot

Being hugged by those arms must feel great :p
So fluffy :3

Is this some kind of a fetish?
It surely is somewhere. But Katawa Shoujo is not a blind fetish fest, its about girls that are different and learned to cope with it differently. It's a really good Visual Novel, if you don't have irrational hatred for the disabled like one of my friends or don't like VNs, you should give it a try.

Salt will be available on Mac and Linux soon, probably as part of the next patch.
Salt is the only multi platform, cross generation pinnacle.

yuraya

Dark Souls finally starting to show some life in steam database after being dead for 11 days.

Speaking of which..and probably a stupid question. But once they patch gfwl out will the game be eligible for family sharing? Were other games in the past eligible once gfwl was patched out?

JaseC

Of course, and I expected them to do it soon, not just *that* fast... stupid Squeenix :(((

Apparently the switch hasn't been flipped just yet as I'm not getting any hits when searching the market.

Edit: Oh, wait, you're referring to the keys, not the items. Duh!

Tizoc

As someone who wants bayo 2 on steam/more systems. Even i know the deal nintendo struck sith sega makes it a wii u if not nintendo system only exclusive.

Backlogger

Worthless spare games:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys and 2 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Backlogger, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe -- MB-F6F85631878807D4 - Taken by NightmareTrigger
War of the Roses Kingmaker -- MB-D453951DD5BA3540
ulgzbKC.png
t1cxE6r.gif
Chester (Desura) -- MB-7FDAC6DF6651C5DA
Space Hack -- MB-675F9444A0A5A9E6
Steel & Steam -- MB-FFD269032C4187D3 - Taken by lindarasta
Metro 2033 -- MB-7C349A31FF1C2A09
Ballpoint Universe -- MB-ABA012F0473B410D - Taken by 7Sins
Metro 2033 #2 -- MB-0BB998761B5F6B63
Tropico 3 -- MB-4B388B396B5D71CF
ulgzbKC.png
Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe (Desura) -- MB-BDF23F69086A8DF3 - Taken by Darth Kupi
SPACE TRADER MERCHANT MARINE -- MB-6DF4C848E56BE85B - Taken by TheMadMan007
Crash Time 2 -- MB-2864AB74E00FCCB8 - Taken by Spring-Loaded

Hopefully these keys all work. Found out with my last giveaway that a gift link I included had expired. I guess I shouldn't hold onto these keys for so long.

Just started Quest for Infamy. Sprites and backgrounds look just like the Quest for Glory series and/or Heroine's Quest, so that's a big plus. Headshots for dialogue seem inconsistent: some are clearly drawn characters, and others seem taken from photographs or FMV (think Jones in the Fast Lane.) I would have preferred they stuck with one style, but I'm sure they had a good reason. Voice acting is mostly good, but some feel kinda samey, as if it's a couple of guys trying to put on different voices. Crude humour abounds: looking at items reminds you to piss on them later when you're drunk, for example.

There's a cool "infamy" points system which seems to grant points depending on whether you're a liar or a jerk to people. It's not really made clear whether you have to ideally go for the most infamy, or if you can play it relatively straight and still succeed (and yes, I know the latter runs counter to the title of the game.)

Got through the introduction where you're asked to talk to the townspeople before a certain event happens, and an achievement popped up...in-game but not on Steam. Checking the forums, they've been aware of this problem since July and it'll be fixed in the next patch. Which is "sometime soon" as of early November. And that's really a shame: just playing it for a little over an hour reveals a lot of potential. The next patch also promises extra content as an apology for the delay, so I'd recommend waiting if you were thinking about this game.

Just started Quest for Infamy. Sprites and backgrounds look just like the Quest for Glory series and/or Heroine's Quest, so that's a big plus. Headshots for dialogue seem inconsistent: some are clearly drawn characters, and others seem taken from photographs or FMV (think Jones in the Fast Lane.) I would have preferred they stuck with one style, but I'm sure they had a good reason. Voice acting is mostly good, but some feel kinda samey, as if it's a couple of guys trying to put on different voices. Crude humour abounds: looking at items reminds you to piss on them later when you're drunk, for example.

There's a cool "infamy" points system which seems to grant points depending on whether you're a liar or a jerk to people. It's not really made clear whether you have to ideally go for the most infamy, or if you can play it relatively straight and still succeed (and yes, I know the latter runs counter to the title of the game.)

Got through the introduction where you're asked to talk to the townspeople before a certain event happens, and an achievement popped up...in-game but not on Steam. Checking the forums, they've been aware of this problem since July and it'll be fixed in the next patch. Which is "sometime soon" as of early November. And that's really a shame: just playing it for a little over an hour reveals a lot of potential. The next patch also promises extra content as an apology for the delay, so I'd recommend waiting if you were thinking about this game.

Thanks for the little review, I was interested in playing the game but will wait for the patch as you recommend.

Anustart

Beat Arkham Asylum and my original verdict stands. City is the much better game, but Asylum was great too, if a little short. I don't understand the praises for it being a metroidvania either, as I feel it's very poor as a metroid styled game.

derExperte

Me too :p

But I can't log in on the AMD page for the moment, something about a 24hour verification period. Which is strange cause I already used the Never Settle page some times in the past

Didn't take 24hrs and I got my keys.

Alien Isolation is btw not available anymore despite its picture still being on the Never Settle page.

Ruruja

This is as real as it gets, son.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ruruja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Real Boxing -- MB-5A09BC6A42FFF837 - Taken by D3RANG3D

Top Bottom