• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Finally got Dead or Alive 5: Last Round! :)

Now I have €18.17 in my Steam wallet. Hopefully that'll be enough for MGS V: Ground Zeroes next week.

You may be slightly short of the mark if there's no early bird discount and Konami adopts 1 USD = 1 EUR.

baterism

I used to pirate everything. Then I got a Steam account and now I buy everything :p. Steam is the best anti-piracy in the market.

Recently converted a friend as well. Guy had like 5 Steam games on his account and mostly pirated games. Then I gifted him a bunch of games. Many bundle extras, Isaac Rebirth, etc. Showed him the various bundle sites and stores with good deals. The guy built a kickass PC since then and bought many games on the Autumn sale, and he is now sitting at 50 games :D

Yep, and for some reasons people like to buy because they can show it off. Steam exactly know how to deal with ego. When buying games, it make sure everyone in friend list know, also when the game played.
All those social experiments seem paying off. Whatever that bring more money to PC market then.

lyZ08Ls.jpg

LMFAOOO destiny gets pretty boring after a while. like at first its nothing amazing but its enjoyable but then you just get sick of doing the same shit over and over and hoping that the RNG gives you something decent(it nearly never does, i never got an exotic/legendary item and i played a good amount of time)

You can rip them apart for it, but renaming of downsampling serves several purposes. One, you can patent your variation of the technique more easily by giving it a name. Two, you avoid any confusion someone inexperienced would have looking up how to enable these features by giving it a more descriptive, unique name so that when they search google for it they're not opening a 4 year old thread about downsampling that's probably incredibly out of date.

Or you can think that they're dumb doodooheads who don't know how silly they sound.

I like the latter more than the other options myself, but I'm not sure it hold much water as the real reasoning behind it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
You can rip them apart for it, but renaming of downsampling serves several purposes. One, you can patent your variation of the technique more easily by giving it a name. Two, you avoid any confusion someone inexperienced would have looking up how to enable these features by giving it a more descriptive, unique name so that when they search google for it they're not opening a 4 year old thread about downsampling that's probably incredibly out of date.

Or you can think that they're dumb doodooheads who don't know how silly they sound.

I like the latter more than the other options myself, but I'm not sure it hold much water as the real reasoning behind it.

*looks over numbering naming scheme both companies use on their actaul released videocards*

I'm gonna go with option B.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

While your justifications for it are not wrong, they heavily attend to the Marketing way of thinking, and not much to the Scientific way of thinking.

The evolution of Downsampling shouldn't be named differently when it's, in reality, just the same thing: Rendering a scene at a higher resolution and displaying it in a smaller resolution, gaining anti-aliasing out of it.

With that said, all the names applied to these Anti-Aliasing solutions are idiotic. FXAA, MSAA, AAx4, so on and so fourth. The only AA option that's both properly named and the one I look for the most in games is NONE, because I like my frames fast, not blurry. I've been playing games since the Atari, I can handle some (natural looking) jaggies. Don't give me any of that 700/900 upsampled to 1080 console nonsense, now that's some terrible shit.

Arthea

Someone please recommend me short but sweet games from this list. I'm still 5 games away from beating the 52 games in 2014 challenge.

from the first glance, really short games on that list are Dear Esther (everything was said about it many times over), DLC Quest (short and funny, imo), Love (not a fan myself, but people seem to like it), Metal Slug 3 is kinda short, seems way longer if you play it alone, though, Proteus (super short but not particularly interesting)

Do you think that all this "console exclusive" nonsense, is going to attract more players to the PC platform?
I mean, the PC has the best performing option of games otherwise exclusive to a single console. It looks like a no-brainer situation where this console-wars nonsense is going to end with more people looking at the PC for a reasonable solution to their gaming needs.

What do you guys think?

Do you think that all this "console exclusive" nonsense, is going to attract more players to the PC platform?
I mean, the PC has the best performing option of games otherwise exclusive to a single console. It looks like a no-brainer situation where this console-wars nonsense is going to end with more people looking at the PC for a reasonable solution to their gaming needs.

What do you guys think?

I don't think so, the reason people usually get a specific console is because of the exclusive games, it's been like that for ages, those are the games that sell consoles.

Maybe a small portion of the userbase will move to PC, but I think it will probably have more to do with the lower PC game cost specially on Steam than games being console exclusive or not.

While your justifications for it are not wrong, they heavily attend to the Marketing way of thinking, and not much to the Scientific way of thinking.

The evolution of Downsampling shouldn't be named differently when it's, in reality, just the same thing: Rendering a scene at a higher resolution and displaying it in a smaller resolution, gaining anti-aliasing out of it.

With that said, all the names applied to these Anti-Aliasing solutions are idiotic. FXAA, MSAA, AAx4, so on and so fourth. The only AA option that's both properly named and the one I look for the most in games is NONE, because I like my frames fast, not blurry. I've been playing games since the Atari, I can handle some (natural looking) jaggies. Don't give me any of that 700/900 upsampled to 1080 console nonsense, now that's some terrible shit.

The silly naming conventions serve several masters, including marketing, legal, corporate, customer service, etc. They're often dumb, sure, but when someone brings up downsampling in the future and they say DSR or VSR or some nonsense like that you can be sure that you know what they're talking about, what manufacturer they're using, a general assumption of how recent of a card it is, and what that technique is capable of, among several other things. And that's kind of the point of the whole naming thing, isn't it?

it's not just an Nvidia or AMD thing, either. anyone going to seriously defend GeDoSaTo as a name? I know what it stands for, I've used it, appreciate Durante's hard work for it, but silly naming conventions for proprietary techniques are often done for myriad of factors, and not just because someone wanted to gin up a snappy name to sound like they've got the hottest stuff in the market.

I don't think so, the reason people usually get a specific console is because of the exclusive games, it's been like that for ages, those are the games that sell consoles.

Maybe a small portion of the userbase will move to PC, but I think it will probably have more to do with the lower PC game cost specially on Steam than games being console exclusive or not.

But if Rise of Tomb Raider is on PC as well, it would mean the PC is the only place to get both, RoTR and SFV.

JaseC

Third-party exclusives are a dying breed. You can bet that Microsoft tried to lock down Rise of the Tomb Raider entirely, and ditto for Sony and SFV, but publishers have come to realise that there's a respectable amount of money to be made in the long tail that the PC offers, and since they have the games the platform holders want, they hold the cards -- "We'll give the Xbox platforms temporary exclusivity", said Squeenix; "We'll forgo the Xbox but not the PC", said Capcom.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

What do you guys think?

yes, I'd like to think that more people would turn to the PC.

Jeff from GiantBomb even discussed it recently on his drives: The Gap between Consoles and PCs have been diminishing with each generation. Last Generation (xbox360 and PS3) you could still see it at the beginning, but the PCs quickly reached the same graphical capability. With the current generation (XboxOne and PS4), the PC pretty much is already on par with the machines since day1, and now, one year later, is already surpassing what can be done graphically.

However, there are issues. These consoles reach tens of millions of people for a reason: They're straight forward to use, you go to a store and you buy it, plug it in, buy a game off a shelf, put it in and they start working.

A PC is much more complex than that. It has many more individual parts that require the end user to be familiar with and, because of that, the end result is not constant. And that's quite an important part of the equation: Sure, the right PC will run a game better. The wrong PC will run a game worse. The same game will run equally on every household that has a XboxOne (or a PS4). That difference in performance on PCs because of their configuration, which is a wonderful thing to the entire ecosystem and to me personally, because I love to get the most out of my hardware by tweaking it, is what prevents it from being a gaming platform that reaches tens of millions of people.

Not only that, there's also the issue of cost. You can't buy a PC that will run Far Cry 4 better than consoles for less than the price of the console. Add in the fact that pre-made PCs are usually more expensive than one that you made yourself, and you got this scenario:

PCs: More expensive, requires minimum-knowledge by the user, runs things better
Console: Cheaper, mass-market appeal (ie: for dumb people), runs things worse

Consoles will always "win" because there are more people that don't have time/interest in hardware dedication, which is a big part of PCs, IMO. What will probably happen is that "gaming consoles" as we know them will drastically change and, maybe, even just be a pre-built PC with a proprietary OS on it.

What do you guys think?
Even without it, PC as a platform is still very attractive. The power gap between the consoles and the PC, new business models(kickstarter, early access) brought forth games that wouldn't exist in the AAA age, and publishers stopped targeting PC gamers to screw over.

fantomena

Third-party exclusives are a dying breed. You can bet that Microsoft tried to lock down Rise of the Tomb Raider entirely, and ditto for Sony and SFV, but publishers have come to realise that there's a respectable amount of money to be made in the long tail that the PC offers, and since they have the games the platform holders want, they hold the cards -- "We'll give the Xbox platforms temporary exclusivity", said Squeenix; "We'll forgo the Xbox but not the PC", said Capcom.

The problem I see is that is the plattform holder buys console exclusivity just because they want it like MS did with RofTR and not if they are buying exclusivity, but then they are also co-developing it like Sony does with Bloodborne and Nintendo with Bayonetta 2.

Sendou

the blackwell games are pretty short

Metal Slug 3 , Metal slug X and sonic generations ,

The fastest will probably be DLC Quest - you could likely finish that in an hour or less. After that would be the Blackwell Games and/or Ben There Dan That.

from the first glance, really short games on that list are Dear Esther (everything was said about it many times over), DLC Quest (short and funny, imo), Love (not a fan myself, but people seem to like it), Metal Slug 3 is kinda short, seems way longer if you play it alone, though, Proteus (super short but not particularly interesting)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Gotta make a list.

Yeah I think a lot of it is simply that getting full-on exclusivity is a lot more expensive than it was five years ago.

But if Rise of Tomb Raider is on PC as well, it would mean the PC is the only place to get both, RoTR and SFV.

And PS4 the only place to get Bloodborne, The Order 1886, Uncharted 4, etc...

Also there's a lot of ppl who don't want to mess with drivers, gfx card brands, upgrades, etc, they just want to buy a game, pop it in and play it. Consoles are great for that, no need to worry about getting poor performance next year when the new batch of games come out, you know that all games will work "fine" on the console for the whole lifecycle.

Arthea

IDK, you guys always talk like niche games don't exist, not only they exist, it's not that small part of the market and very often those games are exclusive to one platform or another because they aren't appealing to mainstream market. I don't see exclusivity dying any time soon, it won't die ever if Nintendo has any say in it too, and Nintendo again isn't that small to dismiss (><)

Turfster

Gamesplanet christmas dailies: Warhammer 40K Dawn of War II 84% off, Pro Cycling Manager 50% off

I Zombie keys are now available on Desura for the IndieRoyale Sigma bundle

Indiegala Friday Special is on happy hour (double the bundles)

finally finished idling my games. thanks to jshackles and co. for making such a great program! I'm now sitting on a nice Ryu from USFIV foil card that's gonna net me some sick $$$

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So did Dungeon Defenders developer eventually treated their employees well enough to make a sequel?

JaseC

The problem I see is that is the plattform holder buys console exclusivity just because rhey want it like MS wdid with RofTR and not if they are buying exclusivity, but then they are also co-developing it like Sony does with Bloodborne and Nintendo with Bayonetta 2.

Bloodborne is being entirely funded by Sony -- it owns everything (IP and the game itself) and is therefore more first-party than third. Something like Bayonetta 2 is the exception to the rule: a game within a third-party franchise that is being entirely bankrolled by a platform holder because the IP owner didn't see the value in greenlighting the project itself.

Edit: I swear Wikipedia's donation banner is becoming increasingly obnoxious.

Arthea

Bloodborne is being entirely funded by Sony -- it owns everything (IP and the game itself) and is therefore more first-party than third. Something like Bayonetta 2 is the exception to the rule: a game within a third-party franchise that is being entirely bankrolled by a platform holder because the IP owner didn't see the value in greenlighting the project itself.

It's still not a first party game, as isn't Bayo2, as I mentioned in previous post (Nintendo securing exclusives)
If console makers can't secure third party exclusives, they still can fund it, and they are taking this way, so no, exclusivity isn't dying.

JaseC

It's still not a first party game, as isn't Bayo2, as I mentioned in previous post (Nintendo securing exclusives)
If console makers can't secure third party exclusives, they still can fund it, and they are taking this way, so no, exclusivity isn't dying.

I didn't say it's a first-party game in the traditional sense, but it is the only example I can recall in recent years of a platform holder funding in full a game within an IP it doesn't own, outside of indie initiatives (e.g. PlayStation Pub Fund games, of which Joe Danger is an example). A platform holder backing a project doesn't necessarily guarantee absolute exclusivity these days: we've seen this already with Dead Rising 3 and Ryse.

Deques

They both are. Sony owns rights to Bloodborne and Nintendo to Bayonetta 2.

Doesn't Sega owns the rights to Bayo 2?

From Wiki said:
Bayonetta 2 (&#12505;&#12520;&#12493;&#12483;&#12479; 2 Beyonetta Ts&#363;?) is an action hack and slash video game developed by Platinum Games and published by Nintendo for the Wii U, with Sega as the franchise owners serving as its advisor.

Top Bottom